PDA

View Full Version : Hello from UK

TerryS
Feb 23, 2011, 06:57
My name is Terry Smyth, and I live in the east of England. In October 2010, I travelled to Japan as part of a group who were related to people who had spent time in Japan as prisoners of war. My father was in Japan for three years between 1942 and 1945 in a POW camp near Mine City, Yamaguchi Prefecture - he was forced to work in a coal mine. We had an amazing time in Japan: memorable, emotional, surprising. We were welcomed with great warmth and kindness. I have celebrated the trip with a Facebook page which I hope some of you will find interesting: search for 'Two Weeks in Japan'.

I work as an education consultant and I am very interested in learning more about the Japanese educational system - its characteristics, strengths and weaknesses etc - and also in finding out if any schools or colleges in Japan would like to make links with similar institutions over here. The trip to Japan was organised by the Agape charity which sets out to promote reconciliation, and this includes visits to schools and universities. We visited an elementary school and three universities while we were there and spoke to staff and students.

Well I think that's all for now. I look forward to hearing from others on the forum.

Best wishes.