PDA

View Full Version : Fat or underweight ? JREF members test yourselves !

Maciamo
Dec 29, 2006, 18:34
BMI, or Body Mass Index (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index), was developed by the Belgian statistician and anthropometrist Adolphe Quetelet (1796-1874). It is calculated by dividing the subject's weight in kilograms by the square of his/her height in metres (BMI = kg / m2).

The current definitions commonly in use establish the following values, agreed in 1997 and published in 2000:

anorexia : <17.5
underweight : <19.1 (women) or <20.7 (men)
in normal range ideal weight : 19.1-25.8 (women) or 20.7-26.4 (men)
marginally overweight : 25.8-27.3 (women) or 26.4-27.8 (men)
overweight : 27.3-32.3 (women) or 27.8-31.1 (men)
very overweight or obese : >32.3 (women) or >31.1 (men)
severely obese : 35 - 40
morbidly obese : 40 - 50
super obese : 50 - 60 kg/m2

So if you weigh 65 kg and are 1.70m tall, the calcaulation goes like this :
65 / 1.7 x 1.7 = 22.49 (normal weight)

You can also let this website (http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm) calculate everything for you (also uses pounds and inches for Americans). The result will show up under "Medical Recommendation" => Your current Body Mass Index is ... kg/m2

ghettocities
Dec 29, 2006, 18:41
I haven't been eating at all lately, it is caused by a mixture of pre-Japan anxiety and post-Japan stress.

Josh

Chris K
Dec 29, 2006, 19:10
BMI is a total waste of time. Now im not gonna pretend to be slim and trim but my BMI is always inflated due to higher than average muscle mass. With the price and availiability of bodyfat measurement gadgets nowadays, there a much better guide.

Anchyyy
Dec 30, 2006, 00:54
My index is 23.9, but i'd still like to lose a few kgs :relief:

Live91
Dec 30, 2006, 01:06
Mine is "normal range" border overweight but I have pretty big bones...I''m pretty average except for that.

Maciamo
Dec 30, 2006, 03:45
BMI is a total waste of time. Now im not gonna pretend to be slim and trim but my BMI is always inflated due to higher than average muscle mass. With the price and availiability of bodyfat measurement gadgets nowadays, there a much better guide.

The ideal weight range for men is 20.7 to 26.4. 6 kg/m2 is quite enough as a margin. For example, if you are 1m85. it means that your ideal eright could be anywhere between 71kg and 90kg. Don't tell me you have over 19kg of muscle more than another person the same size and "slimness" as you !

Mycernius
Dec 30, 2006, 05:39
You'll find a lot of sportsmen, especially in games such as rugby, American and Australian football, etc., that are obese according to the BMI index. I rate as overweight, but when I was weighed and measured at the gym my body fat is within normal limits of a person of my size. In fact it is near the lower end of the recommened percentage, so what exactly makes my overweight? These type of things, along with other dietry advice reminds me of Woody Allens Sleeper.
"It's nicotine. One of the healthiest things for you.":-)

Goldiegirl
Dec 30, 2006, 05:48
23.4....normal...but I still feel larger than a lot of people. My physician and my nutritionist don't but too much emphasis on bmi. They look at the person as a whole to determine what weight is ideal for their health. It's just a good place to get an idea of where you are. My scale at home measures body fat. A small electrical charge goes through you as you stand of the scale (it doesn't hurt and you don't feel anything) and depending how fast it travels through you, determines your percentage of body fat. It measures me at 22, so it is close to the bmi calculator.

Iron Chef
Dec 30, 2006, 06:27
17.9 woohoo 8-) Not bad for a middle-aged fart.

Damicci
Dec 30, 2006, 07:15
25kg/m2

Perfect male Specimen!!!!! LMAO

Uncle Frank
Dec 30, 2006, 07:22
OOOOHH big guy checks in at 29!! Better watch it or I will look like this poor internet addicted guy, LOL.

Uncle Frank

:blush:

Goldiegirl
Dec 30, 2006, 11:42
ewwww!!!! it's the naked part that bothers me. I would never touch anything in that house, that's for sure! :shock:

Uncle Frank
Dec 30, 2006, 21:14
ewwww!!!! it's the naked part that bothers me. I would never touch anything in that house, that's for sure! :shock:

I wonder if the poor guy ever knew his picture would go all over the world on the internet; what a way to get your 15 minutes of fame!

Uncle Frank

:blush:

Satorian
Dec 31, 2006, 02:31
Hmmm, I'm at 20.5, but I have a fair bit of lean muscle from football, running and doing pushups, sit-ups and the occasionally lifted weight.

@Chris K: Nobody should make profound medical decisions based on minimal BMI differences, but for a general assessment it's still a fairly valid tool in my opinion. Of course there are deviances towards both ends of the muscular-fat spectrum, but it works well enough for most people.

As for body fat, home equipment isn't of much use really. We have a pretty expensive weight scale with induction fat measurement, but it shows 6% for me and those kinds of measurements are useless for anything under 12-15%, so I don't put much stock in that.

