Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandarin vs Spanish, which should I learn???

Mandarin vs Spanish, which should I learn???

Mandarin vs Spanish, which should I learn???

I dunno which should I learn.

Spanish is a secound-language in USA,
    Mandarin is most spoken in the world, because China is a big country.

Alot of people speak Spanish in the USA
    Fewer people speak Mandarin in the USA

Spanish and chinese is more complex than English

Chinese is complex but uses a tonal language
    Spanish is complex and dont ussa a tonal language

German used to be ammerica`s secound language , but something happened that they changed it to Spanish , so couldnt the same thing happen to Spanish?

Nobody changed America's second language to Spanish. It's that way because of the gigantic number of Spanish-speaking people in the United States right now. The United States has no official second or first language, and any language that holds one of those roles does so because of the number of people who speak it.

It's none of our business to tell you whether to study Chinese or Spanish. Plenty of people study Spanish and not Chinese, and vice versa. Spanish is probably easier to learn because it doesn't involve kanji, and because Chinese has tones, and several vowels and consonants that don't exist in English.

Whatever you do, please, pick one and stick to it. Also, try to secure a good understanding of the language before trying to teach it to any babies.

Study whatever langauge you want to study.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    Study whatever langauge you want to study.
    Yeah, try to think what you would really most enjoy beyond the current trends. Or go to the library, check out the books on each and stick with whatever draws your interest the greatest. What is popular, most spoken where etc. aren't motivations anyway unless you plan to do something with it.

If you ask me, though, you should forget about both of those and learn Esperanto. It has very simple pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar, and it will soon be spoken all over the world, so you'd only be helping yourself by getting a headstart.
    Also, when you decide to teach it to an infant, it'll be that much easier for you.

Quote Originally Posted by justin9213
    Mandarin is most spoken in the world, because China is a big country.
    Mandarin is spoken by the most people, but the most widely spoken language is English not mandarin. I'd learn Spanish. Not only is it used within the US, it is also used throughout South and Central America, bar a few countries,, Brazil being one (Portugese). Spanish is also like English in respect that it evolves and will quite readily take foreign words and 'spanishify' them. Okay Spanishify is made up, but I think it fits
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmySeal
    If you ask me, though, you should forget about both of those and learn Esperanto. It has very simple pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar, and it will soon be spoken all over the world, so you'd only be helping yourself by getting a headstart.
    That has been said for a great many years and doesn't actually hold much water.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

You have to ask yourself, Why am I learning this language? I don't know if I would learn Mandarin on a lark, but if you are interested in international finance in the future, it's said to be a very good language to learn.

I'm learning Japanese because it helps me interact with Japanese people better, even in situations where we both share knowlege of English... in order to better understand the subcultures and writings... sometimes I feel that I may not put any of this knowledge to practical use, but learning a foreign language can be rewarding in and of itself.

Ask yourself, What language would I most enjoy learning? Right now it seems like you are standing before a dartboard full of languages and picking one at random.
    (flickr: pgh, japan & korea, santa cruz ) (blog: eyesonthewires) (j-rock)

Our greatest pretenses are built up not to hide the evil and the ugly in us, but our emptiness. The hardest thing to hide is something that is not there.
    -Eric Hoffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    Mandarin is spoken by the most people, but the most widely spoken language is English not mandarin. I'd learn Spanish. Not only is it used within the US, it is also used throughout South and Central America, bar a few countries,, Brazil being one (Portugese). Spanish is also like English in respect that it evolves and will quite readily take foreign words and 'spanishify' them. Okay Spanishify is made up, but I think it fits
    Mandarin is becoming common currency, particularly in Asia where trade ties with the Middle Kingdom are supplanting those of the region's longtime primary partner, the U.S. Indeed, because English is spoken so universally, it no longer offers companies and employees the edge it once did,In many Asian countries, in Europe and the USA, Mandarin has emerged as the new must-have language.

Mandarin is becoming common currency, particularly in Asia where trade ties with the Middle Kingdom are supplanting those of the region's longtime primary partner, the U.S. Indeed, because English is spoken so universally, it no longer offers companies and employees the edge it once did,In many Asian countries, in Europe and the USA, Mandarin has emerged as the new must-have language.
    It might be become a new must have language, but the language of international commerce is English. It is also the language used by air travel and maritime. About 90 to 95 % of net use is in English and more people in China than live in the US are learning English at any one time. There is not that kind of take up with Mandarin, especially when it is not spoken in regions within its own country of origin.

Just a couple of things. This might interest you on the worlds most influential languages. Notice Chinese, not mandarin is given as 6th, below English, French and Spanish.

Link

After weighing six factors (number of primary speakers, number of secondary speakers, number and population of countries where used, number of major fields using the language internationally, economic power of countries using the languages, and socio-literary prestige), Weber compiled the following list of the world's ten most influential languages:
    (number of points given in parentheses)

1. English (37)
    2. French (23)
    3. Spanish (20)
    4. Russian (16)
    5. Arabic (14)
    6. Chinese (13)
    7. German (12)
    8. Japanese (10)
    9. Portuguese (10)
    10. Hindi/Urdu (9)

Okey! I will learn Spanish.

What happened to learning what you enjoy?

