Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your favourite web browser ?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • No favourite

4 3.96%
  • Internet Explorer (Microsoft)

16 15.84%
  • Mozilla Firefox

64 63.37%
  • Opera

8 7.92%
  • Netscape

1 0.99%
  • Safari (Macintosh & Microsoft)

1 0.99%
  • Konqueror (Linux)

0 0%
  • Other (please specify)

7 6.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your favourite web browser ?

Arrow What is your favourite web browser ?

I use several browser as a webmaster (to test that all works fine in all browsers). I have tried Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Netscape and Konqueror. I haven't really tried Safari (just once), as it runs on Macs.

My favourite is Opera, because the buttons (e.g. "search") are nicer, windows can be open within the browser (I think only IE does not have this function), and it is more user-friendly and more customizable than the others. What's more, Opera keeps the pages you were browsing in memory when you close it, so it opens again at the exact same page (unrefreshed) when you restart it. So if you close you browser by mistake, you can reopen all the pages you were viewing in just one click !

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Since so many sites are geared around Internet Explorer (or, at least tested primarily with it) I generally use that. The IE interface is rather dated, however, so I use an IE shell: Maxthon. It's great for tabbed browsing (better than FireFox's tabbing, IMHO) and has a slew of other functionalities.

I use Firefox because of the security and plugin features. I love tabbed browsing - don't know how I lived without it for so long using IE. If a site is IE centric then I have a plugin that lets me open that site with the Microsoft browser whenever I type it into Firefox. The popup plugins for Firefox work like a charm too. I haven't so much as seen a popup since I started using them....I hate popups as much as anyone....it really is a life saver.
    I do wish there was a way to save my browsing when I close Firefox, like Maciamo mentioned about Opera....that would be icing on the cake.

Firefox, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardeo
    I do wish there was a way to save my browsing when I close Firefox, like Maciamo mentioned about Opera....that would be icing on the cake.
    I personally don't use it, but session-saver may be what you want. You find pretty much everything you want or need in some FF extension (or plug-in).

That's why I don't understand...
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    [Opera] is more user-friendly and more customizable than the others.
    I don't get the impression that Opera is as customisable as FF. Esp. as a webmaster you find so many useful extensions that Opera is hardly a match. Eg. the HTML Validator extension shows me that there are 14 HTML errors (besides 104 warnings) in this page.

smurf
    I like internet explorer the best.

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    That's why I don't understand...

I don't get the impression that Opera is as customisable as FF. Esp. as a webmaster you find so many useful extensions that Opera is hardly a match. Eg. the HTML Validator extension shows me that there are 14 HTML errors (besides 104 warnings) in this page.
    Errors on this JREF page ?

I don't have this plugin yet. I've just checked the Firefox Extensions and I have to admit that I had never seen there were so many hundreds of them.

I was referring more to the default options that come with the browser. In that case Firefox doesn't have many of them (now I think I've just understood why - there would be too many of them !)

Session Saver.....Thanks a Million for that. I used an extensions like that a few years back for Mozilla Suite and had forgotten all about it till Maciamo posted about how Opera had that feature....Thanks again.

IE. My skool has IE and Netscape but it neva work and IE is the only one i'ved used

Other good stuff about Opera :

- "New page" button conveniently located next to URL (just found that the same was possible in Firefox by right clicking next to the tabs - but needs to activate tab all the time if only one is open)
    - when clicking on the URL, a window appears below with the options "Home", "Top 10" and "Bookmarks". Very convenient.

Does anyone knows how to move the "Quick Links" above the Location Bar in Firefox ?

Other good stuff about Opera :

- "New page" button conveniently located next to URL (just found that the same was possible in Firefox by right clicking next to the tabs - but needs to activate tab all the time if only one is open)
    - when clicking on the URL, a window appears below with the options "Home", "Top 10" and "Bookmarks". Very convenient.

Does anyone knows how to move the "Quick Links" above the Location Bar in Firefox ?
    Click the 3rd tab, then move the pointer over the first button and select the 3rd again.Now you can click that bar and move it up
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tylsä - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.

Quote Originally Posted by RockLee
    Click the 3rd tab, then move the pointer over the first button and select the 3rd again.Now you can click that bar and move it up
    Mmm... Couldn't do it.

Hello Maciamo-san!

I've been a Firefox user for the past couple of years and like it a lot because of the extensions that you can choose to fit your needs. Because of low vision, IE makes me mad!! Even the largest font size is small for me... TextZoom extension for Firefox works great for me.

I like Session Saver, too, since I can choose to go back to the previous session or clear it and start from home page.

However, I have started using Opera for the last couple of months, because it presents a very balanced magnified view of your website on my 19" LCD monitor. Firefox makes the font size large alright, but not the rest. Each line becomes too short and very difficult to read...

The problem with Opera is that it cannot detect Japanese encoding automatically like Firefox. I have problems reading certain sites (like Yahoo Groups). That's why I have to switch between the two... I wish Firefox had an extension like IE View for switching to Opera!! (Slim chance, I know... )

Mmm... Couldn't do it.
    which language do you have for the browser? I might be able to help you better then

One more thing about Firefox, does anyone know how to configure it so that any links open in a tab instead of a new window ? In the options, under tab browsing, there is "open links from other applications in" and I chose "a new tab in the most recent window". However, if the link specifies to open a new window (target="_blank"), like all the links in this forum, Firefox opens a new window. It doesn't do that in Opera. Is there a way to solve that problem ?

This can be easily done in FF as well. Just rightklick on a toolbar, click "customize" & drag&drop the icon to where you want it.

Didn't even know that this is possible. What I heard was that the reordering of toolbars should only be implemented in FF 2.0 (or maybe 1.5?).

there is "open links from other applications in" and I chose "a new tab in the most recent window". However, if the link specifies to open a new window (target="_blank"), like all the links in this forum, Firefox opens a new window. It doesn't do that in Opera. Is there a way to solve that problem ?
    It's just from other applications. If eg. you click on a link in Word this works. For this to work with _blank links you need to do this:

"Reveal More Tab/Window Options

There are some hidden options for the Tabbed Browsing that will allow you to force links that open new windows to open in the current or a new tab. First, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Reveal more tab/window options:
    user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);

Restart Firefox and go to Tools > Options... (Edit > Preferences... under Linux and Mac OS X), select Advanced and click on Tabbed Browsing. The following options should be visible:
    Force links that open new windows to open in:
    the same tab/window as the link
    a new tab

The options should be self-explanatory."

This can be easily done in FF as well. Just rightklick on a toolbar, click "customize" & drag&drop the icon to where you want it.
    OK, got it now.

"Reveal More Tab/Window Options

There are some hidden options for the Tabbed Browsing that will allow you to force links that open new windows to open in the current or a new tab. First, add the following code to your user.js file:

// Reveal more tab/window options:
    user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs" , true);
    Thanks ! I also found this here

First, it didn't work because they said to add the user.js in /profiles/, but in my FF version the directory is named /greprefs/

Oddly, it also didn't work by editing the about:config before I found about the /greprefs/

I now have a satisfactorily customised Firefox !

Eg. the HTML Validator extension shows me that there are 14 HTML errors (besides 104 warnings) in this page.
    I have tried the HTML Validator. It's useful, but a bit outdated it seems. Many tags are not recognised (input, embed...), as well as some perfectly valid code (why could an image have a align="center" ?). That is why so many warnings are shown.

Yuyurungul
    Right now I'm on Camino, for the Mac. IE had a whole slew of problems on both my former PC and my current mac, so that was completely ruled out. Safari, my default Mac browser was good at first, but there were some minor issues, like freezing, so I'm seeing if I can take a break from it. I haven't tried Mozilla Firefox on the PC, but I heard it was good so got it for my mac. It didn't quite hold up to my standards, and it was pretty buggy, so that quickly over with. I might have tried Opera before on the PC, but I don't remember why I never used it. And Netscape I just never tried before except maybe when I was in the high school computers.

So far, Camino's doing pretty well, although it seems to be taking a lot more resources on my already-slow computer than Safari.

One bug I now have with Firefox is that I can't open it when I leave my PC on for too long and often switch between browsers. In that case (when I don't wnat to restart the PC) I use Opera.

Firefox for this boy most of the time.

I virtually NEVER use IE! Security being the main problem ... "the Bill Gates Connection" being a close second ...!

Unfortunately some websites seem to be specifically written around IE - but then I switch to an IE shell ("The Crazy Browser") - because it will give me tabbed browsing.

But I do like Opera - an exceptionally good browser in so many respects.

ƒWƒ‡ƒ“
    Why have an electric toothbrush ... if you don't have electric teeth?

One More For Firefox
    => picturetokyo.com
    => picturetokyo.com/gallery
    Courage
    *Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down.
    *Is often lack of insight, whereas cowardice in many cases is based on good information.

Well since I can't have my way *sigh*, I use MS IE.
    That posterity may know we have not loosely through silence permitted things to pass away as in a dream. � Richard Hooker

I use Firefox....

..... and on that note... some news from them:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4479412.stm

I am not really fond of Mozilla/Firefox's rendering engine (that Gecko thing). I have been using AM Browser (formerly known as Crazy Browser) since many years. It's basically a IE skin allowing tabbed browsing and pop-up blocking. The .exe file is only 687kB in size. Strongly recommended.

I use IE, I always have and I always will.
    The beauty of my rain, death isn't sleeping!

Avatar made by taxader-me especally for me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast