Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Negative, postive or informative ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RockLee
    Things CAN change, and I hope they will.
    Ok, what needs to be done for things to change, or is that the same as wishing for world peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro
    I'm sure you are aware that there are huge differences between the Moderator's and Admin here.
    What do you know about me ? You have only joined the forum 3 months after I left Japan, at a time when I hardly posted about Japan. You have done nothing but provoke me since you joined... Talk about being negative.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

He merely mentioned the difference between a mod and an admin...many people do not seem to understand the difference. Let's not start another tiff over something stupid!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CC1
    He merely mentioned the difference between a mod and an admin...many people do not seem to understand the difference. Let's not start another tiff over something stupid!
    Thanks, It would be helpful, like RockLee remarked

Things CAN change, and I hope they will.
    for Maciamo to directly address those concerns, rather than attempt to bait me into an argument that I would refuse to join into.

Quote Originally Posted by CC1
    He was clearly implying to Ghettocities that I probably couldn't have helped him growing up.

Anyway, the difference between a mod and an admin is that an admin has more power. For example : add new subforums, create new usergroups, elect moderators, add smileys and avatars, prune inactive users, set hundreds of forum options (quick reply, flags, reputation system, registration options...), etc.

Personally I do not think that an admin should refrain from moderating as admins have some abilities that mods do not have. What's more I think an admin is responsible for creating new topics and keep the forum alive (even if that means create controversy). On most forums I know, admins act as "super-moderators", and do take an active part in the forum life. I approve this view, but Thomas doesn't.

Here on JREF, 'forum admin' also equals 'site owner' (except for Twisted). Our job as site owner is so much more than the forum alone. It includes site design (mostly me), server administration (mostly Thomas), writing articles (mostly me), approving new photos, classified ads, directory websites, and banners (mostly Thomas), and more.

In other words, Thomas and I both take care of administrative tasks (me more on the forum, him more for the server), but I am the only admin really taking my role as moderator on top of that. Splitting offtopic discussions, banning spammers, trolls and flammers, closing or deleting threads were arguments are too heated or from which nothing good can come, are all admins and mods' responsibilities.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    He was clearly implying to Ghettocities that I probably couldn't have helped him growing up.

Maciamo, damn you are good.....I've never met you, seen you, or talked to you, ever before in my life and you can read my mind better than my wife whom I have seen, lived with, argued with, made love to, made our children with, and been partners and friends with for over 20 years.

Maciamo If you could figure out a way to patent that you'd be a millionare.

Anyway, the difference between a mod and an admin is that an admin has more power. For example : add new subforums, create new usergroups, elect moderators, add smileys and avatars, prune inactive users, set hundreds of forum options (quick reply, flags, reputation system, registration options...), etc.

Personally I do not think that an admin should refrain from moderating as admins have some abilities that mods do not have. What's more I think an admin is responsible for creating new topics and keep the forum alive (even if that means create controversy). On most forums I know, admins act as "super-moderators", and do take an active part in the forum life. I approve this view, but Thomas doesn't.

Here on JREF, 'forum admin' also equals 'site owner' (except for Twisted). Our job as site owner is so much more than the forum alone. It includes site design (mostly me), server administration (mostly Thomas), writing articles (mostly me), approving new photos, classified ads, directory websites, and banners (mostly Thomas), and more.

In other words, Thomas and I both take care of administrative tasks (me more on the forum, him more for the server), but I am the only admin really taking my role as moderator on top of that. Splitting offtopic discussions, banning spammers, trolls and flammers, closing or deleting threads were arguments are too heated or from which nothing good can come, are all admins and mods' responsibilities.
    Anyway....I am glad to see that finally there was a more detailed explaination about what the functions of each are here.

Much appreciated.

Ps. You brought up some interesting topics within that post that hopefully other members will catch on to and comment on. As of right now I for one will not.

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    Having two or more co-heads running any organization or company is usually a recipe for disaster, especially as well as it appears these two knew each other when Thomas brought him on as a full partner.
    Why was Maciamo given the job then?.

admin

/ad-min'/ n. Short for `administrator'; very commonly
    used in speech or on-line to refer to the systems person in charge
    on a computer. Common constructions on this include `sysadmin' and
    `site admin' (emphasizing the administrator's role as a site contact
    for email and news) or `newsadmin' (focusing specifically on news).
    Admins are infact for 90% of all forums I've ever frequented, there to keep the forum and website running, not for moderating, which is in nearly all cases left exclusively to the moderation staff.

Most admins mind tend to be busy with other things then getting caught in forum tiffs though.

On most forums I know, admins act as "super-moderators", and do take an active part in the forum life. I approve this view, but Thomas doesn't.
    Is there another entirely independent internet I havnt been informed of then?.
    Just out of curiosity..

As I said in another thread, Maciamo, you are a good contributor and apart from the SVF problems I would never had trouble with you (which I also think made you feel under assault and stressed and coincedently end up lashing out at some folk) but I think its a good idea to find some mature regular members (if thats possible, ) and ask them to become mods, and distance yourself from this aspect of your "job description".

it will free you up to be as contriversal in yoyr postings as you want, without the headache of "corrupt moderator" thats has been chucked about, let your mods do their job, while you enjoy the forum you've helped build without the daily hassle of moderation.

Actually, that would be the stupidest thing I ever heard Nuri. Would you give up sex because some people think you're not fit for it? Mac. likes posting, and he has every right to post whenever he wants. Perhaps he can ask another mod to moderate the discussion tho
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tylsä - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.

Admins are infact for 90% of all forums I've ever frequented, there to keep the forum and website running, not for moderating, which is in nearly all cases left exclusively to the moderation staff.
    That is my experience as well although I don't have a concern with Maciamo positing as regularly as he does to the extent the topic is kept firmly in mind, in other words what is external to his own personality or temperment and especially that of other posters.

Quote Originally Posted by RockLee
    Actually, that would be the stupidest thing I ever heard Nuri. Would you give up sex because some people think you're not fit for it? Mac. likes posting, and he has every right to post whenever he wants. Perhaps he can ask another mod to moderate the discussion tho
    .....Thats what I said....

. . .think its a good idea to find some mature regular members (if thats possible, ) and ask them to become mods, and distance yourself from this aspect of your "job description". . .it will free you up to be as contriversal in your postings as you want, without the headache of "corrupt moderator" thats has been chucked about. . .
    0wnz0r3d.

I think "corrupt moderator" is entirely too harsh and unjustified a term. A sometimes seemingly unpricincipled moderator, yes. A corrupt moderator, no.

Non-Member
    The word corrupt conjures images of politicians accepting bribes, etc. This is not Maciamo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan
    The word corrupt conjures images of politicians accepting bribes, etc. This is not Maciamo.
    At least there isnt the opportunity at a forum to judge corruption in the sense of lying, bribery or anything illegal so it only reflects poorly on the poster to throw around defamatory terms that cant be substantiated as a turn of phrase or catchy epithet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan
    Lets just say then Maciamo is a competent politician who is known for occassionally saying something a bit contriversial in the public eye.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nurizeko
    Lets just say then Maciamo is a competent politician who is known for occassionally saying something a bit contriversial in the public eye.

If that is so then I would say that he risks the chance of not being elected because of his rather "hard-headed" view of many different topics. Maciamo seems to be a good man, BUT he doesn't have the political nuance to be flexible enough to win an election.

Quote Originally Posted by Hachiro
    If that is so then I would say that he risks the chance of not being elected because of his rather "hard-headed" view of many different topics. Maciamo seems to be a good man, BUT he doesn't have the political nuance to be flexible enough to win an election.
    Political in the sense of knowing how to work the system to your advantage and
    liking I would definately agree with....gotta give him credit for that.

negative and positive refer to your prescription and vision...negative is associated with nearsightedness and positive is associated with farsightedness

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234