PDA

View Full Version : What's the best Studio Ghibli anime ?

Maciamo
Aug 2, 2003, 14:10
This is a very difficult question. I'd say Spirited Away, but I haven't seen all of them, so I'll wait to vote. So far I've seen :

- Spirtited Away
- Kiki's delivery service
- Princess Mononoke
- Nausicaa
- Whisper of the heart

...and there are all good. Except for the very emotional final seen, it's Nausicaa I like the least, because the world it depicts is not realistical enough. "Mimi wo sumaseba" (Whisper of the heart) is the most realistic as it doesn't involve magic or supernatural at all. The story is set in Tokyo and everything (houses, trains, shops, landscapes...) is rendered as a perfect copy of the real world (remember the old Chinese adage "demons are easy to draw as they don't exist, but dogs are very difficult as everybody knows what they look like").

The story of Nausica and Princess Mononoke is very similar. As usual with Miyazaki the hero is a young teen female, but who both happen to be princesses in these stories. Both are similar for their liking of the forest and animals seen as dangerous to humans, but which they are ready to give their lives to protect. There is a male hero, which at first is seen as an enemy, but soon becomes a kind of platonic lover. At the end of both movies, Nature defeats humans who wanted to destroy them and only save them thanks to the courage of the hero and heroine.

More info regarding any Studio Ghibli anime can be found on Nausicaa.net (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/ghibli/ghibli101.html#meaning)

Shadow
Aug 2, 2003, 15:14
I've seen all of them except Porco Rosso, Pompoko and Howl's moving castle...

I'll cast my vote for Lapata though. It certainly has all the required elements in a short anime: suspense, romance, captivating storyline, and a good soundtrack. I remember watching Lapata over and over again when i was small (around 10 yrs old @ that time).

Maciamo
Aug 2, 2003, 15:45
I can't really give my childhood impression as I saw only 5 and all of them for the first time in the last 2 months !

Gackt's Twin Fan
Aug 3, 2003, 01:54
Spirited Away, Caslte in the Sky, and Kiki's Dilervery Servace. I've only seen these three and they're all great^^ Spirited Away is the best so far thought ^^

Ami
Aug 3, 2003, 07:15
My favorite would be Spirited Away. That movie was the best! :cool:

Shinmeiryu
Aug 3, 2003, 07:19
Princess Mononoke is my choice. Wasn't too big on Kiki's Delivery Service, though Grave of the Fireflies also comes close..

noyhauser
Aug 5, 2003, 07:13
Hmmm

Is there something I am missing about Spirited?? I can't even see it being in the top 5. I find it uses a lot of themes and ideas present in earlier ghibli films, which weren't as exciting as other movies were.

Maciamo... What is not realistic about Nausicaa, compared to the world of spirited?? It was based upon a religious theme combined with a post apocalyptic setting which I think was amazing in its idea. It combined a way of conceptualizing the world which reminded of native culture, the world itself is a living being, not just for our usage. The corruption and abuse humans did to it caused the earth to anhhilate what was plaguing it, and now humans must learn how to live with the world otherwise they won't survive. None of the other stories had such a deep undercurrent to it. Monoke is the "Only Grave of Fireflies was as profound in my mind.

For pure enjoyment... Porco gets my vote, you gotta love the fight scenes between Porco and curtiss.

Maciamo
Aug 5, 2003, 11:17
Originally posted by noyhauser

Maciamo... What is not realistic about Nausicaa, compared to the world of spirited?? It was based upon a religious theme combined with a post apocalyptic setting which I think was amazing in its idea.

Of course, you are free to think or feel what you want. Personally, I liked Sen to Chihiro because of the temples, the kimono/yukata, the food, etc. This one is not properly realistic (compared to Whisper of the heart), but it's based on an existing culture. Grahically, I found Nausicaa boring (only desert and swamps) and I don't like these 'mastodonesque' planes that would never fly for real (the same as in Laputa). I simply don't like post-apcalyptic vision of the world or stupid human fighting to destroy each others. So childish. I prefer stories with human interactions or a bit of romance. Nausicaa isn't bad, but it's not my type of stories and neither is really Laputa for the same reason.

I am totally against magi, but at least the world of Mononoke is real, even if huge wolves and boars aren't really.

Shadow
Aug 5, 2003, 11:26

Is there something I am missing about Spirited?? I can't even see it being in the top 5. I find it uses a lot of themes and ideas present in earlier ghibli films, which weren't as exciting as other movies were.

noyhauser, I can't agree with you more..... Spirited Away; other than the fact that it's the newest Ghibli release, there's nothing special about it.... the concepts are old, the music doesn't stand out, and the artwork is just as good as the other Ghibli films...

I am really curious why it has such a huge fangroup behind it...
:rolleyes:

Illuminata
Aug 5, 2003, 15:33
Far and away, my very favorite is Nausicaa. I mean, there is absolutely NO contest in my opinion. It's particularly sentimental to me, as the terrible disney rendition "Warriors of the Wind" was one of my favorite movies as a very young child. Seeing the beautiful original version as an adult totally recaptured the magic for me. The young girl warrior Joan of Arc-archetype is one of my favorite themes in anime, and this one blows anything else in the genre out of the water.

The only one that comes anywhere near Nausicaa is Grave of the Fireflies. Wow. Just... wow. It's not that I dislike Studio Ghibli; in fact, it has to be my favorite production house, it's just that these two are their best, without challenge.

I haven't seen about half of these, so I can only include those I have... but I like everything I've seen, with the exception of Laputa, for some reason. It just didn't strike me well. Who knows.

noyhauser
Aug 6, 2003, 03:46
Originally posted by Maciamo
Of course, you are free to think or feel what you want. Personally, I liked Sen to Chihiro because of the temples, the kimono/yukata, the food, etc. This one is not properly realistic (compared to Whisper of the heart), but it's based on an existing culture. Grahically, I found Nausicaa boring (only desert and swamps) and I don't like these 'mastodonesque' planes that would never fly for real (the same as in Laputa). I simply don't like post-apcalyptic vision of the world or stupid human fighting to destroy each others. So childish.

Im not going to disagree with you its a matter of tastes, but it was most definately not a "typical" post apocalyptic world. It had none of the same defining features like other post apocalpytic worlds of "its" time (remember Naussicaa was made in 1984), like mad max. None had its so deep nature overtones. From the wind valley to the fugal forests, it was something special in its thoughts. And all the apocalypse itself had nothing to do with the usual human v human warfare (post nuclear era), but nature's v human struggle. I think it was such an interesting metaphor for how we ruin our planet today, and how it is getting even more hostile to us now. And the tradegy of the two empires fighting with each other added to human's folly, only the people of the wind valley understood human's need to live with nature.

Maciamo
Aug 6, 2003, 11:38
Im not going to disagree with you its a matter of tastes, but it was most definately not a "typical" post apocalyptic world. It had none of the same defining features like other post apocalpytic worlds of "its" time (remember Naussicaa was made in 1984), like mad max.

I don't know if it was good for its time, since I saw all the Ghibli anime I have seen in just a few months this year. So it doesn't make any difference which is older or newer and I can't judge Spirited Away saying that "it has nothing innovative compared to previous ones" since it's the 3rd I saw (after Nausica and Mononoke). From today's point of view, Nuausica isn't probably as good as it was in 1984, like almost any anime or films. When I see old James Bond or films like Blade Runner, I can only feel pity at how pathetic entertainment was at the time. But I didn't feel that way when I was a child and saw them. Movies get old-fashioned quite quickly (for me at least).

HennaSaru
Aug 6, 2003, 20:35
difficult!
I haven´t seen them all but for the moment i like Spirited Away and Tonari no Totoro the best.

BTW:
Tonori no Totoro was made 1988 I think and is kicking Disney´s butt regarding animation and character design. That´s something I think is fantastic!

Nikorasu
Aug 6, 2003, 21:45
First film I saw was Spirited Away, it absolutely swept me away and wanted to take part of the adventure, simply loved it and it was my favorite movie...that is untill I saw Mononoke Hime, now that Jiburi movie is totally awesome, I was stunned after watching it and I must say it is my favorite Jiburi movie...

jeisan
Aug 9, 2003, 10:58
i havent seen them all yet either but i say mononoke hime.
i beleive the reason spirited away is so popular is because it was released in major theaters around the world, so its pluasible many more people have seen verus the other ghibli films. plus i think the other films were kept in japan or maybe got out to other asian theaters, so theyd only be on video in other countries, e.g. only anime fans would see them instead of the rest of the general puplic. i know mononoke was in theaters here in the states as well but i cant say for anywhere else.

Gaki
Aug 10, 2003, 06:30
I only havent seen three of them (-_-; ) well one of the three hasnt been released yet so that doesnt really count =P

I cant really choose a favorite, they are all so good !!

>*<Hydeist Fuu>*<
Aug 16, 2003, 03:39
Well...I just LOVE the Ghibli works, but Nausic臑 is the best for me...:cool: Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi is pretty good, and Mimi wo Sumaseba...aaaw, mega-cute, no da? ^__^ x :D

Gackt's Twin Fan
Aug 16, 2003, 05:33
I haven't heard of the other ones. :confused:

SirJeannot
Aug 19, 2003, 08:11
porco rosso, because of the atmosphere :)

but i like all animes from g. studios :o

dadio
Aug 25, 2003, 07:13
I own just about all of 'em on DVD...
& I'd hafta say Totoro... because it is just so sweet & innocent!...
sure, technically it's not up there with the newer Ghibli films...
but it's a really lovely film to watch & think of your childhood... & I love the catchy song too!... Fireflies is *beautiful* & so, so sad...
Mononoke & Spirited Away are technically amazing... & every Ghibli film I've seen is a work of art... but, personally I like Totoro the best!.... aww... it's just so *kawaii!*

X-Japan-FanGrl
Aug 25, 2003, 09:08
I loved Princess Mononoke :happy:

Gackt's Twin Fan
Aug 26, 2003, 08:33
I haven't seen that one...I want to though... I've only saw Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky, and Spirited Away.

jigen
Aug 26, 2003, 11:33
i guess "spirited away" is the new one w the yuuenchi (the theme park etc)...havent seen that one but i certainly will...so i went for laputa- its just great- the "jules verne" feeling of the "steam" airship technology, the fantasy setting of those old ruins, pirates, deep caves and unbelievable alien technology w that jonathan-swift-feeling, even the music is great- every aspect is just top notch- Tenkuu no Shiro-LAPUTA thats the real thing!

Marc
Aug 31, 2003, 04:07
I've seen most of them and I'll vote for Ocean Waves (Umi ga Kikoeru). The story is not as captivating as the others, the animation quality is poorer but still is my favorite. It reminds me of my high school ages.

noyhauser
Aug 31, 2003, 12:02
Marc... I like ocean waves as well... I lost my copy a long time ago, but it was one of my favorite SG movies. I've been looking for another copy, but I can't find one.

Laputa was another one of my favorites, for exactly the same reason as Jigen said.

Its nice to see that people do have discerning tastes.

-Y-
Sep 9, 2003, 02:37
Talking about Studio Ghibli...

Anybody knows when the Cat Returns will be released in North America?

budd
Sep 9, 2003, 08:48
i voted Porco Rosso, but noting that "Die, Nostradamus!" isn't included...

noxlord
Feb 13, 2005, 09:56
I would say Princess Mononoke all the way. And Spirited away would come second.

Apollo
Feb 13, 2005, 10:12
My favourite is: Grave of the Fireflies!!!
It has social history, and is very emotional and realistic.

Kiyomi
Feb 13, 2005, 22:31
i've only watched 5 -princesss mononoke
-laputa castle in the sky
-kiki's delivery service
-spirited away
-the cat return

and i like them all. i'm not sure which is my fav though. i'm thinking 'bout buyin grave of the fireflies but i'm not sure.

michi
Mar 31, 2005, 14:51
Grave of the Fireflies is so beautiful.

EnzoHonda
Apr 2, 2005, 15:01
Grave of the Fireflies is not easy to watch, it requires a very specific mood. Even so, it is still the best.

morningstar
Apr 2, 2005, 21:05
My first vote to the classic Nausicaa, then Whisper Of The Heart, and Pom Poko.
:blush:

Flashjeff
Apr 9, 2005, 18:23
Kiki's Delivery Service tops my list since it's a cute and delightful coming of age story. I also like Spirited Away and Nausicaa.
:cool:

neowing
Apr 11, 2005, 09:39
I can't vote it.
It's really hard to choose any one.
Studio Ghibli made many animation which tell complicate story about Nature and Human, and Future for child.
Every thing on the lists are teach very good precepts

I just want to say "Everythings are good"

P_RayDub
Apr 13, 2005, 00:30
It was hard to choose but I voted for Grave of the Fireflies, it was really sad but I liked it.

I also like Kiki's Delivery Service,and Spirited Away. I was suprised to see that Castle In the Sky wasn't mentioned. Is the Japanese version titled "Howl's Moving Castle"? Anyway I like all the Studio Ghibli films that I've seen so far.

Did anybody see "The Incredibles" (ya know...The Walt Disney/Pixar movie?)?

Gaki
Apr 13, 2005, 02:47
I've seen most studio ghibli animations and i like them all for different reasons, i think the most fun to watch is PomPoko.

Apollo
Apr 13, 2005, 02:50
I've seen most studio ghibli animations and i like them all for different reasons, i think the most fun to watch is PomPoko.

PomPoko was funny...and also cute I agree. I love the racoons...so kawaii!! :-)

Gaki
Apr 14, 2005, 02:30
PomPoko was funny...and also cute I agree. I love the racoons...so kawaii!! :-)

It's great when they learn magic and have that parade to scare off the humans xD

eastsidefunksta
Apr 16, 2005, 23:42
i'd have to say princess mononoke! that film was well animated, and had a great storyline! :D

IncipientClarity
Apr 17, 2005, 21:59
I liked Howl's Moving Castle most. So far I've only seen Spirited Away, Nausica, Laputa, Princess Monoke, The Cat Returns and a part of the Grave of the Fireflies. I think Howl's Moving Castle was really sweet. I am not really a fan of love stories but somehow love stories in anime style just seemed so touching! haha. The storyline was pretty good in that it makes you think about certain stuff (then again...most of their works are very though provoking) and the animation was superb (as usual). It's difficult to choose one that I think is the best but since Howl's Moving Castle is one of the few love stories that do not put me off (instead I absolutely love it), I'd rank it tops. haha.

Kirisame
Apr 18, 2005, 15:10
Probably Spirited Away. It's a good portrayal of trusting friendship and warm family love.

White Comet
May 4, 2005, 20:01
i'd have to say that porco rosso is one of the best studio Ghibli animations ive seen, due to the fact that i found it exciting from start to end ^^.......i also like spirited away^^ very nice anime...as for nausicaa of the valley of the wind.............that started out really crap and boring for me......but because i watched it in the cinema, it would be weird to just up and go.......so i stayed and watched the movie and i have to say, half way through towards the end, nausicaa of the valley of the wind became very interesting and i liked it alot.
well those are my top three studio Ghibli animations
1. Porco Rosso
2. Spirited Away
3. Nausicaa of the valley of the wind

furan
May 8, 2005, 07:51
well... for starters, ghibli restored my faith in anime, as a lot of these manga adaptations were beging to put me off... so i love them all because they have a reall sence of culture and fantacy behind them.
i'd say Princess Mononoke, probably purly on the basis that i aor wolves. the soundtrack is stunning (as is generally the case with ghibli) but i did prefer the one to spirited away.
i own thoses two and grave of fireflies, whichi'm still waiting for a free moment to watch all th way through *has very litle time, but has owned it for 3 months already!*
from what i've een of it sofar, it's very different to the other two, but i think i might actuall grow to prefer it... i just need a couple of uninterupted hours to watch it properly

Black
May 11, 2005, 18:49
In 1978, Hayao Miyazaki (Studio Ghibli) made a TV series called "Mirai sh&ocirc;nen Conan" (Future Boy Conan). 26 episodes. Has anyone seen it?? It looks great!

I have seen:
-Spirited Away
-Princess Mononoke
-My neighbour Totoro (#1)
They were all great!!

Angy
May 13, 2005, 15:36
It's hard to choose only 1 favorite...but my favorites are
1.Spirited Away
2.The cat returns
3.Princess Mononoke

IceFusion
Jul 11, 2005, 16:00
Ive seen all the movies, and it is definately hard to choose which one is the best... But id have to say Nausicaa is the best in my opinion, it was just so deep and thought provoking, not to mention exciting and visually impressive. I LOVED the flying scenes and the music! :bravo: That song that she sings as a child, which is also the song that plays in the end was so hauntingly beautiful that i had dreams about it throughout my childhood! Thats what i call impact!!

But i also totally loved Spirited Away, The Cat Returns, and Howl's Moving Castle, they are definately up there with Nausicaa.
Howl is so hot and seksi it has to be a sin! :love:

suzu
Jul 16, 2005, 12:37
I love most of ghibli's movies, totoro has to be my favorite thought. But i also love spirited away, grave of fireflies ( that was so sad ) kiki's delivery service and mononoke-hime. I've read the manga version of Nausica but never seen it animated, i really like the manga though ^-^v.

The only ghibli movie i didn't care for is laputa castle in the sky. I really like the robot but the whole movie just didn't click with me.

Mycernius
Oct 14, 2005, 02:51
They are releasing all Studio Ghibli's films in the UK over the next couple of months. What is really p*ssing me off at the moment is that Howl's Moving Castle is on general cinema release in th UK. The local cinemas near me, both national chains, are not showing it. Instead they are showing things like the new Herbie film and other such crap.

xerxes99
Oct 14, 2005, 09:34
I saw Howl's when it was out in the US. It wasn't one of his best, but I really enjoyed it. It has some amazing images in it.

nhannah
Oct 14, 2005, 21:23
Princess Mononoke has to be my favorite

xerxes99
Oct 15, 2005, 04:24
Grave of the fireflies has to be one of the most depressing things I've ever seen in my life. I was seriously depressed for days.

Apollo
Oct 18, 2005, 18:00
Has anyone seen the new Ghibli anime "Howl's Moving Castle" ??

monrepo
Oct 26, 2005, 03:11
I like 'Princess Mononoke'. And 'Spirited away' is a nice movie too. I haven't seen the rest of the movies.

Andro
Oct 26, 2005, 03:14
I think Mononoke Hime is absolutelly the best! I like it very much! :wave:

Hiroyuki Nagashima
Oct 27, 2005, 12:34
"On Your Mark"
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/oym/oym_vhs_pc_japan.jpg

http://bbs.enjoykorea.jp/jaction/read.php?id=enjoyjapan_26&nid=46302&work=search&st=subject&sw=On%20Your%20Mark&cp=1

Music video.
Contains "On Your Mark", "On Your Mark" (Leica Reel - Storyboards by Miyazaki), and "Something There" (the theme song for "Street Fighter II").
http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/video/oym/

Andro
Oct 27, 2005, 15:33
The anime Cat's returns is a Ghibli movie too?

yakutatazu
Oct 28, 2005, 23:56
only seen spirited away. good film.
I'll watch princess mononoke now, if it's so good.

Yokan
Oct 31, 2005, 02:49
It is generally hard to answer this question, however I voted for Sen to Chiro no. Most of the Studio Ghiblis films have fantastic Soundtracks which is actually the main thing I look out for in a Studio Ghibli film is the music. If I had to judge on music, I'd definately pick My Neighbour Totoro which i have the OST for, I actually have the Soundtracks of all of them i think near enough, or all the ones by Joe Hisaishi. But if I had to judge on music and animation, Spirited Away is a number one, and Howl's Moving Castle. At the minute I am downloading The Cat Returns so i could say what I think of it later when I have seen it. In order of what i have seen, and liked, here is my wee chart XD -

Spirited Away
My Neighbour Totoro
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Laputa: Castle in the Sky
Kiki's Delivery Service

kokusu
Oct 31, 2005, 10:57
"On Your Mark"

Nagashima-san, thank you for mentioning this short video. It is one of the most enigmatic stories I have ever seen from Studio Ghibli . . . I always wonder why it was never made into something longer; a scrapped project perhaps?

As for the other films, I have seen all of them except Howl's Moving Castle. My favorite was Omohide Poro Poro ("Only Yesterday"). Though perhaps an over-idealization of rural farm life, the nostalgia evoked is a bittersweet and powerful feeling.

But, then again, I really do enjoy all the Studio Ghibli films. :-)

babar-san
Nov 1, 2005, 08:38
it is truely difficult to say, although its visualy not as impressive as more recent releases, grave of the fireflies sticks out in my mind because of the profound, real-to-life experiences and story revolving around its characters. while spirited away and mononoke hime remain to me more visually oriented and stunning, they also had bigger budgets and are more recent films. grave of the fireflies is an older film, but teaches a strong lesson in morality that anyone can relate to.

Macaroni Ted
Nov 28, 2005, 22:33
i love kiki's delivery service just for beautiful story and the cat of course.
but one of my favourite japanese characters is lupan, but it wasnt on the list
does the castle of cariostro count? if so that , otherwise kiki.

Hyde_is_my_anti-drug
Nov 28, 2005, 23:40
Spirited Away is my favorite. 1. Because it was the first Studio Ghibli film I saw and 2. Because it's just brilliant.

BloodPoi-chan
Dec 12, 2005, 01:46
Spirited away :09: it was love at first sight! :lol:

Gaijinian
Dec 12, 2005, 01:51
I'm thinking hotaru no haka...
But Totoro is probably the most "classic."

But I did like sen to chihiro a lot, too. Close call

Hiroyuki Nagashima
Dec 14, 2005, 11:10
It is Mr. Goro Miyazaki the eldest son of director Hayao Miyazaki
A director the first work "ゲド 戦記(EARTHSEA)" (Ursula K. Le Guin . original)
Special first-run showing more national from July, 2006!

Father / Hayao Miyazaki was against my supervising "ゲド 戦記".
http://www.ghibli.jp/ged_02/

http://www.ghibli.jp/

Mycernius
Apr 25, 2006, 19:59
I've finally seen them all except for Only Yesterday, as they seem to want to release this one in October, which is a bit of a bummer. Plus Ocean waves is not being released on the Studio Ghibli collection, but I managed to get it off ebay. My favourite is Porco Rosso, although I find them all pretty good. I must say my least favourite was Pom Poko, as I thought it didn't gel as well as the others. Waiting to see what they do with Earthsea now

Dutch Baka
May 2, 2006, 04:11
To bad I can only choose 1.

I liked Spirited away, it´s just so beautiful how she creates kindness, and a pure heart. But this is also in Howl´s moving castle.

So yeah I love Ghibli because of the details they put in the anime, and the kindness!! Love, wish I could do this with my mind.

Luyuki_sahemo-HL
May 6, 2006, 05:38
think that are spirited away and the cat returns o.o

epigene
May 6, 2006, 19:46
Trailer for "Gedo Senki" (Earthsea, reportedly based on the third book of Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea Cycle):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xuMos5bgOc&search=gedo%20senki

At least, I like the trailer! :cool:

meiers
Jun 3, 2006, 03:11
Hmmm....
very difficult decision.
My favorites are spirited away, princess mononoke, grave of the fireflies and howl's moving castle....... how can i choose... T.T

Ambar
Jun 5, 2006, 14:10
Spirited Away is Zen to Chihiro? "El Viaje de Chihiro" is my prefer, a like Laputa Castle in The sky too

Precious4e
Jun 5, 2006, 16:00
It's so hard to choose! But I ended up picking Howl's Moving Castle because I liked the story a lot.

But I've also seen Totoro, Sprited Away, Pompoko, Only Yesterday, Grave of Fireflies, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Princess Mononoke and loved them all. I would love to see the rest of them someday.

Cue
Jun 6, 2006, 22:28
"On Your Mark"

I second that.

Also, Totoro is my favorite.

Mycernius
Oct 15, 2006, 00:27
I finally have them all, as Only Yesterday was finally released in the UK. I would still say Porco Rosso as my favourite, but Nausicaa and The Cat Returns are up there as well. Also recently bought a box set of Ghibli films, as it had the video On Your Mark on it. Much to my surprise it also had Sore Iro no Tane and Nandarou in the collection.

KittKatt
Oct 25, 2006, 04:49
You can't blame Nausicaa for the graphics, beacuase it was the first one made. I really like all of them, and what makes it so hard to judge them is the fact that they are so different. I mean, Totoro and Mononoke aren't the same at all. I voted Mononoke, but I'm not really sure if it was my favorite.
My avatar as Tonari no Totoro. :-)

norvegia
Oct 25, 2006, 17:39
I loved Spirited Away; have yet to watch Howl's Moving Castle whose OST is great.

Sugar-San
Oct 29, 2006, 00:41
I love spirited away too. It was very good. And the soundtracks are great. ^^

o0littlehands0o
Nov 8, 2006, 14:00
Personally, i think Whispers of the Heart is the most realistic, while Mononoke hime's shows the rawist of the human side and emotions....
i just think that a lot of the stuff isnt' exposed enough to the wide media...like Whispers of the Heart >__<

Sid
Jan 4, 2007, 07:12
Spirited away is such a wonderful movie...
..but Howl's Moving Castle almost made me cry. <3
Hauru is my fav anime bishie ever. XD
The whole story was so cute, i have to see more animes from studio ghibli.

Noelia
May 30, 2007, 03:36
I love Spirited Away!!!!!!

:)

Kikyos_Souls
May 30, 2007, 15:57
I will say Spirited Away.:love: It is my favorite and Miyazaki is a genius! I love him and his work!

Zygimantas
May 31, 2007, 04:26
Yeah, Miyazaki's works were one of the best , and still,are

Alma
Jun 2, 2007, 05:11
...here is my list.. kind of... really had hard time to put it:bluush:

- Grave of the fireflies - 蛍の墓 – out of any kind of competition
1. My neighbour Totoro - 隣のととろ – lot of fun. Really enjoyed (started crying in one part) (yes, i know it's movie for really small kids)
2. Howl's Moving Castle - ハウルの動く城 – very good, interesting to see ''old person'' in leading role. Howl is just great, and fire.. lol
3. Princess Mononoke - もののけ姫 – interesting story
4. Nausica - 谷の風のナウシカ – another girl-hero... great SF
5. Kiki's delivery service - 魔女の宅急便 – little witch is flying and delivering post. Interesting story, loved paintings from girl in wood.
6. Spirited Away - 千と千尋の神隠し – really good movie. But, partially scary, and definitely too long.
7. Whisper of the Heart - 耳をすませば – contain cat figure from ''the cat returns''. Funny. Corny ending, but nice movie.
8. The cat returns - 猫の恩返し – another children story that kept me watching and i enjoyed. A lot of interesting details, weird too.
9. Porco Rosso - 紅の豚 – i love fantasy, but here just didn't like concept of pig-man, or whatever was that. But story overall was good.

these I haven't seen:
Laputa Castle in the Sky - 天空の城ラピュタ
My neighbours the Yamada - ホウホケキョ隣の山田君
Pompoko - 平成狸合戦ぽんぽこ
Only Yesterday - おもひでぽろぽろ
Ocean waves - 海が聞こえる
actually, of these, I just heard of castle in the sky :bluush:

so, I will not vote for now... really can't point out just one as the best
:blush::wave:

William Spencer
Jun 13, 2007, 15:23
I'm going to be a wet blanket and say that there needed to be a "None' option in this poll. While Studio Ghibli has certainly produced some good animation (Mononoke Hime comes to mind), I reckon it's gets too much praise and kudos. I watched Gedo Senki (Tales from Earthsea) (2006) the other day here in Sydney Australia in Japanese with subtitles. It was on limited release in a local cinema which typically features art house film. I came away from the film feeling a bit ho hum. Maybe it was Miyazaki Goro's direction or something else but it was like many of the Ghibli movies cloyingly sweet, completely heterosexist, and moralistic (gasp like Disney! is this why Miyazaki Hayao is seen to be JApan's Walt Disney?). While not all Ghibli's movies have this aftertaste, many do and it has really turned me off that style of anime. Give me anime that takes me out of my comfort zone and challenges me such as Ishii Mamoru's work or even stuff like Lain Serial Experiments. I know it's each to his or her own taste but hey Ghibli is simply too mainstream for me these days.

justin
Jun 14, 2007, 13:11
I'm going to say Kiki's since it was the first one that I saw. Its just one of those movies that brings a smile to your face. :)

=w=eezer
Jun 14, 2007, 14:12
Castle in the sky is my favorite so far. I haven't watched Totoro yet though..even though I have the DVD.:p

northsider1983
Jun 15, 2007, 13:38
Hmm, I would have thought that it would have gotten more votes, but I love Howls Moving Castle the best!

Kuroyume
Jul 18, 2007, 04:26
Mononoke Hime!
but in fact all films I've seen are great..

Geostigma
Jul 29, 2007, 05:59
Naushika is definitely my favorite Ghibli film. Sumi Shimamoto's voice acting for the title character is nothing short of breath taking. One minute she's a gentle peace loving girl, the next she's a fierce warrior fighting for her people.

Miyazaki is also a master of subtlety. I can think of one scene in particular from Naushika that is a prime example of this. Naushika is being transported from her home by a fleet of Torumekian warships with hostages also from her village being towed in a smaller plane behind. The warships are attacked by a Pejite pilot and the rope is severed, letting her fellow villagers slowly decend into the poison forest below where the huge insects await them. In the chaos, she finds an escape plane and uses it to escape the exploding warship and save her friends. She puts on her mask that protects people from the poison of the forest and catches up to them, only to find out that she cannot pull them out of the clouds due to their hook being broken. They are ready to accept their fate of being insect food and are giving up. Naushika continues to reassure them that they will be ok and instead of saving herself, she sits up and removes her protective mask letting the wind whip through her hair. Her friends see this and demand that she put her mask back on or risk certain death. Instead, she simply smiles towards them and gives a thumbs up as they slowly drift down onto a lake surrounded by enormous insects. Her smile alone is enough to give them hope to try to live on. It's that type of subtlety that is only possible from Hayao Miyazaki through the perfection of the character of Naushika.

MadamePapillon
Jul 29, 2007, 07:40
As much as I loved Spirited Away I have to say Princess Mononoke is the best I've seen so far.

I thought when I first saw it that Howl's Moving Castle was really good to, but I like it less having read the book.

Remy
Aug 5, 2007, 20:35
Personally I like Nausica and Spirited Away.

japantvhost
Aug 11, 2007, 17:56
ToToro and Kiki's delivery made me an anime fan

xGarnetx
Aug 15, 2007, 20:09
I love Princess Mononoke! I can watch it thousand times... Miyazaki is a genius! :cool:

anindya
Aug 17, 2007, 23:00
Hmmmm,
Princess Mononoke, in my opinion

Wantalk
Aug 17, 2007, 23:20
Totoro...cause I`ve caught some of my young students calling me that. Yes, I am tall and fat>

Eponine
Jan 3, 2008, 20:05
Spirited Away without a doubt - but I haven't seen all the options on the list, must rectify that :-)

Hopeanuoli
Jan 3, 2008, 20:15
It's either Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke or My Neigbour Totoro.

All of which are great. But then again, I'm sure all the movies on that list are great (I haven't seen them all.)

SOnoMidori
May 30, 2008, 13:46
I like "My neighbour Totoro". This is my favorite movie.
Especially I love Makkurokurosuke. They are small black fairies and so cute.
I want to meet them.

Kirakira1232
Jun 2, 2008, 10:02
Kiki's Delivery Service!

But really its a hard question...I love them all equally in some way or form. Kiki's delivery service I think resonated the most with me at the time I watched it...

GodEmperorLeto
Jun 2, 2008, 10:48
Wait, wasn't Castle of Cagliostro a Miyazaki flick? Or are Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli not synonymous?

ASHIKAGA
Jun 2, 2008, 12:11
Wait, wasn't Castle of Cagliostro a Miyazaki flick? Or are Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli not synonymous?

No, Studio Ghibli was founded AFTER the release of Nausicaa. So, technically, Nausicaa is not a Ghibli film but it is usually considered one as the making of that film was one of the main the reasons they decided to found Studio Ghibli.

Castle of Cagliostro was Miyazaki's first feature as a director and it was released way before Nausicaa.

Mycernius
Jun 4, 2008, 00:35
I have added Tales of Earthsea onto the Poll.

ukikusa
Jun 10, 2008, 18:47
My favorete studio ghibli anime is "Spirited Away".
I have watched it five times in cinemas.I like studio ghibli anime very much!
And I'm looking foward to watch "gake no ue no ponyo"(sorry, I don't know the english title.)

ASHIKAGA
Jun 10, 2008, 19:16
And I'm looking foward to watch "gake no ue no ponyo"(sorry, I don't know the english title.)

I am looking forward to the new film also. According to the media, the animation for this film is done entirely in watercolor.

Mycernius
Jun 11, 2008, 04:11
The English title is "Ponyo on a Cliff"

isuyumi
Jun 12, 2008, 05:14
ohhhh spirited awway by far its like whhoooaa sugoi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol same same.......ur so right

ukikusa
Jun 16, 2008, 15:52
I am looking forward to the new film also. According to the media, the animation for this film is done entirely in watercolor.

The English title is "Ponyo on a Cliff"
Thank you for the response and many information!

Prizm
Jun 23, 2008, 19:54
I didn't like Spirited Away, I thought it was lame. Beautiful to look at though. My favourites of the ones I've seen are Only Yesterday and Grave of the Fireflies. I don't like all the fantasy stuff where people turn into spirits and whatnot.

pipokun
Jul 3, 2008, 23:38
A Ghibli-like news story

ネコの郵便屋さん、2家族結ぶ 熊本・天草
熊本県天草市に手紙を運ぶネコがいる。首輪に手紙をぶ ら下げ、かわいがってくれる近所の2軒を行き来し、も う20通ほど「配達」した。
http://www.asahi.com/national/update/0702/SEB200807020020.html

Tama (Azukichi)'s delivery service, Kumamoto
A cat has already delivered 20 letters between two families who take care of it.
The cat, Tama, originally born at the Yamamoto's house 3 years ago, had gone somewhere when it turned to be 6 month old. After spending at its new home, named as Azukichi, of Uomoto, it came back to its original home.

Seeing it well-grooming, Mrs. Yamamoto attached a small message to it, "Does anybody keep this cat?". A few days later, she got a replay, "Are you an adult? I saw your good handwriting".
After several exchanges, she found that the present owner was a 15 year old student.
http://www2.asahi.com/national/update/0702/images/SEB200807020017.jpg

maxcohen
Jul 18, 2008, 00:02
My favorite Ghibli movie is Spirited Away, but there are so many of them which are absolutely awesome! I'm trying to watch as many as I can before going to the Ghibli Museum in October, and so far they have all been extremely enjoyable, if not totally heart wrenching (Grave of the Fireflies :( )

bluepilot
Aug 18, 2008, 05:31
I have seen (and own on DVD) every Ghibli movie ever made or far (is this sadness of devotion).

I really like a lot of Ghibli films because they do not spell thing out in large red capital letters like many other films these days and leave something of mystery. Hence, I own the whole collection. Then there is the romance, the sadness and transience of it all. Problem is that I hardly watch them, because if I watch one, then I have to watch them all...

Only Yesterday is my favourite because it is a love story that is very different to other love stories and it shows a lot of aspects of Japanese culture. Well, a lot a ghibli films do but this one showed family life, farming, a brief history lesson, country life e.t.c so it was a tapestry of infomation.

The second is Porco Rosso, another brillent love story but with excitement and pirates annd spunky girls

'Only Yesterday' is my favourite for this

ansatz
Aug 19, 2008, 02:03
The problem for me with Ghibli movies is picking my favorite. It depends on the mood and the crowd I'm watching it with. I have not seen a bad Ghibli movie, and I have most of them on my shelf.
I picked Totoro just because it is almost always an instant pick-me-upper. The detail of the Japanese countryside is amazing and the characters sneak into your hart.
Spirited Away and Howl's are amazing artworks in their own rights, but feel a bit "formula". Whisper of the Hart and only Yesterday have become my current favorites - the "slice of life" elements appeal to me and while they pull you into their angle of something very everyday, you get glimpses of the Japanese way of life, which quite a few on this board (myself included) might have romanticised.
Have watched Fireflies once and doubt I will be watching it soon again. It is an absolutely brilliant movie, but it just hurts too much to watch something like that. :-(

nazuki
Jan 22, 2009, 11:03
"Spirited away" it's one of the best anime I've seen

ASHIKAGA
Jan 22, 2009, 11:57
.....Have watched Fireflies once and doubt I will be watching it soon again. It is an absolutely brilliant movie, but it just hurts too much to watch something like that. :-(

I have heard/read so much about that movie and held the DVD in my hand several times at my local rental shop, but I just could not bring myself to watch it. It just sounds too painful to watch.

bluesratapoil
Jan 24, 2009, 13:44
My favorite is Spirited Away. i watched in a Kyushy cinema on a 31 December just after a onsen with some japanese friends. That was just a great feeling !

Koos83
Aug 27, 2009, 17:54
Hmm I haven't seen that many Studio Ghibli films yet, but I'd have to say my favourites are Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. My Neighbour Totoro is incredubly cute as well. :)

ekoy
Sep 4, 2009, 22:25
I'd say that my favourite would be Howl's Moving Castle and The Cat Returns! I bought a box set of all the Studio Ghibli DVDs about a year back and it has been a blast to watch all these flicks once again! :)

XpHoBiaX
Oct 4, 2009, 02:13
I've been on a Miyazki flick kick for the past month. o_o I really love his/studio ghibli films. I've been rewatching most of the films on that list.

They're all very well done, it's hard to choose a faveorite. Although, I remember watching Tonari no Totoro when I was about 5, and that is usually a defualt pick.
I am afraid to watch Fireflies as well. Everyone I know says it's very sad.

karamazu
Nov 3, 2009, 06:26
Nausica, definitely. I've loved every Miyazaki film I've seen (I haven't seen them all yet) for one reason or another, but Nausica hit all the right notes with me.

ikkoikki
Nov 11, 2009, 23:28
Forced to choose, I voted for Mononoke Hime, although I do love Porco Rosso and always feel the heartstrings tugged a little with Grave of the Fireflies.

Mycernius
Jan 31, 2010, 06:14
I have added Ponyo to the poll
Also anyone in the UK, Ocean waves has been recently released as part of the Ghibli Collection, subtitled only.

Thrillhelm
Feb 1, 2010, 20:59
My favourite is Mononoke Hime.
It's the one that made the Ghibli Studio more popular here in Germany, though certain movies have been around for years on TV.

metalmark666
Feb 1, 2010, 23:50
I watched a Ghibli short cartoon when visiting the Ghibli Museum, It was called Hoshi o Katta Hi, or The Day I Harvested a Star. It was in Japanese with no English subtitles so I didn't have much idea as to what was going on. It was still fascinating to watch. Not sure if you can watch the movie anywhere else apart from at the museum. :(

tetsunihon
Feb 21, 2010, 09:09
I say Princess Mononoke becuase it was like fast action from the start and gradually leads you into a moderate paced storyline without the boredum that forces you to sit thru it just becuase its a half disney japanese anime.