Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: How should Japanese deal with foreigners ?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • They should assume that they can't understand Japanese and use gestures

4 2.76%
  • They should first ask them whether they can speak Japanese (either in Japanese or in English)

92 63.45%
  • They should address them in Japanese and only use gestures or speak more slowly if the person doesn't understand

49 33.79%

Thread: Should all Japanese directly address foreigners in Japanese ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Even in central Tokyo, when going to my local dry cleaner or bento-ya, the women there (over 50) always use sign languages with me, eventough I have been going there regularily for over 3 years. When I come in, they act as if they had never seen me before and look all confused. At the bento-ya I might say with a confident air "honjitsu no makunouchi bento kudasai" (making it longer than what the Japanese usually say on purpose). My pronuciation cannot be bad, as they never ask me to repeat (except if they are visibly too nervous to notice that I'd said something). But when asked to pay, they show either write teh price down on a piece of paper or show it on the cashier's stand - rather than even saying it once before in Japanese. Everytime I say "ahh yon hyaku kyuju en desu ka ? shosho omachi kudasai (check in my wallet), hai, yon hyaku kyuju en desu." to show them that I prefer being told in Japanese. No matter if I go there 4 times in a month, sometimes with my wife with whom I speak Japanese expressedly to show them I am fluent, but these dumb women keep writing the price down on a piece of paper and showing it to me with their finger without a word. This happens even more frequently once we go to the countryside. Now I try to avoid these "blacklisted" shops, even if I have to go more far away to find another where that doesn't happen.
    Ha, now I'm curious too! Why they discarded the easiest way--talking with you, since you can speak Japanese fluently? Did you ever ask them directly why they don't want to talk with you in Japanese?
    Last edited by quiet sunshine; Feb 20, 2005 at 16:04.