PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying artists

AikiRay
Dec 28, 2007, 05:58
I have been lucky enough to have been given two pieces of original art. Unfortunately neither the person who gave me them or I know any thing about them.
I believe them to be Japanese but I suppose they could also be Chinese, They are about 5 feet long hand painted on what appears to be silk.
I was wondering if someone could translate the writing both of the picture and the calligraphy, so that I could find out who the artists are and what the pieces are?
Thank you in anticipation for your help,
Domo Arigato gozaimasu
Ray.

Chi65
Dec 28, 2007, 06:25
I would say, they are Chinese, or Taiwanese, typical flower themes and techniques, but very beautifull, as far as I can see on the right side.
The writing is in all cases not in the right order on the fotos, the left pic you have to turn once more on the right side and down, they usually write from up to down, and then from the right to the left side traditionally.
It could be a poem, which is often the case. Maybe even one from the painter. The name of the first one seems to be written over the stamp, but I am not sure.
The other ones are simply upside down, in that case it is written from the side without stamp towards the red name stamp, which always is the final signature. Here the writing is on top of the painting, but from right to left then.
At least you can see your pictures from the right side now;-)

Don't ask me about the translations, someone with good Kanji knowledge can surely do some explanations already, because the meanings are often the same, at least about. I can see a few known Kanjis for me, but not enough to tell you more, since it is written in a kind of grass-script(fluent handwriting), but not too difficult for local chinese or japanese people to read. Thus you may well find out here.

Much luck!

AikiRay
Dec 28, 2007, 06:39
Thanks I assumed The Kanji should have been vertical but was not sure which way up the painting was as the flowers seem to work both ways, any way is this better?

Chi65
Dec 28, 2007, 06:54
Definitely easier for the translaters now!

:wave:

epigene
Dec 28, 2007, 12:56
The one on the left is Chinese poetry:

http://www.linese.com/cc/20224040000000000,5.html

I am moving this to the China forum.

Chi65
Dec 29, 2007, 03:51
Oh nice, thanks!
A fine poem from the Tang dynasty!

By the way, the video jumped a bit, but by repeating it a few times, it worked fine here.

AikiRay
Dec 29, 2007, 06:59
Thanks for your help so far.

I have worked out the script on the painting is something like;

Riches or wealth, Truth/true?, Luck and Auspiciousness, does that sound ok? Not sure about the truth one.

The rest seems to be brushed with respect and caring then I donft know?

Any one got any more ideas?