I remember my dad enjoyed doing iR[h for weddings. Somehow he liked being a master of ceremony and I recall he came home late at night (I smelled sake as if a taker-full of sake exploded in my home) for those nights when he was doing wedding ceremonies for his colleagues and friends.

I myself had not been to Japanese weddings as I have been in the States since college (I have been back to Japan for about 12 years). So, I am not aware of what is expected from the guests and hosts. This thread taught me about Japanese wedding etiquette. I am not into weddings and I am sure I won't be thrilled to be invited to weddings (but, in Japan, its society values conformity and if you do something you are not expected to do or do not do something you are expected to do, you are being frowned upon).

I attended two weddings dinner parties (not the actual wedding in the church but the party thereafter on the same day) in New Jersey and both times, they hosted the party at the large restaurant/catering speciality establishment which can accommodate as many guests as the hosts wish (the wedding parties I went had more than 200 people each time). I am surprised to hear people in the states do the wedding at home because to do so you need a very large house and big yard.