PDA

View Full Version : Why are you learning Japanese ?

Pages : [1] 2

Maciamo
Jul 21, 2002, 18:27
I am learning Japanese because my wife is Japanese, I live in Japan, I like learning languages in general and it will help me find another job that teacher in the future. Maybe also because I am very interested in foreign cultures (for the moment the Japanese one of course) and there is no better way to understand the mentality of a people than through its language.

thomas
Jul 21, 2002, 21:46
Same here. My wife is Japanese, and we both feel it's necessary to learn each other's mother tongue. Although we do not live in Japan at the moment, there could always come a time to strike tents, pack up and move on to Japan.

deborah gormley
Jul 21, 2002, 23:42
I had no intension of speaking any language but my own, then one day I was searching for a long lost japanese penpal, found this forum and I'm still here, lolol:clap:
I was so welcomed I could not believe it, The big guns (thomas, moyashi and twisted) got me hooked, and with this hook came the curiosity of the greetings they used such as"kon nichiwa" and "yokoso" ect, now I have quite a few words but have yet to get a sentence together lolol:bow:

Twisted
Jul 22, 2002, 01:12
I had the intention of learning Japanese, so i could understand Japanese lyrics, but i've kinda given up.
I can't remember a thing, because i don't use it on a daily basis. If i ever want to learn Japanese, the only way for me is to live in Japan for at least a few years.

samuraitora
Jul 22, 2002, 21:45
I had a class in Jr high that introduced us to many different languages and have been studying the martial arts since I can remember. My favorite forms of martial arts are Japanese. There has always been a lust for Japanese women too. In high school I took 4 years of it and spoke, read and wrote Japanese proficiently. Now I just need to practice to get it back. I would like to have my son learn a little too.

side note: ever notice how in English, there is a 'I' in almost every sentence...weird

moyashi
Jul 23, 2002, 09:51
hehe, you drop the "I" in Japanese.

@twisted
If you're short on time and what not I can understand. But if you're waiting to go to Japan, that day might never come and you'll never have had a chance to speak Japanese. I say slug away and go slowly even if you have to. I hate seeing people give up :( I hope you're not though :)

@debs
I'm glad that we got you hooked!

@samuraitora
What arts do/did you study?
I had a chance to study Naginata for a bit. I did the kendo thing in the states, along with Karate, kungfu, kick boxing and what not. My favorite is Aikido. I matches my personality the best.

Me and my buddy used to quiz are friends with :::
Imagine you are throwing a stone into a pond. What do you see?

My buddy had it worked out by your answer which art fit your personality the best.

lololo ... I used to be the total C grade kungfu fanatic up through high school. And yes, I had caught "yellow fever" too. :) My wife uses that against me now ... ouch.

Twisted
Jul 23, 2002, 20:16
Well, i haven't given up entirely, but the only way i learn right now is through song-titles. Every now and then i learn a new word, but i can't make any sentences, which i think is more important.
And if a certain word doesn't cross my path often enough, i forget it again.
If i'd be in Japan i would learn a zillion times faster then i do right now. It seems such a waste of time to learn Japanese at this slow pace and not having any direct practical use for it anyway.

Maciamo
Jul 23, 2002, 22:39
Note that you can choose more than one reason for this survey. I think nobody has seen it !

samuraitora
Jul 24, 2002, 00:22
@moyashi san
I have studied okinawa, kendo, tae kwan do, taijutsu (there is a school here in Michigan), and Aikido.

My fav is aikido as well...love the fluid motions and the fact that I will never hit you, but you will hurt bad in the morning...lol

moyashi
Jul 24, 2002, 10:08
hahaha, ohhhh how true. Just flow right by and wham ... somebody else is layiing on their backs :)

Aikido is great, I also think it's a good art for women too. Just enough amount of action and violence but yet the power factor between women and men is pretty much negated allowing a more even playing field.

What's taijutsu?

samuraitora
Jul 24, 2002, 21:55
taijutsu is the hand to hand that the Ninja used.

Aikido is sweet for anyone...big, small, fat, skinny, male, female, young, old...

I have my son learning it...He used it yesterday @ school.
He was being bullied by Jacob. This nasty little boy who's parents need to be slapped and tought how not to raise a child. The boy was hitting Jonathan, my son, and he grabbed his wrist and flipped him into a table...keep in mind my son is big but only 3.

We talked to him and explained that you only use it as a last resort. He told the teacher 3 times earlier when Jacob was hitting him, to no avale. He finally had enough. I was proud of the fact that he never hit him back and only did it as a last resort.

Think I am right in my thinking???

thomas
Jul 24, 2002, 22:57
It's highly satisfying to hear that bullies get their share too. Your son's very courageous, John!
:)

samuraitora
Jul 25, 2002, 02:21
thank you

moyashi
Jul 25, 2002, 09:05
I wish my parents had me learning aikido when I was young.
It would've saved me the black eye I got from a girl in 4th grade.

Father told me to never hit a girl. SO I got it. I came hoem with a shiner and he got upset, he asked,"what happened to the other guy? Did you fight back and what not?" I just answered, "it was a girl dad .... " .... was his reply.

I think your on the right track.

@taijutsu
cool, so you've learned how to attack the attack with an attack.

samuraitora
Jul 25, 2002, 23:17
LOL...Taijutsu is the hardest I have learned...Too many calculations and what ifs that you have to make and take into concideration...woof

moyashi
Jul 26, 2002, 09:27
wow,

I bet though that it's easier to learn ninjitsu in the states than it is in Japan. I haven't found a ninja teacher yet.

Although, my friend and I are considering taking up Aikido again. Problem is that we're busy teaching and the times for the lessons are while we're teaching.

I need to get my balance and flexibility back before I get too much older.

Harvey
Jul 26, 2002, 23:02
Living, work, culture is interesting, have Japaanese friends.

Too lazy to make a sentence ;)

samuraitora
Jul 26, 2002, 23:56
I agree about the balance and flexibility...I just started another class and talking to my wife about having Jonathan Join in a year or so...they have a kids Aikido class. It is soo cute to see these little kids tossing each other around...very funny.

One thing I have noticed about the kids in the class is that they are under control and have no problems either in school or home...I am a firm believer in the martial arts.

deborah gormley
Jul 27, 2002, 09:03
Ahhh!!!! martial arts

I done judo for a life time (ages 12-24)and it was the best thing that ever happened to me, I was never a timid or weak person but this was a true passion of mine, I would train 3 nights a week for 4-5 hours a night(my parents said it was tension relief lol) I was totally in heaven, no one got seriously hurt and I was getting out built up emotion at the same time, I progressed to 2nd Dan, them I was due to get married and the onset of parent hood ect set in, and I was forced by parents and future husband to slow down and get ready for the "Mother roll" (which didnt happen for another 3 years) and I slowed down to the point of stopping, which might I add was the point in my live that I belived that I should stop all this physical sport and become a so called "lady of leisure"..... I regret allowing myself to be judged as a woman and not as an indivual... now as a Mother I do not have the time for any physical sport or time to watch any kind of sport, but hopefully some day I will resume my passion as once before and live as I once did, a strong indivual, self aware woman with inner strenghts that are known and not used to run a house hold,,,,, Ahhh well,, maybe some-day:bow:

moyashi
Jul 28, 2002, 18:52
ahhhhh, watch out for mommy. When she's angry she flips you through the air ..... wahhahaha ... sorry I couldn't help myself. hmm... not just referring to the kids here eh!

Dam, Debs a 2nd Degree in Judo. Wow, did you follow Yawara-chan during the olympics?

ugh, now I really want to take up Aikido, even more.

mssvasan
Jul 29, 2002, 01:40
I am fond of languages. My son one day told me Hei why don't you learn
Jaspanese I think that is a good idea. That was way back in l992. To
my surprise I found out that the Japanese classes were right in front of my house in Madras (now Chennai) hardly l00 feet away. I find the language very interesting. I am wedded to it and can't leave it. I am now in Bombay (now Mumbai). I joined the classes here and under able
teachers" guidance got through san kyuu. I am now reading historical
novels by Shi Ba Ryou taro. (Hope it is corect).mssvasan

deborah gormley
Jul 29, 2002, 07:15
@ Moyashi,,lololol :blush: I trained mostly with men(and my 6 brothers at home hehe),hence the need to be quick and accurate, but the enjoyment of the work outs was the best for me, the actual competitions and gradeings seemed to be just part of the course,

moyashi
Jul 29, 2002, 09:19
@debs ... I feel sorry for your husband ;)

@ mssvasn
wow, that's great.

hehehe ... "hei" ... that's funny mixing Japanese with English? I do it sometimes too when chatting with friends from home. I forget that I can't mix the languages. :)

Microage97
Jul 30, 2002, 01:21
Hi,

I am learning Japanese because I have always wanted to live in Japan and now because of my wife is Japanese.

Dave

samuraitora
Jul 30, 2002, 02:46
@ Microage97
I can't think of a better reason that those.

@ Moyashi
If I ever get to Japan, I will look you up and we can have a beer and throw each other around...lol

vulcanmeister
Jul 30, 2002, 07:40
Hi,
This is my first post. I am learning Japanese because:
1. I have always been interested in Japanese culture
2. Learning about other languages is fascinating.
3. I like Japanese music (Spitz, Miki Imai,etc) and want to understand the words.
4. My son wants to go to Japan someday and live.

My son and I are just beginning our study. We are using the Pimsleaur Japanese I tapes right now. We both have learned Hiragana. He is ahead of me though. He already knows Katakana and has started learning Kanji. I am just starting on Katakana. We like to watch anime, listen to music, and watch Japanese movies (we watch The Blind Samurai series every week)!
It is sometimes challenging teaching ourselves but we are commited to study every day! It is nice to be able to see how others have learned and to get helpful information so we may improve our study. Glad I found this forum!

moyashi
Jul 30, 2002, 10:08
@samuraitora
you got yourself a deal there :)

@vulcanmeister
yoroshiku,

wow, that's any interesting way to bond with your son!!! Great!!
gee, and I thought playing catch was the typical way but studying together and watching same types of shows. dam, I'm impressed!

cheers

samuraitora
Jul 30, 2002, 22:37
@ vulcanmeister
douzo yoroshiku
welcome and enjoy your stay...this is one of the best places on the net.

@ moyashi
Where are you in Japan, Sapporo???

moyashi
Jul 31, 2002, 18:45
Yep, Sapporo. East side if you can call it that. About 15 minutes to the congestion clogged downtown.

Sapporo is pretty special for a city. Within city limits we have 3 ski jumps and 3 or 4 ski resorts (errr slopes). So, if you use the big TV tower (like the one in Tokyo or Osaka) as the center of downtown, it's only a 20 minute drive to ski areas, at most.

Sapporo cheats though and adds land that's like an hour away from the Tower. So, city acerage and population is a bit padded.

samuraitora
Jul 31, 2002, 22:10
Sapporo sounds cool...do you ski???
I have never been on a pair of skis...thought about it a few times though.

moyashi
Aug 1, 2002, 09:17
yeah, I ski and play ice hockey too. Sapporo is one of the most popular cities to work in Japan for foreignors. Of course, Tokyo and Osaka are great but if you love to live a healthy active life, Sapporo is a great city.

We even have horse ranches not too far away either. A bit further South of Sapporo are several famous ranches that breds and trains horses.

We have everything except Taco Bell :(

deborah gormley
Aug 1, 2002, 10:19
wow moyashi that places sounds like my dream home,, ranches and ski slopes,, lolol if only, if only,, well when I go there I'l let you know and we will have loads of fun, the two men can go to the local pub(you and my husband) and the two women can go to the slopes,then to the ranches,,,, we will both need a baby sitter!!! can you organise that?? lololol..

somebody pinch me!!!the day i get to japan there will be a hugh celebration,,,

moyashi
Aug 1, 2002, 22:06
yes, it's really a nice city in general.

lol ... of course! I'd love to have the chance to get out of the house :)

grooveallaturca
Aug 17, 2002, 21:27
hmmm why did I start to learn japanese? i suppose cause of people whom are not stopping saying that i do look like a japanese person. Not kidding. I thought it would be easier for me to learn japanese lol

Anyway I had courses for 6 months, just on the saturdays; but stopped the courses before more than 2 years -i am now working on saturdays too and unfortunately there is no courses on sundays, I am trying to do my best not to forget what I have learnt, but not sure if I would be able.

samuraitora
Aug 28, 2002, 21:57
No Taco Bell??? I couldn't live there ... LOL

moyashi
Aug 30, 2002, 23:15
No taco Hell, no Carl's Jr., No Wendy's, No Burger King, No Subway up in Sapporo.

No subway sucks big time let me tell you!!!

samuraitora
Aug 31, 2002, 02:27
I thought that most large Japanese cities had the normal American fast-food chains there...I am really shocked that there is no Burger King.

How do they deal with no Subway???...lol

moyashi
Aug 31, 2002, 17:26
We do have a subway as in public transportation, but not one dang blasted NY Deli style shop .... this sucks the most about Sapporo, outside of the horrible streets in winter. Otherwise, it's a great city to live in.

Now, if I were in Osaka ... subway at least once a month that's for sure .... ughhhhhhhhh

samuraitora
Sep 5, 2002, 05:04
I have a Subway across the street from my house. 2 doors down from that is a great Japanese restaurant. "Tokyo Sushi and Grill".

Very nice

moyashi
Sep 5, 2002, 10:31
:box:

miyuki
Sep 5, 2002, 22:05
We have a subway and Wendy's but Burger king.

our subway
It is \200 for one station(3-5 minutes).
I think it is expensive.Isn't it?:)

miyuki
Sep 5, 2002, 22:09
tashika ni...bimyo.....dakedo....

Maciamo
Sep 5, 2002, 22:40
No taco Hell, no Carl's Jr., No Wendy's, No Burger King, No Subway up in Sapporo.

No subway sucks big time let me tell you!!!

What's Taco Bell ? What's Carl's Jr. ? I thought that Burger King withdrew of Japan because the competition was to strong (MOS burger, Freshness Burger and of course MacDonald and its green tea menu :confused: )

I've never been to Wendy's, but I go almost everyday to Subway to meet my students (eventhough I never buy anything...:relief: there are too many good sushi and ramen-ya around :ramen: )

moyashi
Sep 6, 2002, 00:19
Taco Bell aka Taco Hell is a fast food chain for Americanized mexican tacos and burritos.

Carl's Jr. is a cross between a family restaurant and Burger King. Really good burgers and onion rings.

samuraitora
Sep 7, 2002, 02:54
Originally posted by Maciamo

are too many good sushi and ramen-ya around)

I wish that there were more places like that around me...I can't think of a single ramen-ya, although there are a few good sushi places though

moyashi
Oct 8, 2002, 01:19
LA and San Francisco have some shops that errrr can pass for ramen.

;)

Hoyu
Nov 17, 2002, 02:58
Well... we talked about George... you remember... the "Gaijin language snob. (http://forum.japanreference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1000&highlight=george)" And I don't want to be categorized as the polar opposite of George, because I am not snobbish, but I must admit that I have been married to my Japanese wife for over eight years now (living in the USA) and I have neglected to become fluent in Nihon-go. Oh... I have traveled to Japan several times, and even lived there for three months (the Summer of '94 (http://forum.japanreference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1016)), but I have never mastered reading, writing or even speaking the language. There is a part of me that really wants to learn Japanese, but there is a greater part that appears to have no pressing motivation to do so.

gariben
Feb 9, 2003, 15:41
I'm learning Japanese because I want to be able to speak all the major Asian languagaes (Chinese, Korean and Japanese)

ragedaddy
Feb 18, 2003, 10:57
I am learning Japanese, because I would like to do business between Japan and America, and also I always wanted to become bilingual. I was studying back in the States about 3 years ago, and at that time our teacher gave our class this introduction to studying in Japan. I always wanted to study abroad, and so this was the perfect opportunity. However, before I went to Japan, I basically had no knowledge of it what-so-ever, and I didn`t even know the word Konnichiwa(sad huh?). However, I got a taste of a culture that was a lot different than mine, and I basically fell in love with the language, culture, and People. Therefore, I am back here in Tokyo, trying my best to get this language down. :ramen:

Joanna
Feb 21, 2003, 19:51
I'm moving to Japan in April to become an English teacher. I don't need to be able to speak it for the job, but I want to be able to speak to everyone else!

I've only just started though, so have a lot of work to do before I go.... luckily I have a good teacher and some good books.

georget98
Mar 9, 2003, 22:21
I suppose it started when I was about 10 years old (I'm 56 now). I read an article in Popular Electronics magazine about Akihabara. I was an electronics and gadget nut then and still am.

From that point I was always interested in going to Japan "someday."

In 1996 I saw someone wearing geta in a magazine and a couple things happened: My interest in Japan woke from hibernation, I started wondering if Akihabara still existed [Yes!], and I wanted a pair of geta:)

Well, it turns out you can't just drive over to Payless Shoes and pick up a pair in the sandal department, so I went and posted a message on alt.soc.japan.

I got a couple helpful replies and now 6 years later:
- speak Japanese well enough to be understood (too bad I can't understand the answers...)
- own enough geta to hold a small festival
- have been to Japan, including Akihabara, twice

Not bad for a 1 year subscription to a magazine

:victory:

Now if I could just find a good bowl of ramen on Cape Cod :ramen:

matshelge
Mar 12, 2003, 10:53
Mostly for understanding anything in japanese (movies, anime, Jrock) .. and to show off..

Chipi
Mar 12, 2003, 19:48
..for the huge interest I have on everything concerning japanese culture, for the possible studying/working period I will have in Japan, to be able to speak with japanese people and hopefully make some japanese friends (would be fun!)...Iエm 100% certain that knowing japanese language doesnエt bring anything else but good things with it.

..It would be kind of cool to work for relations between Finland and Japan..embassy perhaps :P

Keiichi
Mar 17, 2003, 04:01
Originally posted by Chipi
..for the huge interest I have on everything concerning japanese culture, for the possible studying/working period I will have in Japan, to be able to speak with japanese people and hopefully make some japanese friends (would be fun!)...Iエm 100% certain that knowing japanese language doesnエt bring anything else but good things with it.
Sounds like my reasons. Though also I'd like to enjoy more Japanese mangas and Jpop by being able to understand them on the fly.

Agi86
Mar 20, 2003, 05:28
Hi all,
I'm new here, from Europe(Hungary). I learn Japanese in my high school, so I came here, but I don't know you all. :(
I learn Japanese in my high school. This is my favourite language. It's very interesting, I think. I began to learn Japanese because here you can not so much hear about Asia, but I'd like to know all... I like the Japanese people soo much, please if you can, write me...
Thank you! :)) Arigatou gozaimasu !!

Andy
Jul 24, 2003, 22:33
I'm learn Japanese as my wife is Japanese and I'm now living in Japan
I started when I first meet my wife, but I and a bad study and let it slip, now I'm in Japan wishing I had worked harder at it...

Now I have a pressing need to learn, as it's hard to live in a country where you don't speak the lingo. I want to get the most out of my time here.

I used to do Aikido too (back in NZ), I really enjoyed Aikido, but I stopped training as I reached the stage where my sensei was telling me I needed to train more often and take it seriously if I want to get higher gradings. I didn't want to commit that much time to training and miss out on family time.

philupthetank86
Jul 27, 2003, 12:07
IIIIIIIIIII got introduced into japanese through dragon ball z, i heard trunks say something in japanese and i was hooked, japanese is the coolest sounding langauge to me, and german is the second.

blockhar
Jul 27, 2003, 23:36
well, im learning japanese because i had a friend who introducded me and i then became fasinated with the language and culture. i then wanted to go abroad before i left school and i wanted to go to china, since my great grandfather is chinese (wanted to know about my ancestorys culture) but wasnt allowed because i played football so i decided on Japan, and from then i have been learning. I have a year under my belt and since i have one more semester before i graduate, i am taking another japanese course and thinking about moving to Japan for good. i think because i tired of the american life, i think i can have more fun, enlightment, and opportunites in japan.

Jamaata

budd
Aug 1, 2003, 01:40
bad experiences with american women (if they fine, they flaky), good experiences with NATIVE asian
there are SO MANY encounters i've missed out on, because i couldn't read signals (or speak the language) properly over there :(

ben0a4
Aug 1, 2003, 06:18
1th and main reason , women :rolleyes:

i wish to live there , maybe take on some exchange project
doesn't hurt to start learning japanese early on
i actually bought a studybook

:smoke:

orchid
Aug 3, 2003, 05:40
I learn Japanese because I find the language and its culture are interesting . I'm the young generation of my family . My family had relation with Japan's military during WWII in South East Asia . My family was rescued from capture of the French . We were offered protection and installed back to our home.

Yuya
Aug 9, 2003, 20:05
I'm learning it because I'm interested in Japan and I wanna make new friends ^^

ViciousBrutality
Aug 10, 2003, 11:08
I'm learning because I'm just interested. I like the language, culture, and all that stuff. I would love to travel to Japan one day. Maybe I'll move there and be a gainjin. Sounds good to me.

Gackt's Twin Fan
Aug 11, 2003, 07:30
I want to learn it so I can understand what all of the songs are saying so I don't have to look up it up on the enternet.

Matsuyuu
Aug 14, 2003, 02:19
I'm interested in Japanese because I love Asian culture (in general) and I'm especially interested in Japanese culture/language. I don't think learning Japanese so you can read the original manga or watch original anime is a good enough reason, but, hey, who am I to judge? :)

maji
Aug 15, 2003, 18:40
actually i dont know why im that interested with japan. its just that when i was uncontent with the job i had at a design company a friend of mine told me to study japanology since im interested in japan for a longer time and thus it seems right. so i started studying that.
but i still dont know why im actually interested in japan. i guess im just an intuitive person and if i have the feeling that i should so something i do it.

kaz
Sep 6, 2003, 06:46
Hello. I want to take a survey like the one posted here, but I will be wanting to have a break down by gender, age, and so on. Is it possible to do that here on this site?

I did not think so, so I am now working on a form on my website. I hope you can all help me.

I just need to write an essay on why people study Japanese. Thank you.

MtoM
Sep 7, 2003, 04:13
I want to learn japanese cuz i want to anderstand animes and video games that many of them are japanese(take an example:detective conan)
and also i want to make a frindship with some japanese people
an.. maybe someday i'll visit japan..i wonder..

CANON
Sep 14, 2003, 13:02
I'm studying japanese at university, maybei will live and work in japan someday..

Carolgirl00
Sep 17, 2003, 09:57
I'm learning it because I find the language itself very intriguing and I plan on visiting Japan soon. It's pretty much been my lifelong dream to visit. =D (I haven't lived too long though. haha)

okashii77
Oct 23, 2003, 06:29
Hello all,

I joined this forum a while back, and I visit every once in a while, but I usually do not bother posting. I guess that I have been busy...
Anyway, I am studying Japanese because I studied Asian cultures and societies in college, and I fell in love with MOST things Japanese. I like the way the language sounds, and I believe that kanji and kana are beautiful; that is probably why I can remember them well even though I am in the US.
Anyway, I intend to return to Japan (I did a brief stint there as an English teacher), and I really would like to avoid the "eikaiwa arena"
Since I will not be returning for a number of years, I plan to be fluent by the time I DO return. I also plan on developing my Chinese so that I am fluent in that as well. The difficult thing is studying Chinese and Japanese at the same time...talk about confusing!!
I am MOSTLY studying Japanese because I want a career in languages, and Japanese is one of the major ones, especially considering the fact that I want to live there...

My plan is to perfect my Japanese, then do the same with my Chinese, and take up Korean.

Anyway, I also am crazy abt Asian women...

teru2xbouzu
Oct 24, 2003, 17:37
i got 4 specific reasons which stated above :

- I want to talk to my Japanese friends or make some new ones
- To read the manga or understand the anime
- For the video games
- I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc

anjuliet-san
Oct 25, 2003, 07:54
Ive always been interested in anything Japanese :) and I would love to be able to communicate with my Japanese friend and read Japanese *she sent me a book written by Toshiaki Karasawa and it's all in Japanese* :confused:

NotAPrettyGirl
Oct 30, 2003, 13:56
I live in Japan.

samuraitora
Oct 30, 2003, 21:46
I envy you, but wonder a little about your nic, NotAPrettyGirl.

Uncle Frank
Oct 31, 2003, 00:11
Hey, you found this forum and joined; You are a beautiful person !

Frank

Coolguy
Oct 31, 2003, 00:15
If I only knew where I could learn... *sighs*

:(

samuraitora
Oct 31, 2003, 00:57
@CoolGuy
do you have a pretty good grasp on english? If so, there is a post in here, inwhich I need to find the link to, with a ton of links in it. I will find it for ya.

samuraitora
Oct 31, 2003, 01:03
Here is the link to the thread with some good links in it.

http://forum.japanreference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4886

Coolguy
Oct 31, 2003, 01:28
Thanks alot. And I have a quite comprehensive knowledge of English.
I live in Belgium and here we have 4 mandatory languages to learn: Dutch, French, English & German. phew -_-

samuraitora
Oct 31, 2003, 02:35
You have manditory languages??? That, in my personal opinion, is great!!!

