Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: ”üH@"Delicious Food"

”üH@"Delicious Food"

On a package of Chinese takeout I have, it looks like the first character is ”ü, which in Japanese is akin to beauty, etc... The second one, I know is H.

Is this correct chinese for "delicious food" ?? My kanji study is enough recently to pick out familiar characters in Chinese and guess the meaning, but I'm not sure if I got the first character right.

Thanks.
    (flickr: pgh, japan & korea, santa cruz ) (blog: eyesonthewires) (j-rock)

Our greatest pretenses are built up not to hide the evil and the ugly in us, but our emptiness. The hardest thing to hide is something that is not there.
    -Eric Hoffer.

I'm no Chinese but I'd say your guess is pretty much right. u”ü–Ąv in Japanese means "delicious" so I think u”üHv is "tasty food"..

But then again, I had a conversation with a Chinese girl the other day, and she told me u•×‹­v means "reluctance" in Chinese!! While it means "study" in Japanese hahaha!!

I find it interesting how the Japanese and Chinese language resemble each other on some fronts, and differ totally on other fronts.

Quote Originally Posted by leonmarino View Post
    I'm no Chinese but I'd say your guess is pretty much right. u”ü–Ąv in Japanese means "delicious" so I think u”üHv is "tasty food"..
    Not that I'm an expert but I wonder why noone uses this phrase, other than "umai--- / maiu--- oshii~~~~!

Off topic--- but, you know--- (as in the thread title above), Chinese characters should NEVER be in bold--- (the way the forum makes thread titles bold), they're completely unreadable!

Quote Originally Posted by yukio_michael View Post
    ”üH...
    Is this correct chinese for "delicious food" ??
    Yep. ”üH is actually short for ”ü–ĄH•¨ (or ”ü–Ą‚ľ‚˘H‚ו¨ in Japanese). You would see it in food related text, like in restaurants or food adverts. In Japanese, the ”üH contraction is used as well.

Quote Originally Posted by leonmarino View Post
    u•×‹­v means "reluctance" in Chinese!! While it means "study" in Japanese hahaha!!
    It's true, hahah. •×‹­ in Chinese means 'forcing yourself or someone to do something' (i.e. oblige/compel) and also reluctance, which ironically in Japanese means 'to study'.

Quote Originally Posted by yukio_michael View Post
    bold--- ... they're completely unreadable!
    Yeah, it does take getting used to, since each character is squashed and deformed into one arbitrary square already making it difficult to read text when small, let alone in bold of that size.

So "beautuful taste" means "tasty/delicious" ? Funny. If hey use 美食 for "delicious food", then how would they descrive beautifully presented food, for which Japan is famous ?

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

beautifully presented food
    ˆşŕŁ
    ‹‰ŘˆşŕŁ‚Č—ż—
    Šď—í‚Č—ż—...........

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    So "beautuful taste" means "tasty/delicious" ? Funny. If hey use ”üH for "delicious food", then how would they descrive beautifully presented food, for which Japan is famous ?
    i think it is ¸”ü“IH•i
    ¸”ü means elegant and delicate.
    ¸”ü“IH•i means some snacks which is packed or presented very delicately.
    But this can only use in snacks or dessert or food with small size, it cannot use to describe dishes.
    By the way, about ”üH, there is a usually used phrase ”üH“V“° (Gourmet Paradise)
    ”üH“V“° is used to describe a place with lots of delicious food. So it is Gourmet Paradise.
    Note that “V“° means Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by fin1990 View Post
    ”üH“V“° is used to describe a place with lots of delicious food. So it is Gourmet Paradise.
    That'll be my final destination.. How much is a one-way ticket?

美食天堂..sounds like a restaraunt...BTW.Sichuan is famous for its food

Quote Originally Posted by huayue View Post
    ”üH“V“°..sounds like a restaraunt...BTW.Sichuan is famous for its food
    I learnt this phrase from Hong Kong Tourism Board. Its advertisements always say Hong Kong is ”üH“V“°....=_=........also other advertisements which promoting other countries used this phrase too. I remember the advertisement from Malaysia.......=_=......

true

Quote Originally Posted by Supervin View Post
    hahah. •×‹­ in Chinese means 'forcing yourself or someone to do something' (i.e. oblige/compel) and also reluctance, which ironically in Japanese means 'to study'.
    •× in Chinese has some meaning of 'study', it is ancient use but still use today. such as ŽŠ•×/•×—ă.