Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What are your favourite periods in Japanese history ?

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jomon (prehistory)

13 10.92%
  • Yayoi (prehistory)

11 9.24%
  • Kofun & asuka (early kingdoms : 300-710)

14 11.76%
  • Nara & Heian (710-1185)

28 23.53%
  • Kamakura (first, Minamoto-Hojo shogunate : 1185-1333)

17 14.29%
  • Muromachi (Ashikaga shogunate 1333-1568)

17 14.29%
  • Azuchi-Momoyama (great leaders : 1568-1600)

27 22.69%
  • Edo (the closed country & Tokugawa shogunate : 1600-1867)

46 38.66%
  • Bakumatsu (late Edo)

24 20.17%
  • Meiji (the Westernization 1868-1912)

25 21.01%
  • Taisho (social upheavals : 1912-1926)

8 6.72%
  • Early Showa (militarism and WWII : 1926-1945)

14 11.76%
  • US Occupation (1945-1952)

10 8.40%
  • Late Showa (peace and economic miracle : 1952-1989)

11 9.24%
  • Heisei (economic decline and post-modern culture)

15 12.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What is your favourite period in Japanese history ?

I guess Late showa is the period of peace & proserity .

Quote Originally Posted by Duo View Post
    I like the Bakumatsu, ok i admit cuz of Ruruoni Kenshin, but c'mon, is a time of change and just over all interesting to see the change in mentality.
    Hi! My name is Igor, i am from Grocka (place 18km south from Belgrade capital of Serbia)
    I love everything about Japan and specialy i love Japanese HISTORY!!

Ruruoni Kenshin is great, that was my first Anima wich i see, untill i watch Samurai champloo.
    Btw. my favorite period is EDO (Musahi was be in this period am i right?).

And historical figure is Myamotto Musahi.

My least favorite would be the meiji, because of "westernization". No country should lose its traditions like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSharingan View Post
    My least favorite would be the meiji, because of "westernization". No country should lose its traditions like that.
    I am against this type of "westernization". In my country is this problem but nobody cares about that

Veni, vidi... vicodin? GodEmperorLeto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSharingan View Post
    What traditions, precisely? The tradition of peasant oppression and serfdom beneath a warrior-caste? Medieval medicine, no sanitation, and the vast bulk of the population living in 10th century squalor while a small number of elites have luxury?

Yeah, it is a shame that a lot was lost during the Meiji. But a lot of improvements were made at the same time. It is a case of the baby going out with the bathwater.
    Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Tradition

I think on tradition like: Tea ceremony, than making katanas (also this is art 4 me).....

Dokuganryū
    Really my favourite 'time-zone of Japanese' history is the late Muromachi to early Edo periods, so I chose Azuchi-Momoyama as that was basically the majority of what I consider to be the best part of Date Masamune's life. Minus the...death of his father...yeah

Baburo Jidai

Unfortunately, I wan't around for most of the periods indicated. But writing from experience, I'd say the Baburu Jidai (Bubble Era), when the price of the the Imperial Palace alone was worth more than the all of California, USA was a terrific period. Bank clerks in Japan were making as much as CPAs in the U.S. And there was really cool club music like Prince, etc. You should check out his movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0906564/usercomments

the Heian Period in Japan because the structure of society was so rigid and fascinating,

The Japan now.

I like the economic boom and the modern Japan. Sorry, I don't really want to say more about that because I'm a little bit tired (slept 5 hours last night and woke up at 6h00 AM, now it's 18h53 and I've done a lot of stuff today).
    神は、すべてを知りたいという欲望を満たす為に、人間によって創り出されました。

I like Heian, because of the cultural revolution and the role of women in the politics and court life..and I like the poetry and literature of the period (though I stil didn´ t read the Genji monogatari, I can´t get hold of it). Then the end of the shogunate and Meiji, because it was a critical point in Japan´s history (I like as well the Great French revolution).

I'm really gung-ho on the Heian period, and the paradigm shift to Kamakura (though for some reason everyone associates me with the sengoku). Fascinating stuff.

Tony

Kamakura period all the way.

At University, when we first studied this period I had to learn about Buddhist history and the Politics of the court (memorising names and dates..) and so I was banging my head off a brick wall.

However, then I read Heike Monogatari and my persepctive totally changed.

It was an exciting time with lots of development of Budo and Bushido and the emergence of the samurai classes. And the Buddhists...they were an exiting rebellious lot.

Then the Kabuki plays that were based on this, tee hee hee

For the blood-crazed warrior romantic, someone who secretly wants to marry Goemon from Lupin (seriously, if you know anyone like him, introduce me) the Kamakura period is the one for me

I cannot choose only one...:\

I choose Nara and Heian It's because of the literature though.

I don't know much about Japanese history but the Late Showa era appears like it was a good time to live in.

Showa Era

If you combine all the votes for the Showa era (why is it split up in the poll?), you'd count 34 votes, second only to the Edo era. Maybe it's because of its closeness (people tend to magify the importance of recent events) or maybe its my fondness for the Showa era bars under the tracks at Yurakucho, but I think the Showa era may be one of the most important periods in Japanese history.

And to provide a more personal take on this period, Kaoru Shoji (one of the very, very, few good writers for the Japan Times) has written an interesting aricle about this time.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0090909ks.html

During the many ups and downs of the Showa Era, the fifth decade (1975-1980) — or the '50s — was a relatively good time to grow up. In Tokyo, there were still such things as roji (路地, alleyways), where tiny houses crowded against each other, kids played marbles and adults grew flowers in small earthenware pots. No one bothered to lock their doors, and everyone looked out for each other. On the other hand, sanitary standards on the streets weren't always up to scratch — pipes overflowed after big rainstorms, huge splotches of vomit dotted pavements like avant-garde art installations, carcasses of dead rats and cats often greeted one on the walk to school, and stray dogs with skin disease lurked behind trash cans. Kimochiwarui, demo omoshiroi! (気持ち悪い、でもおもしろい, Yucky, but interesting!)
    Last edited by Dogen Z; Sep 17, 2009 at 18:19.

i love the era from when the sword "katana" was made until they brought guns =.= lol

I chose the Bakumatsu age of Japanese history (1800-1867). Not as it has been romantized for the last samurai or the anarchy brought about by the introduction of western culture but mostly out of a personal fascination with the traditions of Shitamachi -- the low-cityTokyo pleasure quarters around the Sumida River, non-samurai commoners, land of the elite artisans and merchants. Particularly interesting to me by late Edo times was the popular urban publishing culture. Actually the flourishing social milieu of a publishing culture. Literacy rates were so high for a preindustrial societies that publishing houses in the major cities flooded the country with all manner of printed ephemera from encyclopedias, playbooks guidebooks and sophisticated picture books to commercial advertising. The beginnings of a knowledge society. It meant that educational participation, individual intellect and skills were at least as highly regarded as methods of war.

And with the exile of Tokogawa and the painting over of the old districts, the wealthy merchant class who were pushed out to the highlands (Yamanote) unfortunately took their lively, flowery culture of ukiyo-e wood cuts, the kabuki, the geisha, storytelling, chapbooks, etc. and dispersed. From around 1870-1940 the area became disinvested and basically left to squalor until it was killed altogether by war (until the late Showa Dogen Z was referring to....)
    Last edited by Elizabeth; Sep 17, 2009 at 10:33.

I chose the Edo period:Tokugawa Ieyasu is one bad *** consolidator, and the "floating world" art works are really cool.

I think 'Sengoku' period is the greatest one
    The era when the first daimyo who had united japan lived
    Nobunaga Oda

Where can i get katana sword?
    Can i order the original katana from japan?
    Is there any sites who sell that kind of thing?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345