Quote Originally Posted by Ikyoto
But Tibet was forcebly taken over by China. Doesn't that fall into the same criteria as areas of China that were invaded by Japan? The peope killed in Tibet by Chinese troops were not Chinese citizens.
Technically they were Chinese after the annexation of Tibet. Not ethnically Han, but there are many more ethnic minorities in China than the Tibetans. In fact there are 8 ethnic minorities with more people than the 5 million Tibetans (see demographics of China). But there are already people fighting for the rights of the Tibetans, sponsored by celebrities like Richard Geere. In fact, in Western countries we always hear about China and Tibet, but rarely about Japan and East Asia (at least that's my impression).

But my point is essentially that reguardless of where the pressure comes from nothing will change untill the hearts and minds of people change. Right now I have seen no evidence that the Japanese are wiling to address the issue at all, other than as a responce to external presure - It's a bandaide effect and they are not seeing it as something within their culture they even need to face.
I agree. That's why I am trying to sensivitise them to the issues at stake. But I think it's a lost cause in the current circumstances.