Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Beyond Buddhism and Shintoism, Japan appears to be first Confucian but also Taoist

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Beyond Buddhism and Shintoism, Japan appears to be first Confucian but also Taoist

If we look at the statistics or in any guidebook of Japan, it is commonly accepted that Japan has 2 religions, Shintoism and Buddhism, and each is followed by about 40% of the population. This is also what most Japanese people will tell you, although they may not know the percentages.

It is widely considered that Shinto is not just a religion, but a set of Japanese traditions that almost all Japanese people follow (shichigosan, coming of age ceremony, etc.).

What I hardly ever hear nonetheless is that the Japanese are Taoist and Confucianist, although the terms are almost always used to describe the mixture of beliefs held by the Chinese along with Buddhism.

This is very surspinsing, as modern Japanese people are much more influenced by Confucianism than Buddhism. Among the hundreds of Japanese people I have met, I can say that very few people under 50 years old know anything substanstial about Buddhism. Usually their knowledge of Buddhism is inferior to the one of a foreign visitor who has read the "religion" section of their (Lonely Planet) guidebook in the aeroplane before first coming to Japan. Most people cannot even name the 7 major Buddhist sects in Japan (Jodo, Jodoshin, Nichiren, Rinzai, Soto, Shingon, Tendai), although these names appear on any temple in Japan.

Notwithstanding their ignorance of Buddhist things, I found that the way of thinking of most Japanese people, even the younger generations, was thoroughly imbibed with Confucian ideas, such as the seniority system, respect for the elder, sempai/kohai system, etc.

As for Taoism (“¹‹³ in Japanese), it is also partly present in Japanese culture. I am not sure why ancestor worship (e.g. "o-bon" festival) is associated with Buddhism in Japan, as to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't exist in the original Indian Buddhism. It probably comes from Taoism, and became so popular in China that it was imported along with Buddhist ideas, and assimilated as "Buddhist". Does anyone have more information about that ?

Looking at movies related to the Heian period, there is usually magic and other Taoist elements included.

Wikipedia says that Taoism directly influenced Chinese Chan Buddhism, which became Zen Buddhism in Japan. I suppose that we could say that the Japanese are somewhat Taoist too then.

So the Japanese believe in a mixture of Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism and Shintoism. I wonder why only the two latter are usually mentioned as "the religions of Japan", while the three former are always inicated as "the religions of China".
    Last edited by Maciamo; Apr 17, 2005 at 18:27.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.