Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: (Recently) I sleep more often...

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • on my left side

1 6.25%
  • on my right side

2 12.50%
  • first on my left side then right side

1 6.25%
  • first on my right side then left side

0 0%
  • back and forth many times from one side to the other

8 50.00%
  • on my belly

3 18.75%
  • on my back

2 12.50%
  • in a foetal position

1 6.25%
  • sitting !

1 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: On what side do you sleep ?

Question On what side do you sleep ?

I have long been interested in the relation between the side of the head/body one sleeps and its cerebral activity, and thus also personality. Depending on the days, and especially my type of activity during the day, I have found through the years that I slept in different positions.

In the last few months, I have almost always laid in bed on my left side for 5 to 30min, during which time I let my mind flow about lots of things I had been thinking during the day, then I turn myself to my right side to sleep. As a child I often slept on the belly, but it is now very rare (only when I am very tired). When I was travelling around Asia, I was more inclined to sleep on the back, maybe because I was more physically tired than mentally.

What about you ?

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

I sleep on my belly! Cant sleep in any other positions. My mother said sleep like that since i was 1 year old

I sleep on either side, depending on which feels more comfortable when I go to bed. I can't sleep on my belly because I find it really uncomfortable and my back starts to hurt. If I lie on my back I cannot get to sleep, but I do find it restful. Actually before I get up in the morning I lie on my back to help wake me up and to make sure I don't fall asleep again. Strangely enough when I have someone else in the bed I have to sleep with my back to them. I hate facing someone whilst asleep.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

With me, it varies - I really couldn't say. Belly, back, one side or the other... I tend to sleep less on my back, though, because your breathing wakes you up as you drop off. Strangely enough, I often find I lie on my back with my wrists trapped in my headboard ( )... maybe it's a subconsious way of keeping me in one place long enough to allow myself to fall asleep But I have trouble sleeping and generally I'm all over the place.

At the moment I'm attempting to sleep on my left side.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsao
    Strangely enough, I often find I lie on my back with my wrists trapped in my headboard ( )...
    Out with the handcuffs then

I like to sleep on my belly, but sometimes I lie on my side, swapping sides every few minutes, as it always takes me a long time to drift off. I can't sleep on my back, but if I can't get to sleep I find it relaxing to lie on my back for a few minutes. I always have to sleep on Simon's left though. He always sleeps facing away from me, i.e. on his right side.
    "A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life
    merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

Currently playing: Agarest on PS3
    Currently reading: The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley

I prefer sleeping on my left side. Don't know why, but I generally like my left side more then right. But before I fall asleep, I'm on my back, just thinking or something.

First I sleep on my right side, then I switch to my belly. For as long as I can remember I could never sleep on my back.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    Out with the handcuffs then
    I might have known you'd say that....

It's true, though... I don't realise I'm doing it, but when I stay somewhere else where I can't, I miss it...

I start out sleeping on my back. Then during the course of the night during my sleep I must move around a lot because my pillow it usually at an odd angle when I wake up, and my sheets are all in a mess. I find that I must sleep from side to side when I'm actually sleeping rather than on my back. Sometimes I'll try to sleep on my sides or my stomach, but that's only if I'm having a hard time trying to get to sleep.

Doc
    "Rather than offer you the illusion of free choice, I will take the liberty of choosing for you... if and when your time comes round again. I do apologize for what must seem to you an arbitrary imposition, Dr. Freeman. I trust it will all make sense to you in the course of... well... I'm really not at liberty to say. In the meantime... this is where I get off." -G-man

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsao
    I might have known you'd say that....

It's true, though... I don't realise I'm doing it, but when I stay somewhere else where I can't, I miss it...
    It was a purely innocent remark, honest. If you take it the wrong way it's not my fault. I'm just a sweet innocent lad

Quote Originally Posted by Mycernius
    It was a purely innocent remark, honest. If you take it the wrong way it's not my fault. I'm just a sweet innocent lad
    And I'm the Pope.....

Doc

a non member
    how do i sleep? in my chair excually, i dont have a bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Baka
    how do i sleep? in my chair excually,
    That happened when I was in school, especially in the afternoon.

When I was a baby, I slept so much on my back that the back of my head got flattened. My mother got me a pillow with a dent in the middle, but I guess it was too late. She told me that I didn't move around at all when I slept.

