Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over 80% of Japanese support death penalty

Heimin
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooker
    Seems like a lot of the time when people are put to death in America it's because they wanted to die and didn't fight it. If you keep appealing, you can be on death row forever. My thinking is, why punnish society by making them pay for a worthless person to live in jail for the rest of their life?
    The difference in Japan is, the execution can be carried out rather swiftly. I heard recently a killer who had walked into a school yard and killed and injured kids was executed in about 6 months after the sentencing. Maybe then, somebody might start thinking twice before killing anybody.

If my kid was ever murdered, I wouldn't want my tax money housing and feeding the mother____ for the rest of his life.

While I understand and support your thesis

Seems like a lot of the time when people are put to death in America it's because they wanted to die and didn't fight it. If you keep appealing, you can be on death row forever. My thinking is, why punnish society by making them pay for a worthless person to live in jail for the rest of their life?

@Maciamo...
    I don't know what you're on about there. Making movies?
    Death penalty convictions--after the appeals, clemency requests, reviews, etc are completed--tend to be so expensive that society seldom saves anything over housing the felons for life. For example, the famous case of Caryl Chessman lingered on for a decade before he was finally given his day in the gas chamber.

AFAIK, the problem with life sentences in the USA is that even when they are written by the courts with no-possibility-of-parole, we still tend to let convicted murderers out of prison, and in some cases to kill again. Those who remain incarcerated sometimes kill victims while inside penal institutions. The only virtue of capital punishment is that repeat offenses are not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter452
    Death penalty convictions--after the appeals, clemency requests, reviews, etc are completed--tend to be so expensive that society seldom saves anything over housing the felons for life.
    My answer for that would be to cut down on the appeals. In cases where they've obviously got the right guy, they shouldn't let him waste everyone's time and money, and just get on with it. Usually an appeal is based on some kind of legal technicality that occured in a previous court proceeding, rather than the accused claiming that he's innocent.
    For information on the pros and cons of teaching at Nova English schools in Japan, check out

In cases where they've obviously got the right guy, they shouldn't let him waste everyone's time and money, and just get on with it.
    The problem is that sometimes you obviously got the right guy & ten years later on you find that the police overlooked something very substantial.

indeed. but how about keeping it for extreme cases?. Like when someone stabs a guy in the eye on live TV broadcasted around the world on a major television station, then proceeds to rape his corpse?

Ok, that's a bit extreme, but you get my point. If the guy is caught slashing in to the last parts of a mutilated body with his sharpened nails, howling at the moon, I say give him the chair.
    I!

www.orz.eu
    I find affence at your post as I ware eyeglass and have lmited site.
    Sankyuu~!
    http://japan.orz.eu - A site for my trip to Japan.

For my own sake

I support the appeal process for any number of reasons, but first of them is for my own sake. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that one of us could find ourselves accused someday. I want every protection in place, incase it is me.

I suppose that makes me selfish, but so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    The problem is that sometimes you obviously got the right guy & ten years later on you find that the police overlooked something very substantial.
    That is why I am only in favour of death penalty for (political/relgigious) leaders who order to commit murders, terrorist attacks, etc. In thatcase, it doesn't even matter whether the leader (eg. Bin Laden, Bush, Sharon, etc.) have killed anybody themselves, they are responsible for ordering people to do it. This is even clearer if the "orders" were mediatised on TV, in public speeches, etc.

The only other case for which I would admit death penalty is when someone takes a AK47 and start shooting on people in the street (or in a shopping centre, or whatever) and is caught on the spot by the police. Very often such people are shot on the spot by the police anyway - without trial needed. This is not officially recognised as death penalty, but has the same effects, and I know that some serious criminal have been killed by the police in this way also in Western Europe, where death penalty has long been abolished.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12