PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito repellent mobile phone tone

Maciamo
Jul 14, 2003, 15:25
BBC News : S Korean mobiles to zap mosquitoes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3063401.stm)

From Monday, subscribers to SK Telecom Company will be able to download a sound wave that humans cannot hear, but that annoys mosquitoes within a range of one metre (one yard).

For the fee of $2.5, customers can then play the sound by pressing a few keys on their phones.

The mobile phone emits a noise similar to the buzz of a male mosquito, which the blood-sucking females tend to avoid.

Although it uses handset battery power faster, the service is expected to be very popular during Korea's hot, humid summers.

jspecdan
Aug 14, 2003, 07:27
:D :D :D

Erik
Aug 14, 2003, 07:51
Originally posted by Maciamo
BBC News : S Korean mobiles to zap mosquitoes (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3063401.stm)

Cell phones are already annoying enough... now to hear a few dozen people purposely play the distict sound pattern of the male mosquito...I'm glad this hasn't made it to North america yet. =)

Random fact: Did you know that the female sucks blood and the male does not?

Twisted
Aug 14, 2003, 14:53
Originally posted by Erik
Random fact: Did you know that the female sucks blood and the male does not?

Wow! Just like it is with humans!

Erik
Aug 14, 2003, 15:45
Originally posted by Twisted
Wow! Just like it is with humans!

After writing this, I was thinking the same... =D

Carolgirl00
Aug 14, 2003, 16:30
lol, women are vampire now? haha. but wait if humans can't hear it maybe it's just a scam. I mean you wouldn't be able to tell or not. Well then again you'd see if the mesquitos were biting........ok nevermind. O.o

Maciamo
Aug 14, 2003, 17:38
Originally posted by Erik
Cell phones are already annoying enough... now to hear a few dozen people purposely play the distict sound pattern of the male mosquito...I'm glad this hasn't made it to North america yet. =)

Have you missed that this sound is inaudible for humans ?

thorgrimfile
Aug 18, 2003, 02:28
Saw a piece on that on NHK (or some other J-TV channel, can't remember which...). Some guy from the network took his ketai out into the woods while playing the tone continuously (what a trooper!). He was promptly feasted upon by many mosquitos. Save your yen for another beer (enough of those, and you won't notice the bites...).

Erik
Aug 18, 2003, 07:02
Originally posted by Maciamo
Have you missed that this sound is inaudible for humans ?

Hmm, so I did! Ah well, still felt good to ***** about cell phones. =D