Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Taiwan-China Relationship

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Taiwan-China Relationship

Quote Originally Posted by 4321go
    Oh,gs110,you change this topic to another one~
    wait no more than 10 years ,Taiwan will return by its own willing~ any argument within this ten years won't make sense~
    Give an example :
    A son like the rich dad rather than the poor dad~so ,he want to leave the poor dad's family and to be the member of the richer one! but ,the richer one didn't accept him. If the poor dad become rich ,the son will return~
    OMG, who give money to him , who is his dad~
    There is some bad guys abet the son to separate from the family~
    because these bad guys don't want the poor dad 's family become a puissant family~ A divisive family is what the bad guys desire~
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Politic...Public_opinion
    Quote:A most recent poll in Dec 2004 shows, given a referendum vote on independence, unification or becoming a state of U.S., 41% of Taiwanese residents support independence, 24% choose unification and a 15% would be in favor of becoming a 51st state of U.S
    The rich/poor dad example is a really narrow minded one. What deter most Taiwanese from joining China is the lack of democracy in China. Also after more than 100 years of separation, Taiwanese and Chinese have very distinct values and traits. There are many societal gaps between the two nations. If you look at Canada, USA, EU, they were all formed by "independent" states under similar economical and political environment. Unity under the slogan of nationalism sounds too vague and uncompromising for most Taiwanese.

By the way, contrary to a authoritarian state like China, Taiwan media doesn't necessary reflect the true public opinion. During the last 20 years, Taiwan has involved from a state-controlled public opinion to an independent public opinion. I am not suprise you linked media and public opinion as if they have direct relationship (true in most authoritarian nations).

Quote Originally Posted by godppgo
    What deter most Taiwanese from joining China is the lack of democracy in China.
    Notice:Not only become richer in wealth but also in democracy !

Also after more than 100 years of separation, Taiwanese and Chinese have very distinct values and traits. There are many societal gaps between the two nations. If you look at Canada, USA, EU, they were all formed by "independent" states under similar economical and political environment. Unity under the slogan of nationalism sounds too vague and uncompromising for most Taiwanese.
    Wait ten years...

There aren't so many difference ,Taiwan province share too many things with mainland ,that little difference should't become the subterfuge of separate.

more than 100 years of separation
    Not so many , my grandpa tell me that when Japan surrender in the year 1945,he has been sent to Taiwan to accept the booty : broken Japanese battleplane,oil,etc...
    In 1949,Nationalist Chinese Kuomintang evade to Taiwan and aginst CCP in Taiwan ,There is no doubt it belongs to China~

4321go,

Myself thought China and Taiwan had very close culture until I visited China myself. After I met my gf, who is Chinese, got to know her family and I realized the cultural gap is bigger than I thought. I haven't had a chance to visit the countryside of China but I'll have more culture shock when I visit there.

It's easy to get lost and mislead in a cloud of media confusion. Therefore I think the best way to get to know a different culture is to visit the country itself.

It seems most of your imagine about Taiwan are based on other's information. If you can (I know it's not easy), try to apply for a tourist VISA and spend some time in Taiwan. Experience the culture and people yourself. See the island from your own eyes and make up your own statement of Taiwan.

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    Islands are parfect for fostering a unique culture, thats why most of europe is obsessed with welfare, unity, crappy euro currency, and lvoes bad pop music, on rhe other hand the UK is in a world of its own yet its seperated by a piddly channel of water.

I used to think taiwan should re-unite with china but if the taiwanese really want independence, so be it, i know i wouldnt want to live under a chinese government as it stands especially if my culture is different.

Yes,I really want to travel to Taiwan if I have chance,
    Hope you will be my guide
    P.S. It is morning now , have a nice day ,everyone ~!