After weighing six factors (number of primary speakers, number of secondary speakers, number and population of countries where used, number of major fields using the language internationally, economic power of countries using the languages, and socio-literary prestige), Weber compiled the following list of the world's ten most influential languages:
    (number of points given in parentheses)

1. English (37)
    2. French (23)
    3. Spanish (20)
    4. Russian (16)
    5. Arabic (14)
    6. Chinese (13)
    7. German (12)
    8. Japanese (10)
    9. Portuguese (10)
    10. Hindi/Urdu (9)

Okey! I will learn Spanish.
    I'm surprised French, Russian and Portuguese scored so high....certainly not for the economic power of countries who speak it which is what it seemed you were most interested in

Anyway, Spanish is probably the easiest second language for English speakers
    and Chinese the most challenging so the choice depends far more on your own motivation and abilities than what everyone else is doing.

Mandarin is becoming common currency, particularly in Asia where trade ties with the Middle Kingdom are supplanting those of the region's longtime primary partner...
    When you plagiarize material from places such as Time magazine, you should really cite your sources. I knew it sounded a bit too eloquent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
    Anyway, Spanish is probably the easiest second language for English speakers and Chinese the most challenging
    How d'you figure?
    Last edited by JimmySeal; Jun 29, 2006 at 23:51.

I supposed because it is very different from English.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty
    I supposed because it is very different from English.
    For some people it may be Arabic or Finnish or Korean I suppose but that wasn't what this discussion was about....Japanese is all I'm sure should not be carelessly tossed on that pile.

Well if you're only talking about Spanish and Chinese, the correct wording is:

Anyway, Spanish is probably the easier second language for English speakers and Chinese the more challenging

Otherwise, without qualifying a range, it sounds like you're saying Spanish is the easiest of all second languages and Chinese the hardest.

There are dozens of languages that are surely more challenging than Chinese for many or most English speakers. Japanese, Greek and Russian, to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySeal
    Well if you're only talking about Spanish and Chinese, the correct wording is:
    Anyway, Spanish is probably the easier second language for English speakers and Chinese the more challenging
    Otherwise, without qualifying a range, it sounds like you're saying Spanish is the easiest of all second languages and Chinese the hardest.
    There are dozens of languages that are surely more challenging than Chinese for many or most English speakers. Japanese, Greek and Russian, to name a few.
    It was an intentionally exaggerated comparison designed to get the OPs attention. Of course I understand the difference between the most and one of the most.

Heart

Choose to learn chinese of course!!! There are chinese all over the world!
    Chinese is the most fruitful race of all race!!!
    ------
    At least I can be called as special, at worst, I am just weird!
    ------

Many people are taking Chinese/Mandarin because of business. If you go to Japan, and can't speak a word of Japanese, mime for a piece of paper and write down what you want in Chinese, and then give it to the person.

Chinese = Kanji. Sort of.

I like Chinese, but that's probably only because I'm from Taiwan.

I don't like Spanish, because I am fluent in English, and it sounds like a distorted version of English. And that confuses me. XD

Pick what you want, and have fun~~

[offtopic]
    Hey, Nicholas Tse, is your name, like the singer? XD
    [insert something here]

chose manderin. it's kool... OR JAPANESE
    ƒgƒ~[‚Å‚·

ˆä‚Ì’†‚ÌŠ^‘åŠC‚ð’m‚炸

Facebook

yeah,learning Manderin is the best choicc,it's more intresting than hard

Quote Originally Posted by yukio_michael View Post
    You have to ask yourself, Why am I learning this language? I don't know if I would learn Mandarin on a lark, but if you are interested in international finance in the future, it's said to be a very good language to learn.
    I'm learning Japanese because it helps me interact with Japanese people better, even in situations where we both share knowlege of English... in order to better understand the subcultures and writings... sometimes I feel that I may not put any of this knowledge to practical use, but learning a foreign language can be rewarding in and of itself.
    Ask yourself, What language would I most enjoy learning? Right now it seems like you are standing before a dartboard full of languages and picking one at random.
    Couldn't have said it better. Totally agree.

My opinion: If you are neutral about this, try Chinese, this is, if you like it. Spanish is very complicated with all the verb forms(past, past participle and female/male articles). If I wouldn't be a native speaker, I doubt I would have any interest in learning it.
    I, in my own personal opinion, like Chinese better. I am studying and it is entertaining. It doesn't have many articles and it is just like saying subject/verb/object without having to say it in singular and plural form. However, I must say that you must also learn all the characters in order to read, you know, like in Japanese.

Mauricio

Infernally Yours InfernalKalamity's Avatar
    in my opinion think about your future...if u plan on going into business then i suggest u learn both. (like me) but the thing is i gave up on spanish after two years and decided to learn french(but thats another story) spanish is easier for caucasians...because the tones and stuff is similar to english in a way. and chinese wow...too many words u need to know. like im taiwanese and dang when i went to taiwan wow i couldnt read like half of the words. yea so my family had to translate a lot of it or i had to go by pics. spanish is better for u if u live in the us because i guess its used more often unless u live in california then i suggest u learn mandarin because most asians there speak an asian language. so idk. either one is fun. but im learning japanese and french and i guess mandarin hahaha. so either one is good have fun learning them im sure they will both come in handy one day.
    This is a Rock and Roll Takeover
    Living Each Day One Night At a Time
    There Was Mercy and There was Blood
    Oh..You Should Have Been There By My Side
    So Run Like Hell....Last Call! Kill It!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast