Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a link between Japan's obsession for the seasons and high urban population ?

Quote Originally Posted by misa.j
    There seem to be some tours for Europeans as well, though. My husband works at a hotel, and he gets tour buses of Germans and British who come to New York to see the leaves every year.
    That's interesting, because I have never seen or heard of such tours in Europe. They probably exist, but there is little advertisement for them, and few people that take them. I also doubt that any European would go all the way to New York just to see autumn foliage. I guess they see it as part of a broader tour that includes a visit of NYC and other sightseeing places. In Japan, however, there are many tours in which people take the plane and bus just to see the foliage (and eat).

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    That's interesting, because I have never seen or heard of such tours in Europe. They probably exist, but there is little advertisement for them, and few people that take them. I also doubt that any European would go all the way to New York just to see autumn foliage. I guess they see it as part of a broader tour that includes a visit of NYC and other sightseeing places. In Japan, however, there are many tours in which people take the plane and bus just to see the foliage (and eat).
    Yep, I've been to one of those New England "fall foliage" tours. (My sister-in-law and I were the only Japanese in the group made up most of Americans and some Latin Americans.) Our bus left from Boston and toured New Hampshire and Vermont. I was told that the fall colors in New England are brighter than those found in Japan because of the varieties of trees found in the region (mostly maple). It was true, and my sister-in-law loved it!

We just toured the forests, parks and ponds and dropped by a very old-looking inn for lunch made up of homemade apple cider, bread and a plate of New England cod (sauteed, if I remember correctly) and veggies. The food was great, and my sister-in-law wanted to buy the homemade butter and take it home (when we were still on the first leg of our trip... ) We didn't make any shopping stops or go to major cultural or entertainment sites in the tour. Just the trees and back to Boston!

This type of trips in the Northeast of the US is growing very popular, and I can't make hotel reservations easily (at affordable hotels) in the fall season any more!

This should be true also for Montreal and Quebec City in Canada!

I wonder what's happening this year with the heavy rains...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12