Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Public shaming in China

Public shaming in China

I don't know what to make of this, public shaming of prostitutes is a tatic that's being used by the Chinese government in an attempt to combat the problem of sex trade. But I don't agree with this tatic, and many people seem to think that this was just like the days of China's Cultural Revolution where people were publically shamed and forced to make confessions.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/...s/shenzhen.php
    http://zonaeuropa.com/200611.brief.htm#115
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

It's a real shame that something like that may happen nowdays.
    I hope the chinese government realizes that, and stop with the parades.

Public shaming has a history in both domestic and international Chinese politics (c.f. PRCs repeated references to Japan's war legacy). Domestically it has been part of the construction of Chinese nationalism, particularly as mentioned, during the Cultural Revolution.

The interesting thing will be to see how the public outcry against this kind of punishment will affect civil rights in the PRC.

I almost forgot about this thread.

I happy to say there has been outcry, especially from Chinese bloggers. Most people are calling this a violation of human rights. Besides, if the Chinese government really wants to combat prostitution this isn't the way to do it.

You SPAM/We BAN !

Modern shaming ?

Seems like we do the same thing today only use the internet. Here in Maine we post all the pictures of pedophiles and where they live; even pass out posters door to door where they live. They have tried websites where they put pictures and info on of men convicted of solicitating prostitutes, people convicted of drunk driving, etc. ; kind of a modern day way of shaming them into behaving.Once in a while you see where a judge sentences a person to wear a big sign around their neck and stand in public to avoid paying a large fine.

Uncle Frank

TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SUGAR !!
    I USED TO BE FUNNY, BUT MY WIFE HAD ME NEUTERED!

I doubt no matter the public outcry Chinese government will still do what it see fit. Even if it stomps over human rights.
    When you complain about the farmer try not to talk with your mouth full.