Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do the Chinese understand Pin Yin?

I take it back--i love zhuyin fuhao, and I think the mainland should use it, too. It is not that hard, just learn it over the course of three days or so, not twenty minuets, ha...
    The sad thing is, I don't know how to romanize Chinese... 我喜歡ㄅㄆㄇ

Good to hear you're fast learning the Chinese language basic " bo po mo fo ",it's a better method than what mainland has in placed.

I've had 5 years of full-fledged Chinese education during my childhood,romanization format wasn't taught at the private Chinese school I attended.I can read high school level Chinese though,in examples periodicals/newspapers,books on ancient East Asia history,romance/swordplay martial arts novels,plus Chinese-subtitled foreign entertainments.However,writing eligibly Chinese has been challenging for me because I didn't practice it often enough in my adolescent years.

Quote Originally Posted by ricecake View Post
    Good to hear you're fast learning the Chinese language basic " bo po mo fo ",it's a better method than what mainland has in placed.
    I've had 5 years of full-fledged Chinese education during my childhood,romanization format wasn't taught at the private Chinese school I attended.I can read high school level Chinese though,in examples periodicals/newspapers,books on ancient East Asia history,romance/swordplay martial arts novels,plus Chinese-subtitled foreign entertainments.However,writing eligibly Chinese has been challenging for me because I didn't practice it often enough in my adolescent years.
    sure??
    Can you understand 古文观止? just a test.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijinian Man View Post

I love zhuyin fuhao,and I think the mainland should use it,too.It is not that hard, just learn it over the course of three days or so.
    It will not happen in foreseeable future,same as mainland not reverting back to Traditional Chinese characters.

My eldest brother attended Taiwan's Taipei University ages ago,he was recruited by the Department of Education to teach at a local high school for 4 years in a hillbilly town near Tainan city in southern part of the island.

I wish you the best in your learning endeaver in Chinese language and culture,make time for fun as well.

One last note,My Mandarin is self taught and I can speak near fluency with Taiwan drawl.

Quote Originally Posted by 墨家传人 View Post
    indeed , pin yin is used in china since 1949
    but it is not that case in taiwan and hongkong
    pin yin is just a tool to learn chinese
    since i was a kid ,i learned chinese using pin yin
    if you read pin yin,you may think it is like english or some other languages in EU
    but chinese will never ever be replaced by pin yin
    because yin pin never shows any beautiful sense
    but hanzi ,the chinese charactors , has a beautil handwriting figure
    it is a kind of culture in the long history in china which can originated one thousand years ago or more
    Hanyu Pinyin did not appear in China until 1958. It was only approved by the CCP only in 1979. So it is not right to say it was used since 1949.

Quote Originally Posted by seasurfer View Post

Hanyu Pinyin did not appear in China until 1958. It was only approved by the CCP only in 1979.So it is not right to say it was used since 1949.
    Since PRC took over in 1949,with no specific dates when Hanyu Pinyin was put in use.

One last note,My Mandarin is self taught and I can speak near fluency with Taiwan drawl.
    So can many Taiwanese.

Since PRC took over in 1949,with no specific dates when Hanyu Pinyin was put in use.
    Of course there is.

Pinyin was approved in 1958 and adopted in 1979 by the PRC Government. It's safe to say that it's been put in use per se by 1979 latest.

中国人也用拼音,我小学在那里上的时候就有用哦。。

i think the Cantonese type of pinyin is hard to pronounce because the letters have different sounds than the mandarin or American ones
    Last edited by hot12lips12; Aug 18, 2007 at 13:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hi there,

From my experience, Chinese kids know the best about Pin Yin. Adults get confused (expecially with "jin" and "jing"), and taxi driver absolutaly can't read it!

carolwong

sure

sure, I know. It just as the phonetic symbol of English.

Learning pin yin is an essential phase in the process of acquring Chinese language.

Quote Originally Posted by justin9213 View Post
    Do the Chinese understand Pin Yin? Is it easyier than english? Does it have the same feeling as if it was wrriten in chinese?
    I noticed that many of the Chinese do not understand. But then, I am Thai, and I find it really difficult to grasp Hanzi, so I gave up. I like to use pinyin as it would be impossible to crack Chinese any other way. It worked out for Vietnam, who got rid of their hanzi.

It would be nice if they got a phonetic script like our Thai, or devanagri, hangul, or hiragana. Advanced Cavemen writing is just too hard to grasp. I don't see how the Chinese writing has gotten simplified because to me, it is still too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
    Learning pin yin is an essential phase in the process of acquring Chinese language.
    Yes, and it will be the final phase and the only phase. I am Thai, and jumping into Hanzi is something reserved for the Japanese and Koreans. As a Thai, I think it would be just as hard for you farangs to crack this one.
    Last edited by nyouyaku; Jan 10, 2008 at 18:29. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin View Post
    hanzi conveys meaning, whereas pinyin just tells pronunciation and intonation. My understanding is that pinyin is a learning aid for students of Chinese that understand the English alphabet, and is not necessary for native speakers to learn. I'd guess that it's along the same lines as romaji for Japanese; even if they can read it, it has none of the history or meaning behind it.
    Yes. Pinyin is just like Romaji.
    Thay have no meanings, just show you how to pronounce.
    They are long and really boring.
    But if you want to learn Chinese as a second language,
    You have to learn Pinyin first.

Chinese usually learn English alphabet in their childhood,
    and they Learn Pinyin too.
    Ancient chinese donot use or study Pinyin for they have
    another system that enable them say chinese correctly.

I'll be extremely sorry if you have gotten too far from the correct path of learning Chinese.

Hanzi or Kanzi are the soul of Chinese.Without them, you can get nowhere.
    Pinyin only services to help to facilitate learning Kanzi and will be ancillary to the learning process, but certainly not to substitude for Kanzi.

Let me correct you. It's Hanzi, not Kanzi, if you refer to Chinese characters as they are called in standard Mandarin.

汉子 (simplified), 漢子 (traditional) Hànzi (Pinyin with tones)

Kanji (漢子) is the Japanese term for the same

--
    I noticed many people spelled Pinyin (pin yin) separately. It should be spelled together in English and IMHO, is usually capitalised like all names of other scripts.
    千里の道も一歩より始まる。
    ---
    私に日本語を教えてくれば、ロシア語を教えて� げます 。
    Chinese Language and Chinese Culture
    ---
    Eastern Hemisphere

I think pinyin juast like English phonetic symbol. Before you learn English you must learn phonetic symbol. So if you want to learn Chinese, you must learn pinyin.
    People say that Chinese Characters are very difficult to learn. But I think every language is the same. If you work hard, it will be easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12