Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Do you prefer to live in a house or a flat/apartment (at equal price and area)

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong preference for houses

8 50.00%
  • Slight preference for houses

1 6.25%
  • No preference

1 6.25%
  • Slight preference for flats/apartments

3 18.75%
  • Strong preference for flats/apartments

3 18.75%

Thread: House or flat/apartment ?

Question House or flat/apartment ?

The preference for a house or flat/apartment can vary a lot from country to country. For example, British people usually dislike flats and show a strong preferrence for (detached) houses. There is even a hierarchy in housing from detached house at the top, then semi-detached house (sharing one wall with another house), terraced house (sharing a wall with a house one each side), and, at the bottom, the flat. In Japan, many people now seem to like modern "mansion" (flats/apartments), and the higher the better.

This can easily be explained by the strong individualism of British people, who not only want to own their land, but care a lot about their privacy, have their own little garden and being able to change everything you want in your house without other people's consent (something you can't do in a flat).

The Japanese are known for their collectivism, which bring them a stronger sense or protection and community. They like high buildings because "light" is usually a determinant factor for them, rather than privacy or even land.

Contrarily to the Brits, if some Japanese say they want their own land, it is usually only as a financial security in case of earthquake, not a strong desire to own a part of the country which they can call their private possession where no one else can stand without their permission.

Another advantage of flats over houses is that we don't need to always go upstairs and downstairs (although bungalow houses like in Australia can achieve the same).

Personally, I dislike flats/apartments and have a strong preference for detached houses. So much that even a semi-detached house is just as bad as a flat.

What about you ? Imagine that you live in a town/city where there are as many houses than flats (a bit like in Tokyo).

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Houses are a hassle because you have to look after the garden. Flats are lower maintenance and less responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Index
    Houses are a hassle because you have to look after the garden. Flats are lower maintenance and less responsibility.
    Well, I have never seen a house with a garden in Tokyo...

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Well, I have never seen a house with a garden in Tokyo...
    True. I suppose I was thinking from an Australian perspective....
    On further retrospection, in Tokyo I would probabably prefer a house, just for the extra privacy.

I almost rented a house with a friend in Nakano once but we decided against it because of the layout. It would have been too difficult to share for two bachelors. It was quite old, but large and not too expensive compared with flats of the same size. Both bedrooms were on the second floor however, with no separate access, so we gave up on it and I ended up on my own in a 1K in Akebonobashi. It was nice actually, but the walls were thin-more bad luck for my neighbour than me I think, as I was the louder one

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar
    House.

There is no way I would live in an apartment by choice. I love my space, I love my acre yard(garden), I love not having to worry about hearing what's going on beside me or above me or disturbing anyone below me.

This is one of the reasons that I know I couldn't live in Japan long-term. Way too crowded for my taste. I like my privacy and space. I also like knowing that my children and animals have room to run and play.
    i carry your heart with me(i carry it in my heart)

I guess I'm very British here (might be due to my British ancestry) and strongly prefer houses

I lived in a house for all of my life, but to me a house would be too much hassle to maintain...whereas an appartment isn't that much hassle, and u don't have to pay half of your life to pay it back But when I would have children I think I'd prefer a house....well, it all depends on where I would live ne?
    ~ Parempi hullu kuin tylsä - Better crazy than boring ~
    http://www.fin-style.be/blog -> My Blog about Finland and other random thingies.

Quote Originally Posted by RockLee
    whereas an appartment isn't that much hassle, and u don't have to pay half of your life to pay it back
    My poll was "at equal price".

I just moved into a house, and there is no way for me going back to an apartment. Nothing like having my own space.

I was always bothered by people who lived behind the walls when I lived in an apartment, and not having that stress is a huge advantage of living in the house.

Japanese houses are so close to each other especially in a city, like you can almost touch your neigbor's wall out of your window. I was starting to see many three story buildings for a house and the houses shared by two generations called "NISETAI JUKYO", which seem to have a lot less privacy than your own house.

Quote Originally Posted by misa.j
    Japanese houses are so close to each other especially in a city, like you can almost touch your neigbor's wall out of your window.
    Not almost, I can easily do it. I also can hear my neighbours opening or closing doors, the vaccum cleaner, and sometimes I hear them singing in the bathroom or doing stuff. No privacy at all.

haha ... that would be fun !

@Maciamo...u can't...unless it's a REALLY REALLY expensive flat !!!

Pink Lady's Number #1 Fan Flashjeff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Not almost, I can easily do it. I also can hear my neighbours opening or closing doors, the vaccum cleaner, and sometimes I hear them singing in the bathroom or doing stuff. No privacy at all.
    I'll second that! I live in a rowhouse, in the inner city, and that's no barrel of laughs

Home ownership is vastly overrated, and that's coming from someone who owns one. The regular maintenance alone is a ***** and a half. Last summer I had to get my basement waterproofed after it flooded after a particularly potent rainstorm. Let's say the cost was just as ugly as the storm itself.

As someone who lives alone (with nothing in the way of prospects for getting married), owning a house doesn't make much sense for me. Chances are I'll probably move into an apartment within a year or so once I save up a nest egg and find someone to foist this place I'm in off of. Just to get out from the chains of maintenance alone would be worth it.
    "It's better to try and fail than to never try at all."
    -Jeffrey C. Branch, crackpot philosopher

Interested in old school J-Pop? Please visit my website:
    Pink Lady: The Website!

Many thanks to Ayu-youkou for this mondo cool banner!

Always a house for me! I have lived in an apartment twice, and I'll never go back! Mind you I'll never be dumb enough to buy a house with its outer walls only 3ft away from the house next door! (ok, maybe it's not because they are dumb!) I have been carefully planning the construction of our home to ensure that people do not build right on top of us.

Quote Originally Posted by RockLee
    @Maciamo...u can't...unless it's a REALLY REALLY expensive flat !!!
    In big cities (London, Paris, Tokyo...) it's not difficult to find flats that cost more than houses. In some very central areas, there are almost no houses, and as land prices are much higher, a big flat can easily cost more than a house in the suburbs. I have seen some luxury flats in Tokyo that had a reception not unlike a 4-star hotel, with a huge hall, a fountain in the middle, and classical music playing in the lift (which was alo equipped with chairs incase you'd get tired from standing a few seconds).

well I like both.

I picture myself when I am older having something like this....

A very modern, cosmopolitan highrise apartment in the city which works as a great base of operations to live in etc. But then I have a nice country mansion on a lake (if you have seen oceans 12 it will be very very similar to the one that nightfox lives in) where I can take heaps of friends away to and party hard and relax as well! (mind you I will make sure i have plenty of money when I am older so I can afford this lol)
    When it comes down to it the art and sport of Kendo is a question, "I'm going to hit you in the head with a stick, but can you hit me first?" - Me

I like apartments!
    I guess I like to rent things!
    B.G.A.N.2

hmmmmm i'd say depends, while i'm young and un married and a bit more active i guess an appartment, but if grow older and have kids and wife i guess i'd want a house for my family and also i like to blast my music in the morning whilst i get ready to get on with my day so i guess a house or more spatial thing would be better