Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: LDP official suggests moving war criminals from Yasukuni

LDP official suggests moving war criminals from Yasukuni

Japan Times : LDP official suggests moving war criminals from Yasukuni

A senior Liberal Democratic Party official suggested Sunday enshrining Class-A war criminals somewhere other than at Yasukuni Shrine, provided their families and shrine officials agree.
    Better late than never. Let's hope that the families and shrine officials agree. If they don't at least the responsability will shift to them and release the tensions from the government. For some reason I fear this may just be why they are doing why secretly inciting them to refuse the move, so that nothing changes and other countries stop attacking the government.

"(It is desirable that) Yasukuni Shrine and the bereaved hold talks and voluntarily remove the Class-A war criminals from the shrine, and in return China support Japan's bid to become a permanent member of the United Nations Security Council," Nakagawa said.
    Isn't it a bit much to ask for China to support Japan's bid to the UNSC in exchange for stopping worshiping its worst war criminals, which should be something natural and not the result of a political exchange. Otherwise Germany could just create a shrine dedicated to Nazi leaders, then ask the former Allies and victims to support its own bid to the UNSC in exchange for removing the shrine. So absurd ! Yet, Japan did not enshrine the 14 class A war criminals until 1978.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

I somehow expected something of this nature coming sooner or later.

I cannot but laugh at the almost ingenuous~naiive expectation of reward for correcting only one part of a greater immorality. Encouragement yes, but reward, hilarious at best if not insulting. Not to get into religion, but only to find a common idea, St. Paul asks, "So should we make transgressions on purpose in order to be forgiven ?"

I wonder if the Japanese tradition, or any other culture, has a saying comparable to this expression of irony.

"Give the sickness, and give the cure !"
    •a주고 åZ주네 !

In all fairness, it is too early to pass judgement, as we all learn something new in unique ways.
    Z: The fish in the water are happy.
    H: How do you know ? You're not fish.
    Z: How do you know I don't ? You're not me.
    H: True I am not you, and I cannot know. Likewise, I know you're not, therefore I know you don't.
    Z: You asked me how I knew implying you knew I knew. In fact I saw some fish, strolling down by the Hao River, all jolly and gay.

--Zhuangzi

That was really shrewd long-term planning, enshrining those guys 27 years ago in anticipation of using them to leverage support for a UNSC seat bid.

Get real.

Abandon all false hopes ! It used to be said that gentlemen play nice before being asked, and responds promptly when indeed asked. Kind consideration goes a long mile, but disregard only breeds the like. UPI hears ...

quote Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi:
    My visits to Yasukuni Shrine and Japan's bid for permanent membership are separate issues and have no links.
    quote Japan's Ambassador to China Koreshige Anami:
    I believe Beijing will not support Japan's bid for a permanent seat on the U.N. Security Council even if Koizumi halts his visits to Yasukuni.
    Then why raise false hopes for China's support ? What is there to downplay in the embassador's remark which is only in line with Mr. Koizumi's previous disclaimer ? Having it both ways is spelt dream on.