Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Education system : Japan vs other countries

Wookies ftw
    wow,I thought our school system was bad.

I went kindergarden-12th grade in the united states,the southeast of the united states to be exact, and it sounds like yall have it easy. Elementary school started at 8am and went to 1am for k-3rd,8am-3pm for 4th-6th. Junior high started at 7:30am and lasted to 3:15 for grades 7-8th.Highschool start at 7:15am and lasted to 2:15pm. If you failed any subject(less than 70% mastery) you failed the whole grade and could go to summer school or repeat that grade next year. We had advanced classes starting in 7th grade for those students that had the grades for it.

In highschool,you could pick if you wanted a university path(all advanced classes,junior and senior years[11-12] you could take college classes in highschool),a technical path(autoshop,more art and computing based classes)or a dual path. Now, my parents picked my classes for me(yay) and had me in all honors and AP(standard=regular difficulty classes,honors=hard classes,AP=advanced placement,or college classes). School has never been hard for me,but I was bored out of my mind in all my classes,and then I had to go in a standard class to give a teacher a note...I found out all standard teachers did was pass out worksheets,and some kids still failed!!

we normally didnt have enough textbooks for everyone,and there is a set curriculum but most teachers taught what they thought was relevant,the few who went "by the book" normally had the lowest passing rates,because lets face it, you cant cram 1200 pages into a kid every 3 weeks and expect them to do too well on a test.oh,each school decided on what textbooks they would use.

You could choose what maths/sciences/foreign languages/histories you wanted,but you had to take a certain amount of each and you had to take algebraI & II,geometry,US history,biology,IPS,english 1-4,keyboarding(like people dont get enough practice >_<) and you had to have 2 years of PE.

sorry about length of post,didnt expect to write this much,but after reading what you all said,I'm kinda glad I went to school where I did.

Aha, of course some people fail in Japan, especially the occasional university entrance exams.

I think with Japanese education, you know so much that you do not even have to continue education after grade 9, but we still do.
    And you have hammered in brain that you want to do this career in future, though gakusei change their mind every second. (this is not always the case)

England splits up classes into academic ability, but in Japan, you can have the clever, the medium and the very dumb/lazy in one class. Also there are homework, and exams, but not to an excessive degree.

Education is education. As long as you get a job afterwards and not become a hikikomori, who cares XDD
    It is busy in last year of senior school. Sorry, may not be around.

Quote Originally Posted by RockLee View Post
    What's education these days.. ??
    Every country teaches something else, different standards
    different subjects,different....even in 1 country they have like uncountable
    differences...what is best??what is the thing that gets you the most?
    It's getting out of hand
    or how about someone that spends 50-70K in schooling and can't get a job because the baby boomers have not retired. So, this person around my age is working in a call center or starbucks waiting for the baby boomers to retire. But, it won't happen until they are 70 because 9/11 destroyed their retirement.

This is America.

Quote Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
    or how about someone that spends 50-70K in schooling and can't get a job because the baby boomers have not retired. So, this person around my age is working in a call center or starbucks waiting for the baby boomers to retire. But, it won't happen until they are 70 because 9/11 destroyed their retirement.
    This is America.
    Trust me, don't worry. Companies will soon be crying for educated employees.

Mauricio

If people like ron paul do what they say, this will be the case. At least this is what i believe. We don't need another Reagan, nor bush, nor bill clinton. We need a George Washington. We need to stop spending so much f'in money in this country. Or is this world turning into a solid snake scenario. Where war is what runs countries economy?

Anything minor happens in our country, our $ and stock market goes down like a cut piece of paper.

So I guess you're an expert on world monetary policies then? What do you think got the US out of the Great Depression of the 1930s? Spending on the World War II effort, in large part. If George Washington were president today, he'd probably stray away from Martha, have an affair, and get the White House burned down.

it's used as an example. As a motivation as you will. I guess i need to use more discretion in my posts. George Washington IS a founding father after all

Education

Education system in all over the world is same but the method is changed. In every country have their Owen syllabus which teacher tough them. Are you agreeing with me?

Hi,
    I have to travel to Japan. Was planning to take my kid also along and then later on put him to a japanese school. Currently he is only 2.5 years old.
    But after going through all the comments, I think its better for him to stay in India only and study

Another waste of time thread. How could anyone believe the half truths of someone b/c they "think" this is how the Japanese school system works. There are just too many things to comment on so I won't bother. I guess the old saying really does ring true here again, "A little knowledge is dangerous!".

Does anyone else realize that this thread was actually a year old until A21-Muhajid Toor revived it? Don't expect answers from last year's posters.

..but the thread is there.....for all to see and comment.
    Anyway, I guess I made a mistake through my earlier comment

Quote Originally Posted by Chirpy9 View Post
    ..but the thread is there.....for all to see and comment.
    Anyway, I guess I made a mistake through my earlier comment
    And rightly so, if it is there for people to read the truth should be told. Good post Chripy.

Banned
    Japan has: a stressful education system.
    Japan has: a bad English education system.
    A weird combination.

Quote Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
    A weird combination.
    What percentage of people in English speaking countries have learnt another language at school and become good enough to get by in most everyday situations? Now compare that to Japan and people who can do the same in english. There was one second language class in my final year at school which had 20 students in it out of 400 students in my grade. Where as at least Japan makes English compulsory across the board, so even though the methods may not be ideal they are still way a head of English speaking countries when it comes to learning a second language at school.

Banned
    Well the reason for this is that English is the international language.
    Though I do wish foreign language were more available in my country anyway.

For English being a major course taught in Japan, it's not taught well enough.

Veni, vidi... vicodin? GodEmperorLeto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    Where as at least Japan makes English compulsory across the board, so even though the methods may not be ideal they are still way a head of English speaking countries when it comes to learning a second language at school.
    Here is where personal experiences come into play. I took Japanese for two years in college and learned it thoroughly enough to survive basic conversation. Two years of French in high school and I can read French almost fluently, even though I can't speak it anymore.

English education is compulsory, but not always beneficial to the learner. Part of the reason I retained these languages so well is because I am interested in it. Compulsory English education benefits me (a paycheck) much more than I believe it benefits my students.

Besides, the modern education system is created to churn out drones, not to truly make people learn. At this it succeeds very well, regardless of what country you are in.
    Ὦ ƒÌƒÃῖƒË', ἀƒÁƒÁέƒÉƒÉƒÃƒÇƒË ƒ©ƒ¿ƒÈƒÃƒÂƒ¿ƒÇƒÊƒÍƒËίƒÍƒÇς ὅƒÑƒÇ ƒÑῇƒÂƒÃ
    ƒÈƒÃίƒÊƒÃƒÆƒ¿, ƒÑƒÍῖς ƒÈƒÃίƒËƒÖƒË ῥήƒÊƒ¿ƒÐƒÇ ƒÎƒÃƒÇƒÆόƒÊƒÃƒËƒÍƒÇ.

Education system : Japan vs other countries

Hi
    Thanks for your information and it is really rocking......

Interesting topic and i like the replies here. I'm actually interested in studying in Japan. Thanks for sharing your stories.
    Regards,
    Raine

English - Personal ***** DougLewis's Avatar
    I have always liked to think that general knowledge is education. General knowledge is useful for the student, perhaps not for future employers or even the politico.

I feel sometimes that the purpose of education has now become just a feeder system for work place and commercial interest components.

If I am correct, then that is a sad turn of events in terms of individual enjoyment of and for the learning experience.

Hopefully I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
    A weird combination.
    Perhaps the problem is about setting the wrong goals for learning a second language. If vocabulary is a measure... i.e. the volume of words learned is a measure of success, then that could be a factor.

The average native speaking person uses only about 400 words or so a day to get by. English as an example has a vocabulary of around one million words, trying to achieve that knowledge is fruitless endevour. It is probably a better strategy to focus on the common everyday words and becoming extremely fluent with those. Later, specialized words can be added to complement a specific field of endevour.

Just a thought.

puzzled gaijin
    frustrateddave said
    A little knowledge is dangerous.
    A little knowledge can be dangerous, and it can also save your life sometimes.

frustrateddave said
    What percentage of people in English speaking countries have learnt another language at school and become good enough to get by in most everyday situations? Now compare that to Japan and people who can do the same in english. There was one second language class in my final year at school which had 20 students in it out of 400 students in my grade. Where as at least Japan makes English compulsory across the board, so even though the methods may not be ideal they are still way a head of English speaking countries when it comes to learning a second language at school.
    It would depend on the school. As Godemperorleto said, some people do actually learn foreign languages and are able to use them. Unfortunately in Japan, the percentage is small and some of it has to do with the methods used to teach the languages and the way the users of those languages (foreginers) are portrayed in Japan.

Unfortunately in Japan, the percentage is small and some of it has to do with the methods used to teach the languages and the way the users of those languages (foreigners) are portrayed in Japan.
    I wonder if someone would care to expand upon this observation?

Generalizations are made everywhere I know, still, I am very interested in learning how foreigners are regarded in Japan. Of course there are varieties of "foreigners" so I am wondering if distinctions are made.

Often in other countries "foreigners" tend to be categorized by leading perceived traits (Usually based on fallacy).

For instance, a generalization about Japanese people in some countries use words such as "Inscrutable", "Unemotional", "Honorable". I know these are stereotypical, but are they warranted? If so - Why?

If not - Why?

Is this phenomena an impact on educational quality in Japan?

(As intimated by the previous poster)
    Last edited by DougLewis; Oct 13, 2009 at 04:02. Reason: Clarify intent of question.

Quote Originally Posted by DougLewis View Post
    I wonder if someone would care to expand upon this observation?
    Generalizations are made everywhere I know, still, I am very interested in learning how foreigners are regarded in Japan. Of course there are varieties of "foreigners" so I am wondering if distinctions are made.
    Often in other countries "foreigners" tend to be categorized by leading perceived traits (Usually based on fallacy).
    For instance, a generalization about Japanese people in some countries use words such as "Inscrutable", "Unemotional", "Honorable". I know these are stereotypical, but are they warranted? If so - Why?
    If not - Why?
    I recommend you create a new thread for your question, because what you're asking is such a large departure from the actual topic.

Sorry if I am in the wrong topic.

My reply was to a quote within a reply in this thread?

Even so your suggestion is noted and appreciated. It helps me to understand the logic of the forum topic flow. My intent was to see if stereo typing has impacts upon either the approaches or successes of the educational system by way of bias.

Thank you.

D.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123