Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Are Japanese more hypocritical with foreigners ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstHousePooka
    Yeah its called the desert. Very remote area. Gurantee that most Australians have never ever set foot anywhere near there. But you're enlightened enough about Australia to also know that right?

And come on. Your Santa suit argument is weak anyway. What off Airconditioned chopping centres? Or the places where even a Summer day is a comfortable high 20's?
    So, are you saying that there are no people disguised in Santa Claus in rural areas or outside shopping centres ? Not sure, I wasn't there for Xmas.

For someone so enlightened about the world, arguing that Euro's know more than anyone else, you seem quite ignorant of the fact that a place as large as all of Europe (or larger) can have an enourmous range of temperatures across it on the same day.
    Anyway, does it matter much that the temperature is 33'C or 40'C for the Santa Claus argument ? I heard the Aussie Santa wear shorts and short-sleeves (just heard, pls confirm). I don't care whether Australians celebrate Xmas or not because I am not Christian and don't celebrate Xmas. I was just trying to explain that for a European Xmas is associated with cold weather, snow and short days (when people are depressed because it gets dark at 4 or 5pm and therefore need all the illuminations).

I don't understand why you get so irritated about it. But I also noticed while in Oz that Australians tend to get upset easily once we compare (even neutrally) their country with another one. I got people angry at me for saying such things as "oh the magpies are so big and scary here (Oz is really a different world)", "oh, people do respect the speed limit on the motorway here (but usually not in Europe)", or even "or trees are so tall here (that's nice)". Never understood why they felt it was negative criticism. It must be a national complex. A bit like the Japanese with their attitude to foreigners.
    Last edited by Maciamo; Feb 11, 2005 at 18:13.