Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Willy Wanker and the chocolate factory

Red face Willy Wanker and the chocolate factory

Watched the movie recently, but was wondering if the pun of Johnny Depp's character was intentional. Willy Wonka sounds very much like Willy Wanker. For the Americans here, in British English, wanker means either a "stupid and contemptible person" or someone that masturbates. Still in BrE, "willy" is slang for penis. So, I don't think they chose a very children friendly hero's name. The funny thing is that the book was written by a Brit.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Banned
    The book was written quite some time ago when wanker (I'm surprised the over-zealous censorship engine in this forum even allows it) was not part of the modern vernacular. Believe me, to British ears, which was all Roald Dahl was writing for, 'Wonka' sounds absolutely nothing like 'wanker'.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverpoint
    The book was written quite some time ago when wanker (I'm surprised the over-zealous censorship engine in this forum even allows it) was not part of the modern vernacular. Believe me, to British ears, which was all Roald Dahl was writing for, 'Wonka' sounds absolutely nothing like 'wanker'.
    Absolutely nothing is a bit much. It's more similar than "water" pronounced by a Brit and an American. Basically, "Wonka" or "Wonker" would be pronouced the same way, so there is just the "o" and "a" difference.

I think I'll skip buying any chocolate from that factory!

Well, I first read the book when I was about 8, and have seen the original film a few times, and it never occurred to me. Incidentally, the book is called Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. In my accent Wonka doesn't sound much like wanker.
    "A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life
    merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

Currently playing: Agarest on PS3
    Currently reading: The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley

That chocolate factory always kicked *** in the original film.

Doc
    "Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you... if and when your time comes round again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off." -G-man

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Watched the movie recently, but was wondering if the pun of Johnny Depp's character was intentional. Willy Wonka sounds very much like Willy Wanker. For the Americans here, in British English, wanker means either a "stupid and contemptible person" or someone that masturbates. Still in BrE, "willy" is slang for penis. So, I don't think they chose a very children friendly hero's name. The funny thing is that the book was written by a Brit.

I don't think the pun of Johnny Depp's character was intentional.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

From what I remember of the original film, Willy Wonka (Willy being short for William, and Wonka, as in somebody whos a little bit nuts or crazy -rignt??), was a tad obnoxious.
    Johnny Depp upped the play a little more, but I think this was more for adult viewing pleasure, seeing as most of us over the age of 20 would have watched this as a young child, it's more amusing to re-watch it.

I wasnt entirely impressed with the re-make, but there were parts I enjoyed.
    I love Johnny Depp's acting, and thought he did a great job, and wasnt being a wanker.

Think about it... this guy hasnt had any human social intereaction for many, many years, and to have these idiot kids coming in as the first people he's had to talk to, of course their stupidity is going to grate his nerves.

No different to my science teachers attitude in high school.

Kara-Nari Smarty-Pants Wiz-Girl of the Southern Pacific Queen of Communication and International Arbitration and Diplomatic Solutions to Hairy Territorial Issues Her Majesty the Empress コクネ・ you quite rightly deserve the title for your individuality !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Absolutely nothing is a bit much.
    As is "very much like", but each to their own.

I asked Simon what he thought. He said "Of course it's intentional, everybody knows it".

Gene Wilder was Willy Wonka.

Doc