I was talking to a Chinese person yesterday and said that in historical documents Kung Fu apparently originated from Indian monks who went China to spread the word about Buddhism.

The person took great offence to this and insisted that Chinese people originally created Kung fu despite what I said. In fact, someone else the person was talking to at the time said that I should be beaten up for my comment.

I'm just wondering if my comment is insulting to Chinese people at all, because I don't see why its insulting and all documents I've read have suggested that Kung Fu originated from Indian Buddhist Monks.

Truth is, I've spoken to another Chinese person about this problem and they decided to read up on the topic on a Chinese website. He told me that the site said an Indian Buddhist Monk was the originator of Kung Fu although his name (Batuo is his Chinese name) was not mentioned.

What I've found more depressing than anything else about this is that the idea of Indian culture influencing Chinese culture has been met with such hostility.

I just want to know if other Chinese people feel the same way about my comment as this person did.

Ironically, my original reason for talking about India and China was in an attempt to show how both cultures are actually quite similar.