Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Multiple poll (min. 5 answers, choose any that apply) - Please read carefully !

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1.1 Housing : I have been refused accommodation because I was a foreigner

25 40.32%
  • 1.2 Housing : My company provides my accommodation (so no problem)

9 14.52%
  • 1.3 Housing : I have only stayed at gaijin houses, hotels or friends' houses

9 14.52%
  • 1.4 Housing : I have lived in Japan for many years, rented my housing via a estate agent, and never had any problem

4 6.45%
  • 1.5 Housing : I have only stayed in Japan for two years or less, rented my housing via a estate agent, but never had any problem

9 14.52%
  • 2.1 Tourism : I have been refused entry to a hotel, guesthouse or weekly mansion because I was a foreigner

6 9.68%
  • 2.2 Tourism : I have stayed a few times in hotels, guesthouses and/or weekly mansions and have never been refused entry

19 30.65%
  • 2.3 Tourism : I have stayed numerous times in hotels, guesthouses and/or weekly mansions and have never been refused entry

25 40.32%
  • 3.1 Entertainment : I have been refused entry to at least one restaurant, bar, nightclub, onsen or public bath because I was a foreigner

16 25.81%
  • 3.2 Entertainment : I have been a few times to restaurants, bars, nightclubs, onsen or public baths, and was never refused entry

15 24.19%
  • 3.3 Entertainment : I have been a hundreds of times to restaurants, bars, nightclubs, onsen or public baths, and was never refused entry

22 35.48%
  • 4.1 Police : I have been stopped and asked for an ID (passport/alien registration) by the police for no reason

12 19.35%
  • 4.2 Police : I have been stopped while riding a bicycle and had my bike registration checked during day time for no reason

3 4.84%
  • 4.3 Police : I have been stopped while riding a bicycle and had my bike registration checked during night time for no reason

4 6.45%
  • 4.4 Police : I have been mistakenly arrested (taken to the police station)

1 1.61%
  • 4.5 Police : I have had other discriminatory problems with the police

4 6.45%
  • 4.6 Police : I have stayed for many years in Japan and have never been checked or annoyed by the police in Japan

15 24.19%
  • 4.7 Police : I have stayed less than 2 years in Japan and have never been checked or annoyed by the police in Japan

24 38.71%
  • 5.1 Sexual Discrimination : I have experienced sexual harassment in Japan

7 11.29%
  • 5.2 Sexual Discrimination : I have experienced sexual discrimination regarding promotion, salary or opportunity

4 6.45%
  • 5.3 Sexual Discrimination : I am not a woman or have never worked in a Japanese company

39 62.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Have you encountered discrimination or prejudices in Japan ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Have you encountered discrimination or prejudices in Japan ?

I am interested in other people's experience of discrimination or prejudices in Japan, so as to assess how widespead they are, who they affect, where it takes place and which form of discrimination/prejudices are the most common.

It is evident that the feedback I will get in this thread will depend a lot on each member's individual experiences in Japan. Those who haven;t been to Japan will not be able to reply, while those who have only stayed as visitors will probably not have experienced discrimination at all.

I personally haven't experienced discrimination in hotels or guesthouses, because I have almost never stayed in any, and when I did it was in very touristical areas and with my Japanese wife or familiy.

However, I was told by big real estate agencies that they just couldn't serve foreigners, even accompanied by my wife.

I was stopped and checked by the police 6 times (so far) in 3 and a half years in Japan; everytime in central Tokyo, close to my house, and everytime without reason when I was riding my bicycle to/from work (although I was asked twice for my alien registration card, and they didn't even check my bicycle registration). However, had I only stayed 1.5 years in Japan, I would have insisted that I was never annoyed by the police, as the first time I was checked was about 1.5 years after my arrival. So I guess it is just a matter of luck and how long one stays in Japan, but almost bound to happen to anybody staying for many years, no matter how formal they dress (I was wearing a suit all but one time when I was checked).

Japanese females are free to reply to the sexual discrimination question. Not being a woman, and not working full-time in a Japanese company, the only feedback I can give regards what I heard from female Japanese friends.

I am also interested to know if you have experienced similar discrimination in your country, or visiting/living in other countries. Personally, I have lived in 5 European countries (including Italy and Spain, where I clearly look like a foreigner), spend several months in India and Australia, and travelled to many more countries on all 5 continents, but had never been checked by the police or refused accommodation before.

I have never been to a public bath, and very rarely go to onsen or nightclubs, so I haven't experienced any problem about these in Japan.
    Last edited by Maciamo; Mar 29, 2005 at 17:02.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.