Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Saddam novel go on sale in Japan

Arrow Saddam novel go on sale in Japan

BBC News : 'Saddam novel' on sale in Tokyo

A novel said to have been written by former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein has gone on sale in Tokyo.

The manuscript of the book, called Devil's Dance, was carried out of Iraq by one of Saddam Hussein's daughters, the Japanese publishers say.

Saddam Hussein has been credited with writing several novels. This one, says his daughter, was finished a day before the US invasion that toppled him.

The work has been translated by a Japanese journalist.

The journalist says she obtained the manuscript from one of Saddam Hussein's lawyers, who gave her permission to publish it.
    It is the second work attributed to the former Iraqi leader which has gone on sale in Japan.
    It seems that the book has not been translated into English yet. I wonder if that book would be popular in the US...

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Cs’†
    I would assume it would, if for no other reason than that people like to know the trash that's being talked about them, which is what I assume this novel is. I think it would be somewhat similar to the Howard Stern situation, where people who hate him listen to hear what he'll say next.

Non-Member
    It'll probably be looked upon very similarly to Mein Kaumpf (or however you spell it). Popular might not be the right word, but a good number of people will most likely read it.

Mein Kampf is not a fiction novel but more like an autobiographical essay.

Saddam Hussein has supposidly written other novels (can't think of their names). But they were romance novels. Well, I don't see any reason not to read it.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

a non member
    I just wonder WHY Japan is the first country that will sell the novel... I would rather think of middle east countries or something, but Japan? I don't really see the link.

could this be the coming Iraq version of "Mein Kampf"?

If you're not already embarassed by your own sad ******* existence, then I assure you, nothing I can ever do or say is going to make you blush. -Randal Graves (the Clerk)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Baka
    I just wonder WHY Japan is the first country that will sell the novel... I would rather think of middle east countries or something, but Japan? I don't really see the link.
    They say in the BBC article that it's because a Japanese journalist in Iraq translated it into Japanese. It's maybe the first translation. However, other Arabic speakers can of course read the original.

Non-Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Mein Kampf is not a fiction novel but more like an autobiographical essay.
    I understand that, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my point.

My point is just that, Mein Kampf has been read by many people in America, but no one would ever call it "popular". Saddam's book may be the same in this aspect if it is ever released in the US.

You SPAM/We BAN !

Humm??

I would worry a bit about where the money goes to from the sale of such books.

Frank

TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SUGAR !!
    I USED TO BE FUNNY, BUT MY WIFE HAD ME NEUTERED!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. White
    I would worry a bit about where the money goes to from the sale of such books.
    Mostly to the translator and publishing company, with som royalties to Saddam Hussein. It's not because people are "evil" that different laws apply to them. If Bush was to write a book all by himself (probably will never happen ), he would also get royalties despite being as "evil" as Saddam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan
    I understand that, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my point.
    My point is just that, Mein Kampf has been read by many people in America, but no one would ever call it "popular". Saddam's book may be the same in this aspect if it is ever released in the US.
    The difference is that Mein Kampf helped people understand Hitler's political ideas and decisions. It really explains the evolution of his psycholgy since childhood. Saddam wrote several books, and as they are not autobiographical or even non-fiction, it doesn't tell us more about the political leader than Hitler's paintings.

On a side note, I see very little point in comparing Saddam Hussein to Hitler. Saddam never really invaded any country apart from tiny Kuwait, and didn't commit any holocaust or promulgated any racist theory. They were both dictators, but very different ones.

Non-Member
    The difference is that Mein Kampf helped people understand Hitler's political ideas and decisions. It really explains the evolution of his psycholgy since childhood. Saddam wrote several books, and as they are not autobiographical or even non-fiction, it doesn't tell us more about the political leader than Hitler's paintings.
    I agree, but that has nothing to do with my point, either.
    On a side note, I see very little point in comparing Saddam Hussein to Hitler. Saddam never really invaded any country apart from tiny Kuwait, and didn't commit any holocaust or promulgated any racist theory. They were both dictators, but very different ones.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly. I am not doing so.