Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What meat have you tried ?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beef

41 100.00%
  • Pork

39 95.12%
  • Wild boar

12 29.27%
  • Venison (deer)

27 65.85%
  • Horse

13 31.71%
  • Antelope

7 17.07%
  • Kangaroo

8 19.51%
  • Ostrich/emu

16 39.02%
  • Turkey

37 90.24%
  • Chicken

40 97.56%
  • Pheasant

15 36.59%
  • Smaller birds (e.g. pigeon)

21 51.22%
  • Lamb

36 87.80%
  • Goat

14 34.15%
  • Camel

1 2.44%
  • Whale/dolphin

7 17.07%
  • Frog (legs)

20 48.78%
  • Rabbit

22 53.66%
  • Dog

3 7.32%
  • Snails

25 60.98%
  • Fried insects (grasshopers, cockroches...)

10 24.39%
  • Snake, lizard, turtle

7 17.07%
  • Duck, goose

30 73.17%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What meat have you tried ?

Arrow What meat have you tried ?

Japanese people are voracious meat eaters. Interesting as they were mostly vegetarians, apart from fish ans seafood, before the late 19th century.

Nevertheless, most Japanese limit their culinary experiments to the 3 main meats : beef, pork and chicken. Most of them make faces when you tell them about lamb, and very few have ever eaten turkey, pheasant, rabbit, venison (deer), wild boar, horse, goat, frog, snail, ostrich/emu, kangaroo, camel, antelope, crocodile/aligator, snake... (but thet do eat whale and dolphin !)

My question is, which of these meats do you like - and which have you never tried ? Personally I am yet to try some smaller birds like pigeon or thrush (eaten in France), or snake. Although I have tried whale sushi once, I am not going to try again and I won't have dolphin and probably not dog either.

So far, there isn't any meat I really dislike. It's all about how it is cooked and serrved.
    Last edited by Maciamo; Jun 22, 2005 at 18:53.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

修行中
    Aside from the ones I selected in the poll (beef, pork, venison, turkey, chicken, smaller birds [like blackbird], lamb, frog legs, and rabbit), I've also had alligator, duck, turtle, and goose. That's all I can think of for now, not counting seafood (crab, lobster, crawfish, shrimp, prawns, and lots of fish). I like all of the meat I've tried to date.

Well, I guess I could also include lovebugs, because I once chewed on a pair of them without knowing it for a while. They taste just like and have the same texture as well done beef. However, I can't see myself conciously eating them again. I just don't like bugs all that much. Snails freak me out too. I also wouldn't eat dog.

Oooooh....! My favorite! I'm a carnivore !

Tally so far, I have had ...and liked ...

Beef /Veal
    Pork
    Goat
    Lamb/Mutton
    Venison (The best !)
    Wild Boar (No comparison with pork - superb!)
    Rabbit (Love it !)
    Bison
    Musk Ox
    Moose
    Ostrich (Disappointing)
    Chicken
    Duck
    Goose
    Chinese "Silkey" Chicken
    Turkey
    Quail
    Guineafowl
    Pheasant(Excellent!)
    Partridge
    Pigeon
    Snail
    Frog's Legs
    Crab
    Squid
    Octopus
    Lobster
    Crawfish

... and am still waiting to have a go at Bear (My son has had it - the swine!)

In addition - and possibly an addition to the thread - I've also tried, not just the "regular" cuts of meat from the above - but also enjoy the livers, kidneys, hearts, tripe, chitterlings and all the other rubbish that so many people ignore.

(But never eat Bear Liver! It's loaded with vitamin A - you'll OD - and die !)

I may not be a food critic - bu I do know what I like!

Yum, Yum!

ジョン
    Why have an electric toothbrush ... if you don't have electric teeth?

修行中
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensuikan San
    In addition - and possibly an addition to the thread - I've also tried, not just the "regular" cuts of meat from the above - but also enjoy the livers, kidneys, hearts, tripe, chitterlings and all the other rubbish that so many people ignore.
    Sounds like my friend. He likes the throats and gizzards too. I, on the other hand, don't, and got quite a shock when he made some rice with all of that stuff thrown in there and I ate it. I almost threw up.

I have to say I'm a big fan of meat in general, Here in the rocky mountains we have a game animal called "elk" I guess it would be classified as venison but it is particularly tasty, if you get a chance try it.

By the way what is chitterling?
    Last edited by TheKansaiKid; Jun 22, 2005 at 12:18. Reason: added question

修行中
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
    the intestines of hogs especially when prepared as food
    Not bad as a casing, i.e. sausage, eh (or is that just cow intestines?)? Not sure I'd want to eat the entire intestines, though.

Oh yes, how could I forget duck, one of my favourites ! I could have added water buffalo, musk ox, bison, etc. but that's basically beef. I'll put the elk and reindeer (which I ate a month ago for the first time ) into the venison category.

Note that the seafood is not part of this thread/poll as we could have a whole list just for that (especially in Japan !).

I've gone veg for over a year now although I do allow myself a piece of lean meat every 10 days or so (usually a piece of skinless, boneless chicken boiled or baked). Protein is important for me so I have to find other alternatives to get enough of what I need. Back when I was a carnivore though, I use to love bacon, italian sausage, venison steak, you name it...

you can never beat having a piece of beef,

You SPAM/We BAN !

Cooked On An Outdoor Grill.....

shark steaks and tuna steaks are real good. For some reason they taste just like a good beef steak when grilled.

Frank

TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SUGAR !!
    I USED TO BE FUNNY, BUT MY WIFE HAD ME NEUTERED!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D. White
    shark steaks and tuna steaks are real good.

Frank

would you agree on saying that every animal could be considered a piece of meat and should be on the list,
    a dear friend of mine had some whale meat once, (didn't know at the time)

Squirrel didn't make the list?

Quote Originally Posted by mikecash
    Yeah I know. I also thought of cats and prairie dogs but there are too cute to be eaten (which is why we eat pigs, cows and chickens most of the time ).

most of my japanese friends have eaten basahi ...me too, although its not really acceptable in my culture

i ate porcupine in vietnam...at least thats what they said it was

i also ordered duck egg fetus in two restaurants while i was there but to my relief was told they were out in both places...maybe they new of the high liklihood of a messy spew-ridden aftermath

also ate haggis...which is not a sheep\s stomach just cooked in it and mine was actually cooked in the more modern plastic version

tasted a bit like irish black pudding which is made from pigs blood...yummy
    Last edited by deadhippo; Jun 22, 2005 at 23:32. Reason: addition

a non member
    Interresting thread!!!

well i eat
    pork
    deer
    horse
    skippie
    snail
    beef
    goat
    lamb
    Chicken
    Duck

i really loved the Skippie. to bad i didnt hit one myself, and put in the trunk.. mmm how bad... sorry this is a joke... i met people who did this... even know an oz guy who hit one.. but it wasnt death yet.. but suffert much. so he keep hitting him, until he was death.. mmm poor kangeroo

mm well love meat.. but only when there are enough animals of it... so no whale for me!!!! DOPHIN who eats dolphin?

btw i would love to eat a cockroach .. grilled of course... ( after seeing Fear factor .. i think i can eat this things)

I have tried most of the list except horse, the English aren't known for eating horse, Camel, Dog (I have been told it is tough), Whale/Dolphin (Although I've eaten in Wales. Bad pun) Frogs legs, any type of reptile and insects. Interestingly I saw a programme once about eating insects and amoung the inhabited continents Europe is the only place where insects do not make up part of the diet. I can't honestly say about kangeroo, as It is sometime sold in some main stores and I might have had some once.
    Of the ones I do eat I am not a big fan of pork and usually do not eat it. I find it bland or too salty. I am not fond of salty food. The only time I eat it is a bacon, egg and mushroom sandwich. I'm a trucker, what do you expect?
    I love fish and will eat most types. Why haven't you included fish? After all fish is a type of meat.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

Although chicken is the meat I eat most often these days, I love venison, turkey and especially grouse; I've had grouse meat once when my husband caught it.

Oh boy! He caught it in the field where apple trees were all over, which was whtat the grouse had been eating, so the meat was naturally flavored with a slight hint of apples.

I've also had alligator meat, but I don't think I'll try it again.

Meh, nothing very strange I'm afraid. I'd love to try some insect based food someday though.

修行中
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecash
    Ah, squirrel. I'm glad you caught that one. I've eaten it, and I'd eat it again.

I have participated in the poll...

Apart from those I have clicked on, I have also tasted crocodile at an Australian restaurant.....Didn't like it very much though....

I have tried crocodile, too.
    The meat was not tender unfortunately.
    PEACE ON EARTH

Even though this isn't on the list, I was wondering if anyone here has tried cow tongue? It probably really isn't a meat, but I was just wondering.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

a non member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    Even though this isn't on the list, I was wondering if anyone here has tried cow tongue? It probably really isn't a meat, but I was just wondering.

no, but it sound lovely

DB you're too kind. You know whenever I ask people if they've ever tried cow tongue before they get a disgusted look on their face. It's really funny to the reactions I get. But in all honesty, if you were to ever try cow tongue you wouldn't it was tongue.

You SPAM/We BAN !

Hummmmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    DB you're too kind. You know whenever I ask people if they've ever tried cow tongue before they get a disgusted look on their face. It's really funny to the reactions I get. But in all honesty, if you were to ever try cow tongue you wouldn't it was tongue.
    I once ate "mad cow" tongue and till this day I moo at the full moon!

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast