Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Japan disliked by 60% of neighbours

YEAH, IT'S SO CRAPPY, so what do you think the resolution is??

China estimates that their damage in Nanjing is 300,000 ppl (or even 400,000). (But their statistics is really bad, you know.)

Some Japanese ppl see this as an overestimation, one Japanese textbook says the number of victims is 200,000. (Though it's no more convincing than another. We don't know.)

China once relinquished their right to seek reparations, but now they recently started to seek "individual" reparations.

North Korea also agreed to seek no reparations, but is now also claiming payment for their victims (200,000 comfort women, 8,400,000 laborers), besides economic aid.

But nobody offers any proof, so the J-gov. should just acknowledge what they claim?? and give out the money that they ask for? Or......??

Even if Japan agreed to pay, I don't think it would help the individuals that suffered. N-korean gov would use it for another purpose.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...000005-san-pol

Last year, the S-Korean government's lie to the Korean public was revealed. Now it's clear that Japan and Korea have agreed that the S-Korean government is responsible for individual compensations.

http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20...0156-kyodo-int

http://www.cc.matsuyama-u.ac.jp/�`tam...annkyoutei.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Respons..._War_II_crimes

Additionally, Japan agreed $300 million donation and $200 million loan to South Korea as "management of claims" for a former colony. However, the transfer of the money was hidden in South Korea and keeps the Korean public in the dark about the compensation. President Park who had been holding the power when the normalization was completed, was later assassinated, and the omission of compensation for individual Korean is blamed on him.
    It's easy to blame Japan..but China & Korea are responsible for the irrational criticisms towards Japan. (If not totally, at least partially.) They don't let the ppl know what Japan has done to help them. Most Chinese ppl only know that their gov relinquished their claim to reparations, (in chinese they say, 以徳報怨, bullshit!) so they tend to think Japan has done nothing to make up for the past. They get irate because of that. The ppl (Korea & China) know very little about Japanese ODA and contributions. It's like they're taking Japanese money for no reason...

Is Japan like a goose that can lay golden eggs..? More victims= more money?
    Last edited by osias; Apr 17, 2006 at 20:12.

I read Maciamo's first link about Japan giving 500,000 tons of food aid to NK... To have a sign that says, "食糧支援反対," is just disgusting, IMHO... How could a Japanese look at a starving NK kid (that looks exactly like them), and say they are Anti-Feeding them... wow.
    これからも絶対頑張る〜

Quote Originally Posted by osias
    YEAH, IT'S SO CRAPPY, so what do you think the resolution is??
    China estimates that their damage in Nanjing is 300,000 ppl (or even 400,000). (But their statistics is really bad, you know.)
    The statistics of Japanese revisionists seem even worse. I suppose, you should check the Nanjing thread(s) we already have. This has been discussed at length:
    http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6559
    http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15507
    & more.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooker
    But none of the countries in Asia like each other.
    thats not true, the Philippines doesn't have any dislike for other asian countries.

In fact the only country that it should have a dislike for, Japan. Well the Philippines has no hard feelings for Japan. Maybe the occasional old folks who remember WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    The statistics of Japanese revisionists seem even worse.
    It seems worse only if you know what the accurate number is. People are just playing with numbers.

here is a picture that I think is relavent to this topic

To those who can't read, it is a survey on "What do you think of Japan? (like or dislike)".
    For South Korea, 12% like japan, 86% hate it, and 2% are undecided.
    For Taiwan, 93% like japan, 4% hate it, and 3% are undecided.
    For Thailand, 96% like japan, and 4% hate it.
    For Singapore, 94% like japan, and 6% hate it.

All of these countries were taken over by Japan before and during WWII, and ALL were subject to extreme violence by the japanese imperial army. So... why does South Korea still dispise Japan... and taiwan, singapore and thailand seem to have gotten over it? You tell me....

I also had an image and link of a survey that included the Philippines and China as well. I think that the Philippines had it just as bad as china or korea with hundreds of thousands of its people being killed, but in the survey, somewhere around 90% of the people surveyed liked japan and 10% hated it ....while in china, it was around 20% like, 80% hate. Anyone have the link to this? It was on my old comp that died... -_-

EDIT: can anyone please give a complete translation of what each person is saying in the image? I know a bit of japanese to differentiate between the "kirai" and "suki" and "nihon wo dou omou ka" etc... but I can't read all of it.
    Last edited by zeroyon; Apr 17, 2006 at 18:02.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroyon
    here is a picture that I think is relavent to this topic

I also had an image and link of a survey that included the Philippines and China as well. I think that the Philippines had it just as bad as china or korea with hundreds of thousands of its people being killed, but in the survey, somewhere around 90% of the people surveyed liked japan and 10% hated it ....while in china, it was around 20% like, 80% hate. Anyone have the link to this? It was on my old comp that died... -_-
    EDIT: can anyone please give a complete translation of what each person is saying in the image? I know a bit of japanese to differentiate between the "kirai" and "suki" and "nihon wo dou omou ka" etc... but I can't read all of it.
    Thats because filipinos don't usually have long grudges. Seriously if we have to hate the Japanese, we would have to hate the Americans and the SPanish for the atrocities they commited in the Philippines.

Quote Originally Posted by ejay1
    Thats because filipinos don't usually have long grudges. Seriously if we have to hate the Japanese, we would have to hate the Americans and the SPanish for the atrocities they commited in the Philippines.
    Right, so let's hate the americans

They make a fuss about Japan's history, but ..↓
    Korean Professor Accusing Fabrications in Korean History Textbooks (Sorry, in Japanese)

http://japanese.chosun.com/site/data...120000000.html
    ソウル大教授「日本による収奪論は作られた神話」
     日本による植民地時代に韓国が土地と食糧を収奪され たという韓国史教科書の著述は歪曲されたものだという 主張が提起されている。
     韓日問題を論じるシンポジウムでソウル大学の李栄薫 (イ・ヨンフン)教授が発表した内容だが、李教授は過 去の「従軍慰安婦は売春業」発言に続き、再び論争を呼び起こし ている。
     「1910年に日本は大韓帝国を強制的に併合した」
     「日本は韓国が植民地だった35年間に、韓国の土地の 40%以上を収奪し、膨大な米を略奪していった」
     これらが韓国が独立後、40年以上にわたり中学・高校 の国史教科書に記載されている内容だ。
    So Japan should take up their view?? No way!
    Last edited by osias; Apr 18, 2006 at 11:47.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroyon
    To those who can't read, it is a survey on "What do you think of Japan? (like or dislike)".
    For South Korea, 12% like japan, 86% hate it, and 2% are undecided.
    For Taiwan, 93% like japan, 4% hate it, and 3% are undecided.
    For Thailand, 96% like japan, and 4% hate it.
    For Singapore, 94% like japan, and 6% hate it.
    How representative was this poll, who conducted it & what were the questions? I have some doubts, esp. because of the wording (& the numbers). "Like" & "hate" are not usually included in reputable surveys.

The included graphic is from what I would consider a rather representative poll.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by osias
    Japan is not a totalitarian state, and opinions do vary within the country.
    When the Right wing is saying "A", the Left wing is saying "B". We can't stop that from happening. The right wing does not represent the country's official opinion. There is no consensus within the country (or outside the country) as to what has happened in the past. There are different views of history. Different 史観.
    I don't think that Japan denies anything, the government has been making official apologies, but there is no agreement as to what she has to apologize for...Japan does not think she has to accept everything that China/Korea accuse her of. Actually, some J-ppl are getting tired of what they see as false accusations.
    You also have to note that some historians from Japan, China & Korea are trying to fill this perception gap, and they actually cooperated to publish a history textbook which is common to all three countries. (I don't remember the title, what was it??) This textbook was mostly pro-China & pro-Korea.

The Yasukuni Shrine is not dedicated to the war criminals. It's a common misconception. It's dedicated to those who died in the past wars.

You are a Chinese, indeed.
    Wow,so long ~! thanks for posting ~ express yourself quite well ~~

The Yasukuni Shrine is not dedicated to the war criminals. It's a common misconception. It's dedicated to those who died in the past wars.
    then, let the Yasukuni Shrine save the bone of people being killed by Japanese ,and the killer (Japanese)should out of Yasukuni Shrine .

Quote Originally Posted by 4321go
    Wow,so long ~! thanks for posting ~ express yourself quite well ~~
    then, let the Yasukuni Shrine save the bone of people being killed by Japanese ,and the killer (Japanese)should out of Yasukuni Shrine .

It is the strange logic
    Does not China have a war dead memorial service institution?
    Did the war dead of your country kill none of the enemies?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123