Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: PG-rated : 40 reasons to think that the Japanese are superficial

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Qutiepie View Post
    Japanese typically do not discuss their country's politics with foreigners,same as whites rarely do with Asians and others in Ameirca.
    Let's not get carried away. This thread is NOT "Japanese people are superficial when talking to foreigners", but "in general when talking with other Japanese". There are debates about society, politics and/or culture almost everyday on the main French and Belgian TV channels (see thread), yet I have never seen anything like that in Japan. Likewise they are documentaries about history, nature, world cultures, or some at biographical character (e.g. reviewing a politican's career) on TV in almost every country in Western Europe, but they are comparartively very rare in Japan. TV (I mean here, the main few channels that everybody gets) is one of the best reflection of a country's society and interests. It is the reflection of the common mind, of the culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    And what about chefs and other world renouned cuisine experts ? Are they the most superficial of all for not spouting their views on politics and literature in every public statement ? This is such a load of illogical baloney it isn't even worth the two minutes it took me to respond this time.
    Don't be ridiculous. They talk about their job if they are interviewed. It's normal. What I care about is what people do during their free time, what they discuss with their family and friends, what they watch on TV...
    Last edited by Maciamo; Dec 6, 2006 at 17:07. Reason: Automerged Doublepost