Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: What's the deal with China ?

What's the deal with China ?

I was just thinking a bit ago, why are the two biggest democratic powers, the US and the EU, so friendly with China. I mean of course trade and interests and what not, but isn't it a bit hypocritical of these two to have such relations with China. One on side they preach about democracy and how the countries in the middle east should reform to democracy and about the consolidation of democracy on other developing countries, and on the other side they grin and grimace with the friendly-looking chinese goverment delegation. I mean in China there has still no political freedom if i'm not mistaken, there are still communist elements, the country is still run by the communist party. What kind of example does this set? I think this type of behaviour totally undermines anyone's basis to make such exlacamations as the rule of democracy and what not. Well just pondering..............

I was thinking the same thing. I think there had been attempts made by the US and EU to convince China to become democratic. But what I am more surprised about is that China is becoming more and more capitalistic. That could be the reason why the US and EU are friendly with China, they want to enter the world trade and need help.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Well, China is becomming very powerful, and no one wants to piss them off. But I think it's a very uneasy relationship. There's no trust there. Basically they're "friends" because it would really suck for both sides if they became enemies.

But I don't think we should just write a country off just because we don't agree with their political system.
    For information on the pros and cons of teaching at Nova English schools in Japan, check out

i want China to be democratic
    but they can't just go democratic overnight
    to be democratic, you would have to educate your people first,
    there are too many poor people in China, many can't even read and write Chinese, the crime rate in China is quite high, many of those poor people are just out there breaking the laws

China is getting more and more powerful at a high rate
    just imagine a country that is democratic but their citizens are not educated,
    and when the country becomes like a superpower,
    i tell you, it could become quite scary and i am sure you do not want to see that happening

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    i want China to be democratic
    but they can't just go democratic overnight
    to be democratic, you would have to educate your people first
    I totally agree with your post. The only problem I see is that the PRC government doesn't make much of an effort to educate the people. It looks more like the CCP is very afraid of losing power & is doing everything to keep it.

A very easy answer to this question. Money, and the fact China has a Nuclear arsenal and an army bigger than the US. Bit I think the primary motive is money. The same goes for Saudi Arabia. Most of the terrorist involved in 9/11 were saudi's and so is Bin Laden. A lot of terrorist are trained in Saudi Arabia. Why not attck Saudi Arabia? Answer-trade=money. Let's go to war with Iraq instaed 'cos he don't like us (ie:-We don't get much trade from him at the moment)
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    I totally agree with your post. The only problem I see is that the PRC government doesn't make much of an effort to educate the people. It looks more like the CCP is very afraid of losing power & is doing everything to keep it.

yes, thats the CCP
    and in China, if you are a democrat, or human rights activist or whatever,you are risking your life, and the lives of your family and friends

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    yes, thats the CCP
    and in China, if you are a democrat, or human rights activist or whatever,you are risking your life, and the lives of your family and friends
    This is exactly what I mean, and let's not forget the secrecy and denial of the initial SARS spread, and also the refusal to acknowelde the growing AIDS epdidemic in the country side. I mean I'm sure that if the US and EU both put a bit of pressure on issues like these they could help move things along.

The reigns of power

Of course the CCP does not want to share power with its own populace. What is new about that? What despotism ever does? But the very people who clutch so tightly to the reigns of power also appreciate the value of a buck, so they allow an economic system to "infect" the PRC that will produce a profit.

Materialistic Marxists. Damn, I have seen just about everything now!

But, that changes nothing. The largest corporation in the PRC is the People's Liberation Army. They produce a long line of consumer goods for export, in between times when they train to "liberate" Taiwan...of course, they don't train so hard, because they spend so much time making a profit...and managing all of that cheap labor--the PRC harnesses all of the political prisoners to provide the manpower to make things run. Some of those people are very talented and it would be a shame to allow all that talent go to waste, wouldn't it?

The only bright spot on the whole dirty picture is the fact that most of the CCP leaders are geriatrics who will shuffle off this mortal coil sooner than later. Maybe "the next generation" will do more than go where no one has gone before.
    Last edited by Shooter452; Mar 1, 2005 at 13:40. Reason: spelling corrections