Thread: Sen. Blasts China Ahead of Beijing Visit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sen. Blasts China Ahead of Beijing Visit

Sen. Blasts China Ahead of Beijing Visit

By FOSTER KLUG
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, March 16, 2006; 1:27 PM

WASHINGTON -- China came in for harsh criticism in Congress Thursday because of economic policies that several lawmakers said harm America's workers.

Sen. Lindsey Graham charged that Beijing is a "government without a conscience," intent on manipulating its currency to the detriment of American producers. The South Carolina Republican, a persistent critic of China's policies, also told a congressional advisory panel that the country allows widespread piracy of copyrighted U.S. goods and abuses its citizens.

Graham, who travels to China on Sunday, said at a U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission meeting that he will tell high-ranking leaders that "they make it exceedingly difficult" to encourage business and political ties with the United States.

Mentioning charges that China manipulates the Internet to suppress dissent, Graham asked, "How can you have a constructive, productive relationship with a government that fears its own people?"

Graham predicted "extreme action" in Congress if Beijing does not move soon toward economic reform. He has co-sponsored a bill that would impose a high tariff on Chinese goods to counter what he calls artificial currency exchange rates.

Strong congressional support of the bill, he said, reflects "a sea change in the relationship between Congress and China," which he said is at "a tenuous point."

As the White House prepares to welcome Chinese President Hu Jintao, U.S. officials are increasingly voicing concern over what they call unfair Chinese economic practices that they say make it impossible for American workers to compete.

Recent action in Congress also includes a bill that would revoke normal trade relations with China.

Criticism from Congress last year forced China's state-controlled CNOOC Ltd. to give up an $18.5 billion (euro15.3 billion) takeover bid for the U.S. oil company Unocal Corp. Lawmakers said the deal could jeopardize U.S. security.

Rep. Thaddeus McCotter, R-Mich., said China's economic policies are part of a "deliberate strategy" to erode America's economy.

"Fundamentally, I don't believe that we can compete with a country that does not respect human rights," he said.

Rep. Jim Kolbe, chairman of a House panel that funds foreign programs, said he was worried about the rising anger toward China.

"There is an economic protectionism here in the United States the likes of which I don't think we've seen in quite a while," said Kolbe, R-Ariz.

Commerce Secretary Carlos Gutierrez this week reflected the mood in Congress, saying in a speech that Beijing's failure to reform its economy plays into the hands of lawmakers who "want to build protectionist barriers around the U.S. market. That's the last thing we need."

The article is located here.
    pa Republic of Taiwan.
    Freedom for Taiwan.

Hey!Wang! I'd like to remind you that Taiwan is part of the People's Republic of China.Reunification will come before long.

doesn't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by cnchance View Post
    Hey!Wang! I'd like to remind you that Taiwan is part of the People's Republic of China.Reunification will come before long.
    just a grammatical error:
    why will taiwan be 'reunified' if it is 'part of the prc'? makes no sense and makes me laugh
    it could be reunified it it isn't part of prc, but not if it is.

It's correct to say Taiwan is part of Republic of China, not People's Republic of China.

Quote Originally Posted by 82riceballs View Post
    just a grammatical error:
    why will taiwan be 'reunified' if it is 'part of the prc'? makes no sense and makes me laugh
    it could be reunified it it isn't part of prc, but not if it is.
    I guess it has nothing to do with the gramma issue ~It is so puzzled that makes you laugh~? it will be clear in the future~
    ~ good luck to you ~for you will see that if you are health ~
    I guess you are an old man ~ am I right?

Smile hehe

Quote Originally Posted by 4321go View Post
    I guess it has nothing to do with the gramma issue ~It is so puzzled that makes you laugh~? it will be clear in the future~
    ~ good luck to you ~for you will see that if you are health ~
    I guess you are an old man ~ am I right?
    you make me laugh too! i'm not an old man- i'm not even male!!! plus, what will i see in the future? i'm confused.
    Last edited by 82riceballs; Jun 13, 2007 at 07:46. Reason: oops, forgot to 'go advanced'

I know that ~
    I thought of that word:brainwash!
    You may concern that few contury regard TaiWan as a contury~ The most Taiwanness are descendant of Chinese~ .In law, as the pic show below:
    TaiWan has return to China from Japan in 1945. So ,there is no doubt that TaiWan is part of China ~

add something: the picture above is from 'Cairo's declaration".It shows "formosa shall be restored to the Republic of China"!!

decisive evidence ...irrefutable...

hmmm... did you misinterpret that Taiwan "shall be restored to the Republic of China" and not the People's Republic of China??? ... "decisive evidence... irrefutable..." you said. Have you forgotten that the Republic of China is not People's Republic of China??? The crazy Republic of China (under KMT leadership) doesn't even exist anymore... Taiwan is Taiwan, PRC is PRC... they are opposites- democracy vs. communism; freedom of speech vs. thought police; you can create your own political party vs. you will be shot if you do so; medicare is available vs. you must pay your own money to doctor even if you have none; etc, etc, etc, the list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by 82riceballs View Post
    hmmm... did you misinterpret that Taiwan "shall be restored to the Republic of China" and not the People's Republic of China??? ... "decisive evidence... irrefutable..." you said. Have you forgotten that the Republic of China is not People's Republic of China??? The crazy Republic of China (under KMT leadership) doesn't even exist anymore... Taiwan is Taiwan, PRC is PRC... they are opposites- democracy vs. communism; freedom of speech vs. thought police; you can create your own political party vs. you will be shot if you do so; medicare is available vs. you must pay your own money to doctor even if you have none; etc, etc, etc, the list goes on.
    what about Hong Kong? democracy or communisim?

For those people who denied his/her nationaliry because of poor benefits..
    I feel very pity for them.

ask what you can do for your country not what country can do for you.

taiwan people are chinese.
    mainland people are chinese.
    hongkong people are chinese.

that is the fact.

we are chinese, so we will figure out a way to unify once again by ourself.

over