Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to learn Chinese

修行中
    If you're replying to the original poster, he's no longer with us. I seriously doubt he would have gotten anything out of that anyway.

There are some pretty good websites for learning Japanese -- three are in my signature. There are others, too, but I can't think of them offhand. If you do a search for "good Japanese websites" or something like that you should get some good results.

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Any questions you have about Japanese we'll do our best to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Inuyasha-the-kid
    I am sticking with Japanese because that is to hard.
    Japanese is harder than Chinese... and if you know Kanji, you know Chinese. Just send me mail if you want to learn! ((Chinese has like... a page of grammer. LITTERALLY))
    GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD!

Quote Originally Posted by Another Aoi Fan
    Japanese is harder than Chinese... and if you know Kanji, you know Chinese. Just send me mail if you want to learn! ((Chinese has like... a page of grammer. LITTERALLY))
    Hum...I still encounter weird forms sometimes... one of my teacher litterally told me of a "xong guo bu hen ta" (china isn't very big) and I am still wondering if the sentence is correct...
    One of the most adventurous things left for us is to go to bed. For no one can lay a hand on our dreams....

Hmm, I would say Chinese is a lot harder than Japanese for the learner in general. The thousands of non-phonetic characters plus idioms (chengyu) are already very burdensome.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    Hum...I still encounter weird forms sometimes... one of my teacher litterally told me of a "xong guo bu hen ta" (china isn't very big) and I am still wondering if the sentence is correct...
    Technically that sentence is not correct; it should either be "Zhongguo bu shi hen da" (中国不是很大) or "Zhongguo bu da" (中国不大). Probably just a mishearing on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by Supervin
    Technically that sentence is not correct; it should either be "Zhongguo bu shi hen da" (中国不是很大) or "Zhongguo bu da" (中国不大). Probably just a mishearing on your part.
    Well, maybe it's not school Mandarin, but it's OK in vernacular.

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    Well, maybe it's not school Mandarin, but it's OK in vernacular.
    I would seriously doubt it. It's just too awkward. Do you have any basis for saying that?

I've never heard of such a construction in my experience, whether Standard or in dialect.

I would seriously doubt it. It's just too awkward. Do you have any basis for saying that?
    Yep, basis being my girlfriend's mother, who is a teacher in Guangdong. I thought immediately (without that much of a basis, actually) the construction was correct, because I meant to have heard it before. My girlfriend opposed, so she asked her mother. She should know.

Interesting.

I just ran a search; it does seem acceptable after all - albeit being very rare in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    "xong guo bu hen ta"
    Wow, I thought Japanese "ro-maji" was annoying. That is such a strange spelling (Plus not a very accurate statement!... Maybe riben, but zhongguo?)
    これからも絶対頑張る〜

修行中
    Well, there are only about six different romanization systems for Mandarin.

Hmm, I would say Chinese is a lot harder than Japanese for the learner in general. The thousands of non-phonetic characters plus idioms (chengyu) are already very burdensome.
    Well...not a mishearing since she wrote it down on the blackboard... (but this one's from my french teacher, the other teacher won't be back before next week...)

I am a chinese, i know english and little japaese , At present ,I still have a few problems in english, but I am getting better. can we learn from each other? msn :[email protected]

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Another Aoi Fan View Post
    No, I don't think you will know chinese if you know kanji! some kanji are different from chinese's and kanji mostly consist traditional chinese words... it's quite different from simplified chinese words......
    ------
    At least I can be called as special, at worst, I am just weird!
    ------

香港からの学生
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Tse View Post
    No, I don't think you will know Chinese if you know kanji! some kanji are different from Chinese's and kanji mostly consist traditional Chinese words... it's quite different from simplified Chinese words......
    Agree, because Chinese character and kanji…
    1. they have same wording but different meanings- Chinese(japanses)
    勉強 to be forced to do something (勉強 to study)
    檢討 to review a incident (検討 to discuss)
    注意 to pay attention to sth or sbd ONLY (注意 warning or to pay attention to sth or sbd)
    喧嘩 speak loudy and disturb other people (喧嘩 to fight)
    2. some Chinese character have a similar structure to kanj
    戰鬥/(戦闘)
    3. some of them are the same wording but in revered sequence:
    in Chinese 士兵 和平
    in Japanese 兵士 平和
    4. some kanji are made by Japanese, Chinese do not have them originally, they cannot be found in a Chinese dictionary. (may be modified form Chinese characters)
    渋谷 -- 渋 (涉)???
    竜 (龍)
    戦闘 (戰鬥)
    5. many kanji is meaningless in Chinese: (if kanji is translate to Chinese...)
    お風呂に入る(洗澡) 切符(票) 赤ちゃん(嬰兒)
    卒業式(畢業典禮) 夜明け(黎明/日出) 飛行機 (飛機) 弁当(飯盒)
    6. Some kanji is imported from ancient Chinese, now they are not used in Chinese
    湯 in ancient Chinese meaning: hot water, now it become soup.
    湯 in japnese meaning: hot water
    I come from Hong Kong, just know a little Japanese and English. If there are any mistakes, please correct them.

Nevertheless, there are many Chinese character and Japanese kanji have same meaning and similar pronunciation. So that It help you to learn Japanese if you learnt Chinese (I prefer Traditional Chinese), and vice versa.

hello ,veryone ,I am a Chinese girl ,nice to meet everyone here ,this is my first time to leave the words here.

You SPAM/We BAN !
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniferlin View Post
    hello ,veryone ,I am a Chinese girl ,nice to meet everyone here ,this is my first time to leave the words here.
    Welcome to the JREF Forum Jenniferlin, what a beautiful user name you picked!

Uncle Frank

TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SUGAR !!
    I USED TO BE FUNNY, BUT MY WIFE HAD ME NEUTERED!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijinian View Post
    中國是VERY好!
    Ah, I just laughed at that, it's so cute~!

You want to learn Chinese? :x

Good luck. I hate Chinese.

Still, I want to take Japanese, Kanji, Katakana, all that neat stuffs, so I guess I better work hard in Chinese again~

I'm from Taiwan, not Mainland China so I'm not quite sure what China does. [Yes, I think Taiwan should be an independant country. Hands off.]

Quote Originally Posted by 梁铠赞 View Post
    我很笨 I like it but it hard(for me) T_T
    Very good~! At first I skimmed over it, and I read, "I am a vegetable." :x. Then I went, "Ah, sorry. "

My Chinese dictionary, is like...huge.
    [insert something here]

Inuyasha-the-kid~!!do you want to learn chinese,i can teaching you but you better to know chinese word and chinese pronounce frist,because i teaching to you usually all using chinese words.
    if you real want to learning chinese please mail to me.

and hope you in the future can speaking fluently chinese.^_^

Quote Originally Posted by nanda View Post
    they said there're 2 types of kanji: china's and taiwan's
    and taiwanese's kanji is more complicated than china's
    what should i learn? i mean, which kanji is commonly used by chinese, or japanese, or taiwanese, well .. by people
    the taiwanese kanji is the old/traditional one, it's like the same or more similar to japanese kanji. but i think if you learn just one type of the kanji the other one will be very,very easy to learn/memorize...
    so maybe you should learn the simplified one first (since it's easier) and then you can understand the traditional one without even learning it, but pretty much only understand not memorize...

Quote Originally Posted by Another Aoi Fan View Post
    really? why? is it because of the usage? because I thought the Chinese pronunciations is harder than the Japaneses ones

Smile Well

Personally I recommend you to get some friends who are a native Chinese speakers.
    But the most important thing lies in the fact that whether you inherently possess a deep attachment to the very culture of that language. It can give you an incessant flow of impetus to move on along the harsh process of learning it.

I am happy to help you learn Chinese.
    You can contact me with ICQ: 231599948

Learn Chinese, talk to local Chinese friends

Hi,
    If you wanna learn Chinese, forum helps, but adding more local Chinese people as friends online may also helps a lot. Search hellochina, it is a website mainly about language exchange, business and all stuff about China and the world.

I am Gabby from HelloChina.com. There are so many foreign language talents registered on our website. They can speak English, Japanese and Chinese, etc.
    Make friends and get what you need. The website has many new functions coming out. Now there are already 7000 members. Join us and have fun!
    Register as a member, then you can add people and talk freely.

may be i can help you . i want to learn English too.can contact me.
    我很乐意帮你。我也正想学英语。可以联系我。
    my MSN/Email is sxdx1089#163.com

I'm very interested in Chinese, but I won't start learning it until I can speak Japanese fluently enough... that would take a couple of years perhaps...
    If the world were merely seductive, that would be easy. If it were merely challenging, that would be no problem. But I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. --E.B. White

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast