Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Are Chinese more favourable towards Americans or Japanese?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Americans

    25 62.50%
  • Japanese

    15 37.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59

Thread: Are Chinese more favourable towards Americans or Japanese?

  1. #1
    lawl
    Join Date
    Jul 21, 2006
    Posts
    2

    Are Chinese more favourable towards Americans or Japanese?

    Which culture does the Chinese in general have better opinions of?

  2. #2
    Resident Realist nice gaijin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 8, 2005
    Posts
    104
    There are about 1.3 billion people living in China, about 130 million in Japan and almost 300 million in the US. Your question seems to be unanswerable without the aid of wild generalizations or massive amounts of research.

  3. #3
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    This is a Japan-oriented forum,where we have no more than 6 regular forumers of Chinese descent out of several thousand active members.

    Your thread can get higher poll numbers and replies on any Chinese forums than here.

    The correct answer is 50/50,for Chinese younger generation is awaking to the fact of US military " encirlcement " of their country plus Taiwan issue despite lingering hate for Japan on unresolved WW 2 matters.
    Last edited by ricecake; Jul 21, 2006 at 17:30.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2006
    Posts
    111
    Are there many Chinese members posting here on JRef?

  5. #5
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    Nope ....

    Me here in USA
    one = Canada
    one = France
    two = mainland China
    one = Hong Kong

    We're the regular forumers,plus a few come and go.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 25, 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2
    im from Hong Kong, so yeah, i'm Chinese

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2006
    Posts
    111
    I take it that posters like the character that started this thread, tokyo, get under your skin a bit.

  8. #8
    Banned osias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 4, 2006
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by tokyo
    Which culture does the Chinese in general have better opinions of?
    I do get the impression that the Chinese in general have a more variety of views towards the US or Americans, whereas they are more likely to stereotype the Japanese.

  9. #9
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    Blame it on extreme anti-Japan Chinese mass media machine.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2006
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by iwumuyi
    Yes, both the two cultures are admirable, but think of the war atrocities committed by japanese and the general attitude towards the past war in ja-society, who dare say chinese are loving japan?

    actually, most people here like japan, not a militarily and politically ambitious japan, but a peace-loving, tolerant japan.


    welcome to my blog at http://wumuyi.spaces.msn.com (blogging the ups and downs of China )
    You know I am not a professor of history regarding Japan or China yet throughout the histories of both countries atrocities have been committed.

    Neither country is without fault.

    For Chinese to blame Japanese for their atrocities is one thing, yet in Chinese history MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of people were sacrificed from the hands of the CHINESE people against CHINESE.

    In Japanese history Japanese are guilty of indiscretions against numerous countries and their people throughout Asia.

    This is the history of nearly all countries throughout the world....hell in the US Native American's were slaughtered by the millions, just so the "white" settlers could have more land.

    Do I need to go on..............

    Almost every country every where is to "blame". Don't you think it is time to let history be history?

    Why in the heck can't people learn to look to the future instead of constantly living in the past? Does it make you "feel" better as a person to blame an event that happened probably before you were born to justify your hate today?

    Question here to our Japanese and Chinese members;

    To our Chinese members;

    Do you actually KNOW any Japanese people? AND if you do Are they decent or "nice"? OR Are they animal's to be despised and if so WHY do you despise them, because of something they did to you personally or because of something you were taught or told from a history book or teacher?

    To our Japanese members;

    Do you actually KNOW any Chinese people? AND if you do ARE they decent or "nice? OR Are they animal's to be despised and if so WHY do you despise them, because of something they did to you personally of because of something you were taught of told from a history book or teacher?

    I personally lost relatives, my Dad's brother's among others during the Pacific War in WWII, that doesn't mean I HATE all Japanese because of an event that happened BEFORE I was born.

    My wife is Japanese, my children are "half" Japanese "half" American, they are living reminders of the atrocities that Japan caused upon my family....yeah right I think not.

    To those Chinese members and Japanese members out there that are over 60 years old, because the "rest" HAVE NO ACTUAL MEMORY OF ANY ATROCITIES, I ask do you hate the Japanese people so much even today?

    OR have you learned that to carry such a hate does nothing but cause you heartburn.

    I ASK ALL OF YOU JAPANESE AND CHINESE>>>>"WHERE DOES YOUR HATE COME FROM?" Please explain to me how you can hate a country and it's people for something that YOU are not directly concerned with.?!?!

