Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: How Would China Have Be If The Nationalist Party Won The Civil War?

How Would China Have Be If The Nationalist Party Won The Civil War?

The Nationalist Party was so close to beating the much weaker Communists Party. However when Japan attacked everything started to fail miserably. On top of that the Soviets gave supplies and what not the communists. Just imagine how much better it would be if the nationalists won.

Now I'm not a big fan of nationalism, but the nationalist party would have been far better than the horrible mass murdering Mao. Not only did Mao fail miserably, purge many Chinese, and destroy many elements in China's classic culture, it also haulted the progress of the country by a lot. No democratic republicanism, only authoritarian rule. In fact chances are it would have been a superpower if the Nationalists Party won.

Look how good the Republic of China (Taiwan) is doing under a republic system and the capitalist system they have. If Taiwan was its own country it probably would have been considered and independent developed world power. Remember that Taiwan was the lands under the Nationalist Party and not the horrible Commies.

What do you think?

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    I think its beyond the point of contemplaiting what-ifs, Unless taiwan plans on invading mainland china (lawl) all we can hope is political change from china comes from within, im not happy that its still a country of such crushing totalitarianism.

People are mistaking a slight turn-up in wealth in the big cities as freedom, when its not.

If ...then...
    A notorious party can do what?

It's very difficult to use Taiwan as a model to predict what China will be like under Nationalist rule. China has a much larger land area and population compared to Taiwan to begin with.

People also tend to dismiss the foundation works Japanese had laid-out in Taiwan during 50 years of rule. Taiwan has the second highest literacy level in all of Asia (Japan being number one) after WWII. Also, basic infrastructures such as railroad, power plants, dam, telecommunication, postal service, banking system, and education system have all been established by the Japanese. Average Taiwanese annual income was $133 in 1937 (60% of Japanese average annual income). Chinese annual income in 1937 was $23.

During the same time, China is a country in ruin from years of civil war and war with Japan. Nationalist Chinese simply took over a well laid-out island and exercised capitalism and the law of economics took over the rest.

As for what will happen if Nationalist ruled China, I think the economics will be better but the human atrocity will not be less severe. Nationalist is equal if not worse than CCP in terms of being ruthless. Personally I think CCP had more well and determination to help the Chinese people than the Nationalist which was extremely corrupted and couldn't care less about the life of Chinese and China's future.

Yea, that is true. Japan really did do a lot of modernizing in Taiwan but I don't think it would have been as great as it would be if it wasn't capitalist.

Another country with a similar situation but more balanced governments was Korea. South Korea is a pretty powerful nation and one of Asia's only developed countries (besides Japan and possibly Taiwan). North Korea on the other hand, well things couldn't be worse!

Mao's "Great Leap Forward" policy did far worse than anything a Nationalist party of any country would do. The Nationalists weren't the greatest either but many
    Nationalists had plans to establish a republic obviously. And there were no planned purges under the Nationalists Party either.

How much do you all think the culture of Chinese would have been if the Nationalists Party took over? I pretty sure it would have been more preserved.

Regular Member Elizabeth van Kampen's Avatar
    I am very interested in China, I hope to read a lot about this country and its good people. We have many nice Chinese restaurants in Holland and I always see the Chinese working so hard.
    I think that the people from China have suffered enough, I sincerely hope that the future will be much better for all those very hard working Chinese people.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackman
    Yea, that is true. Japan really did do a lot of modernizing in Taiwan but I don't think it would have been as great as it would be if it wasn't capitalist.
    Another country with a similar situation but more balanced governments was Korea. South Korea is a pretty powerful nation and one of Asia's only developed countries (besides Japan and possibly Taiwan). North Korea on the other hand, well things couldn't be worse!
    Mao's "Great Leap Forward" policy did far worse than anything a Nationalist party of any country would do. The Nationalists weren't the greatest either but many
    Nationalists had plans to establish a republic obviously. And there were no planned purges under the Nationalists Party either.
    How much do you all think the culture of Chinese would have been if the Nationalists Party took over? I pretty sure it would have been more preserved.
    Taiwan and Korea may be categorized as "developed country" on paper but their people quality is far from what a developed country should be. I think the only true developed country in Asia is Japan.

If Nationalists were in control of China, there probably won't be any major impact on Chinese culture. Don't get me wrong, there are many extremely talented individuals in the Nationalist party that had great vision for China's future. However, the Nationalist during that time was a body decomposing from the inside. CCP had more vision and care for building a new China, not just to get Chinese rich but they had in mind a China with new culture and identity. The only problem is that CCP's vision of China was too ideal if not impossible to reach. Of course, their attempt to build a new China failed miserably.

Today's CCP is just like the Nationalists in the early 1900s. They are both corrupted and have no real vision to lead the country and its people. The only difference between the China before and the China now is that some of it's people have more money in their pocket.

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    I dunno, compared to the materialistic luxuries of Japan, my part of scotland is pretty backwards, we dont even have heated toilet seats FFS!.

Quote Originally Posted by godppgo
    Taiwan and Korea may be categorized as "developed country" on paper but their people quality is far from what a developed country should be. I think the only true developed country in Asia is Japan.
    If Nationalists were in control of China, there probably won't be any major impact on Chinese culture. Don't get me wrong, there are many extremely talented individuals in the Nationalist party that had great vision for China's future. However, the Nationalist during that time was a body decomposing from the inside. CCP had more vision and care for building a new China, not just to get Chinese rich but they had in mind a China with new culture and identity. The only problem is that CCP's vision of China was too ideal if not impossible to reach. Of course, their attempt to build a new China failed miserably.
    Today's CCP is just like the Nationalists in the early 1900s. They are both corrupted and have no real vision to lead the country and its people. The only difference between the China before and the China now is that some of it's people have more money in their pocket.
    Well many lists do consider South Korea developed countries. South Korea still has one of the largest economies reletive to its size and pretty high living standards. Many South Koreans don't want to be considered developed because of the obligations of being one. Most organizations do consider South Korea higher than what many European countries that are considered "developed".

Taiwan to a lesser extent, but this is disputed do to China's claim over the nation.

Japan is almost in a league of its own. It has a larger economy than any European power. It is somewhere between power and superpower in terms of economic strength.

Perhaps the CPC is like the Nationalist of the early 1900s. However in that regard we can see that the KMT (Nationalist Party) was far more developed than the CPC. Perhaps China would be a superpower or close to one but it never happened.

lawl
    Quote Originally Posted by nurizeko
    I think its beyond the point of contemplaiting what-ifs, Unless taiwan plans on invading mainland china (lawl) all we can hope is political change from china comes from within, im not happy that its still a country of such crushing totalitarianism.
    People are mistaking a slight turn-up in wealth in the big cities as freedom, when its not.
    We are not Soviet union??

Banned
    although KMT was corrupt ( not only in old china ,but also in taiwan,which resulted in the presidential election failure in 1996,defeated by taiwan's new party )
    but the leader of KMT was a real nationalist
    in www2 ,the KMT had put all of the amies to fight against japan
    and jiangjie shi ,the leader of KMT ,was very proud of the chinese culture
    when mao in mainland destoryed everything in china
    jiangjieshi ,activated the movement of chinese culture
    so now ,the most traditional culture and someting else is in taiwan ,not in mainland of china
    in my opininon, only the onewho respect and be proud of their traditional culture ,can make his country stronge
    if you destroy everything ,you destrory yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbackman View Post
    The Nationalist Party was so close to beating the much weaker Communists Party. However when Japan attacked everything started to fail miserably. On top of that the Soviets gave supplies and what not the communists. Just imagine how much better it would be if the nationalists won.

Now I'm not a big fan of nationalism, but the nationalist party would have been far better than the horrible mass murdering Mao. Not only did Mao fail miserably, purge many Chinese, and destroy many elements in China's classic culture, it also haulted the progress of the country by a lot. No democratic republicanism, only authoritarian rule. In fact chances are it would have been a superpower if the Nationalists Party won.

Look how good the Republic of China (Taiwan) is doing under a republic system and the capitalist system they have. If Taiwan was its own country it probably would have been considered and independent developed world power. Remember that Taiwan was the lands under the Nationalist Party and not the horrible Commies.

What do you think?
    The nationalist party was as corrupt as the commies at that time and the party was also built on fascism. However, there's no 'if' in history.

I think this is impossible.Nationalist Party Won The Civil War is impossible.The facts speak for themselves.

Heart

Quote Originally Posted by godppgo View Post
    I agree that there should be improvement of quality of Chinese and Chinese from Taiwan.
    However, I think there are 2 places in China which had been mordernized already and 2 more countries in Asia which had been mordernized. They are Hong Kong and Singapore "taught" by the British and Macau who was the colony of Portugal for more than 250 years and South Korea who "learnt" a lot from Japan. I have been to Japan and all these places. They are so similar in fact.
    As for the question "what if The Nationalist rule over China after the civil war", well, I think it is really hard to tell. Many of the great leaders died in the civil war and Jiang became the only, and most powerful and respectful leader of the GMD. We can deny the prediction that Jiang will become another Dictatior. If you wanna say "If" you better assump Dr. Sun Yisan was not died so early and China was under his rule... I can tell you he MUST be a great leader

One result: The Russion will not be the ally of China~ Maybe neutral from the cold war!

Japanese American Hapa Matthew Ota's Avatar
    Mainland China will democratize eventually. The so called communist system will not work, it is a proven failure due to corruption. Look what happened to the USSR, and Eastern Europe. Authoritarian governments are wrong and are destined to fail, eventually.