Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: If a major quake hits Tokyo, will some Japanese murder foreigners in the confusion ?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Probably, and aiming at other East Asians

4 3.48%
  • Probably, and aiming at Westerners

0 0%
  • Probably, and aiming at Muslims

2 1.74%
  • Probably, and aiming at any foreigners

3 2.61%
  • Who knows ?

24 20.87%
  • Probably not

27 23.48%
  • Surely not

55 47.83%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Japanese massacre foreigners if a major earthquake hits Tokyo again ?

Comfortably Ignorant Faustianideals's Avatar
    That was in 1923. I think most people have enough common sense not to blame a natural disaster on a group of people.

puzzled gaijin
    I think it's pretty unlikely.

Hopefully, The US bases might help to some extent. Then again, they might just be safe havens if you can reach one and they let you in !

which led to the massacre of 6,000 Koreans by the Japanese police and citizens throughout the Kanto region.
    And another point to be considered.

Even if somebody tried to play a similar blame-game today I do not think that the Japanese of today could do something like back in 1923.

I am pretty that they won't murder other foreigners.

Unless they wanted to be kicked out of the G8, have the diplomatic book flung at them and probably be met with Military assaults from foreign nations I would think not.
    When it comes down to it the art and sport of Kendo is a question, "I'm going to hit you in the head with a stick, but can you hit me first?" - Me

LOL.. maybe. But the riot police in Japan have not been deployed too many times but when they have been they have been pretty brutal
    Last edited by Dutch Baka; May 19, 2006 at 15:43. Reason: picture

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CC1 View Post
    I voted "who knows"? It is definitely possible that people with hatred inside take advantage of a situation. That is true human nature. I would like to think that it wouldn't happen though! I will tell you one thing...if someone came after me with bad intentions they would be in for a world of hurt! Considering I would already be in a bad mood after the quake!
    Now, how will that be possible for a natual disasster? Did they just not give aid to the foreigner and died due to wounds and neglect which resulted from the earthquake? Japanese nationals nor anyone will take out their anger on those coming from another country unless thay are bombed or something. An earthquake is a natural disaster that is NOT the fault of another country. As such this question is really ludicrous.

If they did not do some riots, rapes and arsons first, it would not be occured

http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29294
    after WW2, they were called " Sangokujin"
    why were they called "sanhokujin"
    There are a lot of descriptions of the Korean whom Douglas MacArthur saw after ww2 in Japan.

and descriptions of the Korean whom Taiwanese saw after ww2 in Japan.

it should learn what they did in Japan of that confusion.
    The same thing happened after Great Kanto Earthquake.
    Their riots rape, arosen ended, A new rumor started. " they attack us again"And, the tragedy started.

After the big one stikes, if I'm still in one piece I'm going to head straight for the British embassy, or to the homes of some close Japanese friends. This is the best way to ensure that I remain in one piece. I'm not so worried about vigilante mobs (or the police) mowing people down as they did to Koreans and Chinese in 1923. I really don't think that could happen again- the world would know about it immediately, and of course Japan has moved on... But I think individual attacks on gaijin are possible.

I can picture the scene: my small hometown is still without water a week after the quake. A water truck arrives, the tired, emotional, exasperated locals queue up. I'm the only gaijin. Mumbling rises from the queue, dirty looks are cast my way, but nothing happens... until some young racist hot-head (possibly a yakky, or somebody who's been warped by the Gaijin Hanzai Ura File) decides he's had enough and picks on me. Others join in. I think the chances of a beating are quite high.

I pretty sure this is not paranoia on my part. With politicians like Ishihara and publications like Gaijin Hanzai Ura File on the loose, it seems plausible.

[With politicians like Ishihara and publications like Gaijin Hanzai Ura File on the loose, it seems plausible
    I think individual attacks on gaijin are possible.
    and Ishihara will do his best to recover the order and protect you .