It depends on how tired I am, but I lie on my right side, switch to my left side, on my back and repeat that until I drift away. I usually wake up on my back.

I sleep on my stomach.
    That's the only way I can sleep. I've slept that way my whole life. Always start out reading a book or magizine to relax but when the lights go out I'm on my stomach. Can't sleep any otherway.

Yuyurungul
    Your post reminds me of an article I read a while ago relating to sleep position and personality:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3112170.stm

# The Foetus: Those who curl up in the foetus position are described as tough on the outside but sensitive at heart. They may be shy when they first meet somebody, but soon relax.

This is the most common sleeping position, adopted by 41% of the 1,000 people who took part in the survey. More than twice as many women as men tend to adopt this position.

# Log (15%): Lying on your side with both arms down by your side. These sleepers are easy going, social people who like being part of the in-crowd, and who are trusting of strangers. However, they may be gullible.

# The yearner (13%): People who sleep on their side with both arms out in front are said to have an open nature, but can be suspicious, cynical. They are slow to make up their minds, but once they have taken a decision, they are unlikely ever to change it.

# Soldier (8%): Lying on your back with both arms pinned to your sides. People who sleep in this position are generally quiet and reserved. They don't like a fuss, but set themselves and others high standards.

# Freefall (7%): Lying on your front with your hands around the pillow, and your head turned to one side. Often gregarious and brash people, but can be nervy and thin-skinned underneath, and don't like criticism, or extreme situations.

# Starfish (5%): Lying on your back with both arms up around the pillow. These sleepers make good friends because they are always ready to listen to others, and offer help when needed. They generally don't like to be the centre of attention.
    Might not have been exactly the article I read, but it was close.

Me, it varies. I have to change position a lot because both my neck and body can't stand to be in one position for long. Eventually I fall asleep, but I'm not sure what position I end up falling asleep in. Maybe I have personality issues...? Or maybe just neck issues.

Usually, though, I start out with the back or right side, after which I switch like crazy.

I always sleep facing North! As for the rest of it? It varies, but never on my belly!

a non member
    Quote Originally Posted by CC1
    I always sleep facing North! As for the rest of it? It varies, but never on my belly!
    facing North, well we known now what your religion is: Christmas!

Pink Lady's Number #1 Fan Flashjeff's Avatar
    I'm something of a light sleeper and from time to time I tend to toss and turn. But, as a rule, I often sleep on my left side facing the bedroom door so no serial killers who break into the house in the middle of the night catch me with my back to them and defenseless. I know, it sounds stupid, but it's what works for me!

"It's better to try and fail than to never try at all."
    -Jeffrey C. Branch, crackpot philosopher

Interested in old school J-Pop? Please visit my website:
    Pink Lady: The Website!

Many thanks to Ayu-youkou for this mondo cool banner!

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    I always sleep on my right side, in a foetal position, my hand grabbing the bed cover and curling it into me nice and snug

My right leg is curled in so my knee is towards my body but my left leg is sticking out with my foot sticking out the cover.

I know its a strange sleeping position, but its how i like to sleep, though i can sleep any other way.

I will always start out in bed on my right side and try to sleep that way, but through the course of early bed-time i will change position as and when it takes my fancy...its almost an unconcious action really.

I'm something of a light sleeper and from time to time I tend to toss and turn. But, as a rule, I often sleep on my left side facing the bedroom door so no serial killers who break into the house in the middle of the night catch me with my back to them and defenseless. I know, it sounds stupid, but it's what works for me!
    Aw thats easy, i just have a replica revolver leannig against my bedside table on the bed side, i have a Bokken at my bedroom door if i hear wierd noises, i have a ye olde broad-sword on supports over my bedroom door if i need something sharper, and it might take a few minutes and effort to get to (i made it this way on purpouse, just in-case im sleep-doing things) but i also have an air-riflein-between my wall and wardrobe, in its case, and i have the pellets locked away.
    Not as powerful as a gun but, it will make a potential serial killer think twice...

lol.

I toss and turn alot aswell, but i wouldnt considor myself a light sleeper.

Has anyone noticed when there's thunder or a thunder-storm your senses seem to totaly become highly tuned and sensitive?.

Thats about the only time i cant sleep at night, when theres thunder and im just all wired.
    Last edited by nurizeko; Nov 2, 2005 at 18:54.