Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Japanese morals

puzzled gaijin
    Luckily, in Japan, you often can get things back when they are lost, so this shame culture is good for something. Then again, when people stay at home for years because they are 'ill', I worry a bit when they decide to 'emerge'!

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinalways
    Luckily, in Japan, you often can get things back when they are lost, so this shame culture is good for something. Then again, when people stay at home for years because they are 'ill', I worry a bit when they decide to 'emerge'!

Sorry, newbie here...but can you explain this or provide a link?

Also, with consideration to the OP, I think it would be very useful and interesting to say the least to hear from someone from Japan on this topic who can uphold the idea of Japanese morals in the OP. So far, most if not all the posts have been from us westerners with our observations based on our experiences. I would love to hear from someone who sees no problem with the the notion that the winner is always right and cheating is ok as long as no one finds out.

I love this stuff!

That's just it. When two people are arguing from completely different value systems often consensus is impossible.

Also I appreciate that everyone here accepts we are dealing in stereotypes and generalizations of Japanese (and Western) culture.

I don't think I like that way of thinking. If something isn't wrong until you are caught doing it what is to stop someone from killing someone else or raping someone? If they think they will never get caught there is no reason not to do it because in their mind its ok to do it if they don't get caught.

Where in our society we know that doing something like that would be wrong thus most people wouldn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClayMan88 View Post
    I don't think I like that way of thinking. If something isn't wrong until you are caught doing it what is to stop someone from killing someone else or raping someone? If they think they will never get caught there is no reason not to do it because in their mind its ok to do it if they don't get caught.

Where in our society we know that doing something like that would be wrong thus most people wouldn't do it.
    Yeah, well that only applies to the secular side, murder, even of animals, has been strictly prohibited by Buddhist tradition. Also, there are humanist values, such as care for others, that make Japanese people generally repulsed by a cruelty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12