Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Multiple poll (min. 5 answers, choose any that apply) - Please read carefully !

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.1 Housing : I have been refused accommodation because I was a foreigner

25 40.32%
  • 1.2 Housing : My company provides my accommodation (so no problem)

9 14.52%
  • 1.3 Housing : I have only stayed at gaijin houses, hotels or friends' houses

9 14.52%
  • 1.4 Housing : I have lived in Japan for many years, rented my housing via a estate agent, and never had any problem

4 6.45%
  • 1.5 Housing : I have only stayed in Japan for two years or less, rented my housing via a estate agent, but never had any problem

9 14.52%
  • 2.1 Tourism : I have been refused entry to a hotel, guesthouse or weekly mansion because I was a foreigner

6 9.68%
  • 2.2 Tourism : I have stayed a few times in hotels, guesthouses and/or weekly mansions and have never been refused entry

19 30.65%
  • 2.3 Tourism : I have stayed numerous times in hotels, guesthouses and/or weekly mansions and have never been refused entry

25 40.32%
  • 3.1 Entertainment : I have been refused entry to at least one restaurant, bar, nightclub, onsen or public bath because I was a foreigner

16 25.81%
  • 3.2 Entertainment : I have been a few times to restaurants, bars, nightclubs, onsen or public baths, and was never refused entry

15 24.19%
  • 3.3 Entertainment : I have been a hundreds of times to restaurants, bars, nightclubs, onsen or public baths, and was never refused entry

22 35.48%
  • 4.1 Police : I have been stopped and asked for an ID (passport/alien registration) by the police for no reason

12 19.35%
  • 4.2 Police : I have been stopped while riding a bicycle and had my bike registration checked during day time for no reason

3 4.84%
  • 4.3 Police : I have been stopped while riding a bicycle and had my bike registration checked during night time for no reason

4 6.45%
  • 4.4 Police : I have been mistakenly arrested (taken to the police station)

1 1.61%
  • 4.5 Police : I have had other discriminatory problems with the police

4 6.45%
  • 4.6 Police : I have stayed for many years in Japan and have never been checked or annoyed by the police in Japan

15 24.19%
  • 4.7 Police : I have stayed less than 2 years in Japan and have never been checked or annoyed by the police in Japan

24 38.71%
  • 5.1 Sexual Discrimination : I have experienced sexual harassment in Japan

7 11.29%
  • 5.2 Sexual Discrimination : I have experienced sexual discrimination regarding promotion, salary or opportunity

4 6.45%
  • 5.3 Sexual Discrimination : I am not a woman or have never worked in a Japanese company

39 62.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Have you encountered discrimination or prejudices in Japan ?

On this tricentennial post, may I once again remind everyone to not feed the trolls? Have a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenski View Post
    On this tricentennial post, may I once again remind everyone to not feed the trolls? Have a good day.
    Hi Glen. How are you? Do you call yourself "Glenski" because you have Polish ancestry or do you just think it "sounds catchy"?

I was just wondering what you would call someone who engages foreign coworkers in conversation and encourages them to tell him about their frustrations, dissatisfaction and etc in their work and then report what they say to management? Do you still do that?

BTW You are aware of how intensely almost all the foreigners who know you dislike you, aren't you?

And if I may engage in a little amateur psychology..... If you don't want anyone to reply to me why do you yourself reply to me but them delete my quote? I think you crave my attention but don't want anyone else to notice it. Sorry to disappoint you but I have to tell you I am 100% heterosexual and even if I weren't, I intensely dislike you anyway!

Non-Member
    Looks like Glenski made a friend!

In imagination land Chidoriashi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan View Post
    Hooray for friendship!!

Hmmmmmm I thought I made it perfectly clear that i wasn't his friend..... He drinks beer like a little girl! Perhaps that has something to do with his suppressed homosexuality. Just speculating because I really wouldn't know about that.

Reyter you don't have to be so coy, we all can tell you have a thing for Glenski

Quote Originally Posted by nice gaijin View Post
    Reyter you don't have to be so coy, we all can tell you have a thing for Glenski
    LOL I don't know about poor Glenski but i know you are a funny guy i would like to drink beer with.

Let us all try to do our flirting in PMs and stick to the topic now, shall we?
    The last refuge of the insomniac is a sense of superiority to the sleeping world.
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by ASHIKAGA View Post
    Let us all try to do our flirting in PMs and stick to the topic now, shall we?
    Hmmmmm Sorry to be the one to tell you but the joke was already over...

Oh look , its Reyter, where idiocy has no bounds... I still see you are crying like a 6 year old girl, ah well ,seems like nothing has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    Oh look , its Reyter, where idiocy has no bounds... I still see you are crying like a 6 year old girl, ah well ,seems like nothing has changed.
    Hmmmmm You are another I said i would ignore from now but I can't help it LOL

I am so flattered you would go to the trouble of editing an image just for me but on a darker note, I really pity that you haven't been able to find a decent job yet. I mean, I know you aren't too bright but can't you even get a job as a cleaner or something like that? Surely it's better than trawling through discussion boards and editing flippant images, isn't it?

Non-Member
    Looks like Dave has a friend, too!

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    It's frustrating, isn't it?

Looks like Dave has a friend, too!
    Mikawa, I have two friends now, I am so lucky. LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Bullock View Post
    It's frustrating, isn't it?

I lived there for 1.5 years or so and yes I experienced discrimination when I first arrived, not because I was a 'foreigner' but because I had a small tattoo of the sun on my arm. I learned that many Japanese people have an aversion to tattoos (as well as the sun!), so it must have threatened them. I was banned from both the local onsen ( actually kicked out when they saw the tattoo) and from a swimming pool.
    I spent the rest of my stay working and painting (thank god I brought my computer), also trying to find either a clean beach to sit on or a quiet place to walk where I could listen to the birds. Never really found any of these as they didn't really exist where I was living. Other than that, I was almost stopped by the police on my bicycle once for racing through a light as it was changing (fair enough!) and was also sexually harassed several times by Japanese men who got the urge to masturbate when they saw me. Never really figured out why they insisted on doing that in public. I wasn't sure if they're just sexually repressed or if they did it because I was a foreigner.
    After these experiences I tended to avoid people as much as possible, and got out of the country as soon as I could, however I met some really lovely people there and learned a lot about the culture, primarily from my students.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213