Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Do you find the claim that the Japanese like/love nature more than others justified ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they care much more about nature, animals and the environment than the rest of the world

2 7.69%
  • They care a lot by international standards, but less than the Western average

2 7.69%
  • Why would they care more than others ?

10 38.46%
  • They care a lot about seasons and cherry blossoms but kill whales and destroy their environment

6 23.08%
  • No, the Japanese care less about the environment and animals protection than average

2 7.69%
  • I think it is impossible to compare because there is no national trend anywhere

4 15.38%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do the Japanese really love nature more than all other people ?

Sorry if I was wrong in the spelling. It was how I heard it pronounced...I was told it was like Tsunami, so I figured Tsunam was correct. I haven't had a chance to look it up. I was amazed at all the mountains as I arrived well past 11pm and I couldn't see anything from the drive from the train station. All I knew was that the road was really curving and twisting. Imagine my suprise to wake up in the morning and see mountains everywhere. I knew a little about the area, but actually seeing the terrain makes it more real. I think that in that particular area the people were very proud of the natural beauty that surrounds them and they wanted to show it off to me. It somehow reminded me of the highlands in Scotland...
    I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it. ~Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by undrentide View Post
    I'm curious which part of Tokyo you were living and which parts of Tokyo you've visited... (Maybe shitamachi areas??)
    Mostly the 23-ku (where 80% of the Tokyoites live), especially the inner wards. I know better the East Side (Taito-ku, Chuo-ku, Koto-ku, Sumida-ku, Edogawa-ku...).

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I know better the East Side (Taito-ku, Chuo-ku, Koto-ku, Sumida-ku, Edogawa-ku...).
    Oh, that explains a lot. Thanks.
    *I love undrentide by Mediaeval Baebes*
    And here're my bloggies (JP) & (HU)

Mostly the 23-ku (where 80% of the Tokyoites live), especially the inner wards. I know better the East Side (Taito-ku, Chuo-ku, Koto-ku, Sumida-ku, Edogawa-ku...).
    In Katsushika-ku
    there is a nice Mizumoto park.
    http://search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=%...-jp&search.x=1

The poll doesn't have any choices that reflect what I think or seem remotely reasonable, so I chose "Why would they care more than others ?"

Maciamo, I have to say that your have made serious offence to Japanese people under a reasonable title, yea I dont think japanese had shown or do show so significantly more care to nature than other western countires. But when yu pick on linguistic differences to crudely argue for the lack of care of japanese people that in your opinion laying betrayed in light of lacking diversity in verbal interpretations. modern western languages undoubtfully are developed from greek, latin, and various tribal dialects that have been used by ancient European minorities, (I am not a expert on this so let me just mention it as a superfacially as a simple truth can be tell by an ordinary language speaker) you can see how many words english,french, spanish, german share no matter which is the original, so they are evolved from a very long multicultural confluence but Japanese language didnt enjoy cosmopolitan interchanges and influence from other cultures than Chinese untill near modernity. so It is clear you have made a unfair argue by chosing an historically advantaged stance. and however you remind your superfacially reasonable title of your topic, you are prejudiced and offensive in your following posts. Generally European languages are more culturally multifaceted, so English not only shows how you english people feel about thing but also records how others feels about the same things. So the powerful english does not speak for that english speakers care more powefully about things than others do.

Onthe other hand, a language having more alternative words for whatever, or clearer classifications for whatever, it only shows in literary attitude or scientific attitude of people to the objects, and it does only show higher education but not higher moral awareness or conscience.

I think the state of Japanese 'nature' would be far worse if they were forced to break their over-reliance on foreign meat and dairy. Currently Japan has an overwhelming appetite for meat, fish and dairy products (as well as having the highest tier-stacking levels of battery hens, currently at 18), also with no specific animal laws. If they were forced to keep up the same rate of meat and dairy consumption, they would have considerable problems.

I personally don't think that the country as a whole has much respect or knowledge of other species...perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I hear the words something like Mega Mac/teriyaki, food fighters or whatever.
    Seeing a statistics on obesity, there are much time to catch up with the trend in other countries.
    http://www.oecdobserver.org/images//1045.photo.jpg

About the sea food consumption, it must be the worldwide trend, but Japanese should realise that it is strange that we can eat 100 yen sushi.

I am really concerned about increase of eco-friendly farmers in the US or China.
    They prefer corn to soy bean for bio fuel. "No corn for cars, more soy bean for people", I will defintely join the demonstration in the near future.

The thread title made me laugh out loud!

I have seen more litter in this country then anywhere I have ever been. I like Japan but this thread is ridiculous. Garbage everywhere and the bears are extinct in some prefs. Does the O.P. even live here? It does not sound like it?

I think they "praise" nature more such as the cherry blossom events (sorry I don't know what they are called) and haiku which is primarily centered around nature. Since Japan is an island about the size of California with lots of mountains, forests, rivers, etc., the nature aspect of Japan is more obvious because it is easier to look around and see it. In Japan it was a common belief that everything had a spirit or god, such as water, trees, rocks, etc.

As for respecting nature, I think they are like any other country. Pollution is definitely there in Japan and you can see garbage and litter relatively easy. However, the country is very crowded so the pollution is magnified and more concentrated. That's my two-cents anyways.
    "I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong.[...]I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me."
    -Richard Feynman

I've been reading "Collapse" by Jared Diamond, which is a good book in my opinion. He mentioned Japan has over 70% of its land covered by trees. For any industrialized country, it would be a balancing act between business and environment. By looking at Japan's recycling policy, Japan is managing the environmental issues quite well compared to other countries.

Ooo! Jared Diamond, a name I do respect. Statistically, it might be good to keep in mind, along with that most likely fact, that a large percent of Japan is mountianside as well. . . and it's a bit expensive to build into a mountain.

I have always respected much of the effort to recycle, but one does find a few hang-ups here and there.

about Japanese four seasons, It is neither only the weather, trees nor a temperature etc.
    I think I think the traditional thing of the season can be included.

Banned
    If Japan cared so much about nature, why the whaling?

"Why would they care more than others ?"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345