I cant suggest this movie enough.

It basicly covers the life of the last emperor of China, and i found it to be a thoroughly attention grabbing, moving peice of film.

it doesnt have war, it doesnt have a lovey gushy love story of romantic gushyness, theres no sci-fi, its not the kinda movie you should watch if your just out for a no-brainer vegetation movie of harmless entertainment, if you watch this movie you should be prepared to be thoroughly in its grip, and to feel emotion from it.

Its somewhat similar in fashion to the pianist except theres a lack of war, though i loved the pianist aswell.

I dont wanna get into too much detail since i'll end up totaly spoiling the whole thing, but suffice to say it follows the whole life of the last chinese emperor, from a little boy through a pretty lost and sad adulthood, and finishes up nicely at the end, he isnt the emperor again, this isnt fiction but, for some reason despite how far hes come it seems to end on a nice note.

A beautiful film i wish i had seen earlier, i love my sci-fi and stuff, but sometimes, like the pianist and this movie, i just want to watch an emotionally stirring peice, and if your looking for a deep movie to watch, which doesnt rely on old hollywood norms of a hero and out of this world characters and settings, then by all means pick it up at a video rental or something, it really is a must see.

Though as i said, if your really in the mood for more light hearted and "entertaining" film, then give it a miss for now, but who knows, if you start watching it you might very well get pulled into it :S, god knows i used to think the last samurai was the best movie ever, and though i enjoy deep movies ive never considored them actual favorates up there with my other choices but the last emperor is arguably one of my favorates.

Anyhow, thats my movie suggestion, since i dont want to seem like im just spamming a "i saw this movie, it rocks, you all need to see it", feel free to suggest movies YOU watched and felt you enjoyed alot, since, im sure we all know that feeling if "god that movie rocked/moved me so much!, it would be a crime NOT to share it with others! "