PDA

View Full Version : Weird funny English

Maciamo
Oct 29, 2002, 23:30
I've found this on the newly redesigned ELT News site :Weird funny English from around the world (http://www.eltnews.com/features/fun/002_1.shtml)

Don't miss a single line of it. I was about to die when I read that. :D :D It's even much better than engrish.com, without the pictures.

johnny
Oct 30, 2002, 02:15
Hey, this really made me laugh out loud (something that doesn't happen all that often. ;))

The best quotes are those who make sense if taken literally, but really mean something else in practice.

There is a word for phrases like that... and english has lots of them. Does anyone know which word it is?

There really should be a dictionary with such phrases. The only way to pick them up for a non-native speaker is through movies. I still come across new such phrases (even after having seen hundreds of english movies).

thomas
Oct 30, 2002, 04:10
Excellent! :cool:

Hotel, Japan:
YOU ARE INVITED TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE CHAMBERMAID.

deborah gormley
Oct 30, 2002, 07:00
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Doctor's office, Rome:specalist in women and other diseases this is excellent stuff Maciamo, great link! :note:

Luxpyre
Oct 30, 2002, 07:23
I've stumbled onto that one before. I almost cried I was laughing so much the first time. My roomates thought it was hilarious too.

Tragedy
Oct 30, 2002, 21:33
My favorites:

Car rental brochure, Tokyo:
WHEN PASSENGER OF FOOT HEAVE IN SIGHT, TOOTLE THE HORN. TRUMPET HIM MELODIOUSLY AT FIRST, BUT IF HE STILL OBSTACLES YOUR PASSAGE THEN TOOTLE HIM WITH VIGOUR.

Tokyo hotel's rules and regulations:
GUESTS ARE REQUESTED NOT TO SMOKE OR DO OTHER DISGUSTING BEHAVIOURS IN BED.

In a Bangkok temple:
IT IS FORBIDDEN TO ENTER A WOMAN EVEN A FOREIGNER IF DRESSED AS A MAN.

:D :D :happy: :clap:

moyashi
Oct 31, 2002, 01:30
I've seen some of these in other places. They definitely are pretty funny.

hmmm, why is that the Japanese ones are always just completely whacked? :(

Inuyasha-the-kid
Jun 24, 2005, 06:51
This is funny.

Kara_Nari
Jul 2, 2005, 13:29
Get out of my way or I will vigorously 'TOOTLE' you!

Tsuyoiko
Jul 8, 2005, 00:27
:D :D :D :worried: I had an accident!

XxSirenxX
Jul 18, 2005, 10:04
:lol:

kinda reminds me of funnymuffin.com

Rich303
Jul 26, 2005, 21:00
:p These are really funny. I was laughing out loud - thank you