China, Korea and other Asian countries that have experienced the Japanese occupation during WWII have constantly complained about the content of history textbooks used in Japanese schools everytime the Japanese Education Ministry approves new books. Germany, Austria or Italy do not have this problem. What is the difference ?

According to Wikipedia "The German education system focuses on teaching about the Holocaust and the Third Reich and denounces the crimes committed during World War II." I believe that they also explain about slave labour used by some German companies, or show pictures of concentrations camps.

Nowadays, I have seen by myself that Japanese history textbooks only quickly outline Japan's invasion of Asia in WWII, and doesn't describe the atrocities, shows any picture or insist one Japan's culpability.

Worse, modern history is an optional subject, and Japanese students have to choose between Japanese History, World History or Geography. So people who do not choose history have no mention of WWII at all. In my opinion, both geography and history from the antiquity to the late 20th century should be compulsory.

What do you think should be included in Japanese history textbooks ?