Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Moving to Hong Kong

Moving to Hong Kong

I'm moving to Hong Kong in January for work and study and was wondering if any of you guys has ever lived there? Any advice, which areas are better than others, practical things...

My office will be in a suburb called Kwun Tong which is in Kowloon-anyone know it? I guess I hope to find a place to stay in that area, to cut down of travelling times, costs etc. I have heard its a less expensive part of Hong Kong, but I wonder what its like....

Any ideas or hints appreciated

Yuyurungul
    I stayed there for a month visiting relatives. Hm... some tips?

Be prepared for not just hot weather, but oppressive humid weather.

It's amazingly small, as you probably know already. I mean it in terms of things to see. Buy a card for the Octopus (their extensive subway system- their signs will be a design with something that looks like this: http://www.thingsasian.com/goto_arti...cle.2378.html), so you can have access to most important areas. It's pretty easy to use, and you can add more money to the same card.

You'll probably be stopping by Central a lot if you use the Octopus, but don't bother with the mall there- too expensive and not really anything of interest. I know this is just a trifle thing to mention, but we had to pass through that confounded place everyday.

Be sure to check out Victoria Peak and Ocean Park! Those were pretty neat when I was there. I think there's an aviary near there too, which was cool to check out.

Don't know what else to add. Maybe later, if I can think of anything else. Good luck!

Banned
    Hey, I stayed in Hong Kong for a couple of years before I came to Japan.

I wouldn't bother living in Kwun Tong, as there isn't too much to see or do there. You can have a lot of flexibility where you live, because Hong Kong is small and the transport systems (buses and trains) are superb.

The MTR is better than the Tokyo underground, and the number of buses dwarf the number in Tokyo. Additionally taxi's are everywhere and very cheap (under quarter of the Tokyo price - minimum charge only 200 yen and increments of about 20 yen).

I would recommend you stay in a furnished apartment for the first month, and use the time to explore and find an area you like. Personally I lived in Wan Chai as it was close to work for me, had great restaurants and near Causeway Bay which is a big shopping and entertainment district (think Shinjuku or Shibuya).

Practical things - don't ship electrical appliances as HK uses 220v and replacing things is cheap... everything costs a lot less than it does here. You can eat out for 200-300 yen in the evenings, and have a reasonable meal for 1,000 yen.

Practical things - as mentioned get an Octopus charge and keep it topped up as it's much faster and better than using coins. Even better, you can have it auto-top from your credit card if you apply (any MTR station).

Hong Kong is a great place to live - good luck and enjoy !

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    I see i share these boards with some big city blokes.

Hong Kong looks big to me, but then i live in a small scottish city.

Is communist china's government made any sugnificant changes or did britain secure hong-kongs general feel of freedom?.

Thanks fellas for your advice and observations. Regarding accommodation, I was thinking of getting a furnished apartment too, especially since I am not sure how long I'll be there (presumably anything from one month to a couple of years, depending on how things turn out). Wan Chai sounds fun, I lived in Shinjuku so I could definitely appreciate a similar place...

I'm looking forward to it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nurizeko
    Hong Kong looks big to me, but then i live in a small scottish city.

Is communist china's government made any sugnificant changes or did britain secure hong-kongs general feel of freedom?.
    I guess you could say Hong Kong is a big city but a small country

Most of the places you want to visit/live in in Hong Kong are quite concentrated though - unless you're a greenery lover then you can happily get by without venturing outside Hong Kong Island and Kowloon.

Freedom is an interesting concept.. I wasn't there when the British ruled HK but I met a lot of people who were and read a lot on the subject. My short answer would be "yes, Britian did secure the general feel of freedom".

My slightly longer answer would be that HK doesn't feel restrictive, you aren't hassled in the streets, there are no laws that really inpinge on your right to live and secure an enjoyable life. I think the government in China hasn't really meddled too much, and HK is still pretty autonomous.

China is resisting the calls to increase the level of democracy in Hong Kong, but then there was no democracy under Britain either!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Index
    Wan Chai sounds fun, I lived in Shinjuku so I could definitely appreciate a similar place...
    Wan Chai is a bit more like Roppongi

www.geoexpat.com is a good forum for seeking more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin 06
    Wan Chai is a bit more like Roppongi

www.geoexpat.com is a good forum for seeking more info.
    Roppongi is an interesting place no doubt, but to live there.....

Thanks for the link.

Just wondering.. isn't accomodations in hk costly? I heard from a few people that malaysia and singapore are much cheaper places to stay.
    As for cheap electronics, prices in hk are the best in all of asia.

Banned
    I've been to Kuala Lumpar and would be amazed if it is not significantly less expensive than Hong Kong to live in - it's not really comparable as a city.

Index - how did it turn out, are you in HK yet?

"Nani ga okashin desu?!" CBC Guy's Avatar
    Vancouver, Canada, currently Chengdu, China
    To put it frankly for tourists, Kwun Tong itself kinda sucks. There really isn't anything to do there except look at rusting old factories and stuff like that.

As for Wan Chai, it isn't actually the premier nightlife district anymore. I think the main "hip" spot is probably Lan Kwai Fong, but that's the place to go if you want to see drunk gwailos (Cantonese equivalent of Gaijin, gwailo means "ghost dude") pissing in the streets at 3 AM. Wan Chai is more sedate, I don't think its as crazy as Roppongi (from what I read about Roppongi) but there's a lot of good restaurants and stuff there so its actually a pretty good place to hang out at night.

For street life, go to Kowloon. Temple Street Night market is good for visitors (Some locals hate it), just watch your belongings at all times. And just walk up and down Nathan Road and you'll see something you enjoy. There's something for everyone there.

And yes public transport in HK is second to none.
    'Watashi no Nihongo wa son-na ni heta desu ka?!?!"