  11. #11
    Hullu RockLee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 22, 2004
    Location
    Espoo
    Age
    37
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro
    To our Chinese members;

    Do you actually KNOW any Japanese people? AND if you do Are they decent or "nice"? OR Are they animal's to be despised and if so WHY do you despise them, because of something they did to you personally or because of something you were taught or told from a history book or teacher?
    A while ago a Chinese girl added me to skype, and when we were talking I told her I studied Japanese, and I love Japan and all the relating things. She said she didn't like Japanese people, and when I asked her if she knew any Japanese she said "NO" !!? Come on, you dislike a whole nation because you are told in school to dislike Japanese? Yet you don't know any Japanese person at all. It's sad things like this happen on daily basis. Chinese and Japanese should put the past aside !
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tylsä - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.

  12. #12
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    I've written close to 10 lengthy subjective detailed posts this past week in regard to " WHY " all round hating of Japan and Japanese @ undergroundglobal forum in response to this one 4th generation Japanese-American forum moderator's " enquiring mind " wanted to fully understand.

    Koreans have " unwavering hatred " toward Japan and Japanese as well.

    General consensus among Chinese and Koreans,Japanese race is " spiteful and underhanded " yellow folk.

    My copy of " The Chrysanthemum and The Sword " written by Ruth Benedict,confirmed the " spiteful nature " of Japanese people.
    Last edited by ricecake; Jul 24, 2006 at 04:12.

  13. #13
    Happy 4321go's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 19, 2004
    Posts
    119
    It is interesting that the Japanese I have ever met is friendly ,and also I treat them friendly too,without any difficulty~

    Maybe China and Japan can be the closest (or best)neighbor.but not today !

  14. #14
    Banned osias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 4, 2006
    Posts
    74
    In China, it seems patriotism is measured by how much you hate Japan.

    I frequent to a Chinese language forum, their conversation goes like this:

    A:"I hate Japan!"
    B:" You are a patriotic Chinese!"

  15. #15
    Twirling dragon Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 17, 2002
    Location
    Posts
    2,434
    Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin
    There are about 1.3 billion people living in China, about 130 million in Japan and almost 300 million in the US. Your question seems to be unanswerable without the aid of wild generalizations or massive amounts of research.
    Or some well-targeted professional survey. Given that both the Chinese people and government seem to hold fairly antagonistic feelings towards Japan, and that in the last decade they have so readily welcomed American investors, copied the American model and even made English their favoured 2nd language for business, my "impression" is that if we did survey the Chinese population, more would admit "liking" the US better than Japan. That is just my feeling/supposition, and I believe this is what we are asked for in this poll, isn't it ? We surely can't expect any JREF member to 'know' the exact answer in percentage...

    Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2006
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by iwumuyi
    Are u japanese?
    No I'm not, yet I live in Japan.

    Yes, we should look forward to the future and put aside the past, but you know what, when we chinese are live harmoniously with japanese, Koizumi stood out and paid a visit to the Yasukuni, and a textbook distorting history published, and right-wing clamoured "Nanking massacre is a lie!", and....
    Ok, but how does that directly affect YOU as a Chinese person? I have never read a Chinese textbook, so I will ask you in all seriousness; "How do Chinese textbooks treat the "Cultural Revolution", or "The Great Leap Forward?" How do they write about the oppression of the Tibetian people striving for indpendence? These are used just as examples to suggest that each and any country has historical problems.

    How does Koizumi's going to Yaskuni, (which btw I disagree with as well) affect you other than "symbolically"?
    Last edited by changedonrequest; Jul 24, 2006 at 08:15.

  17. #17
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    Errr .... someone is off-topic here.

    How do those unfortunate events in China during 1950-1970 equate to OP's question

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2006
    Posts
    111
    Quote Originally Posted by ricecake
    Errr .... someone is off-topic here.

    How do those unfortunate events in China during 1950-1970 equate to OP's question
    It is the natural extension of the questions that were being asked being answered that's all.

    Topics like this one have that tendency.....to go in different directions.

    And it isn't just my post there are numerous other ones that are not "strictly" on topic either. Including yours.


    513

  19. #19
    Regular Member Timey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 12, 2006
    Posts
    14

    Talking

    is chinese descendent ok?
    well..i take it as yes

    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro

    To our Chinese members;

    Do you actually KNOW any Japanese people? AND if you do Are they decent or "nice"? OR Are they animal's to be despised and if so WHY do you despise them, because of something they did to you personally or because of something you were taught or told from a history book or teacher?
    yes, i KNOW and they're decent.
    we're all animals with little more arrogancy and little bit more intelligence.
    i do not despise. I married one of them.
    no history book or teacher.
    learnt it from an old-retired-nice-ex-soldier, excused from the WWII caused by fatal injuries (read. grenade) who happened to be my father.


    To our Japanese members;

    Do you actually KNOW any Chinese people? AND if you do ARE they decent or "nice? OR Are they animal's to be despised and if so WHY do you despise them, because of something they did to you personally of because of something you were taught of told from a history book or teacher?
    answers from my hubby :

    yes...but if you mean from the China mainland, I worked with them.
    nice, but never stop talking. I married one of this chatterboxes.
    I learnt more history from my chatterbox than I got from my school.
    They say only the good die young. If that works both ways, I'm immortal

  20. #20
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    Appearily fake Chinese OP sought out " real " Chinese to answer his survey on this Japan-oriented forum.
    Last edited by ricecake; Jul 24, 2006 at 15:00.

  21. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 5, 2006
    Posts
    111
    Timey, thank you! I also like the "little" cultural points you added as well.

    I am married to a Japanese woman from Okinawa and her thoughts are similar to mine about "relationships" between people of different countries.

    Not to say that we are naive but truly question how people from one country and another can have so much hatred for each other for things that happened before they were born.

    For Japanese and Chinese I think some of these hatred's go back much farther than just since WWII.


    Absolutely,as appearily fake Chinese OP sought out " real " Chinese to answer his survey on this Japan-oriented forum.
    Thanks for answering for me........

    Oh and since it was my question and not the OP's I am more than happy to have any ethnic Chinese and or Japanese answer the questions I posted.

  22. #22
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro

    For Japanese and Chinese I think some of these hatred's go back much farther than just since WWII.
    This is absolutely NOT TRUE,China's issue with Japan mainly circle around WW 2.

    It's hatred between Japanese and Koreans extends back to Imjin War 1592-98 devasted Korea peninsula barely could recuperated one century later still has long last impact on Koreans mindset.Japan's Kyoto Minizuka Monument enshrines " ears and noses " of 36,000 Koreans slaughtered by Hideoyoshi's Army in this war.

    Last year's S Korea's major TV network KBS produced an epic drama depicting their national hero in " The Undefeated Yi Shun Sin " with many sea battle scenes,he was the Korean commander of infamous Turtle Ships.

  23. #23
    Banned osias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 4, 2006
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro
    For Japanese and Chinese I think some of these hatred's go back much farther than just since WWII.
    I doubt any Japanese would hate the Chinese because of history. It's usually the Chinese who first bring up the topic, and not the other way round.

    Cool avatar, btw

  24. #24
    Banned ricecake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 13, 2006
    Location
    Dublin,California
    Posts
    174
    There are Japanese families victimized by A-bomb still have some " residual " hatred or resentment toward Americans.

    The historic relation between Japan and China was mainly " cultural enlightment " not of military or political conflicts,Japanese never had a " reason " to hate Chinese.

    It's Japanese bit " the hands = China/Korea " civilized them for many centuries.

    The failed Mongol invasion of Japan was a military aggression by northern Nomadic tribes,not a Chinese dynasty of Central Plains region ( China ).

    Japan Inc 's economic aggression assault on America failed in 1990's.Nowadays,many ordinary Americans know better not ignorantly regard Japanese as " superficial friends " but a yellow race they have to stay on guard.
    Last edited by ricecake; Jul 25, 2006 at 23:34.

  25. #25
    Regular Member Timey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 12, 2006
    Posts
    14

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro
    Timey, thank you! I also like the "little" cultural points you added as well.

    I am married to a Japanese woman from Okinawa and her thoughts are similar to mine about "relationships" between people of different countries.

    Not to say that we are naive but truly question how people from one country and another can have so much hatred for each other for things that happened before they were born.

    ...
    well..
    it's just i don't think i'm in a position to determine whether i 'hate' or 'love' any countries and people

    actually I'd like to say
    what's over is over, it's something you can't change, you weren't even born by that time (WWII)!!

    BUT
    i'll be doomed if i'd ever been such an ignorant.
    some people had all their family members slaughtered back then..who TF has a right to tell them to forget it and move on ? definitely not me, cos i happened to know some of them.

    so, i'd like to say
    i'm standing somewhere between the lines..
    I can't judge people from their country
    'hate' or 'like' ? .......?
    somebody shoot me! haha..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. China's rapid rise spurs Americans to learn Chinese
    By Zauriel in forum China & the USA : Bilateral relations
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Aug 10, 2005, 02:19
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jun 3, 2004, 06:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •