PDA

View Full Version : What are your interests for Japan ?

Pages : [1] 2

Maciamo
Aug 1, 2002, 23:07
Always good to know if we are here for the same reason or not... This is a multiple answer poll, so choose as many as you want.

My interest for Japan date back from my childhood with the anime on TV and judo, which I started when I was 6. I was judo that taught me my first words in Japanese and got me used to sitting in seiza on a tatami. I also did karate as a teenager. Playing with the eraly Sega and Nintendo consoles also brought me closer to modern Japanese culture. But all this was years behind me when I met my wife and I came to Japan. Now I am interested in the culure in general (history, language, religion/traditions...)., the people and especially the food, which I consider the best in the world.

samuraitora
Aug 1, 2002, 23:59
I have always had an interest in Japan and Japanese things. It is the one thing that has been able to help me keep my focus or regain it. I love the food, culture, history. My two favorite things are the Language and the Martial Arts.

Shinmeiryu
Aug 3, 2002, 02:02
Just about nearly everything I am interested in, with the exception of religion. Though most in particular -- anime, video games, J-Pop, language and food.

deborah gormley
Aug 3, 2002, 07:33
for me its the culture in general, patient and so refined would be my words to describe it it has a secret code(for the want of a better word) that captivates almost anyone who has the privledge to come across it at one time in thier life, well thats what happened to me (hehe)

Scott
Aug 3, 2002, 09:48
There should probably an "All of the Above" option on that poll as it would fit me best.

Tragedy
Aug 5, 2002, 22:35
WHAT?!??!?! YOU DIDN'T MENTION CARS?!!?!?!!! How can you not mention cars?!!??!!??!?!

:::calming down::::

Don't get me wrong, I love other aspects of Japanese culture as much as the next guy, but cars have got to be one of the top Japanese favorites for me. I always have to go to all the carshops (Super Autobacs, Spoon Sports, UpGarage, etc) to see what's new, and cruise the parking lots to drool over the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR VSPEC-II's, the Subaru Impreza WRX STi's, the Honda Integra Type-R's, the Mazda RX-7's..etc etc. As clogged as the streets are in Tokyo and Yokohama, I have not grown jaded to cars. Cars (and music) are my life. I try to make it to all the major motorsport events in Japan.

This love for Japanese cars (we weren't too fond of American cars)dates back to my high school days (1993-1997) where my friends and I learned how to actually work on our engines (from books and our fathers) to increase horsepower and we'd wait for the weekends to take our projects to the underground drag-races held late at night in industrial areas and pit them against other racers. You can imagine how many times the Police had intervened with our little late-night gatherings of 100+ cars.

...and of course, I know you excluded Japanese Women from your poll because that interest in Japanese culture is a given......right?

Here are some examples of Japanese perfection in form, architecture and technology:

Nissan Skyline R34 GTR VSPEC-II
http://homepage.mac.com/kazuosky/Nissan/R34/R34_2.JPG

Honda Integra Type-R DC2
http://www.b18c5.org/images/DC2-R/jdm.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type-RA Spec-C (Actual WRC version in background)
http://www.phoenix-c.or.jp/subaru/impreza/sti/STi-ph1.jpg

To those of you not interested in cars: Sorry to have bored you.

moyashi
Aug 8, 2002, 15:15
GTR's are sweet.
My wife won't let me buy one because I drive to fast.

samuraitora
Aug 8, 2002, 22:30
You would do well here in Michigan than moyashisan.
The average speed limit is 65...70 on most freeways.
Almost noone does the speed limit though.
I am normally driving about 90 to 110 MPH

moyashi
Aug 9, 2002, 09:16
lolo,

My wife keeps saying I'll smash my car one day. The funny thing is that my last 4 accidents I was at no fault. Well, 1 I got hit with 10% since I was moving.

I'm a porche boy at heart but either a GTR or NSX would do me just fine too.

Is Michigan like LA? LA traffic is so bad that if someone got pulled over durinig the day it would create a 1 1/2 hour traffic jam. Looky Lou's.

Japan, is 50 most areas with 60 being a high defualt in rural areas. Highways are 80 or 100. With 120 a pretty regular clip. These are all KmH. Not mph.

@cars
a used good condition GTR runs about US $ 20k. Imprezza a bit less at about $10k.

Also, somebody forgot to mention Mitsubishi's GTO and Nissan's Fairlady Z which is finally coming up with a model change.

Honda cars are not too popular so integra's and preludes are pretty rare. Yet, Honda is quite popular for wagon and van types.

This year, up in Sapporo at least, there is no particular fashion for cars. No slamming or aero-kits. This year is pretty boring. Last year the Estima type vans were very popular.

One of my buddies is a used car dealer who loves US looking Honda cars, ferio's and CRXs.

cheers

samuraitora
Aug 28, 2002, 21:49
@cars
Where can I get pics of these cars???

@moyashi
Damn...I have only been in about 5 accidents my whole life.
Here...it is you fault or not...no %s.

Maciamo
Aug 28, 2002, 23:28
...and of course, I know you excluded Japanese Women from your poll because that interest in Japanese culture is a given......right?

Not quite right.;) I included Japanese women or J-girls in "Japanese people (friendship or more)". I didn't want to be sexist, as there are girls/women on the forum as well. Then I guess if you're interested in J-girls, it's not only for sex but also for their mentality, or Japanese mentality and people in general.

moyashi
Aug 30, 2002, 23:51
@ j-girls
hehe, you could have J-men ... that would balance that ;)

@ cars
there's a J-car garage forum now also a few cars are posted up above :)

Stradini
Sep 8, 2002, 12:06
I too chose all of the above.
For now, my major interest is anime/manga, language and culture. I'll be visiting Japan this year and hope to experience much of this kind of thing!
Japanese people are great (the ones I consider friends, anyway...but then, my american friends are great too..I guess it's just friends that are great..haha)
Traditional japan is very beautiful. I like to watch sumo (I'll be attending the january basho with any luck). I love the precision and beauty of cha no yu.
When people ask, I usually tell them I'm buddhist - but I'm not sure how buddhist I am (I guess that's one of the good things about buddhism, you decide what you are and karma sorts it out...or something...I just really like the morality and ethics of buddhism...the practice of compassion to fellow man is great). Video games, are of course nifty. I played nintendo since I was very young and now I play playstation.
I'm also interested in martial arts. I studied a little bit of karate, but I really love the sword arts (kendo, iai)
Japanese culture, both classical and contemporary is fascinating to me. I can't wait to observe it in person.
Japanese food is okay (I prefer american-italian). I do like miso soup, ramen and a few other dishes. I can't wait to try okonomiyaki and takoyaki.
And the japanese language is one of the most fascinating things for me. I've studied on my own...the rules are so simple for it, but the application can be very complicated. I will also study classical japanese and various dialects (my favorite so far is kansai-ben, but I also like the kyoto keigo)

@ cars
I prefer bikes (I ride a honda magna, but have had a CBR)

While my dream bike is italian (bimota) - realistically, I'll be buying hondas for a long time.

I'm hopeless, I guess. If it's japanese, I tend to like it.

moyashi
Sep 9, 2002, 02:46
Hey, Stradini, you and SamuraiTora would make a great pair.

@bikes
Most Japanese ride only 250cc since the 1000cc class is a different and more expensive license. If I'd ride a cycle it would definitly be either a harley or a honda :)

Stradini
Sep 10, 2002, 21:20
I've heard about the pricing differenced based on engine size (there's a japanese biker faq somewhere). I think it would be worth the expense to own a bimota sb8rSpecial. If I could afford the bike, I'm sure I could afford anything else. A little too expensive for me, 'though. I have my dream!

samuraitora
Sep 12, 2002, 00:01
I agree with Stradini, I would much rather a bike in the right weather...LoL

You can tell Moyashi is origionally from the states with the Harley comment...lol

I think every american boy has wanted a Harley at one point or another...LOL

moyashi
Sep 12, 2002, 03:15
haha, yep. South of the Falls originally.

I grew up in a Harley area but liked the speed race bikes of Japan, like the hurricane, katana, and ninja.

But, now that I'm older. I guess that I'd rather drive a harley but they're a big class engine ... hmmmm

lineartube
Nov 13, 2002, 22:21
Culture. It's a generic word but I think it sums up why I got interested in Japan. From Miyazki's Anime to Masamune Shirow's Manga to Akira Kurosawa's Ran, theres a unverse of human development and history from the unknown begining to the current era. It's... fascinating.

arnadstephen
Nov 14, 2002, 01:09
Travel to Japan
--> people
--> beautifull mountains
--> clean, modern and intelligent country

and the beautifull castles
(European castles are dark and gloomy inside)

and get the hell-out-of the flat-hot-Florida I live in

_.

lineartube
Nov 14, 2002, 02:26

????

You've been visiting the wrong castles. Anyone knows this one? It's probably the most famous castle in the world and it was one of the worst names to spell, if you aren't german.

http://www.bavaria.com/photo/neuschwan1.jpg
photo kindly leeched from www.bavaria.com :D

moyashi
Nov 16, 2002, 00:43
I love Euorpean castles! Might be the AD&D in me :)

Japanese castle foundations are cool. Slight slanted to support the castle and what not ....
hmmm split the thread?

thomas
Nov 16, 2002, 01:01
Neuschwanstein Castle is really a slip of taste, booh! A la Disney. ;)

Btw, a lot of Japanese hold heir weddings at Neuschwanstein, at least have some wedding pics taken there during honey-moon.

lineartube
Nov 16, 2002, 01:33
In Portugal there is a castle from the Romantic era, the Pena (http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Western_Europe/Portugal/Pena.htm) Castle.

BTW, Does anyone want to buy or rent a castle (http://www.castles-for-sale.com/)? :D:D:D:D:D

thomas
Nov 23, 2002, 21:29
Good idea, J-Ref needs a new headquarter anyhow, lolol.

Hoyu
Nov 23, 2002, 22:50
Palacio da Pena - the new headquarters for J-ref?

http://www.footloosetravel.com/pena.jpg

thomas
Nov 24, 2002, 06:51
Not bad. Actually my favorite castle is Miramare in Trieste. It's very modest in comparison

=> http://www.castello-miramare.it

Hoyu
Nov 24, 2002, 09:48
I just checked the Tireste Castle website out and must say that if you are kidding about the "modest" thingy... then I completely understand. This castle would be perfect for J-ref... but they don't rent it out!

At 4 to 8,000 lira per person we could visit it at the same time though. But we should probably focus on the J-ref Tokyo Tour 2003 at this time! Don't ya think?

http://forum.japanreference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1015

Hoyu
Nov 24, 2002, 10:11
How about this beautiful place for our J-ref Tokyo Tour 2003?

http://www.dogensangha.org/images/Dojofront.jpg

2,000 yen ($16.25) per day @ the

Ida Ryogokudo Zazen Dojo
5-11-20 Minami Yawata, Ichikawa City
Chiba Prefecture, JAPAN 272
Tel: 0473-79-1596
Fax: 0473-78-6232

This is Brad Warner's place and I am sure he would accept us whenever we are planning to visit Tokyo/Kamakura.

moyashi
Nov 24, 2002, 15:53
hehe, the one in South Africa was quite reasonable.

@ castles

My grandmother told me we used to have one in the family way back, except the bloke spent all his money on drinking, women, and gambling. It's now a nunnery. Location is somewhere in Denmark. I wish I knew where.

Hoyu
Nov 25, 2002, 04:07
Lets think more reasonably... shall we?

The J-ref Tokyo Tour 2003 is quickly approaching!

Lets spend our energy looking for a place to stay in the Tokyo/Kamakura area. The Ida Ryogokudo Zazen Dojo might seem like a po-mans castle, but it's something most of us could afford!

Shinmeiryu
Nov 26, 2002, 06:50
That Dojo looks like a nice place to settle in for the tour.

I wish I could join, but probably my best chances for visiting Japan is 2004.

Chakan
Dec 3, 2002, 23:30
Oh, crap. I voted before I read that you could select multiple items...

-Video games have been my number one hobby since before I could walk.
-Japanese cultule in general interests me very much.
-Japanese food really appeals to me... I want to learn how to make some nice Japanese dishes sometime soon.
-I studied Buddhism for three years and that sparked some interest.
-And finally, I like the way Asian women look. :)

ricoche
Dec 6, 2002, 16:11
I like meeting new people! Why Japan? There's never a dull moment. :)

Enjoy

Ricoche

SirJeannot
Jan 31, 2003, 00:39
Originally posted by lineartube

????

You've been visiting the wrong castles. Anyone knows this one? It's probably the most famous castle in the world and it was one of the worst names to spell, if you aren't german.

http://www.bavaria.com/photo/neuschwan1.jpg
photo kindly leeched from www.bavaria.com :D
castle of N�remberg, btw that city was the head quarters of hitler's political ... way of thinking ...

i've been training karat� for 13 years now, so it's my main interest, but i like anime and asian food too :D

Jin Kazama
Jan 31, 2003, 12:07
i like all aspect of Japan
- anime
- culture
- food
- religion
- game
- car/bike
- japanese people itself

i wish i can saving my money up so i can go to Japan,especially to Akihabara and Kyoto :) :) :)

claudio
Feb 3, 2003, 11:10
i'm like the baths...:eek:

the japan in general it's most beautiful,the japan istory,the animation...all the japan.
the cars too

Vectorburn
Feb 10, 2003, 06:57
Maciamo, What exactly is your country of birth?

Riot
Mar 16, 2003, 07:21
I'd have to say that my interest in Japan are as follow :
- Cars
- Cultural studies
- video game
- Language

:cool:

Keiichi
Mar 16, 2003, 13:44
Primarily culture in general. Next would probably be Jpop and anime.

ghettocities
Apr 2, 2003, 06:22
Nightlife is the Rightlife in Tokyo.

Erik
Apr 23, 2003, 14:30
I like japanese beer! But other than that... it's just another country... same ****, different pile.

Atsukan
Apr 23, 2003, 15:26
****A lot of my friends live there and I always love to make new Japanese friends.

**** I LOVE JAPANESE FOOD! :ramen:

**** I LOVE ONSEN (especially lotemburos) and SENTOS :O

**** It's easer to study Japanese there. :note:

**** The karaoke is MUCH better over there. :sing:

**** I like to go to festivals and learning about their culture as well.

**** And Japanese goods!

:love: :love:

Atsukan
Apr 23, 2003, 16:50
Originally posted by Kakuzen
How about this beautiful place for our J-ref Tokyo Tour 2003?

http://www.dogensangha.org/images/Dojofront.jpg

2,000 yen ($16.25) per day @ the

Ida Ryogokudo Zazen Dojo
5-11-20 Minami Yawata, Ichikawa City
Chiba Prefecture, JAPAN 272
Tel: 0473-79-1596
Fax: 0473-78-6232

This is Brad Warner's place and I am sure he would accept us whenever we are planning to visit Tokyo/Kamakura.

Hey, that would be grrrrrrrrreat!!!!! I wanna come too! Can I?
:confused:

Erik
Apr 23, 2003, 20:22
Originally posted by Atsukan
Hey, that would be grrrrrrrrreat!!!!! I wanna come too! Can I?
:confused:

Anybody know what a key fee is for? I've seen this on a few ads for places... I think it's mandatory that you must pay it... but ah well...someone tell me otherwise!

tasuki
Jun 13, 2003, 10:41
It'd take some time explaning the Japanese housing system here. But basically, when you rent a place, you have to pay:

Reservation fee (tetsukekin)
The tetsukekin is paid when you apply for an apartment through a real estate agency, before the actual rental contract is signed. It's a guarantee to you that the apartment will not given to anybody else, and to the agent that you will not change your mind. It is refunded after you sign the lease contract and is usually equivalent to about one month's rent.

Deposit (shikikin)
The deposit is used to cover eventual future damage to the apartment. The deposit minus the cost for repairs is refunded when you move out (in theory). The deposit is usually equivalent to several months' rent.

Key money (reikin)
This is a non-refundable fee to the landlord in the amount of up to several months' rent.

Service fee (chukai tesuryo)
This is a non-refundable fee to the real estate agent in the amount of one month's rent, tops.

Himura
Jul 16, 2003, 01:11
Because of all that. Japan is Japan. I have to tick everything.

ben0a4
Jul 16, 2003, 07:10
:rolleyes:

being interested in japan because of manga/anime , videogames is sad. u know.
grow up :smoke:

hotani
Jul 21, 2003, 04:53
my interests in Japan include:

art (ceramics and brush painting), aikido, language, people and culture, food, nutrition (health benefits and other effects of the Japanese diet), cooking, history and literature, kendo (although i have not practiced it, sword work is a big part of aikido), Zen Buddhism - its history and practice, and some others that I can't think of now...

Aki
Jul 22, 2003, 01:41
I'm interestet about everything in japan except the food ^_^'

ben0a4
Jul 22, 2003, 03:40
god. i hate sushi.

Ami
Jul 22, 2003, 05:08
Same here.-.
Well, the things that i have interest in is the Anime, Manga, Video Games, The cars, the music (manily J-Rock), and the Japanese language.

ben0a4
Jul 22, 2003, 05:14
u hate sushi too? finally. someone who doesn't like sushi , i thought i was the only one. T_T

i like that moving animal-thing.

Ami
Jul 22, 2003, 05:54
Oh thats G.I.R. He's actually a Robot in a Dog costume.

ben0a4
Jul 22, 2003, 05:56
nice. :happy:

arnadstephen
Jul 23, 2003, 08:08
Just the place;
--> Modern Society with Ancient Culture
--> Has four seasons
--> Impressed by the commitment of Japanese to learn English
--> Has mountains, and lots of beaches

hkhm
Jul 24, 2003, 02:12
well, i must admit that my first dose of japanese culture was through anime and video games. we have a sole japanese restaurant in the town where i live and it's quite out of the way (you pretty much have to know that it's there to find it). but since i've started stydying japanese i've become very excited to travel there (i've just applied for my passport, japan will be my first foreign visit) and with each book about japanese culture i read, my list of "to see, to do" things gets longer and longer.

any suggestions on which city i should visit first?

neko_girl22
Jul 24, 2003, 13:42
When you go to Japan hkhm, you have to go into the country, ok!! It's so sad when some foreigners only see Tokyo, which is just a big city and crawling with gaijin, when there are so many beautiful places in the country!!

If you plan to live in Japan, try living in a country town - it's the best! If you let me, I would go on and on about the beauty of Kagoshima-ken ..........

hkhm
Jul 25, 2003, 01:31
onegaishimasu!

tell me everything you can. my husband and i have been looking into expatriating, so living there is an option we are seriously considering. and though i do plan to see tokyo, we were trying to decided which small towns we'd see.

on a side note, when we were watching kikujiro and they finally arrive at masao's mother's house, my husband immediately said: "i want to live there". he wants to live somewhere rural when (not if anymore, apparently) we live there.

AustinB
Jul 30, 2003, 04:32
I have been intrigued by Japan for quite a while guess the cultural differences appealed to me but only recently have I taken this interest to another level by reading much more about Japan and studying the Japanese language in my free time. I am now addicted to the language and have also visited the country for the first time in May and will return for another holiday in September which I am definately counting down the days for!

Ami
Jul 30, 2003, 07:04
If I went to Japan I would 1st want to go to Kyoto rather then Tokyo. It seems more peaceful and spiritual over there. My teacher that lived there for one year said so. :bow:

neko_girl22
Jul 30, 2003, 13:19
Originally posted by hkhm
onegaishimasu! tell me everything you can. .

Japan varies alot - eg, do you like heat or cold? Down here in the bottom of Kyushu is very hot, but Hokkaido stays pretty mild during summer and is really cold in winter (no winter really here in Kagoshima)
I think perhaps you will have to travel to a few places you're interested in to be able to make a decision. Japan is full of beautiful places. Perhaps you might travel somewhere like Kyoto and find a small town outside of the city :)

hey you guys who said you hate Japanese food - next time you go, go with an open mind willing to give everything a try! I used to be not so fond of sashimi etc, but I wanted to at least try everything and my changed attitude now means I love Japanese food! Food is such an important aspect to understanding Japanese culture.

Atmos_Fear
Aug 2, 2003, 05:50
Man when i think for a monent i realize that I have always had an interest in Japan and Japanese things. :)

Really i'm very fascinated of that country. And i mean the people and everything else you can find there.

Acura NSX :cool: Man i love the look of this car

maji
Aug 14, 2003, 20:49
i checked each box except martial arts and j-pop.

Manga & Anime: i think i saw my first one with 14 or 15 (sheesh, already 8 to 9 years ago). it was "legend of the overfiend" and we watched it at a friend. but i dont know that many and just few good ones.
Video games: are great, though im more into pc's :)
Martial Arts: im not really into that, did judo for 3 to 4 years (like most people). now im more interested in kyudo in matters of sports.
Culture in general: a short time ago i presented work of mine about jomon culture, the prof was really pleased :)
J-pop: uhm, do i have to love it?
Japanese people (friendship or more): i have some friendships via email to japan but not as deep as i would like to.
Japanese language: part of my japanology studies
Japanese food: great one :)
Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...): very interesting
Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...): same too, in a summer seminar a japanese guest-prof tought us about ku, mu and extase and such things.

so much to learn, so few time.

Hanada Tattsu
Aug 19, 2003, 10:35
Well, what lured me into Japan in the first place was Anime, Manga, and Video Games. I really like that area of Japan, in the past few years, it has become essentially part of its culture in a sense.

I also like Japanese people, they are very nice, kind, and helpful. Even saying "How are you" to them is wonderful, because they are so kind.

Culture is wonderful, as are ceremonies in general. The Language is one of the easiest to learn.

It wasn't listed, but history is also interesting.

ryohazuki
Aug 21, 2003, 17:18
For me its the culture, video games, and I love watching japanese films, I prefer them to american/english films.

X-Japan-FanGrl
Aug 21, 2003, 19:08
I picked the culture in general but anime and video games has its part as well..I kinda wanna go there and become a video game designer or animator..that would be nice

Kiwano
Aug 28, 2003, 04:10
1. The language
For me, it's quite embarassing. It all started with a flash game which turned out to have a slight touch of hentai over it (tha purpose was to seduce miss Fukoma High in less than 100 days i think). After playing a while I got really in to it, so when it was all over I kinda wondered who this character "Tomoko Saeki" was. Turned out she was from the Anime series DNA2, my friend had the first episodes so I watched them.
I remeber seeing a hiragana "i" and at the same time seeing an "i" in the subtitles, and I kinda thought "well, maybe these wierd symbols actually are parts of a really complicated alphabet, I'll check it out on the internet later". The rest is history, I've been studying Japanese for a little while now, a language which obviously doesn't want to be learned by anyone, but is really interesting.
Goal1: To one day be able to use verbconjuctions like
nakereba narimasen, while maintaining a straight face.
Goal 2. Convince the Japanese that it's okay to use spacebar, even when writing in japanese.

2. Games
I'm the best thing that has happened to streetfighter since it was introduced to the supernintendo. No futher comments
Goal 1: I hope that there is at least someone who can give me some competition in Japan
Goal2. Master the shinkushoryuken level 3

3. The human beings of the opposite gender
Well it isn't the reason why, but a collateral bonus. The japanese girls. I've always had a soft spot for asian chicks after my very first love, Mika, from Korea. Unfortunately we got separated when she entered first class, and I was still stuck in the kindergarten.
Goal: None. After marrying about 5 milion girls I'm not sure, maybe I should ask my folks about that one.

And the last one is to get away from Sweden and the 9-5 livestyle which I can se before me.

Ps: I know that my english sucks, so you are free to beat me up if you feel like it.

Atmos_Fear
Aug 28, 2003, 23:25
I kinda wanna go there and become a video game designer or animator..that would be nice

me to, me to.... :happy:

So you are working in the 3d industry ??? 3dMax, LW, Maya ???

serewen
Sep 5, 2003, 21:45
I like games,especially yu-gi-oh!

avadnc
Sep 9, 2003, 02:58
Hello people, i'ts my first time in this forum, i hope to know much people, i'm from spain and i love japan. I supose that i will be the culture or the filosophy of life or the martial arts or manga, i don't know, but japan for me is the land of my dreams.

:P Sorry for my english i want to learn more :)

CRASHTEST
Sep 10, 2003, 23:12
Originally posted by Atmos_Fear
Man when i think for a monent i realize that I have always had an interest in Japan and Japanese things. :)

Really i'm very fascinated of that country. And i mean the people and everything else you can find there.

Acura NSX :cool: Man i love the look of this car

i've always been interested:D :clap:

Punk の軍のロッカー
Sep 17, 2003, 19:42
I really enjoy the pop music culture and fasion styles of today's Japanese Youth. Sometimes I find myself sitting on a stoop watching people go about their everyday lives. Watching people talk, the youth guys with their Scooter teams going up and down roads seeing who has the loudest muffler. I guess I like thier lifestyles a lot....oh, and the night life is the best at raves.:)

ghettocities
Sep 17, 2003, 20:48
Originally posted by tasuki
It'd take some time explaning the Japanese housing system here. But basically, when you rent a place, you have to pay:

Reservation fee (tetsukekin)
The tetsukekin is paid when you apply for an apartment through a real estate agency, before the actual rental contract is signed. It's a guarantee to you that the apartment will not given to anybody else, and to the agent that you will not change your mind. It is refunded after you sign the lease contract and is usually equivalent to about one month's rent.

Deposit (shikikin)
The deposit is used to cover eventual future damage to the apartment. The deposit minus the cost for repairs is refunded when you move out (in theory). The deposit is usually equivalent to several months' rent.

Key money (reikin)
This is a non-refundable fee to the landlord in the amount of up to several months' rent.

Service fee (chukai tesuryo)
This is a non-refundable fee to the real estate agent in the amount of one month's rent, tops.

Don't forget this one,

Japanese Girl (Nihonjin Onnanoko)
There is no deposit, no bill, no cover-charge, no rent, easily obtained through pen-pal/keypal (email penpalship,) and the only requirement is that you be a foreigner (or in my case a foreigner with boyish good looks.)

:note:

"Dear Penpal, I want to experience Japan and it's beautiful culture! I love Japanese food, will you cook for me sometime? I also want to experience a Japanese family way-of-life, here is my photo, would your family like to be my homestay? We could learn from each other and it'd be a really fun experience!

Your Penpal,

Josh"

"Dear Josh, My family really liked your photo and skateboardo bideo! Choooooooo kakkoiiiiiiii (^_~#) You will be here fall season? OK! Please call from airport and I will pick you up in my car. My mom is also excelentt cook and she wants to cook you meal everyday! My sister is at college so you can even sleep in her room!!!! tanoshimiinishitemasuuuuuu~~~ Here is my cellphone number please call me when you arrive! My family is vary excited!

Your Japanese Penpal,

(Japanese Penpal's name)"

, and in the matter of three to five letters, my photo and a video of me skateboarding I just saved myself a few thousand dollars, I have a place to throw all my luggage, shower and come home to in the late afternoon (after clubbing and love-hotelling.)

That's what I do for housing,

Josh

http://www.ghettocitiesclothing.com

Punk の軍のロッカー
Sep 18, 2003, 20:52
LOL...that's rude...but I like it.:D

bz_jpn
Sep 19, 2003, 02:36
Why are you in Japan? Do your parents know what are you doing in Japan? Are you proud that you can gain slut women easily besides intelligent women who know what love is? Don't you know that you are giving your fellow men bad name? Don't you know why White men-Asian women couples are looked down on in Japan?  And why are there so many people who react to his low IQ message positively just like the above guy who said "LOL...that's rude...but I like it.:D "

Punk の軍のロッカー
Sep 19, 2003, 15:17
I would not really do that. Before you can usually make an assumption, you should know the person first. I don't know Cities would really do that, and I for one, would not do that...It's all in a joking matter. Besides, I have my own house here.:note:

ghettocities
Sep 19, 2003, 17:41
Originally posted by Punk の軍のロッカー
I would not really do that. Before you can usually make an assumption, you should know the person first. I don't know Cities would really do that, and I for one, would not do that...It's all in a joking matter. Besides, I have my own house here.:note:

Look at me like Rumplestilkskin, I say this, I say that, take a few first born babies but in the end i'm turning straw into gold while I pay the rising costs of internet hosting for the rest of the kingdom's viewing pleasure.

Peace to Asian Backpackers,

Josh

http://www.ghettocitiesclothing.com

ninthsaphir
Sep 20, 2003, 10:39
I would love to experience Japanese life in Kyoto. If it turns out to meet my expectations, I'd even consider expatriating there myself. However, I cringe at the idea of selfishly indulging myself considering the population density in Japan. A home that I would take up there means potentially one home less for a native Japanese there. I would feel horrible whenever I pass a homeless person...

silver angel
Oct 7, 2003, 09:45
I really just want to meet Japanese people. I respect them a lot so having a Japanese friend would be really cool.

justin
Oct 14, 2003, 11:36
I'm interested in japan for its rich culture, great food, music, kind people, video games, and very cute women! In other words, all of the choices on the poll.

Swifty
Oct 17, 2003, 02:02
Being in Canada we dont have many asian woman around

and for me that is a problem because i personaly prefere them over the girls i have to choose from :bluush:

nah that is only one reason lol

i am really into the whole drift racing scene

so i am curious to see that in person :D (initial D :clap: )

but the whole culture in general is wonderful, like nothing i have ever seen

and the language don't get me started- awsome (learning how to speak it curently)

but i would like to start that pen pal thing it sounds like fun

where do people usually go to find one ? ;)

Kat
Oct 20, 2003, 11:14
Well I guess I'm mainly interested in Japan because I'm attracted to Japanese men but I'm also interested in the language and the culture seems pretty interesting too. Also, I enjoy listening to some Japanese songs sometimes and I did use to watch anime and I still like it.

Hey Swifty, what part of Canada do you live in?

Because where I live there are tons of asian women and asian men. Toronto is pretty culturally diverse. Most of the asians here though are Chinese I believe. There aren't a lot of Japanese. However, there are some. There was a Japanese guy in one of my classes last year.

Swifty
Oct 20, 2003, 20:47
I actually live Very close to Toronto (i work there)

but i live in ajax pickering area.

I visit Markham all the Time and the pacific Mall is one of my fav places

sushi + inital D + asian girls = one Very Happy Swifty :bluush:

But they dont seem to be interested in Gaijin guys

they tend to stick to asian guys

ahh well i will keep trying and see what happens ^_^

Kat
Oct 20, 2003, 20:54
Originally posted by Swifty
I actually live Very close to Toronto (i work there)

but i live in ajax pickering area.

I visit Markham all the Time and the pacific Mall is one of my fav places

sushi + inital D + asian girls = one Very Happy Swifty :bluush:

But they dont seem to be interested in Gaijin guys

they tend to stick to asian guys

ahh well i will keep trying and see what happens ^_^

Yeah I know what you mean.

Almost all asians I see around here are with other asians.

It's like they don't even 'notice' anyone else. :/

I've seen about 2 couples where an asian was with a white person.

That's out of like....100s of couples I see though.

zooglub
Oct 22, 2003, 03:14
hum the japanes language (cause it's almost as lovely as french) and the work (cause the japanes are not as creative than french but they are more serious)

not for girl cause for me it's easy to find everywhere, and the japanese girl are ratherly ugly.....

bossel
Oct 22, 2003, 07:54
Originally posted by zooglub
...and the japanese girl are ratherly ugly.....

Hmm, well, I think I have to disagree.
But, of course, this is personal taste.

budd
Oct 22, 2003, 08:27
i don't know if it can be called taste...

zooglub
Oct 22, 2003, 20:15
did you went to japan ?

bossel
Oct 23, 2003, 08:13
Well, I was not sure of the expression either, maybe "liking" is a better word. But since I'm not sure of the use of "liking", I preferred the one I knew (which I think, I had already seen in similar usage). In German it's all the same: Geschmack.

Zooglab:
No, I never went to Japan, but I'm quite interested in East Asia, esp. China & Japan & have seen lots of documentaries et al.
Furthermore, in my city live a great number of Japanese. I think, I'm competent enough to have an opinion.

waverider
Nov 2, 2003, 05:44
I came here for reasons different than listed in your poll. I never had a huge desire to travel to Japan, but was offered a job over here. After doing a little research, I realized just how geographically special the place is. Where I work I am surrounded by mountains and ski areas very near by and I live right on the beach. So, I guess you could say that I chose to come over here for outdoor pursuits (surfing, skiing). However, the country has really grown on me. I love the culture and people watching plus the food is fantastic. I'm not too interested in the whole pop-culuture (anime, video games, j-pop, etc..) but more the historical culture and the religions practiced here. I'm not sure how much longer I'll stay. There are a lot of other places I'd like to travel and live also. Germany may be next. So far though, Japan has been great!

EscaFlowne
Nov 17, 2003, 22:58
*I could have sworn i posted in here. at least i did the poll!*

I came here for knowledge for one.
Anime,
love for japan
games
language
And the #1 big bringer of.....me....drumroll people.....
:clap: **~japanese girls~** :clap: ---just learned of this penpal thang. So I'm in HEaven!

666NekoSadness666
Nov 20, 2003, 22:14
I love anime and manga, The people of japan, The language is beautiful, The video games and just the culture...

senseiman
Nov 23, 2003, 17:37
When I came to Japan I didn't have much interest in it per se, I was just coming for a job. But now, my main interest is Japanese history. It is so much more fascinating than Canadian history. The first book I read when I came to Japan was the Tale of the Heike, and since then I've been hooked. Its great to go around and visit ancient temples and castles, they are so fascinating when you hear the stories associated with them.

It kind of makes me sad that modern Japan's main cultural contributions to the world seem to be cartoons and video games. It has so much more to offer, but it just goes unappreciated, even in Japan.

IgotitallJp
Nov 24, 2003, 03:39
Shoot. Basically, I just like the atmosphere around Japan. When you're there it feels like you've left the planet and are living amongst a secret civilization or something. Not only is SOME of their food good, natto being excluded, the people are very friendly, young and old, the streets are clean and there is just so much to do, but their culture in general is so strong. Japan is in a lot of ways, like America. Almost every race in the world is walking somewhere in Japan. Japan has foods from all over the world, music is off the chain, it's for the most part safe to be out late night hours, their language is just so addictive. Once you learn it you'll have a big head and will find yourself speaking it around a group of english speaking friends. When my PCS date is up in a few years, I'm gonna put in a request to come back here for a couple more years. Oh yea, did I mention mixed babies are cute? Yea, I got a beautiful little girl.

Sgt. Wang
Dec 4, 2003, 07:46
Yeah, I love anything and everything about Japan and its culture. Everything is so organized and all.

And I have a question for Zooglub. Have you been to Japan? I really don't know what you are seeing if you don't think the Japanese women are attractive. :D

METALLICA
Dec 5, 2003, 04:37
i love everything modern about japan.. i love the japanes pop culture and how they are (the people) i wish i live in japan...

i like how people are so weird and freaky but at the same time so respectful too... i wanna live there... they're so high tech too...:clap:

Hidden_Wisdom
Dec 11, 2003, 06:09
Well i voted for Culture in general,Because i have always respected the way they view life and the way they would cary themsevles,always makeing sure everything the would do they would always work or cook to perfection,Its not only that but also about ther philosophys,music and other acts. I feel i wrote wrongly,or maybe its just i couldnt free my mind inot this post.
May be next time. :bow:

Kaleikuiha
Dec 18, 2003, 06:51
The reasons why I'm into Japan is for everything about it. (Culture, Pop Culture, Music, Arts, Autos, Girls...etc etc) I always had a huge intrest over 日本 and mainly 東京。 I studied everything that I could on the subject and I had many many Japanese friends over the years. But the biggist reason why I went all out intreged about anything/everything Japanese is that I plan to move to 東京 (Tokyo) and become a 漫画家(Comicbook Artist)... I will follow my sensei's advice to me "get yourself a nice Japanese girlfriend" and thus I will.

Hidden_Wisdom
Dec 18, 2003, 08:05
*Voted for Culture*

Well i have always enjoyed everything about japan the music and way of life,its such a fun enviroment and everyone is moslty nice so it is like a big good vibe,ther natural enviroments are very pretty you can feel the past and you just sit and relax.Well thats what i think./\later :hanabi:

Porl
Dec 18, 2003, 20:24
Thinking back i guess i've pretty much always been interested in japan. I guess the language as a main thing as it seems like such a mystery and a million miles away from english. well, to me it seems like it. ;)

I've always for some reason had a 'need' too hunt out japanese versions of computer games even though i cant read what they say. The artwork and design of the covers and manuals always seems so much cooler than the european/us versions.

I got into anime and manga around the same time back when i was in secondary school. From that i always wanted to learn the language but always chickened out.

Now i've just gone for it and started looking up the alphabets and looking up some books.

I dont know, it just seems really neat.

Porl''

The Sol
Dec 25, 2003, 07:49
I like ervthing about japan.It's a great country i like to visit it sometimes but the trip is quite expensive:bluush:

Ashen
Dec 26, 2003, 13:26
Originally I was interested in Japan purely for it's amazing Manga/Anime ! But I guess that's a good thing because as I was looking up Anime when I came across fascinating things about Japan's culture, daily life, and high school life. Now I find myself on the computer for hours researching anything I could possibly think of about Japan. I've become very interested in learning Japanese ( im a little past beginners level ) and kanji which ( I decided to delay learning the written language until I've learned the spoken language more fully )I love. Hopefully in the 10th grade I will be going there as an exchange student but there are some difficulties in the process. I'd have to say that the overall culture , and family values interest me most when it comes to my drive to learn more about Japan.
* please don't take my opinons to heart because we all have our own and are intitled to them. Thank you!

Golgo_13
Dec 30, 2003, 05:51
Originally posted by zooglub
not for girl cause for me it's easy to find everywhere, and the japanese girl are ratherly ugly.....

I guess here's proof they are rather ugly:

http://sofu1945.tripod.com/mega5/mega-5.html
:clap:

Ashen
Dec 30, 2003, 11:38
I always thought of Eastern asian women/girls as pretty or beautiful. When I looked at your web-link I say some really pretty girls on there , although there were some not so pretty ones as well.
:giggle:

Golgo_13
Dec 30, 2003, 12:03
If you go to the Member's Gallery I have a few photos of Japanese actresses posted.

Sgt. Wang
Jan 3, 2004, 03:13
That is crazy funny!!!!!:D

Buntaro
Jan 9, 2004, 07:22
Ashen .

I would like to STRONGLY suggest that you master hiragana before learning spoken Japanese. Not writing your lessons in Romaji, and only writing them in hiragan will be a big benefit down the line.

Buntaro
Jan 9, 2004, 07:23
Ashen .

I would like to STRONGLY suggest that you master hiragana before learning spoken Japanese. Not writing your lessons in Romaji, and only writing them in hiragana will be a big benefit down the line.

Golgo_13
Jan 9, 2004, 10:17
Is there an echo in here?

evasuka
Jan 10, 2004, 01:59
every thing!!!
this started when i was very young
about 12 years ago when i was five

Golgo_13
Jan 10, 2004, 04:54
Originally posted by evasuka
every thing!!!
this started when i was very young
about 12 years ago when i was five

Naniga desuka?

Zenzen wakarimasen!

:sorry:

EpsilonPhoenix
Jan 14, 2004, 12:21
All of the culture. The big cities, nice-than-normal people, language, manga, anime, etc.

I don't know why, but I feel like I belong there...

evasuka
Jan 16, 2004, 04:53
me also!!!!

Sgt. Wang
Jan 17, 2004, 17:16
Originally posted by Golgo_13
Is there an echo in here?

I think in the second post, he added an a to the second 'hiragana'. But of course that's why there's an edit button!!!:p

lychos
Jan 18, 2004, 13:30
Originally posted by EpsilonPhoenix
All of the culture. The big cities, nice-than-normal people, language, manga, anime, etc.

I don't know why, but I feel like I belong there...

wow... that's pretty much what i was gonna post... except... games... (:bluush: ) games are awesome :happy: and Japan gets all the games first... and stuff like star ocean, that never came out here... :happy: and j-pop! gotta love j-pop... :happy:

Hachiko
Jan 18, 2004, 14:22
I like a lot of stuff about Japan: the food, the customs, the girls, the anime and manga, the music, Hachiko...everything. If I was able to take a plane to Tokyo and start a new life as a gaijin citizen, I'd seize the opportunity, no doubt. ;)

Musoka
Jan 19, 2004, 06:40
Mmmm...I like Traditional Japan, I have read a couple books and I find it quite interesting. the whole kabuki theater thing is quite entertaining and exciting to me...

But I also like anime and manga(since I am an otaku and a manga-ka). And I also like the people and i LOVE the culture

hargaR1
Jan 19, 2004, 13:53
HI, My name is Rick ( Noriki ),
I live in Melbourne Australia.
I am looking for people who live or lived in Melbourne.
If you have time pease come to my Thread and tell me about
yourself or the things you do in Melbourne,

Japan Forum サ Member Lounge サ
Member Introductions サ Melbourne People & Introductions & Events

http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6589

Thankyou Rick

yokutoshi
Jan 23, 2004, 10:34
i like girls, culture, uniquesness, their aspect of respect and heirarchy, and also their many cool and inovative gadgets. Thats what i like about Japan

Ahazmaksya
Jan 23, 2004, 18:12
When I was younger I was always into the Ninjas and the fighting and what not...other countries just generally fascianted me too. One day i found out Ninjas we're from Japan and I got intersted, then I saw some anime and I enjoyed it and I found that was from japan aswell! So I started learning about it and found many other aspects of the culture that I liked, so yeh. Then I visited japan and there were some damn good times then. Now I can't get enough

Golgo_13
Jan 24, 2004, 06:10
Originally posted by yokutoshi
i like girls, . . . Thats what i like about Japan

Yeah? Then you'll like these:

Pretty Japanese Idols : http://sofu1945.tripod.com/mega5/mega-5.html

samikun
Jan 28, 2004, 21:05
Lets see...

The long version:
When I was young I got interested in Japanese culture. I don't remember why. It stayed there in the back of my mind mind for some time. I actually tried studying a little Japanese but I was too lazy I guess. Few years ago I started watching lots of anime. After that I have been interested in Japanese culture, nature, language, anime, manga, Japanese music lots of other stuff. It's strange but Japanese architecture, language and culture seem really familiar like I had lived there in some past life or something. Every time I see a picture of Japan (meaning mostly traditional Japan, not modern stuff) it's so familiar somehow.

I have a few friends too in Japan now so I want to visit them and be able to talk Japanese well.

The short version:
Japanese culture, language, customs, old houses, nature, people.

STRIDER
Jan 29, 2004, 13:10
I love the manga/anime and the video games they'r all great.

Buntaro
Feb 4, 2004, 02:30
Kakuzen san!

Is it OK if I use your avatar on the reincarnation forum? It is really cool.

Eternal Wind
Feb 4, 2004, 23:20
For the poll above,y isn't there a poll for "all of above",cause i am interested in everything!!:)

kai_sethoris
Feb 26, 2004, 05:26
Yeh i agree the lot is great!

Eternal Wind
Feb 26, 2004, 05:30
technolgy should be the greatest in japan for me:)

Hachiko
Mar 1, 2004, 11:21
Right now, looking at the poll, it seems that their isn't a clear reason of interest for Japan. From how I see it, Japan is multi-dimensional, in that it has a little something for everybody. :cool:

TwistedMac
Mar 4, 2004, 23:21
WROOOOM! love it how this went offtopic in such stylish manner as cars and castles!
^_^

i say mailny culture and people though i like most of the other stuff aswell ^_^

- new guy

Samurai Sicari
Mar 9, 2004, 09:46
Mostly: Manga, anime, martial arts, video games and the culture in general.

nime_1412
Mar 10, 2004, 10:17
undefinedundefinedlanguage,manga,anime,and yukata (culture) :clap: :happy: !

silver angel
Mar 10, 2004, 10:44
The culture!!!! And I hope to spread my spanish love in Japan...if you know what I mean ^_~ ha ha ha :D

Ines
Mar 23, 2004, 04:22
Japan always interested me. I like particularly that humans am so polite contrary to German .I like the japanese food very much .

Golgo_13
Mar 23, 2004, 05:50
The culture!!!! And I hope to spread my spanish love in Japan...if you know what I mean ^_~ ha ha ha :D

You can start here in LA, if you know what I mean.

You're a girl, right?

Elizabeth
Mar 29, 2004, 00:36
Japan always interested me. I like particularly that humans am so polite contrary to German.
Exactly why many Japanese I know are so attracted to German culture -- because you don't have to be so polite all the time. :clueless: :D

Vinylhoer
Mar 30, 2004, 02:54
I like the fact that the japanese people seem to be able to be so polite and that they keep everything so clean. Ever since I came back from a two week trip to Japan the filth around me disgusts me! :mad:

To stay ontopic... I love the language. It sounds so friendly and the complexity is intruiging.
Japan's culture is interesting too. I think it's a typical island-country history.
And the relegion (combination Buddhism and Shinto) is still something I don't really understand...

Golgo_13
Mar 30, 2004, 04:43
I like their TV mystery dramas.

Most have very intriguing storylines without any gratuitous sex or violence like on U.S. TV. Also good theme musics

kirei_na_me
Mar 30, 2004, 06:50
Exactly why many Japanese I know are so attracted to German culture -- because you don't have to be so polite all the time. :clueless: :D

Yep. I think a lot of them appreciate that in other countries. Pressure is off.

Uncle Frank
Mar 30, 2004, 06:56
LONG, SILKY, STRIGHT BLACK HAIR & JAPANESE WOMEN; I probably would have to go to the small towns now to see it!

Frank
:blush:

Golgo_13
Mar 30, 2004, 08:00
LONG, SILKY, STRIGHT BLACK HAIR & JAPANESE WOMEN; I probably would have to go to the small towns now to see it!

Frank
:blush:

Women with black hair in Japan? Are you kidding?

Only grade school age girls have black hair.

This hair-dying business in Japan is so sad and shameful.

I once read abook by Den Fujita, the founder of McDonald's Japan. It was written in Japanese--"Yudaya no Shouhou." He claimed if the Japanese ate a Western diet of meat and bread for the ext few thousand years, the Japanese will become blond and blue-eyed like white people. At that point
I decided this man was a fool. If he's still alive and kickin', I bet he has dyed blond hair . . . at the age of about 90.

Golgo_13
Mar 30, 2004, 08:02

It's a good thing they're not interested in French culture. One thing to not be polite all the time, but to be rude all the time . . . :giggle:

Elizabeth
Mar 30, 2004, 08:25
Women with black hair in Japan? Are you kidding?

Only grade school age girls have black hair.

This hair-dying business in Japan is so sad and shameful.

I recently tried to explain to someone why, from what I'd read, Western men would be attracted to Touhoku women in particular -- streaming, luxuriant black locks, slightly paler skin and more rounded eyes, short legs so fitting to yukatas and kimonos -- and all she could manage was shock at how out of date my stereotypes were.....:blush:

一般的に東北に限らず田舎に行くと都会の人より背が低いの正しいと思います。食生活の違いか生活様式の違い かわかりませんがこれも最近ほとんど違いがなくなっていると思います。髪の毛の色は今は毛染めがはやってい るので地方でも黒髪の人は前に比べて少なくなっています。ただ昔から「東北美人」と言う表現があって確かに 東北に女性は色が白く日本的な美人が多いと言われています。色が白いのは気候のせいでしょう。

Elizabeth
Mar 30, 2004, 08:30
Yep. I think a lot of them appreciate that in other countries. Pressure is off.
Probably a prime reason they have one of the highest rates of students studying abroad of any country in the world, not to mention the Japanese addiction to world wide packaged tour travel. I'd never really thought of it in those terms before.

Golgo_13
Mar 30, 2004, 14:25
I recently tried to explain to someone why, from what I'd read, Western men would be attracted to Touhoku women in particular -- streaming, luxuriant black locks, slightly paler skin and more rounded eyes, short legs so fitting to yukatas and kimonos -- and all she could manage was shock at how out of date my stereotypes were.....:blush:

一般的に東北に限らず田舎に行くと都会の人より背が低いの正しいと思います。食生活の違いか生活様式の違い かわかりませんがこれも最近ほとんど違いがなくなっていると思います。髪の毛の色は今は毛染めがはやってい るので地方でも黒髪の人は前に比べて少なくなっています。ただ昔から「東北美人」と言う表現があって確かに 東北に女性は色が白く日本的な美人が多いと言われています。色が白いのは気候のせいでしょう。

I agree about the climate.

Also, because as you go further north, you find more people with traces of Ainu blood. The Ainus had facial features that more resembled those of caucasoids. My paternal grandfather was from Aomori, and I once showed an old B&W pix of him to a friend and he said "Hey, your grandfather looks Jewish!"

There are 2 basic facial types in Japan: Joumon-kei and Yayoi-kei. Joumon-type is characterized by rounder, deeper-set eyes and narrower, higher noses, from the Ainu and aboriginal influences.

Yayoi-type is the rounder, flatter faces with the thinner eyes, more typical of Koreans and Mongolians, no doubt influenced by the migrants from the Asian continent.

Elizabeth
Mar 31, 2004, 00:22
I agree about the climate.

Also, because as you go further north, you find more people with traces of Ainu blood. The Ainus had facial features that more resembled those of caucasoids. My paternal grandfather was from Aomori, and I once showed an old B&W pix of him to a friend and he said "Hey, your grandfather looks Jewish!"
That was my first reaction to pictures of them as well. That and Christ's so called crucifixion in Japan. :p

There are 2 basic facial types in Japan: Joumon-kei and Yayoi-kei. Joumon-type is characterized by rounder, deeper-set eyes and narrower, higher noses, from the Ainu and aboriginal influences.

Yayoi-type is the rounder, flatter faces with the thinner eyes, more typical of Koreans and Mongolians, no doubt influenced by the migrants from the Asian continent.
Although by now most Japanese seem to be largely a hybrid of these two strains. The historically older, Ainu-like high foreheads & noses, pronounced cheekbones, with skulls larger proportionally to overall body size than you find in Chinese combined with rounder faces and thinner eyes. Just not as straight as Chinese, and without that fold of skin under their eyes (?).

thomas
Apr 7, 2004, 12:47
That was my first reaction to pictures of them as well. That and Christ's so called crucifixion in Japan.

According to legend, Christ wasn't crucified in Japan, but died there peacefully at the age of 106. :D

More info: Herai thread (http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245)

w1ngzer0
Apr 24, 2004, 16:35
i like the culture,people, and the country.

I like the people the most. How polite and quiet some of them are i can relate with very much.

RockLee
Apr 24, 2004, 19:59
I like the whole culture and the people too, espacially the girls....they seem much more nicer then those Biatches here in Belgium....one of my main reasons I want to go live in JP... :hihi: I don't want to spend my whole live living in this shithole :s...

dreamer
Apr 24, 2004, 20:08
Hum...I'd say animes, mangas, video games, the people and especially the food...

KitsuneUdon
Apr 27, 2004, 19:46
Movies like Shogun are what got me really interested in Japan. I think I was around 13 or 14 when they re-ran the TV series.

Golgo_13
Apr 28, 2004, 05:29
Great username! Where have you had Kitsuneudon?

KitsuneUdon
Apr 28, 2004, 09:11
It's about the only type of noodle that I really like here in Japan. I normally just buy it from a 100yen shop and have it at home.

Golgo_13
Apr 28, 2004, 09:31
Where do you live?

The best Kitsune Udon I ever had was at a noodle shop called "Sarashina" in the Goryoumae district of Sakai in Osaka-fu.

Nabeyaki Udon is good sometimes also.

tokyo_mc04
Apr 29, 2004, 14:23
My first post. YEss..

Well, Im a military brat. Stationed at Camp Zama to be exact. Ive been to Europe before and lived in the states for a couple years. But I swear...when we moved to Japan..it totally was a culture shock. How everything was just so different and unique from the Western World. Everything attracts me to the Japanese culture. My wife is even Japanese (originally from Tachikawa, Tokyo)...I love Japan...there's just too many words to describe it. I always tell my friends in the states to go to Japan and see how the world is over there.

Golgo_13
Apr 30, 2004, 03:28
My first post.

Everything attracts me to the Japanese culture. My wife is even Japanese (originally from Tachikawa, Tokyo)...I love Japan...there's just too many words to describe it. I always tell my friends in the states to go to Japan and see how the world is over there.

Nicely said. And welcome to the forum. :bravo:

ippolito
May 2, 2004, 17:17
Hello all
As I saw fom the results I noted that martial arts are n.1 as percetage....
I am very sorry that jp youngs are not following so much the martial arts
but more baseball and soccer....
In tv in Tokyo I saw only Kc1 and kick boxing.....what a delusion for me that
I studied Karate, Kobudo, Iaido, Jujitsu and Kenpo Kosho shorei.
Why jp youngs are getting far from japanese martial arts?
Ippolito san

Golgo_13
May 2, 2004, 18:46
Why jp youngs are getting far from japanese martial arts?
Ippolito san

It's the same reason why very few American kids are involved in the martial arts. Sports like baseball, football, and basketball get more coverage on TV and the players make millions of $$$.

Hopefully in Japan, with legitimate fighting sports like K-1 and PRIDE gaining popularity and producing recognizable stars, we will see more interest among the young in the martial arts.

ippolito
May 3, 2004, 18:57
Yes us kids follows more baseball and football by those are there national sports..ther ....is normal like cricket in uk.....
but as percentage I think that there are more m.a. affiliates (all japanese korean and chinise m.a.) in Us than in Japan....
In Italy soccer is the national sport but m.a. are third as number of
affiliates after soccer and byke.....the problem we have is that like in us we have many federations.
I Korea Tkd is considered a national sport and they have milions of sudents
we can reach in Italy perhaps 500.000 including Judo.
My simple opinion that traditional martial arts are sacrifice and hard discipline and youngs cannot see immediate results.....like in soccer
that is possible to see very well paid champiins at 18 years old
bye
Ippolito

jolan
May 5, 2004, 14:07
I had first an interest in Japan since my junior high school classmate was japanese, living in france with his mom in a japanese waof life. When he invited me, I would always sleep into futon or eating tempura, and of course, playing videogame or reading some manga. I also discovered japanese cinema and litterature, and finally I started learning japanese 3 years ago, and now I'm here! New interests constantly arises, such as food, my new addiction.

XS1001
May 5, 2004, 20:51
my interest are anime, people, manga, culture, food, ...

sweetncute135
May 19, 2004, 23:22
I checked off all of them. :D
There isn't anything that i don't like about Japan.
The only thing I'm displeased about is that I wasn't born there :D

Yep, born on the wrong side of the planet :okashii:

Golgo_13
May 20, 2004, 04:13

Have you ever been to Japan? If so, how often? Which cities?

sweetncute135
May 20, 2004, 04:23
Have you ever been to Japan? If so, how often? Which cities?

Unfortuneately, I have never been there. :( poo It's my dream to go there.
But everything about Japan; it's history, it's culture, language, fascinate me.
I plan to visit Japan very soon :haihai:
I plan to go to university and Major in Japanese..umm EVERYTHING :D
I will devote my life to learning everything I can about Japan heehee
to put it bluntly :blush:

~ Sweetncute~

Golgo_13
May 20, 2004, 04:40
Good. You can learn a lot about Japan at this here forum.

When you're at the university and get an opportunity to study abroad go to Japan for a year.

If you have any questions you can ask anyone here. Have you seen my daily updates from Japan thread ("I'm in Japan" thread) from my trip there last month?

Golgo 13 ojisan

sweetncute135
May 20, 2004, 22:08
That's what I plan to do ^___^ heehee

so you went to Japan last year :souka: LUCKY!
I'll go take a look at that thread now then

arigato :bow:

~Sweetncute~

Golgo_13
May 21, 2004, 03:23
That's what I plan to do ^___^ heehee

so you went to Japan last year :souka: LUCKY!
I'll go take a look at that thread now then

arigato :bow:

~Sweetncute~

No, last month -- April :cool:

http://www.wa-pedia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8141&page=1

sadakoyamamura
May 26, 2004, 21:43
I'm interested in everything from the categories except video games. I've never really exposed myself to it because they give me headaches :sick: . In the family, only the youngest brother is crazy 'bout games in general :blush:

ippolito
May 27, 2004, 04:54
Sorry ca some japanese could explailn how is possible to spend hours in those silly games with small balls from the morning I saw the game nxt door to Washington hotel in Shinjuku I was taken a cappucino and I saw people of differente age playing at 9 am
I saw something similar in Las Vegas....how can a person spend hours playing
and heavy drinks for hour from the morning....
I cannot understand this sorry ....I undesrtand a play machine for 1 or 2 hour not for a day....starting at breakfast time.....
Japananese like to play with those machines....for my mind they loose a lot of time and money....perhaps i am wrong what do you all think about?????

Golgo_13
May 27, 2004, 09:37
Sorry ca some japanese could explailn how is possible to spend hours in those silly games with small balls from the morning I saw the game nxt door to Washington hotel in Shinjuku I was taken a cappucino and I saw people of differente age playing at 9 am
I saw something similar in Las Vegas....how can a person spend hours playing
and heavy drinks for hour from the morning....
I cannot understand this sorry ....I undesrtand a play machine for 1 or 2 hour not for a day....starting at breakfast time.....
Japananese like to play with those machines....for my mind they loose a lot of time and money....perhaps i am wrong what do you all think about?????

You must be talking about "Pachinko". Have you ever even played it yourself?

It's a gambling game (no one under 18 is allowed), and just like with any other forms of gambling, people can get addicted. But people do win at it. When I was in Japan last month, since I had never played Pachinko I thought I'd give it a try. I played 1,000 Yen worth and ended up hitting the jackpot and winning over 6,000 Yen. There are people in the U.S. who are addicted to gambling--anything from slot machines to off-track horserace betting to casinos. That's why casinos are popping up all over on Indian Reservations and they're making tons of $$$. Is that a big deal?

BTW, ALL Japanese do NOT play pachinko. If ALL Japanese spent all their time playing Pachinko, there would be no jam-packed trains during commuting rush hour. There would be no car traffic on the streets, there would be nothing on TV to watch, and all of Japan would shut down.

So some people like to play Pachinko. What's the big deal?

名無し
May 27, 2004, 10:47
Pachinko is known as North Korea's most successful business to siphon billions from Japan for missile development and all.

Google hits (http://www.google.com/search?as_q=pachinko&num=100&as_epq=North+Korea)

Golgo_13
May 27, 2004, 11:05
So the Mafia controls most of gaming in the U.S.

Is there a better on-line Pachinko game than this one:

http://sabgames.com/arcade/pachinko.html

potatoe
Jun 1, 2004, 19:20
i would say Japanese life in general is what builds my desire to go Japan, that incorparates everyone.
:okashii:

Haitun
Jun 9, 2004, 18:39
Im crazy almost everything abt Japan.....love Japanese dramas... love naime aumro and ayumi hamasaki....

DoctorP
Jun 20, 2004, 07:05

sweetncute135, how can you make a statement like that and you have never been here? I understand that you like many Japanese things, but living in Japan is not for everyone. I do hope that you get to visit and that you enjoy it as much as you say! Best of luck. Me personally, I love it here. Do I love it more than my home? Hard to say...they are both so different from each other and each has unique things that I truly love about both of them! :?

Sgt. Wang
Jun 23, 2004, 01:52
I agree. But yet I have lived in Japan for two years of my life, and it's extremely different, however, yet I love it to death. It would probably be different if you WERE born on that side of the world, because you probably wouldn't think that Japan is that great, and the schooling would be crazy hard (Recently I tried to do some of the High School work now at age 23, and it was too strenuous to keep up and do for a whole year. And when I lived in Iowa, I always got the best grades and schooling. Japan is not for everybody, but it is one of the best experiences you will get in your whole lifetime.). I'm glad I had the chance to be in Japan, and I think Japan is what spurred me on to travel to different countries. It is an experience, and I loved every bit of it.

Golgo_13
Jun 23, 2004, 04:30
And when I lived in Iowa, I always got the best grades and schooling.

I'm a graduate of Grinnell College in Grinnell, Iowa. :D

Sgt. Wang
Jun 23, 2004, 11:59
Awesome! I remember playing Grinnell in soccer when I was in High School, and my best friend broke his leg on our senior year against them. Of course this has nothing to do with the college there, but I came from Winterset, which is about 30 min. south of Des Moines. Ah, good times. And we won that game too! So, what year did you graduate and hopefully you partied?

I went to Iowa State University, and had a great time there. I've always loved Iowa, but yet I like to travel the world.

Small world after all!

Golgo_13
Jun 24, 2004, 07:38
Awesome! I remember playing Grinnell in soccer when I was in High School, and my best friend broke his leg on our senior year against them. Of course this has nothing to do with the college there, but I came from Winterset, which is about 30 min. south of Des Moines. Ah, good times. And we won that game too! So, what year did you graduate and hopefully you partied?

I went to Iowa State University, and had a great time there. I've always loved Iowa, but yet I like to travel the world.

Small world after all!

There was no partying at Grinnell College. I hardly ever studied in high school and got all A's but at Grinnell I struggled to get B's and C's. It was a tough school. I graduated in '83. LOL! Yes, I'm old. . . . A teammate of mine from high school track team went to Iowa State in Ames for the veterinary science program so I went and visited him there once. Even worked out in the college weight room before hitting the bars.

If you lived close to Des Moines, which mall did you go to the most?

Merle Hay, Valley West, or South Ridge? LOL! :D

potatoe
Jun 28, 2004, 21:09
i love everything!

LonelyWolfX
Jul 2, 2004, 06:19
I like allthing in that list...And Someday I will visit in Japan And I hope that I get emailing friend from Japan....But anyway...

Dai-Saigo
Jul 4, 2004, 19:22
Manga & Anime, Video games, Traditional Japan, Martial Arts, but most of all Zen.

Knives
Jul 5, 2004, 13:35
I just want to go out to the quieter areas of japan and try to get away from everything here in america

Yami
Jul 5, 2004, 22:35
I have to say that I love all from Japan, all. :love: The first thing I knew was the manga and anime but after that I have been knowing more and more things about that great country. The music, culture, the people, the beautiful places,....
I hope someday I will go there :-)
:nihonjin:

potatoe
Jul 9, 2004, 18:55
i love everything to do with japan :relief: :relief: :bravo: :bravo:

Bounty Hunter
Jul 10, 2004, 23:11
I like japan cause their so many new things that i acn do their and not where i am now. :-)

Mr. Just-A-Guy
Jul 11, 2004, 18:42
Manga & Anime, Video games, Culture in general, J-pop, Japanese people, Japanese language, Japanese food and Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...).

Isnエt that perfect? :(

Sgt. Wang
Jul 13, 2004, 03:13
There was no partying at Grinnell College. I hardly ever studied in high school and got all A's but at Grinnell I struggled to get B's and C's. It was a tough school. I graduated in '83. LOL! Yes, I'm old. . . . A teammate of mine from high school track team went to Iowa State in Ames for the veterinary science program so I went and visited him there once. Even worked out in the college weight room before hitting the bars.

If you lived close to Des Moines, which mall did you go to the most?

Merle Hay, Valley West, or South Ridge? LOL! :D

Sorry I haven't replied in awhile, but yeah I used to go to Valley West because it was closest, and South Ridge for the Carmike Cinema. :-) Did you know that they have a new mall that is going to be in Des Moines? It will have over 70 stores, hotels, large sit-down restauraunts, and a Century Cineplex with 20 theatres! IT'S ENORMOUS! :D Which did you go to?

sky888
Jul 14, 2004, 00:48
I love Japan for the amount of effort Japanese put into the things they do...and going into great details to make it right..

The beautiful bento at train stations, flower arrangment, home improvement ideas, the much work going inside the kitchen just to provide a simple bowl of soba.. and the country side life..

simply awesome country (but i didn't like crowded tokyo...)

Blue 3
Jul 14, 2004, 08:18
I agree with you. They do put a lot of effort in doing things. Sometimes it gets annoying like putting out the futon or cooking. Simplicity is not always the best policy but I do appreciate the effort.

I also wanted to add that i love sumo.

King of Tokyo
Jul 15, 2004, 16:20
I checked everything but religion.. not like I am anti-japanese religion.. but I really at this point haven't really learned anything nor felt like learning anything about japanese religion..

Golgo_13
Jul 16, 2004, 04:52
I checked everything but religion.. not like I am anti-japanese religion.. but I really at this point haven't really learned anything nor felt like learning anything about japanese religion..

Most Japanese consider themselves secular.
Religion, in the western sense, is not a big part of their lives.

Ra-zu
Jul 16, 2004, 22:24
Anime,Culture,People,Food, yeah alot....I will travel there soon (hehe, 2 years), so I will see how it is^^

ZellX
Jul 18, 2004, 02:08
what is that pic called and i am very into japan i want to know a lot about japan?

EddyKola
Jul 18, 2004, 04:41
There are HUNDREDS of castles in the UK...also probably the most famous castle in the world...Windsor Castle :sorry: :p

bossel
Jul 18, 2004, 06:33
Most famous? On this site (http://www.german-way.com/german/neuschw.html) it says Neuschwanstein is the most famous. I don't know which is, but Neuschwanstein surely looks better. :p

TwistedMac
Jul 19, 2004, 08:04
i had never heard of neushwanstein before O_o windsor i have heard of tones of times...

what about camelot XD

bossel
Jul 19, 2004, 09:31
Hmm, in Japan Neuschwanstein seems to be very famous. Hordes of Japanese tourists invade the place every year.

But not to get too much off topic: I wonder if there is the same differentiation regarding castles in Japan as there is in Germany. English castle translates into German Burg or Schloss. A Burg has mainly defensive purposes, it's more of a bastion or fortress, but also a residence. A Schloss has more representative residential purposes almost without defences, more like a palace but not quite a palace.

When I looked at a German-Japanese dictionary I got 城 (じょう) for both Burg & Schloss. But for Schloss I also found 宮殿 (きゅうでん). Which doesn't help me much, since I cannot read Japanese. :bluush:
As it seems the latter represents more the meaning of palace. Looking at pictures (http://www.shirofan.com/photo_library/index_e.html) (BTW, nice site) of Japanese castles, though, most of them look neither like a palace nor like a fortress, more like (well, "like"? the style is totally different) a German Schloss built on the remains of a Burg. Lots of stones at the basis, but rarely with defensive installations (e.g. embrasures).

Die
Jul 31, 2004, 06:18
Dir en Grey, manga, anime oh and Diru boys and just japanese boys. deam hot they are.^^

Harvey
Aug 2, 2004, 01:08
I'm a People/Language boy.

I'm also from Iowa! I used to hang out at Valley West Mall! I used to live in West Des Moines! Rock on!

ausdrifter
Aug 10, 2004, 23:00
That R34 GTR is just awesome.
Japan is just awesome, I did say before that i will be come a permanent resident
in japan.

jyasutin
Aug 11, 2004, 10:58
I致e found the language and culture to be quite fascinating since I started studying Japanese 7 years ago. Also, since I visited Japan and had a home stay with a Japanese family, I致e found great interest in the people.

Currently, I have many Japanese friends whom I communicate with on a regular basis. I also try to stay as much informed with events that are going on in Japan as I do with events that are going on here in the United States. If I really think about it, Japan and Japanese are no longer just an interest, but a small part of my life.

By the way, I just found this site and forum today and this is my first post. I look forward to participating in this community and possible making some new friends. みんな、よろしくおねがいします。

Golgo_13
Aug 11, 2004, 11:11
Welcome Justin.

A proud Hoosier! Crawfordsville, IN, huh? Home of Wabash College!

Enjoy yourself!

cricket
Aug 11, 2004, 13:53
Welcome Justin and kochira koso,yoroshiku onegaishimasu.

You have such a nice self introduction,why not post it in the Member's Introduction Forum,too? :wave: Nice way you spell your name,Jyasutin!

Golgo_13
Aug 12, 2004, 03:41
Actually, to spell it in Romaji, it would be "Jasuchin". There's no "ti" sound in Japanese, so it comes out "chi". So I guess I like your way better for forum name purposes.

jyasutin
Aug 12, 2004, 10:56
Actually, to spell it in Romaji, it would be "Jasuchin". There's no "ti" sound in Japanese, so it comes out "chi". So I guess I like your way better for forum name purposes.

Actually, it isn't written with a "chi." When I write it I use "te" with a small "i" next to it. And when pronounced by me and my Japanese friends we say "ti."

For those who can read Japanese, it is.... ジャスティン。 This font might not show it well, but the "i" is much smaller than normal. The Microsoft IME input sequence is "jya-su-thi-nn" followed by F7 to convert to Katakana.

Oh yeah, for those who may be wondering, this is all about the Japanese way of writing my real name, Justin.

Glenn
Aug 12, 2004, 11:00
For those who can read Japanese, it is.... ジャスティン。 This font might not show it well, but the "i" is much smaller than normal. The Microsoft IME input sequence is "jya-su-thi-nn" followed by F7 to convert to Katakana.

You do realize that the "y" after "j" is unnecessary, right? AFAIK, it isn't part of any romanization system, either. Hepbern is "ja" and Kunrei is "zya."

jyasutin
Aug 12, 2004, 11:15
You do realize that the "y" after "j" is unnecessary, right? AFAIK, it isn't part of any romanization system, either. Hepbern is "ja" and Kunrei is "zya."

I do. I just like the "y" there for some reason.

Golgo_13
Aug 12, 2004, 11:16
Actually, it isn't written with a "chi." When I write it I use "te" with a small "i" next to it. And when pronounced by me and my Japanese friends we say "ti."

Oh yeah, for those who may be wondering, this is all about the Japanese way of writing my real name, Justin.

Yes, "ティ" was contrived to accomodate foreign words, but traditionally in Japanese, there is no such sound.

What's your last name, "Case"?

Justin Case.

J/K!!!! :p :sorry: :relief:

smartguy1
Aug 19, 2004, 17:31
I am interested in japanese traditional temples and traditional customs.
But many Japanese ppl are proud of their modern stuffs.
Most modern things in Japan are nothing but a cipy version of Western.
SO why Japaneses are trying to show off modern buildings and modern things?
They certainly don't impress us.
But Japaneses aren't paying attention much on old customs

chikazukiyasui
Aug 19, 2004, 22:22
SO why Japaneses are trying to show off modern buildings and modern things?
They certainly don't impress us.

They impress me. I went to Kyoto and took as many pictures of the train station as I did of any shrine or temple.

canadian_kor
Aug 20, 2004, 04:28
But Japaneses aren't paying attention much on old customs

Wow, that is a knocker. I always thought that Japanese people were very traditional on how they do things.

takeshi
Aug 20, 2004, 18:31
the national parks impress me the most they're amazing, i hope to see all that japanese scenery has to other when i move there.

Violet
Aug 20, 2004, 22:01
I voted Culture in General. Both historical and contemporary. I have plenty of things left to find out about Japan. In a way I wish I knew more already, but it's also fun to look forward to learning more.

Am trying to learn the language as well. But my first attempt failed and made me see I need to enroll for a course or at least find a tutor heheh.

Next year I plan to visit at least Tokyo, darned it's expensive to just get there ;) ... but I just made a little calculation, if I stop giving in to my DVD-addiction and stop buying 8 a month I have the money to get there and I will still have a bit of spending money left too :D

cicatriz esp
Aug 24, 2004, 03:15
I have studied the language for about 15 months and that is my principal reason for being here. Right now i am in kanji hell :( Also, my gf is Japanese so it's interesting to read about the culture (which is <i>extremely</i> different from mine) from people who have first hand experience.
I was looking for a board with a minimum of otakus (who seem to infest most japanese boards) and more people with a genuine interest in Japan and its language, and this seems to be it.

Hero
Aug 24, 2004, 11:13
My interest started after I'd learned Japan made the top game systems and most of the games (been playing them since I was 6).
Continued on with Anime, and then the language, then I went on college trip there and now I want to know more about the culture, listen to some more J-pop, etc..

I miss Japan...

blessed
Aug 25, 2004, 10:18
My interest started after I'd learned Japan made the top game systems and most of the games (been playing them since I was 6).
Continued on with Anime, and then the language, then I went on college trip there and now I want to know more about the culture, listen to some more J-pop, etc..

wow thats scary. same thing, just im going on college trip in december. :D

Trojan1313
Aug 28, 2004, 07:00
castle of N�remberg, btw that city was the head quarters of hitler's political ... way of thinking ...
Isn't it "N�rnberg"?

Reiku
Aug 29, 2004, 11:33
Well, I had to go...

...and now I'm not sure which boxes I checked in the vote. ^_^

I have at least a passing interest in each of the things listed, but I seem to recall debating whether to check them all or just pick the ones that were the most important to me.

At any rate, I've been interested in pretty much anything Japanese my entire life--even before I knew what "Japanese" was. :D

Now days I'm more interested in feudal Japan than the moder one--which is unfortunate for me since they don't have plane trips to feudal Japan. ;)

I'm very interested in the Japanese language as well as Japanese arts in general. I've studied martial arts for about 20 years now, and have written a few less-than-perfect haku, as well as made a few passing attempts at drawing manga and anime. I only found out about anime and manga about 5 years ago--though I had watched it as a kid and noticed during my adolescence that some of the more popular childerns cartoons had something unusual about them, I didn't actually find out that these things were called anime and were products of Japan until just recently...

...needless to say I have a lot of catching up to do.

BTW: I noticed a pachinko discussion a few pages back, I had a pachinko machine when I was a little kid and I loved it! I really miss that thing. Granted it wasn't one of the big electronic ones like they have now--it was sort of a kid's version, but it was a lot of fun.

ZellX
Aug 30, 2004, 00:23
i am most intrested in japan because of the unqite lifestyle and japanese people (becoming friends).

Nezum
Sep 8, 2004, 20:41
:? I am involved in a Role Playing Game Called Big Eyes Small Mouth. The campaign I am working on is based in Modern Japan Horror/comedy. I am trying to get a list of Spooks and miscilanious Ghost/Sperits/Demaons With a brief description and a pic. If any one knows of a sight I will be most greatfull.

Take Care

steamyrobotlove
Sep 9, 2004, 15:11
My interest in most-things Japanese stems from my reverence for their seamless amalgamation of logical thinking and inspired, creative ethos. It all started with video games and moved on to anime and modern culture, e.g. ROBOT CARS. Now I love nearly all aspects of Japanese culture and hope to return someday with more moeny in-hand.

babar-san
Sep 16, 2004, 11:33
i am an animation major, and there would be no better place in the world to study animation than japan. also, i have a deep seeded love for bujinkan, budo and the geography/topography of most of japan, also, the women are very beautifull:)

iamstrange
Sep 19, 2004, 05:54
I answered:
-Manga & Anime
-Culture in general
-J-pop
-Japanese language
-Japanese food
-Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...)

I think it all started when I was very little. I thought Asia was the most interesting place in the world. Although, back then, I didn't really care about Japan. I was more interested in China. But being very little, I didn't know much about it.
I started taking karate classes (I didn't list martial arts as one of my interests, because I don't do that anymore) when I was 5 or 6, but the funny thing was, I didn't even know it came from Japan.
Then I started watching anime. More specifically, Pokemon. (Pokemon... :eek: ) I got really, really bored of that after a while. With good reason.

I did very little, if anything, Japan-related for a few years. Then my friend turns on the TV late at night, sees Inuyasha, I read her manga, and the rest is history. (I know I sound like a complete idiot here...please allow me to explain!) So I started getting interested in anime and manga again. Then I guess a thought something like, "Hey! I want to learn about the country where all this stuff comes from!", got into my head somehow. So I did. The more I learned about Japan, the more interested I was. Two years after what I wrote about at the start of this paragraph, here I am today.

Maybe this is too long? :o But I am new here, and my introduction thread wasn't so great.

acquiredtarget
Sep 27, 2004, 09:14
Pretty much all of the poll categories can answer my interets in Japan, but the primary ones would be history and culture.

glxwill
Oct 8, 2004, 11:13
it would be nice if there was another option to pick, like "other" or "miscellaneous" or something like that.

personally, I'm gonna be honest now, I like japan for the porn and hookers but that's the same for pretty much every other asian country. :)

Raven
Oct 8, 2004, 22:25
I知 interested in the culture, the discipline, how everything they do is an art and how they take responsibility for what they say. There school system, they don稚 punish the students but leave them to take care of their own problem, and the way they focus more tests than hating school or teachers. I especially appreciate the art of calligraphy, I知 interested in their history especially where the samurai are concerned, and their legends are so beautiful. The food, it痴 so light and healthy, and the portions are small, control. Of course anime, video games, martial arts got me started. I like the way their music has a sort of retro, dark, Spanish feel, it痴 quite different, and then there is the koto *sigh*

ippolito
Oct 8, 2004, 23:38
My personal preferences are japanese martial arts...
I have been practiced for many years Karate (godan) and Jujitsu..
a little Iaido and I would like to practice Kyudo.
About japanese culture tea cerimony it is very interesting for me
Zen meditation, and ancient Bushido.
I am too old for manga etc.....

grounded in japan
Oct 9, 2004, 09:57
i love my japanese wife, our two kids and our house. and the low crime rate and beautiful women. apart from that, i'd rather live in the UK or Thailand.

Final Flight
Oct 10, 2004, 07:14
Well lets see, first of all i adore anime and manga, after all, they're what first sparked my interest in japan. Then comes the modern culture which unfluenced me to look into Japanese history and delve into ancient Japan.
From that comes the latest part that i have grown to embrace (or at least parts of it), Bushido, I believe its principles are still worth anhering to.

Martialartsnovice
Oct 24, 2004, 02:26
My interests in Japan are the Martial Arts, Language, Culture, Cuisine, and the friendships, Ive had with a Japanese girl through the Foreign Exchange program, She stayed at my scholl for half the year then transfered to California.

hirobumi
Oct 28, 2004, 04:18
nice to read what interests poeple have

Faustianideals
Nov 8, 2004, 00:33
Well, I kinda wanna takeover Japan and throw it into a world of chaos and famine....

Thartessos
Nov 10, 2004, 22:49
I'm interested in many things about Japan, food, language, traditions, dances, music, festivals, religion, geography and so on. Japan is my favourite country, wakarimasen ka? Greating from Spain. Ki o tsuke te.

cyber ape
Nov 25, 2004, 15:43
Manga & Anime: Of course! Seriously, I can't find a single Jap who DOESN'T like one or the other. I mean, they come in all genres for all ages. I don't see why there'd be an opposition, cept by gaijins totally misinterpreting anime. "Why's their hair blue? " *ugh*

Video games: They started it all! Again, all ages, all genres. I am an absolute DDR FREAK! I remember when I first played DDR in Tokyo. I sucked and was laughed at, but then when I found the local American Arcade got it I tried it. Again no good, but then Playstation had it, and THAT did it.

Anyways, video games are just great. Nuff said

Martial Arts: Well, this is more of a biproduct of video games and Japanese cinema, but even so, I've always been a lover of fighting. Whether it's busting a board or using Shinkuu Hadou Ken on Akuma, I've always loved martial arts.

Culture in general: Hai. Sometimes I try to do that old Japanese cleaning method where you run around the desired area with a wet cloth. My mom saw me once and was like,"What are you doing running around with that cloth? Can't you just use a mop?" Also, everytime I go to school I always think of how the Japanese have those two-door rooms with what? 42 students or so each? Inside each of them, not to mention the whole janitorial services after school, and their obsession with school & baseball being on the same plane, with baseball being a little above. Sigh, I've never been particularly good at baseball, but I can sure run!

J-pop: The only music I listen to(OK, there is some occasional KPOP). My brother's always listening to this "Pop Punk" or "Pop Rock" stuff and every time I hear it I get sick. It's always something like,"Baby I love you, come back" or "don't waste your time on me; I'll just bring you down." Now, since I'm a "Reformed/Revived Jap" if you will, I don't understand all the songs, but most of them, and although some song's lyrics disappointed me, most don't, even if they're all pretty similar. The Japanese really like to play with sounds, noises, and varieties. I used to like Linkin Park, cept all their lyrics, sounds, guitar, etc etc, all went sync.

Japanese people (friendship or more): Well, sadly there are few Japs in Georgia, but I've got a few penpals and I met one of my best friends(Daisuke) in Texas, but he moved. Of course, I'm great friends with the sushi chefs at "Miyabi Kyoto". Although when in Japan I didn't talk too much to know how the Japanese acted towards strangers(especially half-Japanese ones XD), but from the few Japanese I've met they seem very nice and generous. I guess it's because I've been in America, but I don't get it when a foreigner speaks their language they get all giddy like it's a grand accomplishment. Maybe because Japanese isn't as important to Americans as English is to Japanese, even though the majority of American things are manufacuted in Japan(cars, video games and arcades, cell phones, DVD Playes, Hamutaro :cute: )

Japanese language: Well, I love it because of the way it sounds, but the sentence structure always made me mad. I like the language, but I wish they'd invent words instead of just taking ours. I know they're foreign but even so. Nobu? Key? Dooru? Takshii? Come on!

Japanese food: Man, even the ignorant gaijins I have to put up with every day love Japanese food. Whether's it's un-authentic Steak & Grill style liver performance chicken or grand sushi, we all love it. The only thing I'll probably never eat: Candy Sno Peas XD

Traditional Japan (tea ceremony, geisha, kabuki, noh, ikebana, ...): Geishas are just female entertainers, so they still exist...

Anyways, I've never had a "tea ceremony", but I would often invite numerous friends to go to Starbucks. The Japanese traditions have always been cool. I mean, this country's traditions all involve killing. Killing of indians for land, killing of french for maintaining land, killing of english for freedom, then killing of southernors for slave liberation and understandings of the Declaration. Although I've never been to any Japanese ceremony or re-enactment, I've always seen them on the Fujisankei News(10 AM Eastern Time, international channel ;)

Religion (shinto, buddhism, zen...): Although I'm aethiest, buddhism and all the zen and chakra and aura has always enticed me. I personally believe in spirits, but they're all just personality that makes up you, not things that go to Heaven or Hell or Underworld or Mt. Olympus.

*My contribution. The Last Jap is done*

ffrost_nova622
Nov 28, 2004, 02:20
WHAT?!??!?! YOU DIDN'T MENTION CARS?!!?!?!!! How can you not mention cars?!!??!!??!?!

:::calming down::::

Don't get me wrong, I love other aspects of Japanese culture as much as the next guy, but cars have got to be one of the top Japanese favorites for me. I always have to go to all the carshops (Super Autobacs, Spoon Sports, UpGarage, etc) to see what's new, and cruise the parking lots to drool over the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR VSPEC-II's, the Subaru Impreza WRX STi's, the Honda Integra Type-R's, the Mazda RX-7's..etc etc. As clogged as the streets are in Tokyo and Yokohama, I have not grown jaded to cars. Cars (and music) are my life. I try to make it to all the major motorsport events in Japan.

This love for Japanese cars (we weren't too fond of American cars)dates back to my high school days (1993-1997) where my friends and I learned how to actually work on our engines (from books and our fathers) to increase horsepower and we'd wait for the weekends to take our projects to the underground drag-races held late at night in industrial areas and pit them against other racers. You can imagine how many times the Police had intervened with our little late-night gatherings of 100+ cars.

Here are some examples of Japanese perfection in form, architecture and technology:

Nissan Skyline R34 GTR VSPEC-II
http://homepage.mac.com/kazuosky/Nissan/R34/R34_2.JPG

Honda Integra Type-R DC2
http://www.b18c5.org/images/DC2-R/jdm.jpg

Subaru Impreza WRX STi Type-RA Spec-C (Actual WRC version in background)
http://www.phoenix-c.or.jp/subaru/impreza/sti/STi-ph1.jpg

To those of you not interested in cars: Sorry to have bored you.
true true. in aus they dont sell the integra dc2!!! i never seen one in real life only in initial d! the only integra i saw was a dc3, dc5(rsx), and these really old one. (sti is wats it called i tink...not even a dc)

SkippyDaStudent85
Dec 2, 2004, 02:43
I almost had to check all of them! :D

Seriously, Japan has become my hobby since I was in 7th grade... wow :p

ippolito
Dec 2, 2004, 02:59
I had a bad experience with a Toyota Paseo 1993....
the car was very good 170.000 but for parts I have a problem with
electrical distribuitor and had to pay about 700 us dollars to change it..
than there were some heavy scratches on the sun roof glass
Toyota Italy asked me 800 dollars for a new one...I found in a car demolition
company and paid ( I took froma broken Paseo) only 90 dollars.
I was lucky to find the same car....
Anyway I would not suggest anyone here to buy a Toyota...the car is very good
but the parts price are not so good for the consumer
Japanese cannot reach Ferrari Lamborghini and Maserati....level....

My interests in Japan are the Martial Arts, Language, Culture, Cuisine, and the friendships, Ive had with a Japanese girl through the Foreign Exchange program, She stayed at my scholl for half the year then transfered to California.
Do You practice m.a.?
I came in Las Vegas in 94 at Chuck Norris seminar..
I like and enjoed a seminar of Iaido.
Bushido katana Ki

babar-san
Dec 7, 2004, 19:52
I had a bad experience with a Toyota Paseo 1993....
the car was very good 170.000 but for parts I have a problem with
electrical distribuitor and had to pay about 700 us dollars to change it..
than there were some heavy scratches on the sun roof glass
Toyota Italy asked me 800 dollars for a new one...I found in a car demolition
company and paid ( I took froma broken Paseo) only 90 dollars.
I was lucky to find the same car....
Anyway I would not suggest anyone here to buy a Toyota...the car is very good
but the parts price are not so good for the consumer
Japanese cannot reach Ferrari Lamborghini and Maserati....level....

Do You practice m.a.?
I came in Las Vegas in 94 at Chuck Norris seminar..
I like and enjoed a seminar of Iaido.
Bushido katana Ki

i practice ma. i practice tokagure ryu ninjutsu, through an international bujinkan here in the eastern us, and american kbk kempo, i would recommend ninjutsu to anyone interested in ma. also juijutsu, grappling. although ninjutsu teaches alot of similar submission techniques.

my interests in japan encompass a large range of interests. first and formost, i have made studying japan a passion of mine for about 15 yrs now. i am an animation major, and would like to study animation at gakuin, chiyoda-ku, tokyo. second, to study togakure ninjutsu at the iga-ueno bujinkan directly under soke hatsumi. third, to play psy-trance. third, i like japanese girls.

Kamisama
Dec 7, 2004, 20:00
My interests can be explained in one word... Boom.

Tomukun
Dec 7, 2004, 21:26
My interest in Japan came about from first learning the language in 1995. I've been studying ever since and have been to Japan twice before. My biggest interests remain the language and the rich culture. After studying for 10 years, I just want to continue getting better and better so that I can get a job where I can use my knowledge in Japanese. I missed out on taking level 2 of the JLPT this year, but I definitely plan on doing it next year.

Danielk
Dec 8, 2004, 09:59
For me, its Anime!!
i also like the food, especially ramen!
Even better, i liek the sexy teens there :blush: :-)

jerry4
Dec 27, 2004, 11:31
japan is the epitome of cool....

Malice04
Dec 30, 2004, 11:45
Personally for me...it is TECHNOLOGY. cell phone, computers, pda's, dvd's, gaming consoles...etc. I mean, where else can you control almost everything in your home by a cell phone. That's what I love about Japan. and anime. lol.

:cheer: Japanese technology rocks. Cheer for japanese technology :cheer:

something
Jan 12, 2005, 05:36
i say fashion! i love how japanese dresses!!! i guess that goes under "Japanese People"? :cool:

klee123
Jan 23, 2005, 02:30
I'm interested in Japan for:

Language
Culture
People
food
Gaming
Manga and Anime
J-pop
Martial Arts

I hope to be able to work in Japan for a year or two once I graduate. I hope JET can accept science students :P

ax
Jan 25, 2005, 10:41
the language, la lingua, bahasa, ang wikang, 語言、ことば

アクス

MUZIKLUVR
Jan 28, 2005, 06:12
I LOVE JAPAN!!!
The land itself, the people, the music, the movies, the food, martial arts, technology, the cars, the motorcycles, language, the manga, and on and on ....

Except for one thing. Some of the current fashions. What is going on there? It looks eighties or thrift store. At least the pics I've come across representin' current fashion do. What's with the super pointy ladies shoes to? Is this really the new fad?

jjaappaa
Feb 4, 2005, 17:20
I'm lost in the language. I can't wait to get back to Japan. Only 18 more days and then...Japanese TV! I love the variety shows! One Night Lock 'n' Loll!

zero g
Feb 5, 2005, 05:57
I mostly like the people and culture it just seems interesting to me...
I like Ayumi Hamasaki for my favorite japanese singer and I started learning the language recently and I just would love to go to japan someday...

flores_e
Feb 6, 2005, 02:06
Hi my name is Emmanuel
I'm new is this forum :cool: