PDA

View Full Version : Chinese toy boss commit suicide

A ke bono kane kotto
Aug 14, 2007, 17:13
Here in Europe we hear everyday of the dangers of cheap Chinese toys. Some have toxic paint, and other can catch fire.
BBC says (news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6943689.stm) that a co-owner of Lee Der Toy Company killed himself after "1.5 million toys made for Fisher Price were withdrawn from sale" for safety reason.
I don't understand why Chinese companies make dangerous toys. They could not be able to sell them, so they will lose so much money. Strange strategy.

maushan3
Aug 15, 2007, 06:49
Because it is cheaper. Just look back at the stories about Chinese toothpaste and pet food. Then again, see at the fast-food chains, they are cheaper than restaurants mainly because they are near-plastic burguers, which is cheaper becuase they cheap tons and tons of them frozen, which I assume is ridiculously cheaper than preparing them at the moment.

Mauricio

EmperorHirohito
Aug 15, 2007, 07:14
Over in the UK there is now a situation where all Mattel toys made in China are being taken off the shelves of toy shops, something about lead based paint being used and small magnets which are considered a choking hazard.

Also BBC News also mentioned a Chinese toy maker being arrested for bribery and corruption and being executed.

A ke bono kane kotto
Aug 15, 2007, 21:49
Because it is cheaper. Just look back at the stories about Chinese toothpaste and pet food. Then again, see at the fast-food chains, they are cheaper than restaurants mainly because they are near-plastic burguers, which is cheaper becuase they cheap tons and tons of them frozen, which I assume is ridiculously cheaper than preparing them at the moment.
Mauricio

What is the purpose of making cheaper products if they cannot sell them ? They should know that rich countries have strict quality controls.

Uncle Frank
Aug 15, 2007, 21:58
It said some of the recalled stuff was sold in 2002 and just now caught? Guess our inspectors here in the US are understaffed or asleep at the switch?

Uncle Frank

:?

EmperorHirohito
Aug 16, 2007, 04:56
I think toy inspectors have been caught napping in more than one country Uncle Frank. If toys are so cheap it does make you wonder what corners are cut in order to make them so cheap.

Alma
Aug 16, 2007, 06:46
What is the purpose of making cheaper products if they cannot sell them ? They should know that rich countries have strict quality controls.

why anybody does something bad/illegal and thinks he's going to get away with it(for a while, or forever). is it in human nature, or is it reaction on situation? it is very complex question, you know.

:wave:

gs001
Aug 24, 2007, 22:59
if 100% of Chinese products are dangerous, then China must be a evil
country who wants to harm the whole world.
it 10% of Chinese products are dangerous, then China must take strict
measure to control the quality of Chinese products.
if only 1% of Chinese pruducts are dangerous, and someone endeavors
to demonize all Chinese products, then he must be a evil man.
I suggest your "rich people" keeping away from chinese products, so
that we don't need to bother each other.
OK?

gs001
Aug 26, 2007, 09:02
Chinese government is also responsible for that
because of its stupid low exchange rate policy.
that makes China imports raw materials at high price,
and exports processed goods at low price,
and cause those manufacturers don't have enough money to
adopt advanced equipment and qualified raw materials to
guarantee the quality of their products.
So, if "rich countries" want to get qualified goods,
you should join together to force Chinese government
to appreciate its currency.

-Rudel-
Aug 27, 2007, 03:41
Isnt that what the G8 Summit is all about?