PDA

View Full Version : kanreki ŠÒ—ï

Maciamo
Jul 12, 2003, 12:10
I heard today of "kanreki" or the celebration of somebody's 60th birthday. I was told its a very special birthday as it is believed the person goes back to childhood (?).

Could anybody give me more detailed explanation about this ?

NANGI
Jul 12, 2003, 19:51
Konnichiwa Maciamo-san!

Yes, "Kanreki" is very important 60th birthday in Japan. But why one's 60th birthday? Why the person goes back to childhood? What is that meaning?

"Kanreki" is related to Japanese old calendar. I think that you had heard about "Eto". "Eto" is the twelve horary signs of calendar. Each signs change every year and it go round in twelve years.
And there is another signs. It is a "Jikkan". "Jikkan" has a ten signs and change every years too.

"Eto" has twelve signs and "Jikkan" has ten signs. Each signs change every year and there are 60 combinations of "Eto" and "Jikkan".

This 60th year is "Kanreki". "Kan" means circulate(return) and "Reki" means calendar. "Kanreki" means circulate(return) calendar(year) in literal.

One's "Eto" and "Jikkan" return the first combination in his 60th birthday. It is the same combination to his birth year. And it is said that the person goes back to childhood(babyhood) in Kanreki.

NANGI

Maciamo
Jul 12, 2003, 21:14
Thanks a lot Nangi-san. It makes sense. I feel a little more Japan-aware now. :cool: