PDA

View Full Version : What programmes do you like on Japanese TV ?

Maciamo
Apr 25, 2004, 19:51
"Japanese TV is regarded as no more than charmingly ridiculous", as Giles Murray, author of the Kodansha bilingual book "All you wanted to know about the UK", puts it - and I concur completely with him.

One of the best and most annoying thing at the same time on Japanese TV are the commercials. They are quite nice or funny, which makes you want to watch them more than the programmes themselves, but they are so frequent (every 2 to 5min) that it becomes irritating once you are watching something more or less interesting.

I'd like, however, to know what those of you who have watched Japanese TV think of it, so as to divide the good from the less good.

Please vote for all the kinds of program(me)s you like on Japanese TV.

Ewok85
Apr 25, 2004, 21:22
Comedy shows, which are known as variety. I LOVE the show with the guys who dress like 80's punks with the big hair and the long black clothing and ride the bikes doing some kind of counting game. Loser fights a sumo! hehe

RockLee
Apr 26, 2004, 01:53
I'm living in Belgium....If there would be only 1 freakin Japanese channel on my tv it would be a MIRACLE :p

Keiichi
Apr 26, 2004, 16:11
If anyone knows, is there some kind of comedy show with skit that runs every Friday night Japanese TV with the word 'golden' in it?

mad pierrot
Apr 26, 2004, 20:50
But I find myself always watching Sumo. Aside from Sumo, the only other thing I regularly watch are k-1 fights and the news. I used to watch "Young Superman" but they cancelled it.

:(

Japanese variety shows drive me nuts.

:D

Ewok85
Jun 12, 2004, 20:48
Tuesday/Wednesday nights about 11:30 on Channel 8/10 (in tokyo).
Funny stuff :D

fut0n
Jun 12, 2004, 21:50
At home dad :bravo:

Buddha Smoker
Jun 12, 2004, 22:22
Comedy shows, which are known as variety. I LOVE the show with the guys who dress like 80's punks with the big hair and the long black clothing and ride the bikes doing some kind of counting game. Loser fights a sumo! hehe

It's called Mecha Mecha Ike and has one of my favorite Japanese actors Okamura from 99. That show is on Saturday Nights at 8pm on Fuji TV (usually channel 8). It's a counting game....I can explain it but I'm lazy. I love when the sumo come out. Funny stuff.

Another of my favorite shows in ONE NIGHT ROCK N ROLL on Wednesdays at 10pm on Fuji TV. Lots of good stuff..this is my favorite show in Japan.

Somebody should just merge my original posts from the TV/Show thread about this and Japanese TV.

Does anybody else watch those?

chiquiliquis
Jun 13, 2004, 00:16
I like everything with Bob Sapp... isn't it great how Bob Sapp is in everything!?
:souka:

Ewok85
Jun 13, 2004, 00:34
Have I mentioned Sasuke? I think thats what its called... its this 'obstacle course' type contest show with 4 or 5 levels. Basically theres 100 big buff vert fit guys who go through the course, first level is timed. Run out of time or falloff and your out. Only about 15 make it to level 2. http://www.tbs.co.jp/g-muscle/corner/sasuke/index-j.htm (found something about it! :cool:)

Also Uchimura Purodusu (Produced)... omg that show... just leaves me in hysterics. Anything to do with o-furo is worth watching on that show :D

Back to my educational documentary on strippers :blush:

Buddha Smoker
Jun 13, 2004, 07:33
I like everything with Bob Sapp... isn't it great how Bob Sapp is in everything!?
:souka:

I don't know how that fool got to be so famous in the Japan. I met him in person a couple times. Nothing special in my opinion and he was just like an average guy with some rudeness.

curveegrrl
Jun 13, 2004, 18:59
I love the varieties too. My favourite is SmapxSmap (which I know I might catch some flak for). It never fails to crack me up.

Ewok85
Jun 13, 2004, 19:04
Nah SmapxSmap is ok, but i prefer SmapBistro more. Man Shingo is one crazy guy :D

chiquiliquis
Jun 13, 2004, 20:24
I don't know how that fool got to be so famous in the Japan. I met him in person a couple times. Nothing special in my opinion and he was just like an average guy with some rudeness.

He is a really big guy... that seems to be a rarity here... aside from that, I am equally dumbfounded!?!  :souka: :? :okashii:

Buddha Smoker
Jun 13, 2004, 20:46
He is a really big guy... that seems to be a rarity here... aside from that, I am equally dumbfounded!?!  :souka: :? :okashii:

Still he annoys the hell out of me. :D

DoctorP
Jun 14, 2004, 00:29
I enjoy watching the show on Sunday nights talking about all of the animals. Pretty good information. It is an hour long and shows all types of animals, and then quizzes the panel as to what is about to happen or what the animal will do next. My kids and I watch "One Piece" at 7:30, and then that show from 8 to 9. The only other things that I watch is K-1, Sumo, or Soccer.

Buddha, one reason Sapp became so big here, is his freakin' size! :-)

I mean even in the K-1 ring he usually dwarfs the other fighters, just too bad that he is so slow! I have to admit that I bought into the whole Sapp vs. Akebono fight scene! :p I don't have anything against the guy, but he does get a little annoying.

Zicler
Jun 14, 2004, 04:50
The only show that i watch is Japonese animation, like Naruto or Full Metal alchemist. Because i m portuguese, i dont have any japonese tv channel . :(

But I m a big fan of any Japonese Movie like Seven Samurai from the great master Akira Kurosawa.

p.s. It's my first post here. :) and i apolagize for my english. Arigato ! =D

Gaki
Jun 14, 2004, 05:49
No Japanese TV in London, unless you're rich and can afford the satellite subscription.
When i'm in HK i watch Japanese dramas, variety shows, or anime.

Buddha Smoker
Jun 14, 2004, 06:58
Buddha, one reason Sapp became so big here, is his freakin' size! :-)

I mean even in the K-1 ring he usually dwarfs the other fighters, just too bad that he is so slow! I have to admit that I bought into the whole Sapp vs. Akebono fight scene! :p I don't have anything against the guy, but he does get a little annoying.

Yeah, I knew that but I figured his popularity would die down by now.

kirei_na_me
Jun 14, 2004, 07:20
I like watching the news for a different perspective. I like watching shows like NHK Special and Project X. I sometimes like watching TV Champion, and I like watching that show with Tsurube in it. That's about as far as it goes with me. Kids' shows like Inai Inai Baa and Okaasan to Issho are good if you want to learn a little Japanese.

Buddha Smoker
Jun 14, 2004, 08:20
I like watching the news for a different perspective. I like watching shows like NHK Special and Project X. I sometimes like watching TV Champion, and I like watching that show with Tsurube in it. That's about as far as it goes with me. Kids' shows like Inai Inai Baa and Okaasan to Issho are good if you want to learn a little Japanese.

TV Champion has some awesome programs sometimes...really depends on the competition. I saw the chocolate design ones and it rocked.

Exidez
Jun 14, 2004, 12:10

i love that show too
its really hard though!
i mean the terminator.... everyone would make a mistake on that one

Buddha Smoker
Jun 14, 2004, 21:31
I guess not too many people have heard about the shows I watch? Any comments? :?

budd
Jun 14, 2004, 22:53
"Still he annoys"
now there's a surprise [sarcasm]
baby adolf (i've read that hate-based tripe he calls a journal -- well, to be honest, couldn't get past the first page -- had to turn off the computer and go lie down to chill out) doesn't like a person of color being famous in japan...
maybe bob should wear nothing but a pair of overalls and pull a plow for viewers like him to get on board :(
i don't care for k1 either way, but i would like for more minorities in general to be able to represent on TV in ANY fashion!
there's a whole big wide world out there, full of people of MANY races.
the economy won't get better until we learn to treat each other better

Ewok85
Jun 15, 2004, 02:08
Eh? You can't deny how annoying bob sapp is, and he's a professional fighter. At first I thought it was cute but then... you seen the pizza-la adverts?

Golgo_13
Jun 15, 2004, 05:01
I like watching the news for a different perspective. I like watching shows like NHK Special and Project X. I sometimes like watching TV Champion, . . .

In addition to the above, I regularly watch "Uchuusen Chikyuugo" (Spaceship "Earth"), Tuesday Night at the Mysteries, and currently the dramas "Kasouken no Onna" (The Woman of the Forensics Lab) and "Rikon Bengoshi" (Divorce Lawyer). "Hagure Keiji -- Junjou-Ha" (The compassionate Detective) is a favorite. It's in hiatus now but may not be returning since the lead role is played by the aging actor Makoto Fujita.

"Shitteru Tsumori?" (Do you really know it?) was a great documentary show that ran in the late '90s

I used to love "Shinkon-san Irasshai" (Welcome Newlyweds!) which ran for close to 20 years from the 1970s to '90s.

All the above shows are available on video tape at any Japanese video store in LA.

curveegrrl
Jun 15, 2004, 06:18
Nah SmapxSmap is ok, but i prefer SmapBistro more. Man Shingo is one crazy guy :D

Wait. . .aren't SmapxSmap and BistroSmap the same show :? ?? And yeah, shingo is fabulous!

Riven
Jun 15, 2004, 15:06
As everyone can guess, no Japanese TV channel on France (kanashimi :( ). But first time I saw some Japanese Tv program it is was in a French program and they talked about Japanese obstacle course program. I was very surprised that Japanese can make that funny and ridiculous programs... and then I saw Lost in Translation, with this henna/crazy comedian ... I couldn't believe it ... who said French programs are ridiculous.

Is there "reality shows" in Japan ? Like Big Brother I mean ?

Buddha Smoker
Jun 15, 2004, 19:08
Eh? You can't deny how annoying bob sapp is, and he's a professional fighter. At first I thought it was cute but then... you seen the pizza-la adverts?

Or the Diga commercials? Ahhhhh...I hate them just as well.

Ewok85
Jun 15, 2004, 19:32
Bwahaha you couldn't pay me enough to get dressed up like that and go on television.

Oh! How about the binbo battle show! I forget the name now... buts its very very funny :D

Golgo_13
Jun 16, 2004, 03:33
As everyone can guess, no Japanese TV channel on France (kanashimi :( ). But first time I saw some Japanese Tv program it is was in a French program and they talked about Japanese obstacle course program.

That must have been "Sasuke".

Is there "reality shows" in Japan ? Like Big Brother I mean ?

I only watch the free network TV programs and there are no such shows that I know of. There may be all kinds of weird shows on cable or satellite TV.

Riven
Jun 16, 2004, 04:14
I only watch the free network TV programs and there are no such shows that I know of. There may be all kinds of weird shows on cable or satellite TV.
I see. I am surprised there isn't any "Reality show" in Japan. Here in France it got popular, on free network TV. I will try to ask Japanese living in France what they think about it.

Buddha Smoker
Jun 16, 2004, 06:52
I think I've seen a Japanese Survivor type show while back but I don't think it lasted very long...those type of shows don't seem popular over here at least..yet.

cricket
Jul 1, 2004, 23:39
Been watching the afternoon show"waratte ii tomo" and News station (channel 10) now called Hodo Station for as long as I can remember.(**)

Sanma makes me laugh so I watch most of his shows like his midnight talk variety.

Speaking of Bob Sapp,his very much publicised fight of the century with Akebono was a disappointment, he was far too strong for the former sumo grand champion..

DoctorP
Jul 14, 2004, 17:20
Recently my kids have gotten me to start watching Waterboys with them on Tuesday nights. That is a funny show...even with my limited Japanese listening skills! :D

Golgo_13
Jul 15, 2004, 03:22
Recently my kids have gotten me to start watching Waterboys with them on Tuesday nights. That is a funny show...even with my limited Japanese listening skills! :D

It's great to watch "Water Boys" right after watching "Fire Boys". :D

"Fire Boys" is a drama about firefighters. I schidt you not!

den4
Jul 15, 2004, 04:15
Shitteiru Tsumori was great...too bad it's no longer going....
I like Sekai Fushigi Hakken
Used to watch 20th Century Odoroki mononoki (or something like that title)
Also liked Ururun taizaiki (sp?)

anime I liked: City Hunter, Nippon Mukashi Banashi and a bunch of others...including Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro, and the olde tv anime Sasuke

watch currently the Samurai Saturday stuff on the IFC channel, along with the current doramas shown on the international channel, including popjapan tv and hey hey hey....

the weirdest tv show I have ever seen on J-tv was a show called Ugo Ugo Ruuga....that show could cause serious brain damage as it was a kid's show....pretty twisted show...no wonder the kids are so messed up these days in Japan... :D

Golgo_13
Jul 15, 2004, 04:37
:D

Then you would like "Project X".

den4
Jul 15, 2004, 04:55
I heard it was good....never seen it yet, though....
too bloody lazy to go down to the local Japanese video store, I guess.....I dunno....still haven't finished watching the last 3 eps of Fireboys yet, so....getting behind....

sky888
Jul 16, 2004, 01:53
dont miss those humerous and enjoyable commerical! I tape an 2 hours worth of commerical and bring home to enjoy

Golgo_13
Jul 16, 2004, 04:45

I also liked the ending theme song for it. "We'll be Together" by Yoko Oginome. I bought the CD single.

I also liked "Shinkon-san Irasshai" (Welcome Newlyweds) that used to be on during the '70s and '80s :cool:

budd
Aug 18, 2004, 07:13
オー!マイキー
Quote message in reply?

DragonChan
Aug 18, 2004, 12:41
Hmm...

I only watched a bit of TV the last time I was in Japan. The anime was good, then there was this weird show teaching children how to make a homemade camera, and also this show that was teaching french. I liked the french one best since I actually understood some of it.

At home there is a multicultural channel that shows this Japanese TV show about j-pop. They show a few videos and have a feature artist of the month. I personally can't stand the show because for half of it they are interviewing the featured artist...and the interviews go so slowly. They ask the question and then it takes about 30 seconds for all the band members to think of an answer, and then when they say it they take these huge pauses between words. It's painful.

In conclusion, I'm sure I would warm up to the regular TV shows, but most of them were a bit too weird for me.

kochisho
Aug 26, 2004, 12:35
What!? No "the Black Mail" on your list? That is the funniest show on j-tv

michi
Aug 26, 2004, 13:02
The local Fuji network leases a channel from 10-10:45 p.m. I think. The only shows I've seen worth watching are Heyx3 (which doesn't show anymore, or at least, it doesn't come on when it used to), and a humorous show about a group of Japanese people travelling the world in a bus, whilst looking for love among themselves. Perhaps I'd liked the dramas and other talk-shows better if I understood what they were all saying!

jieshi
Aug 26, 2004, 13:56
I like the talk show in "lost in translation" im not sure if that is a real show. I think it is

blessed
Aug 28, 2004, 09:01
umm. its not really a show... and its not really on anymore... but...Segata Sanshiro, Segata Sanshiro Sega sataan shiro!!! :D:D:D:D:D.

best... adverts....ever...
and the song rules too. :D

neko_girl22
Aug 28, 2004, 16:48
I also liked "Shinkon-san Irasshai" (Welcome Newlyweds) that used to be on during the '70s and '80s :cool:

I like that too, although sometimes seems a bit rehearsed. It's on Sunday around lunch time now. DH (forum language for "dear husband" or whatever "D" word you want to put there :p ) wanted us to go on that show - it's too late now though because you have to be married no more than a year. Also they love talking in detail about the couples sex-life.... not sure that would go down well with the inlaws and other friends who might watch...!

I don't watch a lot of TV, but there are some good cooking shows and a kids kanji program that's also good for me!

tekk2k
Sep 24, 2004, 05:01
I am in the USA and Can't get japanese TV. But I am looking to Purchase a large quantity of japanese TV shows to help me learn japanese. And I needed some advice on some of the good quality and popular tv shows. So what are some of your favorite Japanese TV Shows and Why?

Glenn
Sep 24, 2004, 05:32
Merged with already existing thread (it even has a poll!). :-)

sky888
Sep 25, 2004, 23:51
the commericals!! definitely!

wintersweet
Nov 21, 2004, 10:23
I really enjoyed watching uta karuta on TV in Japan last New Year's. Back in the US, I watch Japanese TV every Saturday. "Sakura" just ended (thank god...), "Koi Seyo Otome" ("Let's Fall in Love") recently started, and "Shinsengumi!" is still going. Sometimes I watch the news or random quiz show afterward, although I can't understand that much, since those aren't subtitled. :( Someday, dammit.

cyber ape
Nov 25, 2004, 15:56
I really watch the more fun and pop'n shows like Hey Hey Hey! and Pop Japan TV. Of course, my Japanese entertainment is limited.

ffrost_nova622
Nov 27, 2004, 00:49
what are some japanese dramas?

GoldCoinLover
Sep 22, 2005, 17:05
As for me, I've seen some really WEIRD japanese game shows on spike TV (I have satellite TV) I think it was. Also there are some on Sushi TV. Some weird stuff. I've see some japanese PSP commercials on their site and on IGN.com.

Dutch Baka
Sep 23, 2005, 06:47
Mechaike Thats for sure, and London hearts!!!!!!!!

Kara_Nari
Sep 23, 2005, 18:23
I like Hey Hey Hey (used to watch videos of it with my Japanese friends back in NZ), then there was a REALLY interesting travel show which I dont know the name of....
SMAPbistro!!!! I love Shingo chan!!!
Beach boys was good for a laugh, when there is nothing better to watch on Korean tv.
Hmm just trying to think of other programmes I have seen.....
Sumo and K1 are about the only sports I like watching, oh and the Japanese and Korean soccer teams! ooh lahlah!

Patchy
Sep 30, 2005, 12:55
I really watch the more fun and pop'n shows like Hey Hey Hey! and Pop Japan TV. Of course, my Japanese entertainment is limited.

"Poppuh Japahn TV!" XD
God do I love that show, the only way I happen to catch it is when it comes on AZN at 5 in the morning. I actually stay up until 5 to watch it on weekends, sad huh? I don't like the guy who hosts though, he has no enthusiam what-so-ever. Hey hey hey is sweet too.

This makes me wanna go download some TV shows on lucida tracker >___>

advigilo
Dec 12, 2005, 20:39
on dutch television there is something called commercial guessing...
is this really a trend in japan?

Yokan
Dec 13, 2005, 09:14
Have to contribute here! ^_^ Takeshis Castle is very good, though since I do not see much of Japanese tv on the web and on tv, I don't know. :( In UK they usually make it out to be funny lol. I did however once watch a whole episode of 'hey hey hey!' with the interview of X Japan. I liked it, or, perhaps, just X Japan. :blush:

Jayern
Dec 14, 2005, 10:36
I watch a lot of TV varieties like Mecha Mecha Iketeru, Utaban, Hey Hey Hey Music Champ, Music Station, Music Fighter and Asayan before it was cancelled.

cyberryo
Dec 30, 2005, 23:15
I like Project X. My wife would watch the show and started sobbing. My Japanese in-laws would praise the show and talk of the people who made Japan strong and contributed to its economic prosperity. These are people who stick resolutely to their paths despite odds, and push on to achieve greatness. A bit of what I would call good old stubbornness. Today`s show is the last. Will miss it. I heard that most youngsters in their twenties within Japan do not watch this show. Is it true?

-rika- shinya`
Jan 4, 2006, 20:05
i like Pop Jam ^^ and animes.. other than that i watch the near-the-end part of sumo too every tournament, although just to see asa shoryu and sometimes hakuho:relief:

Pachipro
Jan 19, 2006, 03:52
I still, to this day, love Sazae-san shown at 6:30 pm on Sunday nights. The typical extended family and a great way to stay up on the language.

I throughly enjoy the six-month long, 15 min "morning novels" on NHK as they show a real glimpse of Japanese life. Six months highlights one woman's life in Southern Japan (NHK Osaka) and the other six months highlights one woman's life in northern Japan (NHK Tokyo). A good contrast of dialects and culture.

I enjoy the weekly murder mysteries as they usually take place in a popular tourist attraction/site in Japan. Great for learning about these places.

I enjoy the weekly "Doramas" as they typically highlight a sector of Japanese life and culture and is a great way to maintain a current knowledge of the language and culture.

Of course I enjoy the weekly shows that highlight the popular music of the day although I am more biased to enka type music but do enjoy more than a few modern songs and music. My all time favorites, although extinct, is "X-Japan", Southern Allstars, Sawada Kenji among others.

And "Sumo Digest". Sumo is still one of my all time favorite sports although it did take me a while to understand it.

Thankfully I receive them on tape from my mother-in-law. Arrigato mama.

Spawnie
Feb 17, 2006, 18:51
Anime was my first interest, but then I figured out the funny comedy shows they had. I understood almost nothing, but they sure have funny characters on TV. As Maciamo said the commercials are good but become tiresome after a while. I also like Sumo so I watched that frequently.
Well I have to admit that I watched too much TV there but only because I wanted to learn some language and get used to hearing it all the time.
Japanese TV is not actually that bad as it surpasses Croatian TV and lots of others by far with quality of content.

godppgo
Feb 18, 2006, 07:39
I get TV Japan here and I really like some of the NHK documentary and shows that introduces seafood around Japan. What they do is that they visit small fishing towns and go out to the sea for one day with the fisherman. They came back with the fish and make all sorts of 料理. They all look so yummy!

MeAndroo
Feb 18, 2006, 07:53

I know I'm quoting a post 2 years old, but this was one of my favorite shows too. I never figured out the name, but it was absolutely hysterical watching 5'6" 120lb guys fight sumos for screwing up a counter.

I also like Docchi no Ryouri, a show with the title meaning "Wisdom of a monkey" or something to that effect, and almost anything with Downtown.

enfu
Feb 22, 2006, 08:48
Definitely anything Lonbu. I have a stack of their videos and I watch them continuously everyday in the background to keep up my listening...and at this point its almost a habit to have them in the background.

I've been following Lonbu since Lonbu Dragon from about 1999.

downey
Mar 11, 2006, 19:36
I did not get to watch much Tv while i was there, but one show that i really came to enjoy watching every morning before I went out to site see was a show that I think is called "With Mother" i have not been able to find much about it except the information from the NHK website. I was staying with my grandmother and i dont think she had cable since there were only 10-15 stations. I also liked the variety type shows on later at night when i would get home that had alot of singing on them like karaoke. Also the commercials I would like a dvd full of random Japanese commercials.

Carlson
Mar 11, 2006, 19:52
anything that is on late at night... its usually more funny then.

xerxes99
Mar 11, 2006, 20:02
What's that show where the fat blonde japanese guy and his friend go around to various farms and restaraunts and eat. then occasionally take a break to dance. I love that show.

epigene
Mar 12, 2006, 03:48
What's that show where the fat blonde japanese guy and his friend go around to various farms and restaraunts and eat. then occasionally take a break to dance. I love that show.
Do you mean "Debuya"?
I like the guys on that show and worry like their mom that they're eating too much and not taking care of their health!!:blush:
But, Papaya Suzuki is OK in that respect, he's actually a dancer and choreographer.

Gaijinian
Mar 12, 2006, 08:11
Commercials, by far the best part

xerxes99
Mar 12, 2006, 09:36
Do you mean "Debuya"?
I like the guys on that show and worry like their mom that they're eating too much and not taking care of their health!!:blush:
But, Papaya Suzuki is OK in that respect, he's actually a dancer and choreographer.
I think so. I've seen the friend on other shows teaching disco moves.

Tsuyoiko
Apr 28, 2006, 00:35
My favourite Japanese TV show is Monkey. I just love that show. It was the first series I collected on DVD. The characters are just perfect, and the actors portray them so well. The story is pretty much the same every week - some evil demon kidnaps a pretty girl, Tripitaka says they must help, Monkey has a sulk, Pigsy falls in love, Sandy figures it out and it turns out that the demon wasn't evil after all, he just had a toothache! You can't help singing along to the music and each episode has a lovely poignant moment. The fight scenes are really cool too!

Revenant
Apr 28, 2006, 00:40
Generally, I don't watch TV here or in Canada.

Once in a while, I'll watch CDTV and Rankin Q late on Staurday night, sometimes the Period Drama on Sunday night is more historical, and less about drama. I enjoy some of those. Modern Japanese movies can be heartwarming, and the News when I can listen to it in English is usually good.

Some of the commercials are great. Although, there are also quite few annoying-tune commercial, or commercials with some guy dressed up as a stuffed egg or vegetable that are just dumb.

The only sport I actually watch are the K-1 events, and Pride when they show the best fights. I forgot, I also watch a program featuring athletes competing in a variety of events. That includes speed push-ups, trying to touch a ball before it hits the ground, a race for flags, and tug-a-wars.

Meiki
May 18, 2006, 19:27
I enjoy music-/variety-shows like Utaban, Hey3x and such.

Dutch Baka
Jan 15, 2007, 20:56
Good to see this thread back :D

I love watching Lincoln with the guys from Downtown and Yamaguchi (gussan.. check my avatar).

I also like to watch Ainori (yes, I know it's for girls ;))

Homerduff
Jan 18, 2007, 06:39
As I have never had the chance to see some real japanese tv, I have to base myself on some programs that I watched over the internet..

Ive watched 2 doramas so far, and it may be coincidence but I think they are both awesome. Theres also a show called Gaki No Tsukai from which I have seen a lot of clips on the internet. The concept is so simple but creates hillarious effects (some guys have to watch hillarious things and if they lauph they are punished by some guys hitting them with a stick on their butt lol). Anyway I guess most of you know it, and it is probably already mentionned here !

Cheery Cherry
Jan 19, 2007, 13:54
I chose "other" because I didn't see comedy. I love Japanese comedy!

bd1215
Feb 23, 2007, 16:31
aichiteru, Thursday 11:55, TBS, all thouse weird gaijin woman

Dutch Baka
Feb 23, 2007, 18:18
aichiteru, Thursday 11:55, TBS, all thouse weird gaijin woman

I always watch this program as well, and have to agree that most of the women are indeed a little bit weird. Did you notice that the women speaks more than their Japanese husbands (except for the last time, because her Japanese wasn't that good yet).

-Rudel-
Feb 24, 2007, 05:37
I can say that the latest Japanese movie I have watched was 男たちの大和 (Otoko Tachi No Yamoto)

If you haven't seen it, it's worth seeing. It's about the lives of 3-6 guys that joined the IJN, willst the story told through one of the survivors heading out to where the Battleship Yamato had it's last days.

http://www.vmfa-531.com/other_stuff/Otoko_Tachi_No_Yamato.jpg

SuperGoal
Mar 12, 2007, 16:38
I have to say I don't really watch Japanese TV. Though similar as to what a previous poster said, they tend to tune in for K1 and similar for TV viewing.

Would I be the odd one if I dare mention that Japanese TV is not all that interesting or deep? Perhaps the lack of depth in TV shows comes from my underwhelming Japanese ability though :s

Mikawa Ossan
Mar 12, 2007, 16:40
Actually, I find the exact same can be said of American programming! :p

SuperGoal
Mar 12, 2007, 17:33
I never seen what the US has to offer TV wise, is it that bad? ;)

Mikawa Ossan
Mar 12, 2007, 17:42
Granted I have not watched American TV with any regularity for several years, but it seemed pretty vacuous to me at the time. It especially seems that way now after not being into any of the shows anymore.

Sitcoms are basically the same. Sometimes there's a particularly funny one, but they never go anywhere. The point of the story is basically to end up back in the beginning.

The news is horrible, especially the local news, where they spend something like a third of the show just to explain the weather?!?!

Reality TV shows. I have never seen them (they're just a little after my time), but they seem to all be based on the same premise of voting for a winner at the end.

I find Japanese TV to be much more entertaining, but only if you have a pretty solid grasp of the Japanese language. Of course it is true that you have to sift through a lot of garbage, but I assume that's true of any commercial media.

japangirlcmw
Mar 19, 2007, 04:55
Japanese commercials are quite addicting...Though, I love JDramas and Comedy shows. Hey Hey Hey is such a great music show too--So funny! I think the Japanese have a great sense of humor. :wave:

Abe-toge
Mar 20, 2007, 11:35
I enjoy the travel shows where they visit an area of Japan and poke around in communities, looking at local delicacies, traditions, etc.

I also like the "reform" (renovation) shows where they go in and re-do someone's house. Perhaps because, just like the Japanese, I'm curious to see what's in my neighbour's house.

basuotoko
Apr 12, 2007, 16:35
I like any show that doesn't focus on people yelling at each other and talking about food. How many does that leave us...?

No, really, I don't dabble in anime too often but I'm liking this one called ‚±‚¿‹T (kochikame) that's on channel 7. As for live action shows, I like the medical horrors show hosted by Beat Takeshi, but I couldn't tell you what time they're on because Japanese shows just seem to start, finish, and change in no particular order.

Japanese shows as a whole are pretty dull. I used to think it was because I couldn't understand them well, but as my Japanese improved I can assure you that when you see them cooing over food, slapping each other on the head, and yelling at each other, that's really all they're doing. But every now and then you can find a gem if you're patient enough.

Ran
Apr 12, 2007, 20:09
I watched Hello! Morning since 2003 :P
and I liked several dramas.

lunanueva
Apr 12, 2007, 23:55
I usually watch the news and some silly shows once in a while. I can't stand Japanese dramas, they're very slow.

Arlet
Apr 13, 2007, 00:57
I watch hey hey hey sometimes... And Animes like Tokyo Mew Mew, Sailor moon... etc...
But i cant watch on tv so i watch on the internet :p

Abasio
Apr 17, 2007, 22:35
The Mini Skirt Police was always a favourite :cool:

charlosian
Apr 19, 2007, 13:26
mecha mecha iketeru, lincoln, 99size,etc.
i also watch some dramas, akihabara@deep still my favorite drama.