I can picture the scene: my small hometown is still without water a week after the quake. A water truck arrives, the tired, emotional, exasperated locals queue up. I'm the only gaijin. Mumbling rises from the queue, dirty looks are cast my way,
    this is a movie of kanto quake.
    you should picture the scene well.
    mms://video2.sasayama.jp/video/mukashi/kanto01-lo.wmv
    mms://video2.sasayama.jp/video/mukashi/kanto02-lo.wmv
    mms://video2.sasayama.jp/video/mukashi/kanto04-lo.wmv

I pretty sure this is not paranoia on my part. With politicians like Ishihara and publications like Gaijin Hanzai Ura File on the loose, it seems plausible.
    To get over your paranoia, ohayogozaimasu to your neighbors would be your first step.
    And food and water for the first 3 days would also help, no matter how closely you live to the embassy.

If you have time, it is good to keep remembering what happened in the Kansai region or Niigata. I keep in mind that there are many kinds of Britons here.

foreign member of Inaka fire brigades are very welcome.
    Participating in it is also good.

Quote Originally Posted by caster51 View Post
    If they did not do some riots, rapes and arsons first, it would not be occured
    "The total death toll from these disturbances is uncertain; according to the investigation by the Home Ministry, confirmed victims of vigilante justice were 231 Koreans killed and 43 injured, 3 Chinese killed, 59 Japanese (including Okinawans) killed and 43 injured. Actual estimates range as high as 6,600, although politically independent studies put the figure at just over 2,500. Three hundred and sixty-two Japanese civilians were eventually charged (for murder, attempted murder, manslaughter and assault), though most got off with nominal sentences, and even those who were sent to jail were later released with a general pardon commemorating the marriage of Prince Hirohito. In contrast, the actual number of Koreans who were charged for crimes during this period were 2 for murder, 3 for arson, 6 for robbery and 3 for rape."
    From Wikipedia. 11 Koreans charged formally charged for wrongdoings, compared to 362 Japanese. The amount of help by the police was so significant in helping with the violence and covering up for the people who commit racist crimes.
    Surely, if there was an earthquake now, caster51 be the frontman in murdering foreigners, beliving they caused the earthquake. You would likely do what they did back in 1920s. Go around every house, and ask people to pronounce, 15‰~ 50‘K (jū-go-en, go-jū-sen) and ‚ª‚¬‚®‚°‚² (gagigugego). If they could not pronounce these correctly, they were taken out and beaten up or killed.

You think Japanese government during the WW2 was faultless, and the blame is to be placed on all non-Japanese.

Highlight below to reveal the atrocities of the Japanese government in human subject testing named "maruta" or treelog.
    Highlight below to reveal the most disgusting things you can read on the internet. Not recommended if you woudl rather stay out of the history debate and past warcrimes of the government.

Vivisection
    * Vivisections were performed on prisoners infected with various diseases. Scientists would perform invasive surgery on prisoners removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body.[6] The infected and vivisected prisoners included women, children and infants.[7]
    * Vivisections were also performed on pregnant women, sometimes impregnated by doctors, and the baby removed.[8]
    * Prisoners had limbs amputated in order to study blood loss.
    * Those limbs that were removed were sometimes reattached to opposite sides of the body.
    * Some prisoners' limbs were frozen and removed by saw.
    * Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus was reattached to the intestines.
    * Parts of the brain, lungs, liver, etc. were removed from some prisoners.
    * Prisoners of war were subjected to vivisection.[9]
    [edit] Weapons testing
    * Human targets were used to test grenades positioned at various distances and in different positions.
    * Flame throwers were tested on humans.
    * Human targets tied to stakes were used to test germ-releasing bombs, chemical weapons and explosive bombs.
    [edit] Germ warfare attacks
    * Unit 731 and its affiliated units (Unit 1644, Unit 100 etc.) went beyond the "testing" phase of biological weapons, and actively committed epidemic-creating germ warfare assaults against the Chinese people (both civilians and soldiers) throughout World War II. Plague-infested fleas, bred in the lab facilities of Unit 731 and Unit 1644, were spread by low-flying airplanes over Chinese populated locations, such as the coastal city of Ningbo in 1940, and the city of Changde, Hunan province in 1941. This military aerial spraying resulted in human epidemics of bubonic plague (the "Black Death") that killed thousands of Chinese civilians.[10]
    [edit] Other experiments
    * Some prisoners were deprived of food and water to determine the length of time before death.
    * Some prisoners were placed into high pressure chambers until they died.
    * Some prisoners were exposed to extreme temperatures and developed frostbite to determine how long humans can survive with such an affliction.
    * Some experiments were performed to determine the relationship between temperature, burns and human survival.
    * Some prisoners were placed into centrifuges and spun until death.
    * Animal blood was injected into some prisoners and the effects of this studied.
    * Some prisoners had lethal doses of x-ray radiation administered.
    * Gas chambers tested various chemical weapons on some prisoners.
    * Air bubbles were injected into some prisoners' bloodstreams to simulate a stroke.
    * Sea water was injected into some prisoners to determine if it could be substituted for saline.

All from Wikipedia.
    Last edited by junjunforever; Feb 9, 2007 at 14:27. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by pipokun View Post
    To get over your paranoia, ohayogozaimasu to your neighbors would be your first step.
    And food and water for the first 3 days would also help, no matter how closely you live to the embassy.
    If you have time, it is good to keep remembering what happened in the Kansai region or Niigata. I keep in mind that there are many kinds of Britons here.
    Good advice... actually I'm already friendly with my immediate neighbours (adjacent apartments) and have even dined with them in their apartments. And I have an earthquake kit both at home and in the office, and have attended earthquake awareness and training at a large Tokyo fire station.

I'm sure Ishihara would be very efficient at clearing up Tokyo after a quake. For all his faults, he's probably better than most Japanese officials at getting things done. It's just a shame that his silly remarks make so much of the population feel uneasy.

I'm pleasantly surprised that foreigners can join the Japanese fire service. A definite step in the right direction.

If the big one strikes I'm sure it will bring out the best in 99% of Japanese people. But I'm concerned that the Black Van brigade (uyoku) and those who sympathise with them will have a field day.

Actual estimates range as high as 6,600, although politically independent studies put the figure at just over 2,500.
    I dont think so because they like inflations as a propagands....
    If the big one strikes I'm sure it will bring out the best in 99% of Japanese people. But I'm concerned that the Black Van brigade (uyoku) and those who sympathise with them will have a field day

http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29211

asahi newspaper said
    " Do not be puzzled to the rumor any more. Order has already been maintained by military forces. Please do not fear Korean people any further though
    they did alot of bad things".
    roumores are "hundreds of korean attack again"
    According to many doccuments,
    1)Some Koreans did all subversive activities like arson, plunder, the homicide, and the rape, etc.
    2)military forces and the vigilance committee killed koreans because of opposition those korean acts .
    3)The rumor flitted though it put down a rioting mob, and it doubted Korean people who did not try to perpetrate a crime, too.
    it was sad..
    after ww2,many korean's evil same acts occured again in japan .
    Last edited by caster51; Feb 9, 2007 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by caster51 View Post
    I dont think so because they like inflations as a propagands....
    asahi newspaper said
    " Do not be puzzled to the rumor any more. Order has already been maintained by military forces. Please do not fear Korean people any further though
    they did alot of bad things".
    roumores are "hundreds of korean attack again"
    According to many doccuments,
    1)Some Koreans did all subversive activities like arson, plunder, the homicide, and the rape, etc.
    2)military forces and the vigilance committee killed koreans because of opposition those korean acts .
    3)The rumor flitted though it put down a rioting mob, and it doubted Korean people who did not try to perpetrate a crime, too.
    it was sad..
    after ww2,many korean's evil same acts occured again in japan .
    well, sir. You say Koreans were "rumored" to have done this and that, but an official record in Wikipedia that says specifically that only 12 Koreans were arrested for killing and arson.

The "official" number of massacred foreigners are around 350 by the Japanese government, and an independent research says over 2000 were massacred. Besides, Japanese people went around houses looking for foreigners and killed them. They didnt catch people comminting robbery. They SPECIFICALLY RAN AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD TO FIND ALL FOREIGNERS MASSACRED THEM. This was during the time some of your mothers were alive. Some people who took part in this massacre could very much be still alive as well, and many children who saw this happen took part in the massacre of Nanking.

Nazi Hitler = Japanese Imperial Government

So you keep asking why have many Koreans turn to yakuza? Back then, this was the only way to defend themselves against the racist japanese government and yakuza. Many korena were brought to japan under the japanese government order, and they could not go back. however, as the incident above shows, many Japanese would kill the koreans just because they were koreans. Their only choice was to stick together and defend themselves.

, but an official record in Wikipedia that says specifically that only 12 Koreans were arrested for killing and arson.
    it was enough for reasons . you dont know that situation of damage at that time .
    I cant believe korean did such things in dameges of Quake
    of course I am regarettable about that.
    Japanese people went around houses looking for foreigners and killed them.
    Yes ,a rumore was spread because of that(their atack again).
    that is,terror and fear
    Some people who took part in this massacre could very much be still alive as well
    it is not an evidence at that time.
    http://www.history.gr.jp/~nanking/LSCSmythe.pdf
    many Japanese would kill the koreans just because they were koreans. Their only choice was to stick together and defend themselves.
    just after WW2.....you can see "what did they do in japan ?"

BTW
    If the big earthquake happens in Japan, the Korean is pleased.
    Last edited by caster51; Feb 12, 2007 at 12:35.

Umm, you musn't be serious, I mean 1923 I doubt something like that will ever happen again in any part of the globe... I mean some japanese are racist but it is like everywhere else...

i voted "surely not". a lot has changed since 1923. humans are "smarter" persay. people, and not just in japan, were much more prejudice back then. We live in a much more accepting world. not to mention, if someone poisoned the water, we can test for that now without having to have someone drink it. we also know that people dont cause earthquakes, but moving plates under us.

and yes, actually, an earthquake will actually erupt in tokyo. scientists know it, just not when. lets just hope its not soon.
    Œô“c˜Ò–¢ Kingdom:2008”N1ŒŽ30“ú

"Surely not", unless someone/group of ppl keep poisoning the public with that idea.

earthquakes are often Japan's conspiracy

Please read this thread.
    Japan Forum > Japanese News & Hot Topics > Politics > Japan's Conspiracy (2)

I think that there will not be a massacre, but a mass immigration to Europe, USA, and Canada should a mass earthquake erupt and destroy Japan. I think people in Japan expect other European nations to accept them even when all that xenophobic attitudes persist because most westerners think Japanese people are respectful and good hard working people. So this is Japan: You want to come to Japan when you are in trouble, no way, go somewhere else. But, when they are in trouble, it goes like this: we are nice hardworking people, let us in as memebers of developed nations. "Sinshi no kokumin"

And the west will swallow this hypocrisy.

Seismic Geography

Quote Originally Posted by cherry_cherry View Post
    Please read this thread.
    Japan Forum > Japanese News & Hot Topics > Politics > Japan's Conspiracy (2)
    There are four techtonic plates shifting under Japan. Please learn some geophysics rather than dreaming up stuff from manga.

Rather than reading manga, you might try to read, FOOLED BY RANDOMNESS. It's a discussion of how people in history often tried to connect dots between events when there was no actual cause and effect relationship.

Back to the OP. It's a ridiculous assertion I can only laugh at . Must have been posted by someone under the age of 14.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast