PDA

View Full Version : U.S. wants presence at any police questioning of military personnel

Maciamo
Nov 24, 2003, 18:26
U.S. wants presence at any police questioning of military personnel

Monday, November 24, 2003 at 10:58 JST
TOKYO EThe United States asked Japan during talks in July and August to allow U.S. officials to be present in all interrogations of U.S. military personnel suspected of committing crimes in Japan, including those arrested at the crime scene, Japanese and U.S. government sources said Monday.

The talks on revising the criminal procedures for U.S. military personnel in Japan under the Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) collapsed in August without producing an agreement.

In Japan, the presence of lawyers or other officials is not permitted during police questioning.

Allowing U.S. officials to be present in interrogations of personnel arrested at the scene of crimes would effectively mean permitting U.S. presence in the questioning of all arrested U.S. military personnel.

The revelation of the stance by the U.S. is expected to draw controversy, especially in areas in Japan where U.S. bases are located.

The talks were held at the request of the U.S. in light of a case of rape resulting in injuries in May allegedly involving a U.S. Marine stationed in Okinawa.

In the negotiations, Japan has indicated that under certain conditions it would allow U.S. officials to be present during the questioning of suspects or let the U.S. pick an interpreter.

However, Washington wanted lawyers be allowed to be present in the interrogations, as is permitted in the U.S., bringing the talks to a deadlock.

Analysts believe Washington took the stance due to its distrust in the Japanese police's closed-door interrogations and public opinion in the U.S. that sees not permitting the presence of lawyers during questioning of suspects as a violation of the rights of U.S. citizens.

Japan's law-enforcement authorities concerned, however, are reluctant to give the exception only to U.S. military personnel. With the need to consider Japanese public sentiment, a compromise is expected to be difficult and it is unclear when talks will resume.

SOFA governs the operations and management of U.S. forces in Japan. It does not require the U.S. to hand over U.S. military suspects alleged to have committed crimes until Japanese prosecutors indict them.

However, the rape of a 12-year-old Japanese girl by three U.S. servicemen in 1995 prompted the U.S. to agree to give "sympathetic consideration" to handovers of soldiers suspected of committing serious crimes of rape and murder. (Kyodo News)

Uncle Frank
Nov 25, 2003, 01:11
When Japanese officials questioned me for my black marketing of booze and cigerettes; they arranged to do it at my base with translators from the US Navy with me. Funny, they wanted me to squeal on the Japanese buying from me much more then they wanted me ? I was told it is standard practice to sic the police on everyone you know who has done something wrong to take the heat off yourself when you're arrested in Japan ? Oh well, nothing came of it all anyway!

Frank

heno heno moheji
Nov 26, 2003, 09:28
I hate that commited crime.
both Japan and U.S. are the law-abiding nations, they should not admit the extralegal measures.
and plea agreement is not permited in Japan.