Coolguy
Oct 31, 2003, 03:17
Let's see... in Belgium there are 3 spoken languages: Dutch, French & German.
Dutch is the language of some more than 70% of the people here, 25%or so French and the rest speak German.
I live in Flanders so Dutch is my primary language. We start learning French in the 5th grade. English in the 7th grade & German in the 10th (altough it used to be the 9th).

But I wish we got to chose wich language to take with it. If I could I would replace the German with some other language. In most other countrys people get to choose one language, we don't.

And anybody who studys Latin here will know 6 languages by the time he graduates O.o (Dutch, French, English, German, Latin & Greek)

samuraitora
Oct 31, 2003, 03:52
WOW!!!

Coolguy
Oct 31, 2003, 05:42
My teacher once said that it's unique in the world so I guess he must have been right.
But I still don't like it tough :(

samuraitora
Oct 31, 2003, 22:05
I suppose I wouldn't like it either if it were forced upon me...kinda like not getting a promotion or having to take a demotion...*wink*

Coolguy
Nov 1, 2003, 00:28
Lol :)

candypop
Nov 1, 2003, 04:11
I'm learning Japanese because i love the language, the culpture, the style (in clothing and tech), the animes..... {and the list goes on}

I want to live there when i get older, well at least that's what i want to to.

V.I.B
Nov 4, 2003, 12:46

Originally posted by Moyashi
I wish my parents had me learning aikido when I was young.
It would've saved me the black eye I got from a girl in 4th grade.

Father told me to never hit a girl. SO I got it. I came hoem with a shiner and he got upset, he asked,"what happened to the other guy? Did you fight back and what not?" I just answered, "it was a girl dad .... " .... was his reply.

lololol.. :D Sorry.. This was a rather old post but Moyashi-san, it's real funny.. Couldn't help laughing out loud when I read this paragraph.. (@@||b)

I didn't know I can vote for more than one choice~!! (><||n) I voted for one option and only much later discover I was allowed to vote for more.. but it was a little too late.. The system refused to let me vote again.. :bawling:

Ok~ I wanted to learn the Japanese language coz I am interested in the Japanese culture, the language itself, to be able to communicate with my Japanese frens but NOT least, coz I wanted to learn it so that I can read more manga and watch more anime!!! (No, no, no Japanese spouses or children like u guys do.. oh I'm not married in the first place.. hmm, now I am starting to think maybe I should look for a Japanese spouse.. lolol.. then I will probably get a free tutor.. :evil: )

On a more serious note, I have to say I can't remember what really got me interested in the language though. Think it all started with some Japanese drama and next thing I knew got influenced by my frens into this whole manga and anime thingy (a very takai hobby btw) and before I knew it got addicted on jrock, bl games and drama cds as well.. :smoke: My live history..

I have to say though I'm very keen on getting to understand the language, I dun seem to be getting a grasp on it.. Blame my procrastinating genes and limited memory space in my brain.. :sick: Used to take Jap classes in school but basically returned it all to my sensei the moment I stepped out of class.. I can understand everything in class but the moment out of class.. well, basically it's learn fast forget faster, which explain why I call myself a V.I.B ~~very important baka-chan~ :rolleyes: Okay, the list goes on like how I thought that by reading more manga and watching more anime I could at least improve my reading skills but halfway thru with the help of a Taiwanese fren switched over to reading the chinese translated ones and there goes my plan.. Only thing I gained from I fell in love with the chinese language as well.. ~~" (Use to think it was a difficult language)

As for visiting Japan, yes, one of these days I will do so but that will be many years down the road coz at this very moment, ichi doru mo arimasen :shock:

Eagle
Nov 5, 2003, 23:05
Ginichiwa :clap:

Its Sam from Australia,
Started with me getting interested in the Japanese culture and people, Now im thinking of learning Japanese so I can come and work next year in Japan as Software and system developer....

I have a friend who is helping me with Japanese, we go out for some lessons and she is doing a good job..
So wish me luck with my quest for a new language....

Lo~ki
Nov 11, 2003, 21:30
I'm kind of new here. Heheheh. :)
Wow, so many different stories why people chose to learn Japanese! Mine probably isn't too interesting. I was forced to learn it. Not that I minded in the least! But it was part of my school's program, every one in primary year levels learnt Japanese. I discovered I was good at languages, and I really enjoyed learning it. ;)
Then when we got to secondary year levels, we had a choice of four languages, and we had to choose two. I chose to go on with Japanese, and pick up Indonesian (thus i ditched the idea of french and german which were the other two languages). Again, when we reached year 9, we had another choice. This time, we could go on with both languages, drop one, or drop both. Unfortunately, I had to move schools at this point. My new school only offered Chinese or German. I picked up neither. :(
So now I've been self teaching myself, with help from a friend who still learns Japanese, and try keeping myself in practice for both Japs and Indon. Japs more so, as I don't have the same intrest in Indonesia.
I plan to take up classes again, although that won't happen for at least another twelve months. :happy:

EscaFlowne
Nov 17, 2003, 23:12
I want to learn the language cuz:::

I love it. [it just sounds good]
for the girls [duh!]
and for anime [yea!]
and because one day i'm gonna visit, now for how long is another story.:cool:

Mayura
Nov 18, 2003, 18:37
I am "learning" japanese cause I want to travel to Japan one day, and so that I can understand Anime and Manga! ^^ and I also just want to... haha... and I also want to be able to speak to some japanese ppl Iknow!

Porl
Nov 20, 2003, 03:26
I started 'attempting' to learn japanese because the girl i've been seeing has gone to Japan for a year teaching english. I'm going to go over to visit next year and i think it would be cool to know how to say some things in japanese in case i get a little lost and stuff...i'll be travelling on my own.

I've wanted to learn japanese since i first got into Manga and Anime when i was in secondary school but never properly looked it up.

Now i've started reading the lessons on japanese-online...and i've been picking up random words from any place i can. :)

I've having fun learning something new!

Porl''

Eelco
Nov 22, 2003, 16:21
I did judo when I was a kid (must admit the only sports I participate in now is watching them on tv), but I never made the connection between judo and Japan. We never used Japanese terms.

But when I was a teenager I read James Clavell's Shogun, and that set me off... memorizing the few Japanese words in the book (not knowing anything about how to pronounce them of course), and it got me hungry for more. I decided to study Japanese at the university.

Like Coolguy, in Holland English, French and German are mandatory, with Dutch being the native language of course. Latin and ancient Greek are also given at the highest level of high school and at some high schools you can also choose Spanish. But Asian languages or cultures aren't taught in schools here... if you want to learn anything about them, you need to go to the university.

I've spent 2 years in Japan now, and I can hold my own in Japanese... though specialist words and complex conversations are still way beyond my abilities :(

marcel
Nov 23, 2003, 04:51
:blush:
kara wakarimasen:eek:

lita hayata
Nov 23, 2003, 22:53
- i have some relatives in japan, and my father moved there
- my friends in brazil are i/ni/sansei, or descendant
(and are studying too)
- i want to visit japan, really love the culture

sooo... :)

keitaro_916
Nov 24, 2003, 19:25
no reason just very cool langauge

King of Tokyo
Dec 12, 2003, 05:30
Im learning japanese cuz i like everything about japan and the japanese culture:clap:

Mrs. Camui
Dec 13, 2003, 10:29
Japanese sounds great and it's so nice to learn the writing system. I'm also interested in Chinese, mainly because of the same reasons. But Japanese is more simple because once you know hiraganas it'll get much easier. This language just need to be adored. :)

justin
Dec 21, 2003, 05:41
i'm learning Japanese since it is my dream to teach English in Japan.

MikeM
Dec 30, 2003, 07:33
I'm 14... I've been interested in it for awhile. It strikes people strangely when I tell them that I am not a big fan of anime and only a small video game player but I want to learn it because I am basically just interested in the culture mainly.

jii
Dec 30, 2003, 13:56
Although I live in the US, there are many Japanese ex pats in the symphony that my (Japanese) girlfriend and frequent. After awhile I noticed that when she was around them her personality complete changed. Normally she is very exactly in her mannerisms and speach. We're both scientists and I'd say she acted like a scientist, but when she was speaking Japanese she was a different person. No longer stern and exacting, but light, friendly etc. After talking with her about it and reading many things, I learned that people who are bi-lingual tend to have a personality for each language they know. (I'm not an expert on this, so take this with a grain of salt.) She also pointed out that when I spend time (and hence talk) with my Italian family, I become quite different also. I decided that to truly know her I had to know both personalities and so I'd have to learn Japanese.

Ashen
Dec 31, 2003, 09:23
I've been interested in Japan and the culture for such a long time that it seems I have been waiting forever to go in 10th grade.Anime is what originally caught my eye but now I really don't read or watch that much about it instead I find myself searching for things about the culture or language.The Japanese language is hard but that's another reason it's so interesting.So after that senseless rambling basically what I was saying is I want to learn Japanese in hopes of going there some day soon and also just a common curiosity in the culture and way of life.

Zentai
Jan 1, 2004, 21:38
I am 1/4 japanese and my girlfriend is japanese. As you can see in my signature! ^^

George L.
Jan 9, 2004, 07:59
I have always been interested in Japan...not really sure why...I have no decendants or really close friends that are Japanese, but I have always had that facination. As I grew older my facination increased as well as became more focused. Before it was just a general facination that a lot of children have (anime and such), but now I find I am not only interested in the language, but the culture and history behind Japan. I had a Japanese foreign exhange student stay w/ me last year that was rather unplanned which pulled me even deeper into the wonders of the Japanese culture and lifestyle. I have continued to keep in touch and ever since tried to learn Japanese. Unfortunetely I have been very busy with school (first year of college) and work and have not had the time necessary to study as I wish I could. I just found out that Minako (the exchange student) will be coming down this spring to visit me once again. This has renewed my efforts to learn Japanese. I am currently teaching myself but have found that rather difficult so I am in the process of finding myself a Japanese tutor that will be able to help me. This will also help keep me on track (I'm a terrible procrastinator :) ) and hopefully speed up my progress. I don't expect to be able to speak Japanese by the time she gets here, but I would at least like to of mastered the basic concept of the language by that time.

I am very happy that I have found this site and found it as easily as I did...I decided to look for some type of forum today where people interested in Japan talked, and it seems I have found one beyond my wildest dreams. I think that it is great that you have put together this great site for people that share this common interest. Thank you! Or should I say arigato? :) Anyway, just wanted to put in my two cents. Thanks again!

-George
Orlando, FL

P.S. If anyone knows of place for a tutor / teacher in my area for Japanese I would greatly appreciate it...I have been searching on the web without much luck so far. Next I might put an ad at a college or something, but if anyone has any insight I would be much obliged.
Thanks!

Sailor Shadow
Jan 15, 2004, 21:23
It's true. I've been trying to learn Japanese to understand the Manga and the Anime. *^^* I realized a few days ago; when a friend of mine commented, "You've been at it for how long?" that March will be two years since I started. @_@; In that time, I've visited other boards, used websites and both a pocket Dictionary and an online dictionary, as well as a printed out set of kana charts... but just browsing this site, I think the people are the most friendly that I've seen anywhere and don't think too little of you for not being the same level nor learning as fast. I get excited when I realize that I have memorized something or that I can read a sentence. It's nice to find a place where stupid jokes, comments, and opinions don't make you look any less serious than the next person.

I remember being interested in anything Japanese since I was little, but it's only recently that I wanted to learn the language. I do want to go to Japan one day and feel rather jealous of my friends who have gone. ;_;

It's been... listening to Anime Music and J-Pop/J-Rock that's sent to me or I download... and watching subbed and raw Anime or shows that I can basically immerse myself in the language.

However, had I been able to do that with Spanish in 9th Grade, I think it might have actually worked. ^^; I still barely remember anything from 9th Grade Spanish. ^_^; I will agree on the idea of Mandatory Languages I saw. I think it would be a great idea! I remember how to count to 10 in Spanish because my mom taught me when I was little. I was able to build on my counting ability, but couldn't pick much else up by 9th Grade. If you learn basics when you're younger it becomes easier to expand on that knowledge as you get older. I think if I'd have learned at least a little/some basic Japanese when I was little, I might have an easier time with it now. I also have to find ways of teaching myself which means I get to use the Internet to learn a language! *^^* Fun! Wasn't really fun trying to locate all the sites I have bookmarked now, but I willingly share the links I have with anyone who wants them because I remember how hard it was to find them!

I still find it amazing that my friends who are just starting to learn the language refuse to listen to me, however... I tell them what I think would be easier or best to do first to make it easier on them later and they don't bother even trying. ^^;; Such as, "When just starting out, I think you should learn the pronunciations and memorize the kana before you do anything else. Learning the wrong things now will make it harder to unlearn it later when you find that it's not correct." And still they would rather build vocabulary or try and learn kanji before they even know how to say the words properly. *sigh* Ah well, I'll keep trying. ^^;

I also bug a friend of mine who took three years of Japanese in High School to be my "Online Sensei" since I'm trying to practice sentence structure... Maybe I'm glad there's no Japanese Classes around here... O_o; If he's that confused after 3 years, maybe learning on my own is a good idea. ^_^;;;

And now I'm going to post because I've rambled now for about an hour. o_O;;

-Jessica

SacredBlue
Jan 18, 2004, 06:58
Let's see..To post my story or to not...Well..Not that anyone will read this, but...

I've never liked Manga or Anime at all..For many reasons that I won't list. I was born in Utah, but grew up in Massachusetts. I bascially grew up in the orchestra my dad worked for. Many of his co-workers were Japanese, even his boss (Seiji Ozawa - now retired). I come from a mormon background (though I'm Christian), so my godfather is mormon, but he's also Japanese. When he found out I was interested in Japanese he always helped me..But now he has moved to live in Kobe
:(So I guess you could say the language was like a seed planted in me when I was young, and is now blooming.

I've been formally studying since last September, 2003 and have been told I'm progressing well. This December I'm hoping to pass the JLPT 2kyuu. I passed the 3kyuu by just a hair, so I figure why not spend a year studying and go for 2? The hardest part for me will easily be the listening comprehension..Grammar & Kanji are my strongpoint, around 6 more months of study and I should have the jouyou kanji down.

As for right now..Twice a week I go to a private Japanese school nearby, and have the head teacher give me lessons. From the start, these lessons have only ever been conducted in Japanese, thus causing me to adapt rather fast. Another Japanese teacher at this school also gives me lessons when the head teacher isn't around. It's funny to watch all the little Japanese kids huddled outside the room watching the white kid speaking their language. I have quite a few Japanese friends who are also more than eager to help teach me..and have lovingly (i think) dubbed me 卵(Tamago - Egg). When I inquired about this strange pseudonym they simply said "Egg. White on outside. Yellow on inside." *cough* sigh..At least it's better than 変な外人

For some reason I find it hard to tell people I'm taking Japanese. As when I do, the typical response is "You must really love anime, huh?" or "You must have a thing for asian chicks!"..It is very dissapointing when a culture is known only for its cartoons and false fantasies about their women. Therefore, the only people who I've told thus far are friends and many of the parents at the Japanese school who find it a mixture of fascination & humor that I can communicate with them. Other than that, I'm not the boasting or flaunting type, so I remain silent..Even if I hear an otaku insist to his friends that 'I love you' in Japanese is 'watashi ai suru anata' *shakes head*. Silence is golden.

Wow I've gone on too long..What people will type when they want to kill a few minutes :blush: Though if anybody did read that I'll gladly answer any questions..

がんばってね!

P.S. I do love talking in Japanese with other people learning it, so e-mail or PM me if you want to chat, or just post here..Doesn't matter.

Seppuku
Jan 18, 2004, 12:22
after reading sacred's story i though i should post mine ( i dont think it will be quite as long though)
when i was 6 or 7 (now 16)me and my family lived on a military base in fallen nevada ( my dads in the navy) we had only been living there for a couple of months when this family moved in across from us. ( there are little small off roads from the main road with four houses on each one) my mom said that they were from japan and i thought japan? whats that. so the whole day while they were moving in i kept making up excessus to go outside just to watch them( i was very intrigued that there were other people in the world besides americans, how closed minded i was..) but by the end of the day i finally went over and talked to there youngest son and we became freinds that day, and our friendship only deepend with time. he and his family introduced me to so many wonderfull japanese things and customs. sometimes we would spend in entire afternoon just talking about what japan was like( he had perfect english) ever since then i have loved almost everything japanese and had wanted to learn japanese but only within the last couple of years have i really started to work hard at that goal, and i still have a long long long way to go but i know i will get there one day. wow writing this has brought back a lot of memories...hope i didnt bore you guys to death haha

Musoka
Jan 19, 2004, 07:49
I am very interested in Japan and its culture, so I am learning the language to learn more about Japan.

I also want to make some japanese friends and I want a japanese girlfriend.

Beatnik
Jan 25, 2004, 03:52
I picked 'I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc' in the poll. Ever since I was a kid I've always been interested in Asia more than any other continent, and so now recently I've found myself reading up on the history of the area more and more. I especially like the history of Japan (the samurai era is a particularly high point). I like the movies, music and books they bring out, I like the landscape of the country, the culture and the people. I hope to travel there one day, and maybe even work and live there if I'm lucky. Plus there's also the fact that learning another language can just be fun and interesting. I'm doing it in my spare time though, nothing intensive like a course. I'm busy with uni right now so its just in the background of my life. One day when things have calmed down I'll enroll on a course but for the meantime I have the internet, anime, J music and library books with dodgy cassettes...

Keeni84
Jan 26, 2004, 05:36
Hey guys! I guess I should reply to this thread, since everyone has such interesting things to say!

Well, as I've mentioned before, I didn't really grow up in the whole Anime/Manga/J-Pop atmosphere. I didn't grow up around Japanese-Americans or Japanese folks, I'm not from a big city with Japanese in it. Of course, I'd seen a few anime's in my day, but it wasn't that deep for me.

I really became interested in Japan when a Japanese exchange student came to my school. She was sweet, funny, kind and so interested in America and American culture. We became good friends and she taught me some of my first Japanese words, while I helped her with her English. We would chill in class, laughing at the teachers, going to parties and having fun. It was so cool. When she left for Japan, she sent me X-Mas cards and we kept in touch over e-mail. She now attends University somewhere in Japan--I have no idea where!

So, I just thought--so many students come to America from all over the world--why don't I just return the favor? I wanted to participate in intercultural/international exchange too, and to bring a little piece of me to other parts of the world.

So, I thought---why not Japan? Too many of our schools only focus on places in Western Europe, teaching only French, German, and Spanish as core languages. I was tired of learning these languages, that give us no variety. So I decided, hey, why not, when I go to college, learn a unique language? Japanese just seemed the perfect way to go!

kakashi
Mar 3, 2004, 04:31
Hi, this is my first post.

My interest in Japanese first sparked with my facination with certain anime and Japanese TV shows. I watched a LOT of it and as I did I began to pick up some of the commonly used phrases of the language (e.g. "nandemo nai", "demo...", "kore wa nan desu ka", "daijoubu", arigatou gozaimasu", etc), a few nouns and verbs and gist of the basic SOV sentence structure. Then, I found a friend had gotten Pimsleur's Japanese I and him and some friends were showing off the few sentences they had learned. I tried that for a while but didn't get very far because I'm a very visual person. I'm better off reading a Japanese grammar book.

But anyway, I've been on and off for about 5 months going at it on my own, unmotivated at times. Hopefully this forum will help that.

Narau
Mar 4, 2004, 02:51
My initial interrest in Japanese was from Japanese-only nintendo rpg games. I had access to quite a few of them, but could not get into them because I could not read Japanese.
That has changed by now. I no longer have much of an interrest in the games, but have an unexplainable desire to get to know the japanese language and culture. All I can say is I'm hooked, and though I can see that it is a long and hard journey, it is one I can only hope I do not fail at. :dance:

kai_sethoris
Mar 4, 2004, 06:43
i want to learn the language . . . but dont no where to start . . . plz help!

Eito
Mar 13, 2004, 10:19
I had never thought of learning Japanese to begin with. I didn't know anything about Japan, and I didn't really care to. When I was a freshman in high school (now I'm a junior) they had a little survey asking which language they should add to the curriculum. I picked the one that sounded the most interesting, that being Japanese. Then, when registering for the next year's courses, I decided that I didn't want to take Spanish. I saw that they had added Japanese to the course schedule, and, being the only other language class, I decided to take it.

So now I'm in my second year of Japanese and I just can't get enough of the language and culture! It all started with a little spark and grew into a roaring fire, I suppose:)

alias_9
Mar 17, 2004, 21:08
not only am in interested in the culture, and making new friends.

but i think that in order for a person to truly grow in life s/he need's to experience and learn from diff culters.

and besides.. i like talking to people :)

BloodRedRamune
Mar 23, 2004, 03:34
I want to learn Japanese and am teaching myself, the reasons are many. First, so I can communicate with my boyfriend in his language for once, second I'd like to teach english in Japan when I grow up (if that ever happens :dance: ), Third I'd like to beable to watch anime without subs, forth it's a lot prettier than english, and fifth, the culture is more interesting than anywhere else I've researched.

Alas: My parental units think that it's a waste of time, oh wait, there's a sixth reason, rebellion. :evil:

Ma Cherie
Mar 25, 2004, 06:25
No reason, really. I just want to be bilingual(did I spell that right?). Anyway, I can speak French too. So, I guess that would make me trilingual. HA!!!

hoodoo
Mar 30, 2004, 07:08
Hi I'm new here. I got into Japanese from buying an anime after reading about it in and old British music paper , the N.M.E..Then I got into the music and wanted to learn Japanese to help me understand lyrics and 'raw' anime.
Er... that was 2 1/2 years ago and am still very keen.Cheers!

Ma Cherie
Mar 31, 2004, 03:14
You know, I discovered that, anime and j-pop are one of the main reasons why people want to learn japanese. :angel:

ax
Apr 18, 2004, 00:45
Speaking another language wouldn't hurt.... if it doesn't take much effort... who wouldn't learn?

ignorati I guess.

ax

sora
May 15, 2004, 08:28
I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.<--..that's what i picked from the poll..^^..but i was alway interested about it's language and culture and maybe i want to teach English in Japan when i'm older[??..-.-]. Also, the music might be another reason. lol...i just bought myself a beginnier's book on how to read and write...but i'm planing to find a language school in my cite and go to it in th esummer ot take lessons..^^..

neofusion
May 31, 2004, 07:47
HELLO! ^_^ I JUST SIGNED UP TODAY! i hope some one that knows japanese can help me out. i would really like to learn japanese. i hope to visit there someday and would love to meet ppl there and be able to talk to them in thier native tounge. anyone interested in helping me?!?

Dan B
Jun 1, 2004, 08:31
I'm studying Japanese for a variety of reasons. I lived in Japan for three years during elementary school, but I didn't put much effort into learning the language (I went to an international school where all the instruction was given in English, so I could get by without knowing a lot of Japanese). So, in part, I'm addressing a regret that I've carried with me for over 20 years.

Also, I'm very seriously considering moving to Japan. I'm a math teacher and I realize that, without native or near-native fluency, I certainly wouldn't be able to teach in any Japanese schools. So I hope to get a job teaching high school mathematics at one of the international schools in Tokyo, Osaka, etc. (This won't be for a couple of years, as I just accepted a job offer at a local high school and have entered into a tacit commitment to stay for several years.) But I suppose that doesn't explain why I'm studying Japanese, eh? Well, having lived as an ignorant gaijin previously, I would rather have at least some ability to speak the language before moving there.

(That won't necessarily not make me an ignorant gaijin...but it's a start!)

Finally, in the meantime I hope to visit Japan (and some friends who live there) at least twice a year. I traveled to Tokyo and Okayama in December and will go to Okayama again in July...and I'd like to be able to talk to people while I'm there, of course! ;-)

It would seem to be a waste to go all that way and then be able to neither express oneself nor understand anyone around you. :erm:

Dan

Hikki Kokurabuji
Jun 6, 2004, 23:24
The reason?
My life is practically full of Japanese-related stuffs (anime, manga, music, samurai, cosplay, etc). Though I live in Malaysia (yes, Hikki has revealed his origin), I have deep desire of staying in Japan even only for a day of two. And yeah, if I get the chance to stay in Japan, I'll ty hard to introduce our Malaysian culture and lifestyle to them (umm... if I really have that chance :p )

You know, I discovered that, anime and j-pop are one of the main reasons why people want to learn japanese

Yes, majority of the people want to learn Japanese simply because of the influential impact anime & J-pop have made. Including me! :bluush:

currently listening to: Heya! (Outkast)

Wakaranai
Jun 8, 2004, 12:31
The Japanese Language is one of the best sounding languages in the world. As a English speaker I am tired of English I find the language not to fun. I have wanted to learn Gaelic but Not that many people speak it and it would not benifit me to learn it. Gaelic is my favorit Wester language. But I have always been a Asian fan. Japanese is my favorit language and It can help me out in life be cause there is a use for it Movies, Manga, order food, Talk to people, And to have a chance to live in Japan for a while and mabey for good if I like it their.

potatoe
Jul 9, 2004, 19:15
i am learning japanese because i want to move there in the near future, i think its only complimentary to learn the native language :bravo:

Faustianideals
Jul 15, 2004, 13:29
I think learning the language would be helpful. :haihai:

Kuro Matsuri
Jul 17, 2004, 03:15
I orginally wanted to learn Japanese for the video games, the manga, and the anime. (Mostly for the video games) Now I'm interested in the culture, I would like to make some Japanese friends, I might like to live there one day, and I don't much like the English language. I have spoken English all my life, yet I think that English is wierd. Does that make me wierd? hmmm... something to think about...

Sinspawne
Jul 19, 2004, 23:21
I'm not quite sure why or when I got so interested in the japanese language.
I have a really hard time learning anything at all, but I will someday master it

well.. "master it" was a little too powerful word.
But optimism never hurt anyone..
right?...

babar-san
Aug 15, 2004, 16:12
i speak conversation japanese, but i need to be fluent in order to attend an animation college in chioda-ku, shinjuku, tokyo. it is a specialized animation college and you should be able to speak "decent" japanese.

seasurfer
Aug 28, 2004, 03:46
Japanese language is a beautiful language. I like the sound especially. On the top of that, I practise Aikido, it helps me to understand the art better, especially the names of those techniqes. Some of my senseis are Japanese, though they can speak English, they are not fluent at it, and it seems that certain things can't be translated into English without losing its original meaning. I like to watch manga and anime too, there are also loads of Japanese resourses on the internet. If I am not wrong, Japanese-language website is ranked third, after English and Chinese. So, there are too many incentives to learn this wonderful language.

Reiku
Aug 29, 2004, 02:01
Well, I've always been interested in Japanese culture...

...ironically it is both the tiniest percentage of my heredity and the only part I'm really interested in.

I've also had an interest in studying the way people communicate, I find that you can learn alot about a person or even an entire civilization by the way they communicate things--so for me learning Nihongo is a good way to gain a deeper understanding of Japanese culture.

kamuizero
Aug 29, 2004, 04:23
Hi, I want to learn Japanese (I'm in classes) because I want to study in Japan in a future, and want to marry a japanese woman, I'm also interested in Japanese culture, I bsolutely love their way of living and of course Japan itself, it's sooo cool!!! :D and g course I want to make japanese friends ;)....

Chaos!

ZellX
Aug 30, 2004, 00:28
i am going and learning the kanji cards very slowly i just started a minute ago and i know 1-5 so far.

RiseLikeARevolution
Aug 30, 2004, 02:58
In the last few months Japan and things to do with Japan have been popping up all over the place.Well about 3 or 4 months ago, I decided to start searching for many Japanese things to see what the fuss was about. I instantly found what I saught in different things like the rising Mangas, the J-Music, and well, fell in love. Of course, many people have been into all this for years, but you have to start some where right? Anyway of course the language caught my attention...so I am hopefully going to find a way to learn it! The school doesnt teach it because I guess not many would take it so I will have to look for some place, but no matter how long it takes I will learn it and I will go to Japan and if I can find a decent job, I will stay there forever!!!!

Okay sorry getting a bit over enthusiastic but when speaking of anything Japanese...I get that way. :)

ZellX
Sep 6, 2004, 12:17
news flash i know now 39 my japanese studdys r going great

carsony
Sep 10, 2004, 13:26
I'll tell the truth . . . i want to learn for the girls . . . they so cute the japanese girls . . .

jampot
Sep 19, 2004, 05:59
Nihongo wo benkyoo shitemasu.....

watashi no namae wa james des......

watashi wa igirisu kara kimashita.........

i don't know much, but i must have patience

seto
Sep 29, 2004, 20:46
Hey I'm new here. I'm an East Asian Studies major and currently have been studying Japanese for little over a year. At first I studied Chinese and only later decided to pick up Japanese as well, thinking I could pick the language easily with my background in Chinese. Boy was I wrong. However I have enjoyed studying Japanese and hope to become at least adequate in the language. I also hope to visit Japan after I graduate college.

Midori
Sep 29, 2004, 21:49
Hey I'm new here. I'm an East Asian Studies major and currently have been studying Japanese for little over a year. At first I studied Chinese and only later decided to pick up Japanese as well, thinking I could pick the language easily with my background in Chinese. Boy was I wrong. However I have enjoyed studying Japanese and hope to become at least adequate in the language. I also hope to visit Japan after I graduate college.

Nice to see you here! :wave:
I study japanese cause i'm interested in j-culture and i plan to live in Japan with my b-f. I also would like to work there as an engineer.

God
Sep 29, 2004, 22:58
I plan to create a new civil order in Japan, and to protect america from further invasion.
MUuahahahhah.

\x/3 0\x/^ ;00

May
Oct 1, 2004, 23:17
Hello~~Everbody!!!
I like Japanese things, it's different. I like manga and Japanese music, that's why I learn Japanese. I'm thinking about doing postgraduate course in Japan, that would be fun~~well that's in the future~~haha~~
If anyone could teach me Japanese that would be great!!!!

Stutz
Oct 10, 2004, 06:02
Blame martial arts. They sparked my interest in the culture back when I was probably 6 or 7 years old. What made me want to learn the language was a unit on Japan back in my 7th grade Social Studies class. After that day, it has been a long time goal of mine to become fluent in the language and learn more about the culture itself. Of course, it has been 9 years before I could take my first class which I've been doing for only 6 weeks now. I had tried self study, but found it rather ineffective and wanted to have a sensei to guide my learning.

To me, learning Japanese has never been about the manga and anime or any Japanese entertainment since I could gain the same amount of entertainment from them using just English.

The same goes for trying to get a Japanese g/f or wife. I wouldn't mind being with a nice Japanese girl, but only if she's my type. I'm not going to go hunt specificly for a Japanese woman since I'd cut down my chances with many women that might be my type.

I realize I have a lot of work to become fluent, but I hope engaging in any speaking opportunity and spending time to learn, I'm sure I'll achieve my goal.

Ma Cherie
Oct 11, 2004, 04:01
I want to learn japanese simply because it's an interesting language. And I like anime and manga.

And among other things as well. ^_^

Gochujang
Oct 12, 2004, 03:26
I am learning Japanese , because I'm interested in Japanese culture, want to talk with my Japanese penpals in Japanese and because I will visit Japan next year... :D

vampmiyavi
Oct 25, 2004, 09:41
Because the language is awesome, I wont have to worry about translation and subtitles, and I can talk to my Japanese friends in Japanese ^.^

oh...and because im going to be moving there in a few years ><

zeroyon
Oct 27, 2004, 15:32
I am studying japanese because I am going to (HOPEFULLY) study abroad there next year for 8 months, and if not... the year after next year. Also, for a reason Midori has as well, I am an engineering major (mech. engineering) and I hope to find a job in japan after I graduate that deals with engineering. I also enjoy anime, japanese music, japanese tv, japanese cars, japanese food... well... i guess I like a lot of stuff japanese :-)

Kamisama
Nov 8, 2004, 12:39
I recently thought of another really good reason to learn Japanese. I could become a tutor and make a nice wad of cash in my spare time, or I could start a language class in a college and be a teacher. I was thinking about this last night and these are other good reasons to learn it. But in all, this is somewhat of a test for me, a test for me to become great at something. I figure if I can learn japanese, other languages such as french and spanish shouldn't even be hard.

december
Nov 8, 2004, 14:04
Hmm... I don't think that Japanese sounds as beautiful as French or Italian. But I am learning the language because I have business in Japan and I think I can accomplish my goals much easier if I can speak the language.

countess_d
Nov 15, 2004, 04:55
Many reasons...

Well, I admit it mainly started with manga, I want to read and understand it, then it was added to anime, movies, actual books, newspapers, anything! I've allways loved languages, so I figured, why not Japanese? I have Japanese penpals so it would also be good to talk to them, and considering I would like to travel to Japan someday then it would also be good to learn Japanese because of that :D Plus I love all culture-related issues and history, and I like to learn history by the main language of the country it happened if possible (Yes, I'm odd :relief: ). So as you can see... many reasons.
I started Korean for the same reasons, never got too far though :D

ベ-ネ
Nov 17, 2004, 05:13
there are different reasons why i'm learning japanese.
1. I'me interested in Japan
2. i'd like to travel there
3. i wish a japanese girlfriend, 'cause i like japanese women most.

Fantt
Nov 17, 2004, 05:40
I've always been interested in Japanese culture and history, and I think learning a new language will help keep my brain cells stimulated. I'd also like to do some travelling to Japan, and would even like to get a job which will require me to speak some Japanese.

Itachi
Nov 18, 2004, 17:09
can any1 help me learn japanese plz of so u can talk 2 me on [email protected] plz i realy want 2 know how plz

CorDarei
Nov 18, 2004, 17:32
can any1 help me learn japanese plz of so u can talk 2 me on [email protected] plz i realy want 2 know how plz

Maybe if you spoke English, or at least some actual language, we could help.

(Ok, normally I don't mind netspeak that much, but there ARE limits. This isn't AIM or MSN, you have plenty of time to type out the entire word.) :crab:

(Damn you, smilies! You take all the oomph out of my posts, yet I am powerless to resist you)

Rio Lee
Dec 5, 2004, 23:32
I voted others, since I'll need it for my studies in japanese daigaku(somewhere next year, hopefully).

Sumiyoshi炭吉
Dec 13, 2004, 00:50
こんにちは。My interest in Japanese happened gradually over the past 30 years. Around the 7th grade I became fascinated with language, and began studying Spanish the following year. In high school there were four languages offered (Spanish, French, Japanese, and Latin). My course load allowed for me to take only two, so I opted for Spanish and French.

In retrospect I wish I had chosen Japanese back then...

In my 20's and 30's I got busy with 'real life'--wife and kids--and put the language study on hold. In my late 30's I became interested in the beauty of calligraphy, especially Arabic and Japanese. Two years ago I took a beginning class in Japanese calligraphy, and decided that studying the language would be a natural progression. (I plan to study Arabic one day, but after I've become more proficient in Japanese)

Once I began studying Japanese, I became fascinated with the language and culture. So much so, in fact, that my goal is to go to Japan one day to teach English, and improve my understanding of Japanese language and culture while there. I feel that, for myself at least, I can become somewhat fluent in the language only by being immersed in it 24/7. So now at 41 years of age I am back in college part-time (still have to work full time to feed the kids) to get TESL credentials. I have one year of Japanese under my belt (just took the 4 kyuu JLPT), and will continue to study until I can reach my goal of going to Japan (in the next few years after the kids are all grown)

So, that's this old man's story.

By the way, I'm extremely envious of the members of this forum that are living in Japan or will be soon. :bravo: I hope to join you some day.

sha_kai
Dec 16, 2004, 08:19
My intrest in Japanese language and culture are all grounded in recent events, but my reason for learning both go back to when I was just a kid. Get ready for a long and boring flashback, everyone. ;)

My family always opens our christmas preesents on christmas eve. You may be saying, "Wait, what do christmas presents have to do with anything Japanese related?" Bare with me here, please. Anywho, on christmas eve in '85 I received from an aunt a variety pack comic books, like the kind that used to be advertised for sale in all the american comics (I have no idea if they still offer those for sale as I haven't pick up an american comic in almost ten years). And so my love of comic art began.

I can still remember the titles I got: spiderman, peter parker the amazing spiderman, the incredible hulk, uncanny x-men, x-factor, iron man, and the fantastic four. Man, I read those thinks until the covers fell off, which was only after about a week. Lucky for me, there was a drug store (they call them pharmacies here in California, but in Yoakum, Texas they still call them drug stores) that sold comics. They cost something like seventy-five cents at the time, and for a kid in a small town, that's a fortune; so, needless to say, I had to get a job. At the age of ten I was mowing lawns for fifty cents just to support my comics habit.

Now, it just so happens that my family are strick Lutheran fundamentalists, which means, anything even remotely 'unwholesome' is forbidden. Guess what my dear old mom thought unwholesome? She might have let a few comics slide, but when the mound turned into a mountain, she was convinced that I was possessed by a demon and subsequently burned my entire collection before my eyes, then forbid me to ever buy another of the 'filthy' things.

Oops, I'm writing a biography here. Sorry, I'll get to the point now.

After the comic bonfire, I tried my hand at creating my own comics for my own enjoyment. It worked fine for a while, and I wowed my friends (and myself even more) with the little three and four page comics I produced. Unfortunately, mom got wind of it and that too was deemed unfit for a god-fearing little boy to be doing.

Flash forward nine years. I was a Freshman in college when a fellow classmate showed me his collection of manga. You know what happened next, right? Yep, yep, hooked like a fish. Unfortunately for me, he also had a few other bad habits that I picked up on, and I got myself booted out of the university.

Ahem, I'm rambling again. On to the conclusion.

Flash forward again about ten years. I'm still hooked on manga (but happily not the other stuff), and I still enjoy artwork and storytelling. Imagine my joy when a certain manga publisher in the US anounced that they would be accepting stories for a competition.

So here it is, boiled down to a thick, wet paste: I wanna learn the Japanese Language and culture because It will help me to become a better artist and storyteller.

Fin. (At last)

Carth
Dec 24, 2004, 16:15
To use it to gain power and make lots of money.....

No really, I have liked the Japanese culture for some time now, which includes the food, movies and anime. I hope to go down there next year and if at all possible, if I can muster up my skills with the language. Maybe I can teach English to Japanese students.

magwagwag
Dec 28, 2004, 01:13
i'm moving to japan soon, therefore i sould atleast be able to make basic conversations.

jkami
Jan 4, 2005, 13:15
Wow so many with Japanese wives! I learn because while in Japan one can't arrord to stop learning...also it's plain fun. I also love learning unused and obscure Kotowazas to see the puzzled expressions on my buddies faces...

nemesae
Jan 8, 2005, 23:55
I'm learning it because A.) I want to be able to read my manga, B.) I want to be able to understand what most bands I listen to sing about and be able to read their interviews and stuff as well, and C.) because I'm moving to Japan for a year two years from now. All combined: because it's fun and interesting

Roots
Jan 10, 2005, 18:45
I started learning Japanese because one day I woke up and realized that a lot of the things I like (video games, anime, etc) come from Japan. So I thought why not learn Japanese?

I'm continuing to study it more than 3 years after my big "realization", but I have more reasons now. First, I'm a graduate computer engineering student and Japan is a hi-tech country, so being fluent in Japanese looks awesome on my resume. Second, I now translate manga for Yanime, a scanslation group, and on top of enjoying the manga I translate, it helps me improve my Japanese.

(Right now I translate Mai-HiME and School Rumble, both truly awesome series. Go check them out if you get a chance: http://www.yanime.com)

Kimil
Jan 14, 2005, 15:43
I started learning Japanese because one day I woke up and realized that a lot of the things I like (video games, anime, etc) come from Japan. So I thought why not learn Japanese?

I'm continuing to study it more than 3 years after my big "realization", but I have more reasons now. First, I'm a graduate computer engineering student and Japan is a hi-tech country, so being fluent in Japanese looks awesome on my resume. Second, I now translate manga for Yanime, a scanslation group, and on top of enjoying the manga I translate, it helps me improve my Japanese.

(Right now I translate Mai-HiME and School Rumble, both truly awesome series. Go check them out if you get a chance: http://www.yanime.com)

Wow, The starts just like what I'm thinking now! But I want to go to Japan also for the sake of living in a country with a culture (At least where I live in Canada). Plus I want to teach english in Japan! :-)

Damicci
Jan 18, 2005, 03:53
I like the culture, music, movies, anime, CARS ^_^. and people.
My girlfriend is japanese/hawaiian and doesnt speak a lick. she looks more japanese than anything but don't tell her i said that. She loves hawaii even though we do not live there. But we both decided since we have the interest to learn japanese why not take it up. So a friend of hers decided since she is a teacher she would teach us japanese. So now off and on we have 2 hour classes but it's become inconvenient with school and work, so I have come here in hopes to keep up my practice and meet new people even japanese who wish to exchange knowledge Japanese for English. I have 1 japanese friend that I try to communicate with regularly and he thinks I am doing good but I wish for more. So I speak with the local workers at my favorite Sushi place and now Japan in a few months.

Sorry for the long post.

Mahoujin Tsukai
Jan 29, 2005, 00:31
1) Understand the japanese language anime/manga.

2) May want to apply as an exchange student to Japan :p in the near future. With knowledge of japanese, I can get around easily & discuss some schoolwork in Japanese :-) .

Mycernius
Feb 12, 2005, 00:44
I always been interested in Japn and it's culture and history. I amalso a fan of asian films, especailly japanese. I decided to laern japanese so I can watch these films to find out what there are saying, as subtitles do not always translate exactly what is said (can't stand watching dubbed films). It also useful to read things that are not available in English. Having recently learnt the Kana scripts I can at least read simple japanese. What a lot of it says is still beyond me. I am not a natural linguist and it will take me a while to learn the language, but I think it is worth it
:p :beer:

-Rudel-
Feb 12, 2005, 15:45
I will be applying to college in a few months after my marriage to my Chou'utsukushii fiance in June. Definately will need the language and reading skills in College though. My fiance speaks Engrish pretty good, so I'm not worried about anything when I talk to her.

Malaika
Feb 16, 2005, 09:33
I wanted to learn japanese, because I think it'll be cool if you can speak japanese to the jap people and impress them that you can understand what they are saying, not only that, but to understand manga/anime.

Clearly I just want to learn it, because I think it kicks butt, not to mention it's pretty popular as well.

Mcspi
Feb 22, 2005, 00:32
I am learning Nihongo because I want to visit Japan one day and maybe live there for a little while. I have been interested in Japan for a very long time. :yeahh:

SkippyDaStudent85
Feb 22, 2005, 07:49
I am learning Japanese for a few reasons...

1 - I am very much fascinated with all things Japanese and I hope to travel there one day.
2 - I have a Japanese pen-pal (see my avatar). I hope to meet her one day (most likely whenever I am able to go to Japan).
3 - I have a thing for foreign languages. I have taken four years of Spanish and two years of German.

WHEATTHlNS
Mar 1, 2005, 01:47
Part of my major. . .at some point plan on learning Mandarin as well. . .

Nice to know a foreign language or two if you want to work for World Bank or IMF.

oceanfr
Mar 1, 2005, 14:05
I want to understand what tthey are saying, those japanes friends in the show or what not.. like when they talk amongst themselves, I never know if its about me (those foolish)... Well now you see I want to learn for communication, TV magazines and anime!

f0rk0
Mar 7, 2005, 12:42
Well, I will just come out of the anime geek closet and admit that my main motivation for learning Japanese is the animation this culture has produced and (thank holy Lain!) keeps on producing.

razen
Mar 9, 2005, 17:36
i wanna learn japanese for several reasons,

1. anime
2. want to live in japan someday
3. girls
4. anime

alexriversan
Mar 9, 2005, 20:08
western people use words their meaning they do not even know. i have done this too, i must admit. i do not understand the meaning of texts and people do not understand what i say.

it has something to do with relationships which are: a) not common in japan b) thaught in our schools

in japanese i can write everything small legally. and there is no gender (unecessarily) attached to words.

i have learned english for the reason programming references are in english as well as program sources. now it's all outsourced and i am going to learn japanese to get a job!

people, before you use any of these fancy words like muron, or giek: please look them up, so you know what you are communicating then. for example a woman betting big sums on horses, having a luxerious house and performing tarot sessions to figure out which horse to bet: that's ghey, what this word originally means.

in japanese, one would rather say the woman lives in a luxerious house.

well i would like to avoid inpoliteness, so called bad language.

Index
Mar 21, 2005, 17:04
alexriversan what are you talking about? Or more to the point, what language are you speaking? It's one thing to talk about using words the meaning of which one is unaware, but it's another thing to talk about words that do not exist. Neology is a fine thing, but only if the context gives some hint to what one is talking about...

Perhaps you should take some of your own advice and look up the words you yourself are using. A grammar book might come in handy also. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are not a native English speaker....

alexriversan
Mar 21, 2005, 18:35
words which do not exist?
just try "geek" "nerd" and "moro" into http://dictionary.reference.com
its usage as fancy word is ill-fashioned.

same with gender selection and/or declerations of belong- to a special population group.

these things are seen different.

japanese grammar is very simply, i am sorry to say goodbye to english.
i know i master it so good that people can not understand what i am saying.

the word ghey is a substitute for another word. i try to explain its meaning:

a woman in a luxerious house, betting large sums on horses, having tarot card seances to figure out which horse. additionally the guests are smoking big cigars and drinking expensive wine. it does not necessarily include inproper clothing! (so a person with bad clothing does not mean "ghey")

now all the money is spend, and one can say (posthum):

a) her gheyness ended- the house is sold right now.
b) her gheyness has ended- the house has been sold.

now, i am prolly (probably) not the right one for teaching english, making up a children's book with fancy illustrations of burger king, reagan's SDI, geek's, nerd's and institutions for moro's. chapter 1.

chapter 2: illustrations of rats, spiders, mice, bugs and different types of cobweb. explanation how candy is manufactured and why manufacturing candy made from sugar is un-responsible.

chapter 3: halloween installations: coffins, grim reapers, graveyard. how to write a computer program, and how to ship around being outsourced.

alexriversan
Mar 21, 2005, 18:52
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
and assume you are not a native English speaker.

a sentence not common in spoken english, not lacking some sort of east european politeness. :54:

i use one of the best dictionaries, 600k words: http://dictionary.reference.com

now, western people LIVE on wrong assumptions. to mention them can hurt one's religious feelings and i do not want to do this.

all i can say right now: the relationship of godfather/holy mother is not common in japan. i have read it in a dictionary.

Index
Mar 21, 2005, 20:03
muron, or giek

I haven't hear of these words before...neither has dictionary.com

ghey

I'm sorry I couldn't find this one either

moro

or this one (although I worked in Higashi Moro, Saitama for a while).

Sorry alexriversan, I don't mean to be rude, but I really don't understand much of what you wrote.

alexriversan
Mar 21, 2005, 21:05
"geek" "nerd" you get definitions with include the moro- word.

the point is the usage of these words in daily language- just GEEK

most people do not know what a GEEK is- is it GREEK without R or the old german GECK? (not everybody understands german)

then it gets a computer geek, and people are spirited about to be computer geek. even if they understand it: it is deformed language.

and would not you guess what ghey is: an insulting word for bright, colorful person, also used for persons which are not bright at all.

bright person can have the meaning of sharp mind.
bright AND colorful will be understood by english speaking persons.
however it must not have a bad meaning, as a design is allowed to be bright and colorful, like adidas perfume packages: they are designed to be attractive for consumers.

moro is "open sightly" not connected to a sentence with geographic meaning.
it could also mean mono- r gets n
it is an oldfashioned word not longer used- and filtered out here.

see monty phyton for word order: they are from u.k.- if you like parody.

mis-utilizing the adidas deodorant allows the word "hot" to come in play- and it can cause instant death, now there are warning signs on the cans. only to give a definition for the word "hot".

alexriversan
Mar 21, 2005, 21:12
I haven't hear of these words before...neither has dictionary.com

ya cool i see many words (in japanese) and they are not in my dictionary- what's the point in telling people "i do not understand..."?

it seems to be you are interested in emitting communication to me, and we can perform this otherwise, i am a firendly person, not staring at my moniter and i am not that supid.

please keep communication japan related- i do not plan to hold english classes. :wave: (wavey)

alexriversan
Mar 21, 2005, 21:27
and why i learn japanese:

japanese person would try to figure out years instead of bugging people "i do not understand...".

relationship of godfather/holy mother is not common.

grammar is easy, not including emissions about unpredictable future.

people are polite, do not have beds as fulltime inventory/occupation.

people are much less prejudiced: because they take more care what others may think of them.

AND i can abolish small/big letters :wave: :wave: :wave:

Index
Mar 21, 2005, 21:42
people, before you use any of these fancy words like muron, or giek: please look them up, so you know what you are communicating then.

You advised looking up words that one does not understand in order to be able to communicate.

ya cool i see many words (in japanese) and they are not in my dictionary- what's the point in telling people "i do not understand..."?

The point of saying "I do not understand" is to inform you of this fact. If you want to communicate then use words in the given language you are using.

i use one of the best dictionaries, 600k words: http://dictionary.reference.com

Well the words you yourself use are not in the dictionary you yourself use.

please keep communication japan related- i do not plan to hold english classes

I'm not asking for an English lesson. I'm trying to understand what you are saying, because even though you might be using English words, it's questionable whether you are using English.

In any case one might consider it peculiar that you ask people to use a dictionary while you don't.

alexriversan
Mar 21, 2005, 21:49
... and why you are learning japanese
"geek" refers to the other two words, polite regards.

The point of saying "I do not understand" is to inform you of this fact.
you are emitting communication.

i am just practicing communication, command "take it serious" not available.

because even though you might be using English words, it's questionable whether you are using English.
emission: thank you.
information: we are not affiliates.
decleration: the lessons will not be held in general
explanation: for the reason my english lacks seriousity

Index
Mar 21, 2005, 22:26
Right, well I'm glad we had this little chat. You have a unique way of writing. Perhaps we should get back to the thread then.

drain_away
Apr 10, 2005, 02:48
i want to learn japanese so i can understand when i listen to dir en grey. and so i can go see them in concert in japan, and be able to ask for an autograph in japanese. (and just because the japanese language and culture are the cool.) XD

xelmo368x
Apr 17, 2005, 23:36
i'm trying my hardest to adapt. this is my new home for the next few years and i'd like to communicate with the locals and it helps so it doesn't take me 10 minutes of drawing pictures and hand gestures to order some curry.

chedie
Apr 18, 2005, 15:18
Honestly, initial reason why I am studying Japanese is for love of anime and manga. However, as time went on I realized and remembered curious I am of the culture ever since I was a kid. As a kid, I am awed to see any picture of Sakuras, when I started watching anime, I was fascinated with the Japanese imagination, when I see travel guides or television travel shows featuring Japan, I am inspired by their culture. There is just something about the Japanese that grasps my attention and I have a longing to see the Japan one day. When I tell this to other people, they commented that maybe I had been Japanese in my previous life.... that thought mystifies me. :)

Kirisame
Apr 19, 2005, 11:42
My interest in japanese language started actually with household products. There are quite a number of made in japan goods, not just household products. I was really curious to find out how to read the japanese descriptions on those goods. But somehow I didnt take up any lessons then or study on my own.

Then I was introduced to anime, manga and japanese games. Well needless to say, I was charmed and before I knew it, I was attending regular japanese lessons.

Tsuyoiko
Apr 21, 2005, 20:26
Nihongo o wakaratai kara nihon no eiga to terebi geemu ga suki. Kitano Takeshi-san to Kaneshiro Takeshi-san ga suki.

Apologies if my Japanese is bad, but I will accept pointers!

Ikyoto
Apr 26, 2005, 06:47
Tsuyoiko - don't sweat it - Mine is worse. I can swear and get myself drunk and that's about it!

I study japanese because it's pure ego to only learn one way to communicate. To think your language or culture is the only one of value is wrong. All people have something to contibute to one's life. I choose Japanese because of my early introduction to the martial arts of Japan and the fact that (for me) it's a very difficult language and i like challenges.

geist_seig
Apr 26, 2005, 07:04
whats wrong with being mutilingul?

kalau
Jun 23, 2005, 12:02
i need to understand and learn about japaness culture and language it's just because the girls.. :blush: i really like them alot... IoI

lonesoullost3
Jul 2, 2005, 07:34
I've wanted to learn Japanese for years! I was going to take it in high school, but then I moved and it wasn't offered at my new high school :(. I love learning languages - there are so many I want to become fluent in (arabic, mandarin, cantonese, german, french, malay, korean etc.). The more languages you know, the more people you can meet! :) :)

I also really want to live in Japan when I graduate, so to live there (and get a job) I'll have to become pretty fluent - which is perfectly fine with me ^_^. I also have quite a few Japanese friends. They've been kind enough to speak/write english with me, so I feel I should do the same for them and speak/write Japanese ^_^. Oh, and Japanese is just plain cool to learn ^_^.

XxSirenxX
Jul 20, 2005, 05:01
im hoping to take some classes at my school since i think its one of the requirements...the only language that seems to interest me..and seems like all my friends at the moment..so i will be able to understand them..and maybe be able to understand a few of the japanese manga i have

gotoh
Jul 28, 2005, 02:44
Manga ...
MANGA ...

M A N G A !!!!

Oh, yeah! There's anime, too. :-)

And the more I learn, the more I get to post stuff in the JREF forums and use those cute little smilies. :D

(although I don't always understand the little hiraganas that sometimes sprout over their heads.) :bluush:

lastmagi
Sep 4, 2005, 05:45
Nihongo o wakaratai kara nihon no eiga to terebi geemu ga suki. Kitano Takeshi-san to Kaneshiro Takeshi-san ga suki.

Apologies if my Japanese is bad, but I will accept pointers!

Hm, I think the reason/explanation goes before から, and then what you're going to say (remember: particles go after what they modify).

I originally wanted to learn how to read Japanese video games, too, and also manga. Now, I guess that, having taken a couple courses, I just like the language. Besides, it's kind of nice bragging to be multi-lingual.

BeNe
Sep 4, 2005, 06:14
i learn japanese as I want to travel there and I'm dreaming of a japanese girlfriend :cute:

Limonette
Sep 5, 2005, 11:30
To escape reality...

Limonette
Sep 5, 2005, 11:31
Ok I know Japan is actually a real place but...it's far from here and that's what counts...at least I think it's real...

Martialartsnovice
Sep 12, 2005, 06:15
Im learning it to travel there and see the sights. Also I have friends who speak it.

Gaijinian
Sep 12, 2005, 11:35
Started in Elementry school, and did not have a choice.
Why do I continue?
-Free class.
-Plan to study there next year.
-After all my years of studing, I have I a strong intrest.
-Fun.
-It is great to see the Japanese people's reaction when a white kid speaks to them. After all, their language is "too difficult" for us dumb gaijin, right?
Funny story: 先日、私の学校は2人の日本人の客様に来訪されていま した。日本語が使える機会で嬉しく喋り掛けてきたので す。何が言ったのかもう忘れちゃったのに、「ハーフなのか」と聞かれてしまったよ!ちなみに、有道出人 のことを読んだことが� って、「ハーフって言葉は差別用語です」って書いて� りますのでシ ョックな顔を表して「チガウよ!」と答えることにしま した。
「なぜそう答えたか」と聞かれるとき、説明させてもら ったんですね。でも、「違う、違う。ハーフはかっこいい。」って教えられたのです!面白い経験 でしたね〜

studyonline
Sep 20, 2005, 05:56
Your Japanese is pretty good for your age. I bet you can speak well since you started learning it so early in your life.

"Half" can be a word for 差別 because there are half-Japanese foreigners living in Japan. It used to be so "unusual" to see those kids back then. To somewhat make fun of them, other kids called them "half".

Nowdays, there are many of them in schools, so they got used to seeing them around, realizing they have got an advantage of speaking another language at home (usually English that they are jealous of). Not to mention, usually those kids got good looking, of which they are also jealous. That's why being a "half" is considered as being cool.

Trust me, most Japanese think any foreigner is cool when he/she speaks Japanese well. You can be a popular person just because of that! (it's really possible)

Rin Daemoko
Oct 10, 2005, 03:21
はじめまして、リンです。どうぞよろしくおねがい。私 の専攻は日本語ですから、日本語を勉強をしっています 。

... I hope that made sense.

sergeantSprinkle
Oct 13, 2005, 03:51
hi guys, i'm pretty much trying to translate japanese b/c i am interested in a girl that speaks japanese. which leads me to ask for some help from you guys... can someone please assist me with the following:

kono kimochi o wakaritai yo. (this feeling.. ?
futari wa narerimasu ka naa? kangaeru to,
ureshiku narimasu.
kokoro ga shimaru hazu desu ga,
anata ni natsukashii ne.
ii jikan kitara,
zenbu himitsu o hanasu.
hanasu tsumori desu ga, (intend to speak.to u?)
ima hanasenai (now i can't let go)...
matte kudasai (please wait).
gomen ne (im sorry).

thanks.. much appreciated,
-rj

Tokyo-K1
Oct 13, 2005, 04:44
I want to learn Japanese so I can understand more mangas and watch anime without the aid of subtitles. Also it'll come in handy if ever I travel to Japan one day and knowing another language is always a good thing.
I'm also a person that likes to be different, attaining a fluency in Japanese and it's culture enables me to form a "cocoon" away from any harsh negativities of my world.

kokusu
Oct 30, 2005, 02:24
I blame Godzilla. No, really! When I was really young (about 4 or 5), my best friend at the time had a huge Godzilla toy figure . . . I was curious as to where such cool toy could come from, and well . . . the answer is, of course, Japan!

So, more or less, it's Godzilla's fault that now I am learning Japanese! :-)

Carlson
Oct 30, 2005, 15:01
because i have 3 years min left in Japan. so i figure why not.. plus it a little more easy to talk to the girls...

acquiredtarget
Nov 1, 2005, 02:42
Well, its one of the few countries I want to visit, but my secret reason is I want to undestand what they're saying on a tv program called "Nounai Este IQ Supplement" which airs locally. They look like they're having fun.

bluubear
Nov 2, 2005, 16:27
Had to choose a language to study in Yr 7... chose Japanese and French. And I fell in love with both immediately. Have slacked off on French (will pick up some day) but learning Japanese has always been fun! Problem is though I can understand and read mostly, but really don't have many opportunities to practice speaking. I'd like to pack up and live in Japan for a while just so that I can brush up my speaking. But I have no idea how that is going into my science degree lol

cursore
Nov 3, 2005, 23:43
I have many Japanese friends, I would love to see the country, my girlfriend is Japanese (I don't know for how long) however I love Japanese girls, I just cant help it.

Riyko
Nov 28, 2005, 14:54
When I was younger I was forced into learning Japanese because I had an aunt who lived over in Japan and I needed a way to talk to her, but at the sametime I was learning English and so I put learning Japanese to the side and worked on learning English*. Now I have another aunt who lives over in Japan and I want to be able to talk to her more because she doesn't really know alot of english.

*Keep in mind German is the first language I ever learned. I was born and lived my whole life in the USA, but german doesn't really help you out in American schools so I had to learn English.

Goatman
Dec 2, 2005, 09:05
Goatman here,
I have just moved to a place called "little Tokyo" in Los Angeles, CA
and I think everyone is Japanese. I know some are Chinese and korean
but the majority are Japanese. I need to communicate with the gardener and neighbors. my girlfriend has been to Japan to sing Jazz in Kyoto
however, I was not there and am just begining to learn to speak Japanese.
If you guys can help out let me know.
I won't try and where you out I just need to know some different things.
Like "you can't park here at night this is my driveway". HA! HA!

Arigatou, Thank you right?:relief:

Goatman
Dec 3, 2005, 04:02
Goatman Here,
Hey, I posted here before and I don't see it here.
It shows as a post in my personal folder.
Does anyone know if it is an error or possibly I do not understand the ranking system?

How do I get a cool picture in my post like you all?

Thanks for the help in advance,

johel052
Dec 6, 2005, 06:11
I guess I have the same reason for studying japanese as a lot of you folks... japanese wife.. ..or at least that's the reason why I continue.

Actually, I went to Japan on a intra-company transfer. The company offered me free japanese lessons, so I started studying. I met my wife at work, and on that road it is.

Cheers,
Johan

http://www.studyjapanese.org
- free online japanese studies -

Tsukimiya
Jan 17, 2006, 04:13
Im learning it, because I have japanese friends... I want to see the country .. and to find more friends >_<'' .. l o l

Damicci
Jan 17, 2006, 04:53
hi guys, i'm pretty much trying to translate japanese b/c i am interested in a girl that speaks japanese. which leads me to ask for some help from you guys... can someone please assist me with the following:
ureshiku narimasu.
anata ni natsukashii ne.
ii jikan kitara,
zenbu himitsu o hanasu.
gomen ne (im sorry).
-rj
futari wa narerimasu ka naa? I wonder if ___ together(2)
kangaeru to, ureshiku narimasu. Thinking about it,I become happy
kokoro ga shimaru hazu desu ga, my heart is sure to close
anata ni natsukashii ne. It's nostalgic to you?(misses you)
ii jikan kitara, when the right(lit. Good) time comes
zenbu himitsu o hanasu. I will completely tell you my secret
gomen ne (im sorry).
:relief: HTH Tried to make it natural....

moffeltoff
Jan 18, 2006, 23:06
Hey ho (Hummel Hummel Mors Mors),
I致e just started to learn Japanese and that痴 more or less ,because I discovered the interrailpass and the railpass.
English is the first language I ever learned and because half of my family is german and I live in germany I sort of had to learn to speak that as well.
Well anyway the reason I started to learn Japanese ,which I only started about 3 weeks ago^^, was the fact that me and a few friends of mine are planning to go on a interrail trip through Europe and Japan ,after our abitur (german equivalent of english a-levels),and are finished with our army service.:-)

doinkies
Jan 19, 2006, 04:17
ureshiku narimasu.
anata ni natsukashii ne.
ii jikan kitara,
zenbu himitsu o hanasu.
gomen ne (im sorry).
-rj
OK, doinkies will translate this for you...

この気持ちをわかりたいよ。(I want to understand these feelings.)
二人になれりますかなぁ?考えると、嬉しくなります。 (When I think "Will we be able to become a couple?", I get happy.)
心が閉まるはずですが、� なたに懐かしいね。(Althoug h my heart will probably close up, you will reminisce (about me).)
いい時間来たら、全部秘密を話す。(When a good time comes, I will tell you all my secrets.)
話すつもりですが、今話せない。(Although I intend on telling you (them), I can't right now.)
待ってください。(Please wait.)
ごめんね。(I'm sorry.)

Out of curiosity, where did you get this dialogue from? A dating sim or a manga (probably a shoujo manga)?

jt_
Jan 20, 2006, 09:35
Not being a native speaker myself, I can never be 100% sure about things like this, but the above Japanese sounds (to me) like it was written/spoken by a non-native speaker.

Gaijinian
Jan 22, 2006, 03:52
I thought so to. "Wakaritai," "narerimasu," and "ii jikan kitara" make me think so... Oh, and "anata ni natukasii"
All of which sound very strange.
I think someone found 'nareru' in a dictionary, and was not sure if it was an u/ru verb.:p
____
OH!!! It was not a native japanese writing it.
Himitu wo hanasu also sounds odd...

Nicky
Jan 24, 2006, 00:23
My interest in the japanese language began when I was 11. I had heard it for the very first time and I decided that I just liked the way it sounded. I decided then that I wanted to learn it, but my family members and friends told me that is was pretty much impossible to learn. So I didn't bother with trying to learn until recently. =/

Esse
Feb 17, 2006, 19:56
Nihon de riugakushitaindeskara......

Morrow
Feb 17, 2006, 20:14
I intend to go there for a holiday at the end of next year, or early 2008 - so I wouldn't mind knowing a little bit to have baisic conversations ^_^

nurizeko
Feb 17, 2006, 20:43
I'm learning it because my girlfriend is japanese, i plan on living there or at least becomming a frequent visitor, if i do live there i will need it for basically everything.

I always thought i sucked at languages but i learned quickly while i lived there.

It was only 2 months but language is just so much easier when you can see it and try it within its natural habitat, it really makes it easy.

Im useless at learning a language via textbook and a classroom, it just feels so unispiring and the detailed explaination of every aspect of the language can just make it confusing, but living in it makes it so much easier.

cold_akani
Feb 18, 2006, 04:22
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/users/41042ee0zc304d829/b82a/__sr_/3481.jpg?phwmi9DBawpx4gQgi find the japanese language enchanting, its like if i hear someone speak in japanese, there is like power and magic. japanese culture is so strong too and it really fascinates me. actually, it all started when i was in gradeschool when my younger brothers introduced me to manga and animation. i was so desperate to understand the dialogue so i asked my mum to enroll me to a japanese lesson class. i studied basic japanese for 3 months only because there were already english translation with every series that i've watched. then i begun to like japanese entertainment (j-pop) when i reached college so the thirst in me came alive again. I even met japanese friends at school so i would really like to learn how to write, read, and speak in Japanese. i'm sure i can get much help from this site. That's my story. :bluush:

SortOf
Feb 20, 2006, 10:37
For the off the wall reason that I have nothing better to do, I like the anime, and the video games, and I need to exercise my brain a bit. (im an idiot)

MrsAmberface
Feb 22, 2006, 08:49
haha i simply want to learn it cause it's beautiful to me and i plan to go to tokyo me and my boyfriend in the future

firideibi
Mar 1, 2006, 13:07
Minna-sama, kon ban wa:

It's been a while since I last posted here, so please excuse the silence....:gomen:

A year ago, I would have answered this thread by saying that I wanted to make video programs in Japanese. I still do to some degree, but not to impress NTV or Asahi (much less NHK); I am all too aware that market forces don't like playing nice. So for now I am kick-starting my Japanese studies anew because with my life being as batsu (as in "batsu-gemu!" - that is, a Downtown free-for-all) as it is, being able to express myself in the language with some confidence would be nothing less than a real accomplishment.

Ikemasho! :yeahh:

Philip David
2006.02.28-03.01

jouralto
Mar 1, 2006, 14:37
I simply wish to understand the lyrics to T.M.Revoltion songs. That is the main reason I joined these forums anyways! lol

Kinsao
Mar 10, 2006, 18:44
Jouralto : you and me are coming from the same place! :p (not TM Revolution in my case, but I wanted to understand song lyrics). Beware, beware; your interest in things Japanese might expand from that... as mine has done, like a rapid-growing plant! :blush:
Well, I have already made my intro on this thread, anyway.

I am in the middle of taking Level 1 exams at the moment (well not literally at the moment!), they are pretty easy and I'm hoping the college will run the Level 2 course next year. ^^ I'm also pleased because I learned the kanji symbols for the numbers 1 - 10... ^^ hehe, not much I know, but I'm still happy about it! :) It took me literally 10 minutes to learn them, I guess because I have a memory that works pictorially... well, 1 - 3 are self-explanatory anyway, lol.

Kye-Jin Jiro
Mar 12, 2006, 08:11
There are so many reasons why I'm learning japanese.......for the most part I hope to live in Japan...or at least visit frequently. Also for anime and manga......and because Japanese is just plain kool!!

Miyabi_maru
Mar 14, 2006, 11:06
I want to learn Japanese

well, I'm interested in every language invented and i want to be multi-lingual (i'm just bilingual^_^)

Miyabi_maru
Mar 14, 2006, 11:11
There are so many reasons why I'm learning japanese.......for the most part I hope to live in Japan...or at least visit frequently. Also for anime and manga......and because Japanese is just plain kool!!

The japanese ARE cool^_^

scieck
Mar 23, 2006, 02:01
I am fascinated by languages and cultures and the relation ship between the two things, i am learning Japanese 'cause through learning the language i am learning a lot about the culture.
Also my girlfriend is Japanese and we are planning to move to Tokyo for a while next year, honestly i can't wait !
I heard spring already started in Tokyo, here in London it feels so winter still.

I always thought i sucked at languages but i learned quickly while i lived there.
It was only 2 months but language is just so much easier when you can see it and try it within its natural habitat, it really makes it easy.
Im useless at learning a language via textbook and a classroom, it just feels so unispiring and the detailed explaination of every aspect of the language can just make it confusing, but living in it makes it so much easier.
I agree with you, there is no way to be fluent in a language without leaving at least for some time in a country where it is spoken.
In fact you really have to put an effort if you spent over a month in a foreign country where they speak a different language than yours and you don't pick up at least the basic.
While the opposite is true, it takes a real effort even to learn the basic of another language while studding it in you natural environment.

Anyway i have been studding Japanese for only 3 months, yesterday i had my last lecture as beginner, next month i will start another course, basically the continuation of my previous one, called post-beginner.
I am really looking forward to be able to have a basic conversation in Japanese that goes beyond the 2 or 3 phrases, but i guess i have quite some time to go...

sl0thmachin3
Mar 23, 2006, 23:42
I got hooked on Japanese stuff while I was a kid that's why I'm trying to learn the language.

Anybody here know of Japan Today? It's a docu show about all things Japanese. I watched a lot of those. Showed some great interesting stuff about Japan like folk festivals, inventions, local cuisine, places of interest etc. Made me dream of going to Japan someday.

happyblinker
Mar 25, 2006, 00:06
Argh. I haven't actully learnt Japanese properly.. I was able to understand enough of it from watching anime to know what was going on in a movie.
That was why I limited my anime ahahahah

But understanding Japanese will help me understand more of the anime!

AmiraHime
Mar 29, 2006, 01:51
Am I bad if I only had the patience to read the first page of this thread? <__<;;

In any case, my little tale:

Ah, but I do love languages, and if it is one that has really caught my attention with it's melodic structure and beauty it is Japanese.
As several people have alredy mentioned as a reason, anime introdcued me to the language.
Being a liberal, sci-fi loving techie, filosofical and non-religious, the Japanese culture also has caught my attention. Oh "do misunderstand me right", alot of aspects of it bother me, such as equality issues and the educational system (you have to pay your way through High School and Uni). But in all, Japan simply ... facinates me. It has become a dream of mine to one day, one day visit Japan and maybe study and/work there ...

Summer_M
Apr 20, 2006, 06:22
I am learning Japanese because my wife is Japanese, I live in Japan, I like learning languages in general and it will help me find another job that teacher in the future. Maybe also because I am very interested in foreign cultures (for the moment the Japanese one of course) and there is no better way to understand the mentality of a people than through its language.
Wow, that's almost exactly like me...except the whole wife scenario :D and I don't live in Japan either...OK, maybe not exactly! Demo (ooo, some really basic romanized Japanese!) I too love to learn about other cultures. I paticularly want to see the Harajuku area (for the fashion, obviously :cute:) and see the Tanatabata(sp?) festival - the story's so sad! :( But I love the idea of celebrating creativity (something rather lacking where I live, I feel).

Sadakogfx
May 11, 2006, 09:09
Well, I love Anime and Manga, but my interest in learning Japanese came from the movies. My first Japanese movie was Godzilla(1984). I've been hooked ever since.

warakawa
May 19, 2006, 02:10
for japanese rpg games, final fantasy etc

kusunoki
May 23, 2006, 16:37
I want to learn Japanese
well, I'm interested in every language invented and i want to be multi-lingual (i'm just bilingual^_^)
There's no doubt now that the Japanese manga,animation and games are the most popular in the world.When I play RPG,I could do nothing but guess the meaning by some chinese characters.but compared with Chinese characters,there's so many kanji in Japanese have different meanings.Learning Japanese is only to make me understood what they are talking about.It'll be convienent to play all the Japanese games.:v: :v: :v:

PS Miyabi_maru san: I have the same interest with you~:beer: I could teach you standard Chinese if you want to study and all the people who wish to learn Chinese are welcome.:wave:

Thunderthief
May 26, 2006, 02:02
English translations of Japanese video games, animes and mangas take far to long, a fourth dont come at all.

Karani
May 31, 2006, 04:04
i'm learning to be a translator and to make more friends,,,

BlackenedEyes
Jun 10, 2006, 14:03
watashi wa baka desu kara,
nihongo o narate imasu

Ok, here's basicaly what happened. It was my first semester in junior college and I was taking an english class next to this very loud japanese class. Not nigiyaka, but urusai. They were going on about how hard the class was so me being the idiot that I am decided that I should try it. (It's like when you taste something realy wierd or bad and you turn to a friend and say, here try this. And they know its bad but still try it anyways) It was a very interesting class to say the least. Hard, but fun and here I am still trying two years later--for the reccord it wasn't the difficulty that got me, its the schedule for the advanced classes that wont let me finish. So how do I explain my self in this logically flawed excuse for a choice? Atama ga totemo warui desu.

With that said, I plan to take the third and fourth level classes soon, then it's on to the "How to read a Japanese Newspaper Class."

cpaw88
Jun 19, 2006, 15:03
I would love to learn Japanese because of the Video Games and Culture! :) I love being able to talk to people all over the world, I hope too in some years after I learn Japanese.

Lady Skywalker
Jun 20, 2006, 16:58
Initially, my motivation to learn Japanese was due to an upcoming trip to Kyoto. I thought learning some basic 'travel' Japanese might come in handy. Being a bit of a language nerd, though, I became interested in the language itself and made the decision to study it properly (well, by self-study anyway). :-)

I'm also mad about sushi/sashimi and Japanese traditional culture so learning the Japanese language should help me delve deeper into these interests. I wonder if anyone's ever tried learning Japanese just because they liked sushi...I'm quite tempted to 'specialise' in food-related Japanese. :gohan:

smasraum
Jun 21, 2006, 03:42
I lived in Japan when I was 7, 8 and 9, and then again when I was 13, 14 and 15. I didn't really learn any Japanese when I was there except a few simple things, counting, greetings, please, thank you, that sort of stuff. As a youngster I had no desire to learn any foreign language. Despite that I always loved Japan and things Japanese. When I was there I did learn about some of the culture. In my early 20's I realized that I really wanted to learn at least one foreign language and that Japanese was the first that I'd tackle. Now over 10 years later I've finally gotten off of my duff and am starting. I've taken Judo, and aikido when I was younger and recently started taking aikido again (another thing that I've wanted to get back into for at least 10 years). I'm also a huge fan of Japanese food and sushi.

I'd be really surprised if I never get back to Japan at least for vacation. And I'd really love to be able to wrangle my way into a job over there.

kioshi
Jun 28, 2006, 03:35
I want to learn japanese to epand my horizons learn how to curse some one out in another language and play all the new cool games before they come to america and if they never do oh and flirt with asian girls. Normal teen things.