Iron Chef
Dec 31, 2006, 03:26
Nice pic there Frank 8-)

chocolateangels
Dec 31, 2006, 06:58

yeah this persons right. BMI is really silly coz muscle weighs more than fat. Its probably better to go and get a body fat check.

Tsukiko-chan
Dec 31, 2006, 07:08
ideal !!! But I'm still yong.. Then it is a bit diffrent

Riyko
Jan 1, 2007, 14:36
29.3 it says i'm just barely overweight by 4kgs.

pbjsandwich
Jan 1, 2007, 14:59
16.5... gah... =.= New Year's resolution: Eat more.

MRC1
Jan 2, 2007, 01:15
Now that I am over 50, I notice that I cannot keep the weight off as when I was young even though I do physical work and walk between 7 to 15 miles a day while at work.

sabro
Jan 2, 2007, 01:46
Overweight 28.9 BMI... (but not obese.) The BMI isn't any different to the actuary tables that were used for years, and it is one measure-- but not the only measure of health. I don't tend to pay close attention to the numbers... although I just lost about 35 pounds (16kg). You should also look at your body fat percentage and keep a check on your blood pressure and blood sugar and other measures of health. By BMI alone almost all professional athletes in the NFL, NHL, and the fighters on UFC are overweight.

Seon-a Kim
Jan 2, 2007, 01:47
What's with the "m&#178;"?

I'm 63 kg in total and that's that.

sabro
Jan 2, 2007, 02:28
Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic is a MMA fighter from Croatia... at 6'2" and 220 pounds, he is overweight.

BrennaCeDria
Jan 3, 2007, 12:54
I figured mine with lbs and feet a few months ago for class... I was .2 under the top of the "normal" range, so while I'm doing okay I'd like to convert what I've got to muscle, so that I'm healthier overall.

Dutch Baka
Jan 9, 2007, 22:43
My BMI is 21.1, so I am pretty satisfight about that. But I do want to gain at least 3-4 kilo, but I think with working out a little bit more, and eat some more in the morning will do.

Thanks for the test.

Kinsao
Jan 10, 2007, 03:33
mine's 22.3, i think that is ok :)

Edit: well, i darn well hope it is, considerin my post is at the top of the page! :biggrin:

Satorian
Jan 10, 2007, 07:20
Kinsao, you look skinnier than 22.3. You sure you did not make a mistake in your calculations? :souka:

16.5... gah... =.= New Year's resolution: Eat more.
Good resolution. I think 15 is considered indication of an imminent death by hunger, so you'd do well to get some, erm, cushioning.

MeAndroo
Jan 10, 2007, 07:56
I'm at 27...and I think it's going to be tough to get to 165 lbs and have any muscle on me.

At least I'm heading in the right direction, though...I'm sure it was much higher before.

Does this account for having a big *** head? Cuz I do :)

Satorian
Jan 10, 2007, 08:34
Don't be discouraged though. When I was 18 (so, about 7 years ago) I was at 31.3, which is a difference by about 10 points to my current weight. :-)

Kinsao
Jan 11, 2007, 01:20
Kinsao, you look skinnier than 22.3. You sure you did not make a mistake in your calculations? :souka:

lol i'm not skinny at all! my height is 160cm and i weigh 55kg. so i think the calculation is right. :)
maybe i look thinner than i am really because i have mostly muscle and not really any fat, and my bones are quite sticky-outy >.<

Satorian
Jan 11, 2007, 04:24
You sure didn't climb the scale with your guitar or bass still slung around your neck? :p

Kinsao
Jan 11, 2007, 20:01
Haha, no. But I did work out. :cool:

tampopo
Jan 14, 2007, 21:48
23.91 so in the midst of the table...

But am confused about the mention of the photograph, what photo, where is it???

-Rudel-
Jan 23, 2007, 01:33
22.0 154Lbs. Right where I need to be :-)

Nicky
Jan 23, 2007, 08:19
19.4, I'm pretty happy with it considering that it was 18 just a few months ago. =| I am finally "Ideal" hooray!

kinsey87
Jan 26, 2007, 00:46
I'm quite a bit underweight, however much I eat, I don't gain weight, >.>. Mine came out as 14.2kg/m2

hideway
Jan 26, 2007, 01:05
I've ideal weight. Unfortunly it's all concentrated on my belly. :(

/me curses beer.

Absolute Zero
Jan 26, 2007, 02:23
I'm considered to be overweight by my doctor. I am near 250 lbs. (if any one understands). But I'm working on it.

mika_r
Feb 6, 2007, 01:34
i'm 1,67 and 58 kilos. i think i should weight 53 kilos. so i'm on diet XD

Lady Blue
Feb 7, 2007, 02:23
I'm in normal range, but I'd really prefer If i could lose like... 5kg.

tigi
Feb 7, 2007, 17:44
this post is useless. some ppl have too much muscle for their heigth. for example im bit overweight and i weight 82kg for 1,70. I checked my ideal weight and it was 76kg (gotta loose that 6 kg omfg aodnjoasdnojandadns).
But im a dog and i dont like running :_(

justin
May 12, 2007, 08:26
I have a few extra pounds, but I'm knocking them off with boxing and weight lifting. The diet part is killing me!

Goldiegirl
May 12, 2007, 08:47
I just noticed how this thread was worded...Fat or underweight ...it just occured to me how terrible that sounds and is. This isn't written skinny or overweight. Somehow saying fat sounds mean, maybe I am just reading too much into this. I think it should be overweight or underweight, but hey that's just my opinion.

Zaff
May 13, 2007, 18:44
BMI is a general quick way to find this out but as earlier somebody pointed out its a load of poo really. Body Fat Percentage is the way to go for this.

Jay cutler my favorite bodybuilder has a BMI of 42!! Now ill show you a photo of him.

http://www.gabriellereillyweekly.com/gabrielle_reilly/fitness/fitness_health_diet_gabrielle_reilly/jay_cutler2.jpg

That gent has never been "Morbidly Obese" just pure muscle machine!!

KirinMan
May 13, 2007, 20:08
BMI is a general quick way to find this out but as earlier somebody pointed out its a load of poo really. Body Fat Percentage is the way to go for this.
Jay cutler my favorite bodybuilder has a BMI of 42!! Now ill show you a photo of him.
http://www.gabriellereillyweekly.com/gabrielle_reilly/fitness/fitness_health_diet_gabrielle_reilly/jay_cutler2.jpg
That gent has never been "Morbidly Obese" just pure muscle machine!!

Geez I wouldn't mind being "fat" like him.....wait a minute....yes I would, can you image the amount of time he has to spend every freaking day in the gym to get that body? :eek: :eek: :eek:

EmperorHirohito
May 13, 2007, 20:44
My BMI works out at 27.4, alot lot better from when it was in the mid 30's when i was just a pup, time to lose few more pounds......

SushiShin
May 13, 2007, 23:08
BMI 24 that just great, a girlfriend of mine is 22.5 and another girlfriend of mine is 25.5 thats good too! this formula we learnt friday the body mass index:cool:

Zaff
May 17, 2007, 21:30
Geez I wouldn't mind being "fat" like him.....wait a minute....yes I would, can you image the amount of time he has to spend every freaking day in the gym to get that body? :eek: :eek: :eek:

haha I spend about 2 hours a day in the gym and its all good, its addicting and very fulfilling.

KirinMan
May 18, 2007, 08:48
haha I spend about 2 hours a day in the gym and its all good, its addicting and very fulfilling.

And do you look like the guy in the picture too?

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: to you for it if you are btw.

maushan3
May 18, 2007, 10:05

It is going to the gym everyday and some, uhm, steroids probably. Yeah, I might be jealous. Damn those potein shakes that don't work!

Mauricio

Zaff
May 21, 2007, 17:06
Protein is only a building block of muslce linked along with some amino acids.... Dont get me started on what a real diet consists of, im sick of reading magazines that show these diets.... there full of poop.

Obeika no I dont look like Jay, but I have only been going to a gym for 2 years. If your asking about muscle I am 217 pounds and in the summer I can rock a six pack yes.

Bodybuilding comes in cycles, gain then cut gain then cut gain then cut. SO in the winter you EAT and EAT and EAT I hit about 7 meals a day in the winter. Now im on a cutting cycle so only 5 meals a day and I lower my calories by about 250 a day for 2 weeks then 400 for two weeks. Then back to normal for 2 days then lower again, this tricks the metabolism into working at full rate with less to work on you shred fat not muscle.

Most people will diet and lose more muslce than fat due to how they diet, sure they might lose up to 60lbs but still 20lbs of fat and the other 40lbs is muscle.

Im no expert but I know how to make the most of my body and I drink more beer than a rugby team in full swing.

When im up to scratch you will get a nice picture on my myspace.

AichiAlex
Nov 24, 2007, 21:41
Yess, I'm right at 20.7 :ramen:

TokyoJuliet
Nov 24, 2007, 21:55
ideal weight (19.1-25.8 for women)?!?!?!

I mean, my BMI is about 22 but I still look fat...
I kind of can't believe that these results can be taken serious...

Derfel
Nov 25, 2007, 05:08
Okay i don't get the poll, but im almost 190 cm and roughly 77kg.

White-Hexe
Nov 25, 2007, 14:06
I used the calculator and got 21.8. The area Im supposed to be in for my age and height is 19-25. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Satorian
Nov 28, 2007, 10:15
ideal weight (19.1-25.8 for women)?!?!?!

I mean, my BMI is about 22 but I still look fat...
I kind of can't believe that these results can be taken serious...

Just goes to show you how much our expected image has deviated from what actually is healthy.

Fun fact: There once was a study done on the anatomy of "female" store window mannequins and they found out, that if those were real people, they would a) be unable to fit all internal organs and b) be unable to give birth due to lethal underweight.

Juno333
Dec 5, 2007, 04:24
owwww goodies, I got 20 precisely, ideal weight....hm I don't think of my weight as ideal:souka: aha! science has been lying to me again...figures, completely.....I have watched way to many movies....

bakaKanadajin
Dec 5, 2007, 04:41
I got 31...

I'm not fat though, I work out and train quite a bit. I don't think BMI is accurate for athletes.